Platinum Lineup Info

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
feedmelinguini
Gold Classic Collection

Post by feedmelinguini »

BrandonH wrote:I am really excited to see Pinocchio and Peter Pan get Platinum treatment, even though it means I am double dipping on Peter Pan.
Don't feel so bad. Some of us will have triple-dipped by the time the Platinum Peter Pan comes around.

-Lon
deathie mouse
Ultraviolet Edition

mathematical dethi ponders platinum rereleases worthiness

Post by deathie mouse »

I side with MMB on this :P
We Mouses stick togueter :twisted:

Also, yes, I've seen several UD members complaining more than once about that ORIGINAL spanish soundtrack dub! (which they consider superior in terms of voices/acting, it appears) which is missing from the current DVD but was available on the LD :P

Of course they could always excarbate some more into the vaults and maybe find more stuff and add it/delete some to make the supplements different (i think it was mvealf (not sure) that said all disney releases are unique ) (more art? or a new documentary about the Technirama process-->digital restoration?)

If the Platinum edition ends basically a re-branding with minor changes or even exactly the same I think only multiple editions collectors might buy it! (and those who don't already have it :P) (Or everybody who would buy it and sell the old "packaging" ed. on ebay! :P)

But. There might be a new transfer for the Platinum

Apart from any improved resolution a future HD format may bring, I think the picture quality could be improved in a couple of ways even for a standart plain old ntsc dvd:

First, there's the issue of the current "restoration". Comparing my R2 pan scan vs the R1 widescreen, to me it looks like they just passed the current video transfer through a Lowry process where they cleaned up the master (done from a standart anamorphic 35mm source? instead of from the Technirama negatives) of noise/grain and then to compensate the resulting softer image they did a little edge enhancement. (My R2 image has no edge enhancement and yet it looks better defined and you can see down to the slight fine film grain of the source. Which SHOULDN'T be there as SB was done in Technirama so at NTSC/PAL sizes there should be no grain from a Technirama source.) Even the primary colors look a little more vibrant on my R2 disc. So there still could be improvement in image quality by scanning the original Technirama elements into RGB 4k (like i was done to Snow White's Academy frame at 2979 x 4096 pixels) or even into RGB 8k by the time we get there (at 8k res a SB Technirama frame ends 5461 x 8192 pixels) (or even 8196 x 12,288 pixels depending on the direction of the scanner head as Techniarma is a 35mm sideways proccess!) and then dowrezing into NTSC/PAL. The image would be razor sharp, no edge enhancement, no grain or noise. and the colors would be computer RGB primaries pure. (Actually the RGB Digital master could have primary colors and hues more than twice as saturated as modern display's colors but that's another dethi thread :P)

The other improvement could be the framing/cropping as MickeyMouseBoy points out which if done correctly would show the whole Technirama image letting us see the complete gorgeous backgrounds and animation as you can see here:

(Thanks MMB!)
(and Aaron for special internet services ;))

btw MMB, the SB Technirama negative is actually not 65mm but (as i mentioned above) 35mm film photographed horizontally (sideways, just like 35mm still photo camera film is, instead of vertically, as regular 35mm movies are) through an anamorphic 1.5x squeeze lens onto an image area that is about 24mm x 36mm big. It's image, being done on finest grained slowest speed stock in controlled Disney studio lighting with Still Photography lenses is probably much sharper than live action photographed 70mm films shot though bulkier larger 70mm film lenses.
Come with me into Mathemagical land :P

After mathematical induced deanamorphisis (i just made that term up :P) that ends up being equivalent to about:

Technirama: 19.6mm x 44.1mm (2.25 maximum area aspect ratio)
70mm print: 22.1mm x 48.6 mm (2.20 aspect ratio)
35mm Scope print: 12.7mm x 29.8mm (2.35 aspect ratio) (in 1959)

(The 70mm figure is the actual number cus it's a spherical format (so no anamorphic squeeze) while the (1959) 35mm Anamorphic Scope real numbers are 17.9mm x 21mm, 2x squeeze)

The 65/70mm elements since they are slight blow ups and deanamophisized, have gone through an enlarging optical lens so the image quality is much degraded (but not as much as the almost quarter sized 35mm elements!) compared to the original Technirama element (in other words, even the 70mm prints are just optical dupes, albeit good ones cus they are bigger)

It remains to be seen if all this improvements would end up on a future Platinum release (or Blue-RayDVD)

The future cloudy it is. Always in motion mmmm.. mmmm...
Platinum Edition

Post by MickeyMouseboy »

nice one deathie but you forgot Disney Restored SB from the technirama prints (70mm) to a 65MM back in the late 80s early 90s. Whatever happened to this print and why they weren't used go figure..... the DVD uses the newly restored 35MM digital print.
deathie mouse
Ultraviolet Edition

Post by deathie mouse »

Well my point was that indeed since (as you pointed out) they missed the opportunity of using the 65/70mm elements this time, instead of using them the next time they should go back to the original Technirama negative (which is actually on 35mm film) and redo the whole thing from scratch at 8k with the separated RGB digital method. But if you want them to use the 65/70mm enlargements well ok. I go now to my corner to play with my cheese :cry:
MickeyMouseboy
Platinum Edition

Post by MickeyMouseboy »

awwww me sowie deathie. starting from scratch sounds good! :D The Best place to start is at the very beginning! ::MMB breaks out in song:: when you read you begin with A-B-C when you sing you begin with Do-Re-Mi. The first three notes just happen to be Do-Re-Mi-Fa-So-La-Ti. mmmmmmmmm Let's see if I can make this easier.

Do- A female Deer
Re- A drop of golden sun
Mi- A name I call myself
Fa- A long long way to run
So- A neddle pulling thread
La-A notes that follows So
Ti- A drink with jam and bread!

That will bring us back to Do!
DreamerQ18
Anniversary Edition

Re: Platinum Lineup Info

Post by DreamerQ18 »

ThinkTink wrote:I recently emailed disney with a question about The Little Mermaid platinum and here is the email which contains the OFFICIAL line up!!.....

The Little Mermaid will be released as part of our Platinum Collection, however, it is unavailable at this time. A re-release date has not been set. Here is an official list of our Platinum Collection titles.
Aladdin (released)
Bambi (March 2005)
Beauty and the Beast (released)
Cinderella (October 2005)
The Jungle Book (no date scheduled)
Lady and the Tramp (no date scheduled)
The Lion King (released)
The Little Mermaid (no date scheduled)
Sleeping Beauty (no date scheduled)
Pinocchio (no date scheduled)
Peter Pan (no date scheduled)
Fantasia/Fantasias 2000 (no date scheduled)
Snow White (released)
101 Dalmatians (no date scheduled)

Well its nothing we didnt really know already and I think its nice that a few more titles were added however and myabe this is just me being negative but it seems like the only reason they were added was to possibly bust up video sales... I mean Sleeping Beauty got a great DVD relase what more can you ask for you know? All it needed is PE banner but these are just my thoughts. :)
stitcharielbeast
Limited Issue

Post by stitcharielbeast »

Any chance they'll be adding anymore titles to the Platinum line?

I think Pocahontas, Mulan, Tarzan and Lilo and Stitch deserve to be platinums.
Robin Hood
Anniversary Edition

Post by Robin Hood »

stitcharielbeast wrote:Any chance they'll be adding anymore titles to the Platinum line?

There was no need to bump this thread. Pocahontas and Mulan already have the 2-disc treatment, Tarzan is being re-released in a couple weeks and Lilo and Stitch is expected to have a 2-disc treatment next spring.
- Jonathan
Prince Eric
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Eric »

Robin Hood wrote:
stitcharielbeast wrote:Any chance they'll be adding anymore titles to the Platinum line?

There was no need to bump this thread. Pocahontas and Mulan already have the 2-disc treatment, Tarzan is being re-released in a couple weeks and Lilo and Stitch is expected to have a 2-disc treatment next spring.
First of all, who are you to decide what threads need to be bumped or not. Obviously he is a new member of the forum and at least he's doing what a lot of new members don't do: Searching.

Now, to answer your question Stitch, it would be nice if the Platinum line catered to everyone's personal tastes, but unfortunately, that's not possible. I agree with you on the Pocahontas issue. It's no less the the often proclaimied Fab 4, but it's not in the line. The rest I don't really have much of a complaint with. Now, to stir up a little controversy...

Lilo & Stitch was slated for a 2-Disc release this year, but was indefinately postponed. Now I just thought about this right now, but about a year-and-a-half ago, I remember reading an interview with a Disney bigwig and he was being asked about the Platinum line, particularly if newer hits like Lilo & Stitch would be added to the line. The person did not say yes, but he didn't say no...Thoughts anyone? :lol:
The Top 10 Films of 2005:
1) Brokeback Mountain 2) The Squid and the Whale 3) Me And You And Everyone We Know 4) The New World 5) A History of Violence 6) Match Point 7) Munich 8.) Crash 9) Wallace and Gromit 10) Pride & Prejudice
Alan
Anniversary Edition

Post by Alan »

Those films won't get Platinum edition releases. Pocahontas, Mulan, Tarzan all have two disc releases so far, and lilo and stich will probably have one soon. Besides, I'd like to see older movies like the rescuers get a platinum release. I doub that will happen though.
memnv
Collector's Edition

Post by memnv »

Alan wrote:

Those films won't get Platinum edition releases. Pocahontas, Mulan, Tarzan all have two disc releases so far, and lilo and stich will probably have one soon. Besides, I'd like to see older movies like the rescuers get a platinum release. I doub that will happen though.
I don't see any of these happening either. Mulan was a recent release and Lilo and Stich is scheduled for a Special Edition in 2006.Tarzan was also a recent release as a special edition. Dumbo also looks like a special edition

Next 2 are Lady and the Tramp and Little Mermaid in 2006.
Dark Knight Rulez
Disney Princess Ariellen
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Disney Princess Ariellen »

AwallaceUNC wrote:But the question is, if it's exactly the same release, just with new packaging and a Platinum banner, would you buy it?

-Aaron
Sleeping Beauty? If Aurora is wearing blue on the new package, yes. And I would donate the other copy to my family.
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

Disney Princess Ariellen wrote:
AwallaceUNC wrote:But the question is, if it's exactly the same release, just with new packaging and a Platinum banner, would you buy it?

-Aaron
Sleeping Beauty? If Aurora is wearing blue on the new package, yes. And I would donate the other copy to my family.
I'd rather buy it if they had the kickass R2 cover!

Sorry that the picture's really pixelated...

Escapay
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Disney Princess Ariellen
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Disney Princess Ariellen »

Escapay wrote: I'd rather buy it if they had the kickass R2 cover!
WOW...yes, I'd buy that. :) Heck, that art is so gorgeous that even if the dress WAS pink there, I'd buy it. :) Probably.
Robin Hood
Anniversary Edition

Post by Robin Hood »

Robin Hood wrote:

Sorry for getting so snappy, I didn't realize you were a newbie. :)
- Jonathan
Spottedfeather
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Spottedfeather »

Sleeping Beauty (and all other movies, for that matter) shouldn't have a manditory DTS track because not everybody can afford a surround sound system. The only way that some people can watch/listen to a movie is on a bookshelf stereo system with only two speakers, and therefore stereo sound. I don't mind at all if a dvd is released in two separate versions, one stereo sound and one DTS or other surround. I also don't mind if DTS and Stereo mixes are put on the same disc. But people should have a choice to buy the movie in a version that fits the type of system that they have. On the same token, 5.1 shouldn't be the only audio track on a dvd because sometimes, a 5.1 sound-using movie isn't right on a stereo system. Sometimes the sound volume level can fluctuate, making it annoying to sit though. I'm having this trouble with the Halloweentown High dvd. There's a part in it that drops in volume then comes back up. Highly annoying.
Think about this. Once bread becomes toast, you can't make it back into bread.
deadstone
Limited Issue

RE: The Platinum Line

Post by deadstone »

it is strange how they keep updating the definition of Platinum Titles.

Originally it was going to be the 10 or 12 bestsellers from VHS, with the best packaging, artwork, and video/sound transfer.

Now that they have almost done it to death, they add titles that were never on VHS like Mulan.

Not that it's a bad thing, but to take an example, they first decided that Peter Pan wasn't good enough, now it is good enough which means that Peter Pan (and some others) that were released (eg in France) in great 2-disc editions will now be re-released as Platinum editokns and given the treatment they deserve, but ptobably with lesser artwork and an ordinary keepcase...

I think the time will come when they'll start releasing sequels like Cinderella 2 and Mulan 2 (both of which went straight to the home-video market) as part of the Platinum lineup.

They've already started that with the decision to put Fantasia 2000 out there...

I personally theink the value of the Platinum lineup will be degraded until it's just another buzz word like Platinum Editon, Exclusive Editoion, Prestige Edition, or even the strange 'Masterpiece Edition' :)
Alan
Anniversary Edition

Re: RE: The Platinum Line

Post by Alan »

deadstone wrote: Now that they have almost done it to death, they add titles that were never on VHS like Mulan.
Mulan was on VHS. I have the VHS copy.
memnv
Collector's Edition

Post by memnv »

I have Mulan on Video too, that is why I never got the DVD
Dark Knight Rulez
Lars Vermundsberget
Collector's Edition

Post by Lars Vermundsberget »

Spottedfeather wrote:The only way that some people can watch/listen to a movie is on a bookshelf stereo system with only two speakers, and therefore stereo sound.
I guess there are even some poor people who can listen to a movie only through the TV speaker(s)! :lol: