Platinum Lineup Info

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Lars Vermundsberget
Collector's Edition

Re: RE: The Platinum Line

Post by Lars Vermundsberget »

deadstone wrote:I personally theink the value of the Platinum lineup will be degraded until it's just another buzz word like Platinum Editon, Exclusive Editoion, Prestige Edition, or even the strange 'Masterpiece Edition' :)
I happen to think that's what it's been for a while already - "another buzz word".

I'm not saying there aren't quite a few good 2-disc DVDs around, though.
Evil Genie Jafar
Anniversary Edition
Location: Humacao, Puerto Rico; there's more to PR than San Juan!

Post by Evil Genie Jafar »

deadstone wrote:
I think the time will come when they'll start releasing sequels like Cinderella 2 and Mulan 2 (both of which went straight to the home-video market) as part of the Platinum lineup.

They've already started that with the decision to put Fantasia 2000 out there...
Well, in the particular case of Fantasia 2000 is high budget sequel that intentionally headed to theaters; unlike Return to Neverland and The Jungle Book 2.

So in that way is "fair enough" for it to be a PE.

"You're only second rate!"
Disney-Fan
Platinum Edition
Location: Where it's flat and immense and the heat is intense

Post by Disney-Fan »

Well, Walt said a few times he'd like to see the idea of Fantasia evolve into many more features like it. But since it was a flop, it never really happened. Fantasia 2000 is actually the most respectable "sequel" Disney has made. It was his dream in a way.... Besides, the only thing besides the name that connects the two movies is The Sorcorer's Apprentice. I find it tough to claim it's an actual sequel. More on the lines of inspired by....
"See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve." - The Joker
Lars Vermundsberget
Collector's Edition

Post by Lars Vermundsberget »

Fantasia 2000 should definitely NOT be compared to those other sequels.
Disney Princess Ariellen
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Disney Princess Ariellen »

deadstone wrote: Now that they have almost done it to death, they add titles that were never on VHS like Mulan.
But...Mulan WAS on VHS. That was the only format I owned until the SE DVD came out.

And as for Peter Pan, I don't think it was a matter of not being a good enough MOVIE, but I believe that the original 10 titles slated for the Platinum collection were the 10 titles that had the highest VHS sales.