Disney Villains Countdown - Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Luke
Site Admin

Disney Villains Countdown - Discussion

Post by Luke »

In case you haven't noticed on the front page of the site, the UltimateDisney.com countdown of Disney villains is now going on here:

http://www.ultimatedisney.com/countdown4/

The list of the Top 30 Villains is a result of voting that went on in the forum and by e-mail last August.

Anyway, I thought I'd start a thread to spark discussion - both on the results and on the format of this countdown.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

More people sent in comments about the higher-ranking villains, so in the near future those will start appearing instead of my prose. Two villains will be profiled each weekday until we get down to #1.
"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president
MickeyMousePal
Signature Collection

Post by MickeyMousePal »

What ever happen to our write-ups???
Why didn't Gargoyles villains make it to the countdown? :oops:
The Simpsons Season 11 Buy it Now!

Fox Sunday lineup:

8:00 The Simpsons
8:30 King of the Hill
9:00 Family Guy
9:30 American Dad

Living in the 1980's:
BrandonH
Special Edition

Post by BrandonH »

The current format is fine, but I think it can be tweaked. I'd like to see a certain number of honorable mention choices per day before revealing any of the Top 30. Also, it would have been great to have #1 revealed on Halloween.

Just some suggestions. I eagerly await #26 and #25 tonight.
"Mustard? Don't let's be silly!"
--Mad Hatter, Alice in Wonderland

My DVDs
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

I really like it! The design and change in colors are great. Good job, Luke.

Sad to see (but not surprised) that Barbosa was the only live-action villain to make the cut.

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Sound clips! Nice addition, Luke! And I got quoted in today's listings! :D

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Lucylover1986
Special Edition

Post by Lucylover1986 »

I'm surprised that Madame Mim came in at 25! She doesn't really strike me as a great villian. I can't wait to see the rest of the countdown since there's bound to be some more surprises. I hope they put up 24 and 23 before I have to go to bed!
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Lucylover1986 wrote:I'm surprised that Madame Mim came in at 25! She doesn't really strike me as a great villian. I can't wait to see the rest of the countdown since there's bound to be some more surprises. I hope they put up 24 and 23 before I have to go to bed!
It's up now! Hope you didn't go to bed yet!
Lucylover1986
Special Edition

Post by Lucylover1986 »

No, I didn't yet! LOL. Another surprise seeing Pete at 23! I didn't even think of him.
indrajit

Post by indrajit »

I hope to see Sher Khan (from the Jungle Book) in the top five. Not only is he great in the movie, but is the Disney animated series Talespin, they writers made Khan so great...I almost idolize him! (C'mon wouldn't you like to be as cool as Sher Khan?)

Other villians I hope to see in the top ten are NegaDuck, The Hun Leader, Scar, Don Carnage, The SeaWitch (in Little Mermaid), Cruella DeVille, The Sheriff of Rottingham, Jafar (of course!), and ... how about ... Magica De Spelle?

I personally can't think of any live action Disney villians that belong in the top ten, but if there has to be one it *has* to be Neville Sinclair.

.... Dont Remember him? Think Howard Hughes. Think a Nazi pretending to be an actor. Think of a man flying through the air with a metal helmet and a jetpack.

No its not Bullethead from Talespin. Close. It's "The ....

:D
- indrajit
"Hmmm. The Internet is on computers now."

- H. J. Simpson
Just Myself
Platinum Edition

Post by Just Myself »

indrajit wrote:I hope to see Sher Khan (from the Jungle Book) in the top five. Not only is he great in the movie, but is the Disney animated series Talespin, they writers made Khan so great...I almost idolize him! (C'mon wouldn't you like to be as cool as Sher Khan?)

Other villians I hope to see in the top ten are NegaDuck, The Hun Leader, Scar, Don Carnage, The SeaWitch (in Little Mermaid), Cruella DeVille, The Sheriff of Rottingham, Jafar (of course!), and ... how about ... Magica De Spelle?

I personally can't think of any live action Disney villians that belong in the top ten, but if there has to be one it *has* to be Neville Sinclair.

.... Dont Remember him? Think Howard Hughes. Think a Nazi pretending to be an actor. Think of a man flying through the air with a metal helmet and a jetpack.

No its not Bullethead from Talespin. Close. It's "The ....
Rocketeer"!!! But did you notice Luke said Barbossa would be the only LA villain?
Cheers,
JM :thumb:
OC Films

Top Villians - Pete

Post by OC Films »

I must admit, I really do enjoy Pete.

However, I have to add that I really dont enjoy Pete so much as a villain - at least not an evil villain. Roles in "Three Musketeers" and "Prince & The Pauper", although fun, dont make for my signature Pete moments.

I prefer our peg-legged friend in the guise as obnoxious neighbor. Whether it was in the Donald shorts of the late 40's or as Goofy's friend/nemesis on 'Goof Troop' or the Goofy movies, I think Pete comes across best as just that - the self-absorbed know it all suburban loudmouth.

...Just my $ .02
DisneyChris
Special Edition

Post by DisneyChris »

Luke, I hope you could edit the Sid pic, cos it's cropped very badly with edges all around it. :(

And also, the page layout and villain headshot pic designs should be more classier, IMHO. The current one is... a bit too simple.
indrajit

Post by indrajit »

just myself,

foolish me, didnt read the fine print. Now I wish Sinclair made it instead of Barbossa. I dont find the pirate that villianous. I understand his plight, he stole the coins and he wants to end the curse and is desperate. I actually would like to help him! But Sinclair is just ruthless, and you have no pity for him.

BTW....I recently bought then returned the PotC:CotBP dvd, why? Does anyone notice the layer change halfway through the movie? It goes from a close up of depp, freezes for about half a sec, and cuts to open seas. it's a glaring glitch, and oh so annoying. It's in every dvd of Pirates i checked! I called Disney and they said yes that's a layer change...like there was no problem there! so i returned it. mayebe the 3disc edition will have a better layer change.
"Hmmm. The Internet is on computers now."

- H. J. Simpson
Lucylover1986
Special Edition

Post by Lucylover1986 »

Who do you guys think will be #1? My guess is either Ursula, Malificent, or The Evil Queen from Snow White. These 3 will make the top 5 at least.
disneywb
Gold Classic Collection

Post by disneywb »

indrajit,
The layer change you're experiencing happens in all sorts of movies, and is probably only such a problem because of the player you use. Haven't you noticed a similar problem on other movies? I can also assure you that the three-disc edition will be no different. Sorry- Maybe you just need to get another player.
Lucylover, I've gotta guess that it's either Maleficent or the Evil Queen. Although Ursula is evil, she doesn't get as much attention as other villains because she is so difficult to pull off- I don't see her wandering around fronteirland like the Evil Queen!
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

DisneyChris wrote:And also, the page layout and villain headshot pic designs should be more classier, IMHO. The current one is... a bit too simple.
I disagree. This layout/design is actually much more enjoyable to look at than even the last countdowns!

-Aaron
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Just Myself
Platinum Edition

Post by Just Myself »

indrajit wrote:The SeaWitch (in Little Mermaid)
You may know her as the Sea Witch, but we hear at UD refer to her as Ursala. :)
Cheers,
JM :thumb:
Deco King
Gold Classic Collection

Do the Wicked Queen and the Witch count as 1 villain or 2?

Post by Deco King »

My two or three favourite villain/esses are The Wicked Queen and The Wich from Snow White, and Maleficent from Sleeping Beauty. However does the board consider that the Queen and the Witch are two villains or one, as the Witch/Hag is the alter ego of the Wicked Queen??

PS: How do I add an image to my profile listing please advise!!
To Make Doubly Sure Bring Back Her Heart In This!!
Luke
Site Admin

Re: Do the Wicked Queen and the Witch count as 1 villain or

Post by Luke »

Deco King wrote:PS: How do I add an image to my profile listing please advise!!
Once you have reached 50 posts, you can choose an avatar from either the galleries here, a picture on your computer, or an image you find elsewhere on the Internet. The option to select an avatar will be found in your <a href="http://www.ultimatedisney.com/forum/pro ... Profile</a>.
DisneyChris
Special Edition

Post by DisneyChris »

awallaceunc wrote:
DisneyChris wrote:And also, the page layout and villain headshot pic designs should be more classier, IMHO. The current one is... a bit too simple.
I disagree. This layout/design is actually much more enjoyable to look at than even the last countdowns!

-Aaron
Of course it's better than the previous countdowns, but I still feel there's room for improvement (especially the bad cropping).