The Black Cauldron Appreciation Thread

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
qindarka
Special Edition

Post by qindarka »

What's the point really? I doubt there's the audience to justify the expense. From what I've read of the cut scenes, the movie didn't lose anything important anyway.
Kraken Guard
Special Edition

Post by Kraken Guard »

I realize the film didn't do to good and that not many people care about it, but there are some people that actually DO care, and it stinks that this wonderful film won't get the recognition that I think it deserves! :(
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
thelittleursula
Anniversary Edition

Post by thelittleursula »

This movie isn't that bad, I think it failed during the middle 80's because Disney dark doesn't too so well. Alot of parents like to believe that Disney is a family friendly company.

My only issue with the movie is the main character Taran. Gosh is he annoying. He never shuts up, he whines, he complains, he's exteremly up himself, he's rude, he's sexist he's just annoying.

I wanted him to suffer badly. So I had a " Lets cheer for the villian and the sidekicks " moment during this movie.

But is it the worst Disney movie ever made ? No, not really. Worst MC ever ? Yes.
HarryCanyon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by HarryCanyon »

Oh i really like this one.

Such a fun and enjoyable fantasy epic with a cool villain who's one of my fave Disney baddies no doubt and he reminds me of Skeletor from He-Man.

I saw this movie in theaters when i was 4 about 3 times and enjoyed it as i had some merchandise like stuffed Gurgi, readalong book with record, soundtrack and coloring books. I even had a crush on Ellinowy for she was quite pretty i should say.

It reminds me of movies like Dark Crystal, Last Unicorn, Heavy Metal and Fire and Ice at times.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Milt Kahl's Black Cauldron
http://andreasdeja.blogspot.fr/2013/02/ ... html#links

It's so interesting that they chose to stay so close to Milt's designs for Taran and Eilonwy! I mean, they're great designs, IMO...I'm glad Fflewddur's hair changed from these designs! And I prefer the final Gurgi model, but very interesting designs here- I really like it...I guess he's not quite as cuddly as the final version (haha @ the commenter who said "Gurgi looks like a cross between King Louie and the old lawyer from Aristocats."...not a false statement!)... In the picture with Fflewddur, Taran reminds me a lot of Wart! And Andreas was right- the witches are so Madam Mim-like!
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I love his Horned King. That version's REALLY scary! So is the final version, but I think I may like this previous version more!
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I personally think that the movie's version looks more scary...in Milt's drawings, the Horned King's face seems more like a mask vs. in the final film...?
HarryCanyon
Gold Classic Collection

Re: The Black Cauldron Appreciation Thread

Post by HarryCanyon »

Does this movie remind anyone of other cult adult animated fantasy films like Rock and Rule, Heavy Metal, Fire and Ice and Princess Mononoke?