chicken little voice change for australia?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Mr arrow
Gold Classic Collection

chicken little voice change for australia?

Post by Mr arrow »

Can anyone clarify for me whats going on here. In the U.S. version of chicken little..Gary marshall is billed as the voice of the father...But in the Australian version aussie comedian mark Mitchell is billed as playing the father......does anyone know whats going on here ? and why did we need the brilliant Gary marshall replaced ??????? :?
Loomis
Signature Collection
Location: Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Re: chicken little voice change for australia?

Post by Loomis »

Mr arrow wrote:Can anyone clarify for me whats going on here. In the U.S. version of chicken little..Gary marshall is billed as the voice of the father...But in the Australian version aussie comedian mark Mitchell is billed as playing the father......does anyone know whats going on here ? and why did we need the brilliant Gary marshall replaced ??????? :?
I just checked around the net, and this seems to be correct. Mark Mitchell replaces Gary Marshall!

Found this story that may offer an explanation:

http://www.abc.net.au/wa/stories/s1514381.htm

"Disney re-voices with local talent in non-English speaking countries anyway, so they thought they'd experiment in Australia by getting Mark to do Buck Cluck. No mean thing, considering the original voice was by legendary actor and Happy Days director, Gary Marshall."

Then in this other article:

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/co ... 56,00.html

"WHEN comedian Mark Mitchell was hired to revoice the character of Buck Cluck for the Australian release of the animated feature Chicken Little, it had nothing to do with local content laws. They apply only to television and radio.

It was simply a market-driven decision by Disney, which sought a local identity around whom to publicise the movie when it opens here next year.

Indeed, no conceivable local content interest was served, since Mitchell revoiced Buck Cluck in an American accent. But he did cluck out all the acceptable sentiments on local content when he said he hoped that one day "every character can be revoiced by Australians using Australian accents"."
---------------------------------------
Loomis says:

This is a trend that Dreamworks seemed to begin, replacing voices with locals (especially pop-cultural references, such as newsreaders). I can only assume that Chicken Little is doing the same thing. I can't say I agree with it, as Australian audiences are used to American accents in pretty much everything we watch anyway.
Behind the Panels - Comic book news, reviews and podcast
The Reel Bits - All things film
Twitter - Follow me on Twitter
Mr arrow
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Mr arrow »

Thanks Loomis for the clarification
I guess thats a mystery solved. personally i feel a bit uncomfortable with the idea. Its understandable when a movie has to be redubbed in another language....... but hey... for marketing purposes????
Especially when you consider that characters are meticulously lip synched to the voice track... I hope they dont make a habit out of this.
A fair dinkum 'rapunzel unbraided' too far away??
Loomis
Signature Collection

Post by Loomis »

Mr arrow wrote: A fair dinkum 'rapunzel unbraided' too far away??
"Streuth! That's a bloody lot of hair!"

"That's not a hair. THIS is a hair"

I shudder at the possibilities.
Loomis
Signature Collection

Post by Loomis »

Ok, just came back from the cinema having seen Chicken Little.

The posters around the cinema proudly proclaimed Mark Mitchell as the voice of CL's dad. However, the voice in the film was an American accent (as mentioned above). I have no way of knowing whether it was actually Mark Mitchell or not, because Gary Marshall is listed in the end credits. If it was indeed Mark Mitchell, he did an excellent job. That said, I can't see the point of using local talent if they are going to do American accents anyway.

Either way, it should have been left as Gary Marshall.
Mr arrow
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Mr arrow »

If it was indeed Mark Mitchell, he did an excellent job. That said, I can't see the point of using local talent if they are going to do American accents anyway.

Either way, it should have been left as Gary Marshall.
Well said Loomis: Im going to try and catch it tomorrow. The american preview clips Ive seen with Gary marshall were great; it seemed like a pointless idea to tinker with it.... I wonder if other english speaking countries have had this redubbing exercise as a means to locally promote the films. Buena vista may have forgotten that in the past, animated hits have done enourmously well in OZ because they are first and foremost GOOD FILMS not because they needed local talent to promote and market it. Oh but I forgot they arn't called films anymore are they....the're franchises.
Cordy_Biddle
Anniversary Edition

Post by Cordy_Biddle »

I too have no idea why Disney would re-dub voices into another English-speaking version of the same film. What's going to happen when the DVD comes out? Will we get both Gary Marshall/Mark Mitchell soundtracks?

Just another lame attempt to get people to see the movie, and not really warranted in my opinion.
I'm just valentine candy and boxing-gloves!

My DVD Collection :
http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/
Loomis
Signature Collection

Post by Loomis »

Cordy_Biddle wrote:I too have no idea why Disney would re-dub voices into another English-speaking version of the same film. What's going to happen when the DVD comes out? Will we get both Gary Marshall/Mark Mitchell soundtracks?
I guess we will have to wait until May 10 to find out.

Knowing Disney, we won't actually know the story until we have the DVD in our players (and even then I'm dubious).
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

If they did the Australian dub on DVD, then in theory it would have to be an Australian release only. Not very cost-concious when most PAL Disney discs are R2&R4 (with all the subtitles etc that entails).
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
StitchExp626
Limited Issue

Post by StitchExp626 »

I went and saw Chicken Little in 3D and was absolutely impressed. Well worth going to see.

Was that really Mark Mitchell? If so it sure didn't sound like him or have any of his personality in the character.

So was it his voice?? Because it did not add anything specifically Aussie to the movie.

Stitch

Though the movie is wonderful!!!
cornelius
Gold Classic Collection

Post by cornelius »

I've got to agree with the general consensus on here that re-voicing stuff is a pointless exercise and is even detrimental.

I've just seen the British trailer for Chicken Little for the first time today on the Lady and the Tramp dvd and I'm wondering just what exactly was wrong with the original voice over. The British version just sounds so naff. Do they not think a British audience can handle American accents? If not then why didn't they go the whole hog and revoice the whole film? :D

It's just silly really.