DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:58 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

witchkitten wrote:
Question: Does anyone know why they used three different voice actors for Wart? I searched for an answer but I couldn't find it.

The original voice actor's voice changed during production so they got the director's 2 kids to record additional dialogue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:28 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Although I think it's the weakest Walt-era film, that doesn't mean I think it's the weakest Disney-film overall. And I do admit it's a funny film. With its accent on comedy, its light-hearted tone and its episodic structure, it's similar to Robin Hood, which is a favorite of mine. (But again, although it's a favorite, I acknowledge it's a weak film when it comes to animation/story.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:47 pm 

Out of the films made in the 60s, 101 Dalmatians was easily my favorite. It had one of the best Disney Villains, likable characters, a beginning, middle and end, and wonderful animation.

I felt The Jungle Book and Sword in the Stone suffered from the same problem: Little to no plot. In SitS, the villain is not introduced until the last fifteen minutes. The rest is extremely boring, and feature no likable characters. The Jungle Book is slightly better as I enjoy the characters of Baloo and Bagheera, but really dislike the plot. It seems very boring and I dislike the music in both films.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:00 pm 
Special Edition

I love the great Mad Madam Mim - she's such a marvellously camp 1960's Witch , I really love it when , momentarily , she changes into an almost Bewitched like Femme Fatale! I actually love some of the songs too particularly Higitus Figitus!

I had ( still have actually it has a terrific cover !! ) a great LP of the story a dramatised version , and I always love Mim saying of the transfomed Wart coughing up soot : "Sounds Like Someone Sick I Do Hope It's Serious " !!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:01 pm 
Limited Edition

I remember that as a kid I went to the movies with my father to see a re-release of TSITS. There was such a long line and I was worried that there would be not tickets left for us, but there were.

I've recently purchased 'The Sword in the Stone' on dvd, as the only copy I had was a recording from TV interrupted by commercials.
TSITS is no masterpiece, and I can understand the criticism that the story is episodic. The characters are also quite sketchy.

But I enjoyed the movie anyway- though it does little justice to the Arthurian legend, it is a lot of fun. I especially like Archimedes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:52 pm 

It's not bad, but it's definitely the weakest animated feature overseen by Walt himself. I think the main problem is its episodic nature and lack of focus...as well as its very abrupt 'ending.'

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:50 am 
Platinum Edition

I never did buy the Blu-Ray (because of the hideous “restoration”), so I only saw the alternate opening bonus feature on a random YouTube search. Although—like with TENG’s beginning as Kingdom of the Sun—I’m very curious about how a film with this plot would’ve turned out, I wouldn’t really wouldn’t want a world without the film as it is (a minority opinion, I’m sure). Mim as a more serious villainess could’ve been brilliant though. I wonder if the moment in “MMM” when she turns herself young, if that design might have been a distant relation to the design they originally had for her? But the story they had sounds too much like a Maleficent ripoff; she sends a raven to find Arthur (whose been whisked away by Merlin for his own protection) is very similar to the fairies being caught by Diablo in SB while hiding Aurora from Maleficent. That and the fact that the current film is closer to the novel it’s based on are two reasons I’m glad the film turned out the way it did.

And while I’m here, I’ll throw in some praise for the film--the voice work is amazing. Martha Wentworth was great here and as Nanny in Dalmatians, too. Merlin, Archimedes, and Mim are some of Disney’s best characters, imo, and I’m glad they have often joined the ranks of Tinker Bell/Mickey and co. as far as moving outside the confines of the film story they come from in other Disney properties. And, while I am more fond of the Menken music in the ‘90s than I am the Sherman Bros, I love all the songs in this film. “But it’s only skin deep, for—Zim Zadame ZIIIIM! I’m an ugly, old creep!!!” rotfl Most Sherman Bros songs feel more like something you’d hum than sing, and these songs are their most hummable to me, particularly “TWMtWGR.” I feel the opening is a good bookend for the film.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:53 pm 
Platinum Edition

Floyd Norman Remembers The Sword in the Stone: Part One
https://www.mouseplanet.com/11923/Floyd ... e_Part_One

Floyd Norman Remembers The Sword in the Stone: Part Two
https://www.mouseplanet.com/11932/Floyd ... e_Part_Two

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:20 pm 
Platinum Edition

Thanks for posting, Sotiris. :)

Quote:
Disney fans do not hate the film, but it certainly doesn't make it into anyone's top 10 lists either.
*tears* It does mine... :lol:

Quote:
"Walt [Disney], the wizard, never knew that I patterned Merlin the magician after him when I wrote the script," remembered storyman Bill Peet when interviewed by John Province. "In his book, T.H. White describes the wizard as a crusty old curmudgeon, argumentative and temperamental, playful at times, and extremely intelligent. Walt was not quite a curmudgeon and he had no beard, but he was a grandfather and much more a character, and in my drawings of Merlin, I even borrowed Walt's nose and raised eyebrow."

Merlin is a nice image of Disney. That said, from what I've seen of Disney, I can't say Merlin exactly fits my picture of him (personality-wise), but it's a flattering portrait from someone who knew him at least on a professional level.

Quote:
A wizard's duel between Merlin and Madam Mim dark ride was originally considered for the Magic Kingdom in 1971 as a substitute for the Snow White Scary Adventures attraction, but was later rejected by Roy O. Disney who felt that guests wanted to see some of the same attractions as Disneyland.
This would've been so cool! They probably made the right decision considering SW is a widely-beloved film and TSitS, well, isn't, but I would've rather that ride myself.

Quote:
"It appeared we were going to animate this motion picture in a start-to-finish continuity. That is, the film was being made following the narrative and sequences moved into animation as storyman, Bill Peet turned them over to music room. This was very much out of the ordinary. In the past, we had animated scenes out of sequence, often concentrating on the easiest ones first to get drawings into the rest of the production process."
I'd never read that about this film before. I need to re-watch the film and see if the animation is stronger at the end v. the beginning as they got more comfortable. I can see why Mim sets such a spark in the film. I imagine she was a breath of fresh air for the animators after having to animate just Wart, Merlin, and Ector for so long. Although I imagine the squirrel, fish, and dish scenes at least broke up the monotony for them.

I wonder what other Disney films were animated in sequential order like TSitS (if any)?

Quote:
"To be fair, these reuse scenes never did save any money. They were often a pain to do. It would have been far easier to animate the scene from scratch than trying to 'adapt' some earlier bit of animation to fit the new scene. In any case, no one ever managed to change Woolie's mind and he continued to use older animation whenever he could get away with it."
That's interesting to hear. I always wondered how they would really save costs... Maybe he just wanted to re-use animated sequences he knew turned out well? (i.e. He wasn't confident enough in the animators to create a new scene just as well?) Who knows. Maybe he thought eventually the process would save money even if the first attempts failed to do so and that's why he persisted.

Quote:
"You had to admit, it was very funny stuff. During a song sequence in Mim's cottage, the female wizard turns herself into a tall, shapely young woman. Since I was cleaning up the scenes I couldn't help but be aware the sexy character reminded me of a co-worker.

"Milt never said he based his drawing on the young woman on the second floor, however after drawing her remarkable attributes day after day it became pretty obvious. At least to me, anyway.

"It was obvious it was inspired by layout artist Sylvia Roemer. Sylvia had started in Ink and Paint and worked her way up into layout. Others recognized the resemblance immediately as well but Sylvia either didn't notice or just never said anything."
Well... That's interesting. I wonder if there's a picture of Roemer somewhere out in the ether. Hmm. I think most would love to have a Disney character designed after them, but I wonder if she would have felt differently what with it being a "sexy" design... >>; I don't know, it's not horrible or anything, just possibly a touch inappropriate maybe. Especially not to get permission or give credit for the design. I wonder if Kahl ever attempted to date Roemer since he was clearly inspired by her, lol.

Quote:
"Sadly, The Sword in the Stone never enjoyed the box office success of other Disney films. It was one of those rare Disney films that went off without a hitch. The animated film moved smoothly through production without a hiccup and perhaps that's the problem. Oh well. Sometimes, things simply don't work as well as we'd hoped.

"Most successful films seem to move in and out of disaster throughout production. Perhaps our kiss of death was because we never experience any trauma during production and that's why the finished movie appears to be so bland."
That's so true. I guess conflict is often good for a film? Although I'm sure that's not always the case either (Bolt, Brave). But that seems like a similar situation with a lot of successful films--Mermaid, B&tB, Aladdin, Jungle Book, Sleeping Beauty, Tangled, Frozen, etc.

Quote:
"One thing continues to bother me about this Disney adaptation. At the end of the story Merlin returns from the future wearing a Hawaiian shirt, Bermuda shorts, sunglasses and sandals. Apparently, he had been vacationing in Bermuda. Though it was a totally wacky idea, that goofy notion totally took me out of the movie. It felt wrong back then—and it still feels odd when I watch the film today."
Odd, I've always loved that part. Oh well, everyone has a different reaction.

- I didn’t know this was the first film the Sherman Bros worked on.

- The picture of Merlin v. Maleficent made me burst out laughing.

- The one thing I hate when this film is talked about is that everyone always talks about how great Merlin and Mim are, which is true, but nobody ever mentions how hilarious Archimedes is. Mim is more entertaining--particularly visually--because she can shapeshift, but I find Archimedes to be much funnier than her. Merlin and Mim are probably better-voiced though, which might be the difference.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:14 pm 
Platinum Edition

Disney's Divinity wrote:
I wonder if there's a picture of Roemer somewhere out in the ether.

This is the only photo of hers I could find. She's the one with the short hair in the total-black outfit.

Source: http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/ ... nd-co.html

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9