BAMBI Platinum Edition DVD Press Release

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Jayden
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Jayden »

akhenaten wrote:hehe thanks. i hope they'll include it for POCA. :D
Akhenaten, great name. Good to see that some people on here are into ancient Egyptian history. Anyways, my question for you is where did your avatar come from? It's great! If you made it yourself, where did you get the pic for the centre? I know it's a little off-topic, but I'm REALLY curious!
Cheers!
Jayden!

Jay+Den- University Lovers
At least one good thing came out of my Criminal Law in Context class! Thanks Maeve!
Key
Special Edition

Post by Key »

Is the Genie/Pocahontas image a screenshot taken from Aladdin and the King of Thieves? Haven't seen that film in a while but I think it may be...
Wherever. Whatever. Have a nice day.
Jayden
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Jayden »

Key wrote:Is the Genie/Pocahontas image a screenshot taken from Aladdin and the King of Thieves? Haven't seen that film in a while but I think it may be...
That would explain why I don't recognize it, as it's been ages since I've seen Aladdin and the King of Thieves. I rented it when it first came out (First day) and haven't seen it since. I enjoyed both it and Return of Jafar, but not enough to get them on DVD. I'm a huge Aladdin fan, so that may explain why I really liked the sequels too.
Cheers!
Jayden!

Jay+Den- University Lovers
At least one good thing came out of my Criminal Law in Context class! Thanks Maeve!
akhenaten
Anniversary Edition

Post by akhenaten »

heh jayden, yeah.. i read books on Ancient History. Even did a story based on Akhenaten for my university project which i hope can be turned into an animated feature.

I see the question on the avatar has been answered.hehe.
do you still wait for me Dream Giver?
PheR
Special Edition

Post by PheR »

hey!! I always thought the story of Akhenaten could be an awesome animated movie also!! , they could do the Tutankamon story as a sequel indeed :lol:
I'ts enough for this restless warrior just to be with you...
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

For anyone who is interested I've just written a pretty extensive review, covering the film and the trove of bonus features, which you can see <a href="http://www.disneydatabase.com/review.ph ... 1">here</a>
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

I don't know if you remember, but when the 2 disc Mulan came out, I was rather critical of the content, and got a few negative replies. But I stand by what I said. The 2 disc Mulan was like a Disney 2 disc set from 1999 or 2000. It offered absolutely nothing new.

Now I must just say that Disney has once again innovated the DVD format with their "Inside Walt's Story Meetings" feature. While Mulan offered absolutely nothing but the often used documentary snippits, this new feature is absolutely stunning. :up:

The making of Bambi is top-notch as well. :up:

Now, the question is why can Disney do something as good on Bambi, but try nothing new on Mulan? Surely being a more recent film, there would be just as much behind the scenes stuff for Mulan.
Ciaobelli
Special Edition

Post by Ciaobelli »

ichabod wrote:For anyone who is interested I've just written a pretty extensive review, covering the film and the trove of bonus features, which you can see <a href="http://www.disneydatabase.com/review.ph ... 1">here</a>
Great review!! Sounds like I won't be disappointed.
How is Luke going to surpass this review now? :)
Dolce fare niente...
Mermaid Kelly
Anniversary Edition

Post by Mermaid Kelly »

I don't know if anybody mentioned it....but on the Bambi website, you can now play the "make your own forest game." I tried it.....it was........ok. :roll: :D
Image Image
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

UD's Review of <b><i>Bambi</i>: Platinum Edition</b> can be read here:
http://www.ultimatedisney.com/bambi.html
"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president
gannoum

Post by gannoum »

Luke, all I can say is WOW! :o
I've never read a review so wonderful as your Bambi one. It's amazing! Congratulations! The best review I've ever seen!
Now, all I can say is... I can't wait to see this DVD! :)
" A Wish is a Powerful thing, especially when it comes from the Heart... "
RJKD23
Platinum Edition

Post by RJKD23 »

LUKE! Thank you for the wonderful review! :thumb:
*looks for an icon where the smiley is bowing... Sorry, couldn't find it. But you get the idea! :) Can't wait till this DVD is released here! :D
Image R[APRIL.23]K: High School Sweethearts
Dan05
Special Edition

Post by Dan05 »

i can't wait either i haven't watched bambi in ages
Ciaobelli
Special Edition

Post by Ciaobelli »

Awsome review Luke, it was worth the wait. Can't wait to get it. :up:
Dolce fare niente...
MickeyMousePal
Signature Collection

Post by MickeyMousePal »

Great Bambi review Luke!!!
I can't wait to buy Bambi on March 1!!! :D
The Simpsons Season 11 Buy it Now!

Fox Sunday lineup:

8:00 The Simpsons
8:30 King of the Hill
9:00 Family Guy
9:30 American Dad

Living in the 1980's:
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Thanks for the kind words, all. Glad you liked the review!
"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president
Ciaobelli
Special Edition

Post by Ciaobelli »

Luke wrote:Thanks for the kind words, all. Glad you liked the review!
When, approximately, will we get the 'special news'?
Dolce fare niente...
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Ciaobelli wrote:
Luke wrote:Thanks for the kind words, all. Glad you liked the review!
When, approximately, will we get the 'special news'?
Wednesday, hopefully! And it's not news so much as a special...report. Yeah, that's it.

But keep those hopes low because 1) I don't want anyone being disappointed and 2) there's still the small chance it could not happen! :o
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Here's what the fantastic New York Times says about Bambi's innovative Inside Walt's Story Meetings feature:
The makers of the "Bambi - Special Edition" DVD faced a limitation common with older films: most of the people who might have offered commentary-Walt Disney and the "nine old men" responsible for much of Disney's classic animation - were no longer around to comment. But the DVD producers didn't let that stop them. The Walt Disney Company (or its Buena Vista Home Entertainment unit, anyway) did what it does best: it reanimated the animators.

Not literally: there was no drawing involved. But using notes taken at story meetings where Disney and his men talked about the project, Buena Vista prepared a different sort of commentary: instead of the usual disembodied voices, the "Bambi" track is a picture-in-picture evocation of the meetings. Actors reproduce the voices of Disney and some of his staff members, and viewers hear those discussions about a young deer and his friends while seeing photographs taken at the meetings, sketches for the film and other archival material, all in a restored version of the 1942 movie. (The DVD is set for release on March 1.)

Disney's own voice was supplied by Corey Burton, voice actor who has worked on many Disney films and television series. "He was that kindly uncle, with a great ability to communicate directly to everyone," Mr. Burton said. "What was most surprising was the grasp he had of all facets of the making of the film. If you watch, there's no question that he was in charge of every frame of that film."

Which may not be as surprising as the idea of matching the dewy fantasy of "Bambi" with the drafting-table talk of a roomful of midcentury animators and their eccentric leader. Andy Siditsky, senior vice president of DVD production at Buena Vista, explained: "It's not a commentary per se. Commentary tracks describe a film which has already been completed. Here, you're in a creative development meeting with Walt himself, hearing about a film which hasn't yet gone into production. And it's remarkable how close the movie ended up to what you hear them discuss." Almost as remarkable as how they could plot the fantasy lives of millions of future 4-year-old girls.
I miss Elvis
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
FantasiaMan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by FantasiaMan »

I'm glad that the Walt's Story Meetings feature seems to capture the attension of the many Bambi fans out there and not disappoint the many commentary fans, including myself. :D

Oh, and a congratulations to Luke for an outstanding review. Geez, you should write books or something.

By the way.... how long did it take you to write that wonderful review. It sounds like you put a lot of feeling and heart into it. :?: