"Beauty and the Beast" Gaston's Original Line?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
drfsupercenter
Anniversary Edition

"Beauty and the Beast" Gaston's Original Line?

Post by drfsupercenter »

Found this clip on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nfft9P-_QEw

Unfortunately the uploader is very inaccessible, setting all his accounts to private so I can't send him a message asking where he got the clip.

Does anybody here happen to know where the clip of Gaston's voice actor saying "Time to die" would have come from? The description said it was an "old behind the scenes feature", that could mean anything, and I've watched several of them now with no luck.

I figured you guys are a bit more into Disney than I am, maybe someone recalls watching a special feature somewhere and hearing that.

Interesting video, either way. I'd just like to remake it in higher quality as part of my "Disney De-Edits" line.

Howard Ashman:
He gave a mermaid her voice, a beast his soul, and Arabs something to complain about
Arabian Nights (Unedited)
Savages (Uncensored)
If it ain't OTV, it ain't worth anything!
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

I knew what the line was originally supposed to be, but never actually heard Gaston's delivery. Pretty cool, even though I think the final line works better. I'll ask him for you and see what he says. :)
drfsupercenter
Anniversary Edition

Post by drfsupercenter »

How? LOL

His YouTube accounts are set that you have to be friends with him in order to send a message, I've already tried - the "contact me" on his website was completely useless

Unless you're already friends with him by chance? LOL

Howard Ashman:
He gave a mermaid her voice, a beast his soul, and Arabs something to complain about
Savages (Uncensored)
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

drfsupercenter wrote:Unless you're already friends with him by chance? LOL
Yeah . . . that. :p

Already talked to him through another site . . . he said the featurette he grabbed it from doesn't seem to be on youtube anymore (either that or he can't remember the title). Maybe it'll come back to him at some point though.

He's also a member of this forum, btw. ;)
drfsupercenter
Anniversary Edition

Post by drfsupercenter »

Oh, LOL

And yeah I figured it wasn't on YouTube anymore, I literally watched through close to an hour of 1991 documentaries and was pretty annoyed when I didn't find it :lol:

Does he have the clip downloaded, still? (as in, the original one, not the "mixed into the DVD audio" version) That would prove somewhat useful too.

Howard Ashman:
Savages (Uncensored)
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Very cool find. Thanks.

drfsupercenter, why don't you just extract the audio from the clip and superimpose it on a higher quality video?
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
drfsupercenter
Anniversary Edition

Post by drfsupercenter »

Well, one because that's just blatantly stealing someone else's work... and two, because it's only in stereo (at least on YouTube it is)

It will actually be easier to do in surround, since all the dialog is by itself in the center channel. Just mute the line on the DVD and replace, if you know what I mean. But given that the YouTube clip has the music behind it, it's a bit hard to do that. :(

(On a semi-unrelated note, I'm actually going to try to redo my two de-edits in surround, I attempted it before and it didn't work too well, this time I have a friend who's really good with audio stuff willing to help. The links to my current ones are in my signature)

Howard Ashman:
Savages (Uncensored)
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Post by Dr Frankenollie »

I like "Time to die" more than "Belle is mine"; it makes Gaston seem a bit more villainous, and maybe it's just me, but it fits the animation of his mouth better than the line used in the final version.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Dr Frankenollie wrote:I like "Time to die" more than "Belle is mine"; it makes Gaston seem a bit more villainous, and maybe it's just me, but it fits the animation of his mouth better than the line used in the final version.
I watched it several times slowed down and I'm convinced it was animated to match with 'time to die'. So I agree.

And yes, it does make him more villainous. 'Belle is mine' implies that Gaston gives a crap about Belle which he doesn't. Belle is his trophy wife and the Beast is an obstacle in his way that needs to die. All Disney villains have that moment where they snap, I believe this was Gastons. 'Belle is mine' just sort of softens him as a villain.
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

It's pointed out in the commentary that the animation was made to fit the "Time to die" line, but that "Belle is mine" was later dubbed in without changing the animation. I prefer the final version since I feel it reveals his utter selfishness and possessiveness over Belle in a more powerful way, shifting the focus back to feeding his pride/ego rather than just destroying what happens to be in his way. "Time to die" feels more cliche and less of a natural thing to say, but that's just me. ;)

drfsupercenter - I'll point him back to the direction of this thread.
drfsupercenter
Anniversary Edition

Post by drfsupercenter »

I watched it several times slowed down and I'm convinced it was animated to match with 'time to die'. So I agree.

And yes, it does make him more villainous. 'Belle is mine' implies that Gaston gives a crap about Belle which he doesn't. Belle is his trophy wife and the Beast is an obstacle in his way that needs to die. All Disney villains have that moment where they snap, I believe this was Gastons. 'Belle is mine' just sort of softens him as a villain.
Yeah, I agree. I like the "time to die" line better as well. Sure it's been used lots of times in other movies but you're right, by that point when he goes rampaging around to kill the Beast he probably doesn't care one way or the other about Belle anymore.

And thanks, enigmawing. I've got no problem asking people stuff myself, but when they have every profile they own set to super-private, it makes it a bit hard to do such :roll:

--EDIT--

hm, yeah, interesting. Just watched the release version, when he says "Belle is mine", you can hear a slight skip in his voice, suggesting they dubbed it in later.

Same thing happens in the censored version of Savages in Pocahontas, when they say "Let's go get a few, men!" you can hear a skip between some of the words, since they obviously had to re-dub it to make it fit the animation. The original one where he says "let's go kill a few, men!" sounds much better and doesn't skip.

Which brings up an interesting point, how Disney animation, you can almost read their lips... opposed to anime where you could literally just stick any combination of words in there and as long as the lip-flaps match it's virtually impossible to tell otherwise. Not that I have anything against anime, I'm a big fan of it, but I guess that explains why Disney movies take so long to make :wink:

--EDIT 2--

Alright, so, I just checked the new Blu-Ray release and the line no longer skips... that being said, we all know Disney fudged with the movie a million times before releasing it, even on DVD the first time. The scene I saw of the fight at the end before was taken from the VHS which is actually true to what was in theaters. More than likely they caught it and "fixed" that part for the DVD/BD releases.

It still sounds a bit unnatural when he says "Belle is mine", there's not much pausing at all between "is" and "mine", so it almost sounds like he's saying "It's over Beast, Belle ismine" to the point that it's pretty easy to tell the actor was trying to make the line fit over the original animation. Anyone else agree?

Howard Ashman:
Savages (Uncensored)
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Dr Frankenollie wrote:I like "Time to die" more than "Belle is mine"; it makes Gaston seem a bit more villainous, and maybe it's just me, but it fits the animation of his mouth better than the line used in the final version.
agreed and agreed. Actually the filmmakers point out the lip-synch issue
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Wow, okay so "time to die" I like because it sounds more powerful and really fits. At first I thought "Belle is mine" was better since it covered he intended to kill the Beast and possesively take Belle, but it doesn't make much sense within the context of the scene, and like I said the way he says the line is way way more powerful. It really does make him more of a villainous threat that we are so happy is removed! In other words, it adds more to the film experience and emotions. And to think, it's only one freaking line!
drfsupercenter
Anniversary Edition

Re: "Beauty and the Beast" Gaston's Original Line?

Post by drfsupercenter »

I hate to grave-dig this thread, but I was looking for that clip to show a friend and I noticed the uploader made it private.

I never did download it when I had the chance. Does anyone here have a copy of it?

Howard Ashman:
Savages (Uncensored)
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

"Time to die" is uber cliched and done to death in countless dumb superhero movies, so I'm glad they changed it. :)
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Post by Musical Master »

In my view, if Gaston said his original line he would've lost all sense of thinking and becomes the animal that the Beast once was but the final version of it still has an impact because in his view the Beast has stolen Belle from him and wants her back. Even though I would've perfered the original line, the new one still works.

BTW: I read the second draft of Linda Woolverton's animation screenplay when it was revised as a musical thanks to a friend. Ask me anything about it. :)
Disney, Pixar, Rodgers and Hammerstein, and Cinema fan
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Post by Musical Master »

It's to bad that TonyWDA put the video on private, but considering it's YT, I can understand.
Disney, Pixar, Rodgers and Hammerstein, and Cinema fan
Warm Regards
Special Edition

Post by Warm Regards »

drfsupercenter: I don't have that clip, but I have a semi-alternative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-VN7eku8W0

It's part of a 20/20 segment, not the actual clip. In the first 10 seconds you can hear Gaston say "Time to die!" it in the background while the narrator talks.

Also, a comment on this video claims to have the original audio snippet. Maybe you can get it from them,
thelittleursula
Anniversary Edition

Post by thelittleursula »

Team : Time to die instead of Belle is mine here.

Just sounds more creepy imo, and like already mentioned, he never really cared about Belle, just wanted her as a trophy.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

As this is the most current BATB thread, I thought I'd pop my thoughts in here, instead of dragging up the restoration thread.

I saw this in the cinema at the weekend; it was the restored version as Tangled Ever After played before it.

I've never seen Beauty in the cinema before, being too young the first time, and I missed the 3D version, and I have to say … I was really, really disappointed. The animation of Belle in particular was extremely jarring; she regularly goes in and out of focus and her face changes more times than I can count. I guess this has always been the case, but I suppose seeing it on the big screen it was terribly noticeable. The movements of most characters weren't very fluid either, and a lot of times characters were just plain not animated - completely static - if another character was talking or the scene was fading out. And Belles hair goes up and down in length ? :?

Again as I said I suppose this has always been the case, but it has never bothered me / not noticed before. Just comparing it to Cinderella that I saw the week before, and her animation was just outstanding. Like, truly breathtaking on the big screen. Felt like quite a stark contrast to Belle.