So AiW is..........Pan & Scan?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Alice
Gold Classic Collection

So AiW is..........Pan & Scan?

Post by Alice »

So Alice in Wonderland is in Pan&Scan.........WHY!?!

That is Thoroughly upsetting .

Can someone who has it tell me that there is a Widescreen option?!?
Alice coming back with POWER! POWER!
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

This film and all the Disney films before it were created in the Academy Ratio (roughly 1.37:1), and therefore its fullscreen DVD presentation is correct.

Read more:
http://www.ultimatedisney.com/oar.htm
"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president
Alice
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Alice »

Oh..That's Dandy.......Guess I'll scrath that off......

Thanx anyways....
Alice coming back with POWER! POWER!
Sir Hawkins
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Sir Hawkins »

Why would you scratch off a movie that was never filmed in widescreen in the first place? I mean that's like refusing to watch network TV, because it's only filmed in fullscreen. With the exception of "The West Wing" and a few others.
deathie mouse
Ultraviolet Edition

Post by deathie mouse »

Maybe Alice meant she'll scratch off the notion that Alice wasn't in its intended aspect ratio?

Or maybe Alice is a Widescreenphile that takes no prisioners :twisted:

i hope she doesn't pass up on some great animation just cus the screen shape it was composed in is not a semi wide rectangle! :P

..mmm I think many important shows today are being filmed in widescreen, not just The West Wing, for alternate (or future) HDTV broadcasts. If you buy international boxed sets of a few TV shows they come in 16:9 widescreen horizontally "open matted" versions. Like Bufffy and I think Dark Angel, Alias etc.., having additional image on the sides not seen in the US 4:3 broadcasts
Lars Vermundsberget
Collector's Edition

Post by Lars Vermundsberget »

I don't know what "scratch off " is supposed to mean here. Maybe Alice will let us know.

The term "Pan & Scan" has so far basically been meaningless in connection with most movies from the mid-50s and older.
Sir Hawkins
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Sir Hawkins »

deathie mouse wrote:i hope she doesn't pass up on some great animation just cus the screen shape it was composed in is not a semi wide rectangle! :P

..mmm I think many important shows today are being filmed in widescreen, not just The West Wing, for alternate (or future) HDTV broadcasts. If you buy international boxed sets of a few TV shows they come in 16:9 widescreen horizontally "open matted" versions. Like Bufffy and I think Dark Angel, Alias etc.., having additional image on the sides not seen in the US 4:3 broadcasts
Yeah if something is only filmed in fullscreen (e.g. Alice in Wonderland, Robin Hood etc.) then I'll buy it, although I would definitely put myself under your term "widescreenphile". :) However when something is shot in widescreen but only released on DVD as fullscreen, then I won't buy it. It may come out in wide eventually.

About your TV show list, also the show "Lost" (GREAT SHOW!!!!) is broadcast in widescreen HDTV.
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Well, if people have any sense, all new programming should be made widescreen now, regardless of how it is shown. Everything new in the UK has been wide for about 5-6 years now.

I know the WWE still film 4:3, but I also know they don't have any sense.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
Today4U
Limited Issue

Post by Today4U »

Lucky UK! Here in the good ol' USofA we do have quite a bit of widescreen, HDTV programming on the four major networks... but it's limited to the prime time shows.

And maybe Alice got scratched just because it is rather spoiling to watch movies in widescreen and then have to watch a full screen movie. I mean, with TV you can expect it, but maybe he/she is just pampered by widescreen movies. Still sounds kinda silly if you like the movie enough to buy it, but whatever... everyone's entitled.
MickeyMouseboy
Platinum Edition

Post by MickeyMouseboy »

I don't know how american people say were technologically advanced lol I don't think we are. I think Europe and other countries are more techonologically advanced than we are lol
MutantEnemy
Special Edition

Post by MutantEnemy »

oops