Mary Poppins: 40th Anniversary Edition DVD Press Release

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
That1GuyPictures
Gold Classic Collection

Post by That1GuyPictures »

Disneykid wrote:I don't how you're getting confused. There's essentially one version of the cover out, and the one posted above just has some very minor tweaks to it. The one on Amazon and the one in the Upcoming Cover Art section of this site are the same, so why are you so confused?
I'm sorry but these don't look like the same pictures to me...THE AMAZON.com IS BELOW...
and the ULTIMATE DISNEY and DVD TOWN Version are Below...
Celtic
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Celtic »

I can't wait to get my hands on this dvd! I lurve this film and have lost count of the number of times I've seen it. By buying it I'm ensuring my children will get to see this fantastic film also.....it's a generation thing....good things should be passed to your children!! Although I'm pretty sure I'll have it well worn by the time I have brats (sorry, I meant angels)!

Love the cover art but regardless I'll probably buy it no matter what the cover looks like!
Prince Adam
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Adam »

I like the UD one better, due to the awful lettering on the amazon one. Though I really hate that "Open here for fun" thing that's on so many of the slipcovers.
Defy Gravity...
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

That1GuyPictures wrote:
Disneykid wrote:I don't how you're getting confused. There's essentially one version of the cover out, and the one posted above just has some very minor tweaks to it. The one on Amazon and the one in the Upcoming Cover Art section of this site are the same, so why are you so confused?
I'm sorry but these don't look like the same pictures to me...THE AMAZON.com IS BELOW...
and the ULTIMATE DISNEY and DVD TOWN Version are Below...
Sorry, what I meant was the actual image on the cover (not the fonts) was the same for both. When you made that post about being confused, you made it sound like there totally different covers floating around, so that's why I wasn't sure why you felt that way. Now I see you simply meant which font would end up on the final version.
Jens
Special Edition

Post by Jens »

This is the official final cover art of the Mary Poppins dvd:

Changes:

- Spine is now dark blue
- The "Open here for fun" is gone
- 2-Disc Set banner reduced size and changed color (awful red btw)

That's it!
Last edited by Jens on Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Disney Database - All the Disney magic in 1 site!
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

Thanks for that, Jens! The madness will finally end! I agree that the darker shade of red looked better than the bright red for this banner, but ah well.
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Well that's still temporary according to Disney's press files, and it doesn't match the newer art sent to retailers. So we probably won't know until December.
Jens
Special Edition

Post by Jens »

It's possible that newer cover art will be added later, but my Buena Vista contact said that this is the official approved cover artwork for the moment. We'll see!
The Disney Database - All the Disney magic in 1 site!
That1GuyPictures
Gold Classic Collection

I like this newest art cover the best...
but Disney really needs to get their eggs all in one basket...
How hard is it to finish a frickin' cover?
Haha!

Oh well...and what's up with the Aladdin cover...no Platinum Edition banner
on half the cover's I've seen, and in most reviews, an absence of the platinum banner is mentioned.

Why can't Disney (one of the most over-marketed DVD makers in the world) get it together and just be consistent with their graphic art and covers for their collective projects?

Gold Collection, Platinum Edition, Special Edition, Masterpiece Edition, Masterpiece Collection, Black Diamond Classic Collection, Vault Disney,
If I hear about one more DVD line, I think my collective head might explode! :o
What's next...the Disney Bronze SUPERBIT Masterpiece 3-disc Classic collection in DTS? GRRR...
Let's just do one great release at a time, and call it a day.
Oh well.

Maybe they'll eventually keep one design.
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

That1GuyPictures wrote:Oh well...and what's up with the Aladdin cover...no Platinum Edition banner
on half the cover's I've seen, and in most reviews, an absence of the platinum banner is mentioned.
Aladdin has the Platinum Edition banner on both the slipcover and the DVD cover itself. The artwork sent to retailers is not the actual product. Any reviews mentioning an absence of the Platinum banner are either going on the artwork sent to retailers or are just plain wrong.
Jordan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Jordan »

On the newest cover, not only is the "open for fun" gone but we don't see anything to open the slipcase.... yet and we all know that there'll be one, so there may be an "open for fun" as well.

You these things are exaclty the kinda things that do not always appear on preview cover picture... We had many examples, as I was saying it below, where the covers given by Amazon or the Disney.com weren't exaclty the same as the ones that were sold... That's all but Wait & See...
Chandler (to Phoebe, over the phone) : Listen, Joey isn't gonna be here tonight so why don't you come over and I'll let you uh.. feel my bicep; or maybe more...
Friends, 5.14 - The One Where Everybody Finds Out
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

I've just realised the trailer is advertising Mary Poppins as 'First time ever on Disney DVD'.

http://disneyvideos.disney.go.com/movie ... 16703.html

Do you think that all of theie rereleases will be 'First time evers'

I also looks as if 'The Cat that looked at the king' will be partially live action.
Bill W
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Bill W »

ichabod wrote:I've just realised the trailer is advertising Mary Poppins as 'First time ever on Disney DVD'.
It actually says "For the first time ever on Disney DVD and Video"
And then a few seconds later says "Walt Disney's Mary Poppins 40th Anniversary Edition"
It seems that with every new "special edition" or "anniversary edition" they think they can say "for the first time ever on Disney DVD".
Obviously Disney's meaning of "for the first time ever" is different than the average persons. Especially if they are touting it as the first time ever on Video.
Chris
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Chris »

Hey Folks!

The Mary Poppins 40th Anniversary 2 disc CD soundtrack from Walt Disney Records will be released on November 16.

The first CD will contain an additional 27 minutes of the score when compared with the previous CD release, and the second CD will have vintage interviews with Julie & Dick, radio promos, studio story meetings with author P.L. Travers, and more. The list price is $18.98. Not bad for a 2 CD set. Each disc will be filled out at 80 minutes of material a piece.

:D

"She sailed out of the Disney-blue heavens, umbrella in hand, and promptly elicited every gorgeous adjective in the book from reviewers coast to coast."
That1GuyPictures
Gold Classic Collection

MARY POPPINS CAT WHO LOOKED AT A KING!!!!!!!!

Just thought you guys would be interested in this article about Mary Poppins' new DVD incarnation. The photo included seems to be from the inside of the case or maybe the back of it. It could however just be some form of advertisement. Either way it has a little image of what The Animated portion of The Cat Who Looked at a King segment might look like. Just in case you were interested...here's the link:

http://www.animated-news.com/archives/00002388.html

Amazon.com has the new 2-Disc Soundtrack for Mary Poppins available for pre-order. I bought my copy...did you?
Chris
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Chris »

Here is a wonderful photograph taken on the set of Mary Poppins. Isn't it just great? I'm sure there will be many more interesting photos like this included in the stills gallery of the new Anniversary DVD.

"She sailed out of the Disney-blue heavens, umbrella in hand, and promptly elicited every gorgeous adjective in the book from reviewers coast to coast."
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

Julie Andrews looks so cross in that picture...then I would be too if I had a bird on my finger.

Escapay
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Chris
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Chris »

Julie talks about why she looks so cross in the photo:

"The Spoonful of Sugar number", she said, "with Walt's idea for a robin to flutter in, perch on my finger and chirp while I sang, was a charming notion, but tormenting to shoot."

"They made an Audio Animatronics bird, and they strung yards of control wires under my costume and along one sleeve. Then, while the crew animated the robin, which was taped to my hand, I had to sing to the playback syncronized for twitters."

"Walt was smart. He didn't visit the set that day." - Julie Andrews
That1GuyPictures
Gold Classic Collection

I WISH THEY WOULD HURRY UP AND GIVE US SOME SCREEN SHOTS OR SOMETHING! ALADDIN WAS A GREAT HOLDOVER...BUT I WANT MY MARY POPPINS!!!!!!!!!!!1
That1GuyPictures
Gold Classic Collection

THE COVER FOR THE 2-DISC CD SET OF MARY POPPINS IS NOW UP
and pictured at Bestbuy.com and at Amazon.com in the link below...

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0006 ... ZZZZZZ.jpg