Walt Disney Treasures Wave 4 - Press Release

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
matthewgb
Limited Issue

Post by matthewgb »

Class316 wrote: Disneyland USA has much more than that chopped off.

MMILC has the censored clock cleaners episode (I had to get an LD transfer of the original on DVD)

And Silly Symphonies doesn’t include the original three little pigs (again, (I had to get an LD transfer of the original on DVD)
I have confidence that Leonard Maltin is aware that there were things he would have liked to have included complete in the Disneyland USA portion, but because of rights issues was unable to include. A situation that will likely be remedied in upcoming treasures.
I suspect the clock cleaners problem was an unintentional slip. It is reasonable to assume that with the first wave they were jut testing the waters to see how these dvds would sell. While there was some restoration done and these were highly advertised, on the worst looking cartoons it is more than likely they took the cleanest prints that already existed and plugged those onto the disc. It is unimaginable to think they would have looked over and restored every cartoon. The cost would have been enormous. It might have been an innocent oversight, not some screwy conspiracy.
The re-edited version of the three little pigs occured just a few years after the initial release of the short, and well within Walts lifetime. While the audio version does not exist in any known home viewing format, the European versions show the original animation. Its the same story with the Pastoral Sequence from Fantasia. It is highly unlikely the US will see this version unedited. A European unedited version is also highly unlikely.
Class316
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Class316 »

SS should have had both versions. The Leonard's pick should have been the original one. In fact, he advertises it in the intro.
MickeyMousePal
Signature Collection

Post by MickeyMousePal »

That's great all the Walt Disney Treasures sound great.
I can't wait to get them all in December I'm really looking forward this set.
I really like the Walt Disney Treasures.
All of the Treasures are great to buy even the Mickey Mouse Club. :D
The Simpsons Season 11 Buy it Now!

Fox Sunday lineup:

8:00 The Simpsons
8:30 King of the Hill
9:00 Family Guy
9:30 American Dad

Living in the 1980's:
deathie mouse
Ultraviolet Edition

Post by deathie mouse »

Ok here's some dethi rummiations :P

Since b/w doesn't have color info, you could "fit" 50% more time in b/w with the same compression quality on a DVD disc.

So a single layer disc could fit 90minutes of b/w with the minimum mpeg2 compression, and a double layer disc 3 hours..

Treasure 2-disc sets have an average (I think) of about 4 hours in color since they usually use near minimum compression. B/w Treasures could last 6 hours without sacrificing quality.

(Some DVD titles on the other hand, use much more compression than minimum, for example, when you have 2 versions (pan-scan/widescreen) of a 2 hour color movie on a double layer disc you're actually compressing it twice more than the minimum.)

Mickey in B/W 2:

I count 40 missing mickey b/w shorts (7 with Pete!). At 7-8 minutes each, that's between 4 hours 40 minutes to 5 hours 20 minutes for all of them.. They all could fit easily into a two disc set using the best quality, minimum compression. No reason or justification there for not including them all on this treasure.

Pluto:

With 48 Pluto shorts in color, if you wanted to use minimum compression, you could only fit around 30-35 on 2 discs, with no extras. So maybe that's why they may justify they being splitted. (Of course you could fit all the remaining ones on just one 2-disc set with more compression)
Or they could do it as a 3 disc set which would make it very special. But I don't think that's gonna happen.

Mickey Mouse Club:

If the 66 MMC shows lasted about 50-55 minutes, and they were in b/w, you would need about 18 to 20 double layer discs for 66 "hour" episodes at the minimum compression with no extras.
Since 2099net said they switched to half hour shows at some point, this figure would be less.

On a 2 disc treasure they can only fit 6 to 7 "hour" b/w ones that way, so the week's worth (5) with extras seems appropiate.

If they are in color you would need 28 to 30 discs for 66 episodes. A 2 disc treasure could fit the week's 5 in color with a little more (like 10% more) than minimum compression with no extras. With extras they would need to increase compresion like an additional 25% more for an hour of supplementary material, 50% more for 2 hours, etc etc. (Or they could compress the extra material to hell :P )

Further thoughts on Mickey B/W releases:
Class316 wrote:Actually, MM B&W vol 1 had the same shorts as the LD. So it was basically a port
And since the Laserdisc was NTSC, that might explain why there's no PAL release of this, while it was released in Japan (NTSC). No PAL masters being created at the Laserdisc time, nor new transfers done just solely for PAL at the DVD's release.
Which would mean, that there might not be a PAL b/w volume 2 offered, unless they now decided to do new transfers for the first b/w batch for the PAL market. (or they could done PAL transfers for volume 2 and offer this as a stand alone PAL volume X :twisted: which would be weird if it had no Steamboat Willie. (Didn't there was a momentary period in which the UK press release for MM in living color seemed to give the impression there would be some b/w included? maybe this is related.)

And I still think Chrono Donald 2 shoulda been included with this wave :donald: With its cover swatch colored green. To complete the color scheme :P
Class316
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Class316 »

deathie mouse wrote:With 48 Pluto shorts in color, if you wanted to use minimum compression, you could only fit around 30-35 on 2 discs, with no extras. So maybe that's why they may justify they being splitted. (Of course you could fit all the remaining ones on just one 2-disc set with more compression)
Or they could do it as a 3 disc set which would make it very special. But I don't think that's gonna happen.
huh? All Goofy are in one 2-disc set.
Loomis
Signature Collection
Location: Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Post by Loomis »

Class316 wrote:
deathie mouse wrote:With 48 Pluto shorts in color, if you wanted to use minimum compression, you could only fit around 30-35 on 2 discs, with no extras. So maybe that's why they may justify they being splitted. (Of course you could fit all the remaining ones on just one 2-disc set with more compression)
huh? All Goofy are in one 2-disc set.
Yes, and there are 46 of those (if memory serves). I think deathie is looking at this purely from a technical standpoint, with a view to optimal audio and video

A complete 2-Disc Pluto would be more that possible though. I don't think Goofy suffered much from the fact that they were all on 2-discs. I mean, we are only talking about 5 1/2 hours worth here (approximately).

However, my personal belief is that they now have to stretch the other major characters out a bit simply to justify more waves. Do you think the next wave would sell as well if there weren't any of the major players there? With almost all of the Mickey shorts available (give or take) after Wave 4, Pluto and Donald are certainly going to be heavy features in the next few waves.
Behind the Panels - Comic book news, reviews and podcast
The Reel Bits - All things film
Twitter - Follow me on Twitter
deathie mouse
Ultraviolet Edition

Post by deathie mouse »

What Loomis said.

You have to remember I said with MINIMUM compression. If a double layer dvd disc lasts more than about 120 minutes (including all content) you're starting to compress the image more than the minimum. The Goofy treasure being 46 seven to eight minute shorts, at around 5 to 6 hours, means they are compressed 50% more than minimum. So I conjetured that one reason that might be used to justify splitting Pluto into 2 treasures could be that. Personally I would like to see all the Pluto shorts on one set so it would be THE Complete Pluto treasure, but if they split it in two and there's slight quality improvements, my film faithfullness side says, ok, I'll guess it'll be another $30...

Actualy I think THAT'S what shoulda been done with Goofy: Two treasure volumes, including the almost hours worth of the missing Goofy shorts Freewayphobia No. 1 (1965), Goofy's Freeway Trouble (1965), and Sport Goofy in Soccermania (1986), plus maybe repeating one or two of the first couple of appearances by him in the Mickey b/w shorts at the beggining of the sets for perspective's sake. That way they all would fit easily on 2 sets with room to spare for more extras. Maybe some Goof Troop material, Goofy movie trailers or something. That woulda been a truer Complete Goofy.

(There are also 5 other Goofy appearances not yet released but they are Mickey/Donald shorts)
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

deathie mouse wrote:Mickey in B/W 2:

I count 40 missing mickey b/w shorts (7 with Pete!). At 7-8 minutes each, that's between 4 hours 40 minutes to 5 hours 20 minutes for all of them.. They all could fit easily into a two disc set using the best quality, minimum compression. No reason or justification there for not including them all on this treasure.

[snip]

Further thoughts on Mickey B/W releases:
Class316 wrote:Actually, MM B&W vol 1 had the same shorts as the LD. So it was basically a port
And since the Laserdisc was NTSC, that might explain why there's no PAL release of this, while it was released in Japan (NTSC). No PAL masters being created at the Laserdisc time, nor new transfers done just solely for PAL at the DVD's release.
Which would mean, that there might not be a PAL b/w volume 2 offered, unless they now decided to do new transfers for the first b/w batch for the PAL market. (or they could done PAL transfers for volume 2 and offer this as a stand alone PAL volume X :twisted: which would be weird if it had no Steamboat Willie. (Didn't there was a momentary period in which the UK press release for MM in living color seemed to give the impression there would be some b/w included? maybe this is related.)
As for the first point, I seriously doubt Disney UK are holding back on a UK release of the Black and White set because no PAL transfers exist. As if they care! I would guess the reason they are holding back is because they think the DVDs are for kids and Black and White won't sell. Look at all the pointless character compilations they seem to be keen to sell, and you'll see where Disney UKs priorities lie.

Well the second point (about the crap UK Mickey Mouse in Living Colour Press Release) just goes to show that marketing can get things wrong, and sometimes spectacularly wrong. (Of course, UK Disney marketing tends to get everything wrong :roll: ).

I still think Pluto will be complete. I'm hoping the whole thing is a huge PR mistake. There's months until the actual release, and sometimes I don't think your American residents appreciate how lucky you are just to get press releases at all, let alone this early. I can't explain the years on the Pluto cover, but I do know this cover art has only been generated as a guide for retailers and most certainly will not be the final artwork (look at the changes we've seen on the Sleeping Beauty, Lion King and Aladdin covers).

I do think Mickey Mouse in Black and While Vol 2 will include the rest of his shorts. But I can also understand (which doesn't mean I support) it if two or three go "missing". I do not think Disney are planning a third Mickey Mouse Black and White set. This second Mickey B/W set is going to be a defining moment for the series one way or another.

As for dragging the sets out, I don't think so. 3-4 releases a year is hardly going to cause the studio to run out of content. Especially as there are still 3(?) Donald Sets, 1 Silly Symphony and 1(?) general cartoon sets to go - that's enough for another 5 years. They don't need to drag Pluto out for another year. Plus if they really wanted to release "drop dead" content each year, there's still the little issue of "Song of the South". So that's 6 years of killer releases per wave (taking us to 2010), by which time given their previous marketing pattern they'll be totally justified in repeating the previous sets again.

When On The Front Lines was delayed, it was delayed for a good reason, so I'm sure the same it true for True Life Adventures. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if the True Life Adventures are removed from the Treasures series and released complete as a multi-disc set at some point in 2005 (partly based on Amazon's placeholder listing and partly based on the fact that it is not possible to release the whole series on one 2 disc set).

Given the limited nature of the releases, and their general sell-through to retailer rate (ie, the retailer takes the risk, not Disney itself) it would be in Disney's interest to release 4 tins each wave from a financial point of view. They certainly have enough in their "vaults" to do this.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
Anders M Olsson
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Anders M Olsson »

One thing that caught my interest was the note that bonus materials on the Pluto set include “The Story of Dogs” featurette.

I wonder if that means the Disneyland episode "A Story of Dogs" (1954)? If so, I do hope they include the complete episode.
STASHONE
Anniversary Edition

Post by STASHONE »

^ That wouldn't make much sense considering it's a behind the scenes episode of the making of Lady & The Tramp. It would be a nice inclusion on an upcoming Platinum Ed. though.
Anders M Olsson
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Anders M Olsson »

STASHONE wrote:^ That wouldn't make much sense considering it's a behind the scenes episode of the making of Lady & The Tramp. It would be a nice inclusion on an upcoming Platinum Ed. though.
Well, what makes sense or not is a matter of opinion. Personally, I get really frustrated when they include only parts of a show. Just as I get really, really happy every time a full Disneyland episode arrives on DVD. Right now, I'm anxiously waiting for my Darby O'Gill DVD... :D

They really should give us boxed seasons! But I'm getting off topic now.
mvealf
Gold Classic Collection

Post by mvealf »

deathie mouse wrote:
Even though they include the same cartoons as the LD box (plus one), they used different transfers. Steamboat Willie was censored on the LD, but uncensored on the DVD. The DVD was released 9 years after the LD, and Disney never seems to use the same transfer the second time around.
Class316 wrote:And Silly Symphonies doesn’t include the original three little pigs (again, (I had to get an LD transfer of the original on DVD)
But it did include the original Three Pigs on the PAL tin, for some odd reason. They intentionally changed it for the second release. The original is also available in Japan on DVD.
Visit the home of my Disney Japanese laserdiscs
http://www.geocities.com/disney_laserdiscs
Class316
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Class316 »

mvealf wrote:But it did include the original Three Pigs on the PAL tin, for some odd reason. They intentionally changed it for the second release. The original is also available in Japan on DVD.
I'm wondering, does the pal version include BOTH versions or just the original one?
Tannerman
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Tannerman »

Boy, this conversation is getting confusing! :?
Walt Disney Treasures - Custom Disney DVD Inserts
deathie mouse
Ultraviolet Edition

Post by deathie mouse »

mvealf wrote:Even though they include the same cartoons as the LD box (plus one), they used different transfers. Steamboat Willie was censored on the LD, but uncensored on the DVD. The DVD was released 9 years after the LD, and Disney never seems to use the same transfer the second time around.
mvealf is THE LaserMaster! :D Thanks for the info cus I didn't know that since I've never seen the Laserdisc box set (which was around US$125 I think!) So 2099net may be completely right about that one. And there may be 21rst century PAL masters done after all for that collection of shorts. So where are they Disney Co.?? :evil: :P

I do hope the second set has the "controversial" shorts, at least deeply Easter egged. Oh the suspense...

Anders wrote:One thing that caught my interest was the note that bonus materials on the Pluto set include “The Story of Dogs” featurette.

I wonder if that means the Disneyland episode "A Story of Dogs" (1954)? If so, I do hope they include the complete episode.
Well if they do that, then there's more reason to split the shorts into 2 volumes since a full Disneyland episode would a take a bit of space. Oh the suspense...

MMC color or b/w? Oh the suspense...

Cus if it is in b/w, this turns out to be a 66% b/w wave
Oh the suspense
Ciaobelli
Special Edition

Post by Ciaobelli »

MMBW2 Will definetly be a turning point in the series. I really hope they don't chicken out. It would be a bad blow to Disney's reputation in my eyes and in those of many other collectors. Lets hope.
Sethp
Limited Issue

Post by Sethp »

1930 - 1947, that means they'll include the chain gang, the first time pluto made an apearance as with the the wise little hen on the Donald set. after a quick count it looks like there was about 26 films that features pluto after 1947, but some of these are shorts with Pluto as mickeys sidekick. Without any effort they could have included all pluto shorts! The same thing witht the donald set, they could have included even more shorts. First i suspected that that set had nice bonus features but nope, a 5(!!) minute presentation of Clarence Nash!!?

*sigh* Looks like the're getting greedy :(
Porce
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Porce »

Sethp wrote:*sigh* Looks like the're getting greedy :(
Amen. After that double-dipping on the Front Lines, Donald, and Mickey Color 2 sets last wave, it would inevitably lead to this. Ten years of cartoons worth of double-dipping here, and they also leave off the 1948-1951 shorts just so they can re-release a bunch of Mickey Mouse cartoons on a second volume.

And of all the characters to do this to us, why Pluto...? In my opinion, he's the least watchable of all of Disney's lead characters.
The user formerly known as Dacp
Sethp
Limited Issue

Post by Sethp »

Now i'm getting a bit confused, What do you mean by double dipping?

A. Releasing a low amount of films per treasure set thus creating more voumes.

B. Releasing shorts that are avalible on other sets like How to be a sailor and Victory Veichles is avalible on both Goofy and On the front lines.

C. other

Hope you dont mind explaining this for me jaa? ;)
deathie mouse
Ultraviolet Edition

Post by deathie mouse »

B.

double dipping is when you buy content you already have twice.