Walt Disney Treasures Wave 4 - Press Release

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Joe Carioca
Collector's Edition

Post by Joe Carioca »

Great review as always, Luke!
Even though I still think this will be my least favorite of the Treasures, I have already ordered it just for completeness sake. And even if I don't like it that much, it IS an important piece of Disney history and that alone is enough for it to be in my collection, hehe.
Quasimodo

Post by Quasimodo »

FYI...I picked the Wave 4 Treasures up today at Wal-Mart, and in the display they had several copies of "DisneyLand USA", "Behind the Scenes at the Disney Studio", and the Wave 3 Treasures. Anyone still looking for these may want to check out Wal-Mart if you have one nearby.
No face as hideous as my face was ever meant for Heaven's Light.
My DVD Collection
deathie mouse
Ultraviolet Edition

Post by deathie mouse »

Well I got my treasures today by going on a 5 hour safari to hunt the complete set as Mickey Mouse in BW 2 didn't show up in several BordersSuncoastsWalmarts I went. I finally tracked it down at Cotsco. (which at $22 had the lowest price (by $2) from the others)

btw if anyone is interested i think i saw a Davy Crockett on one of them stores (since Quasimmodo didn't mention that one on his posts)

Anyway Pluto says ONLY The Complete Pluto on the tin, the volume 1 thing is just a sticker (on the inside cover it relaces the dates on the tin with Volume 1 tho)

I'll give further thoughts on the package in the other topic

Butin the meantime, for your pleasure, here's a quick scan from Pluto (and HIS treasure). Enjoy :D

Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

deathie mouse wrote:
btw if anyone is interested i think i saw a Davy Crockett on one of them stores (since Quasimmodo didn't mention that one on his posts)
I hope I can find that one, as it is the only one I didn't buy when they first came out and now I wish I had. I figured that I wouldn't watch it as much as the others, but now when I see all them pretty tins on my shelf I can't help but think how much nicer it would look with the Davy Crockett tin up there as well.
Lars Vermundsberget
Collector's Edition

Post by Lars Vermundsberget »

deathie mouse wrote:Anyway Pluto says ONLY The Complete Pluto on the tin, the volume 1 thing is just a sticker (on the inside cover it relaces the dates on the tin with Volume 1 tho)
Not good. I guess most of us here know what we're buying, but they are letting a lot of people believe that this single volume is the complete Pluto. I think they're trying to get away with something. Sad. :roll:
deathie mouse
Ultraviolet Edition

Post by deathie mouse »

Actually, also on the spine of the cover of the slipcase it ONLY says "The Complete Pluto" (unlike MM bw2 and LC2 which include the voluminizing) (by Löreal) Soooo it makes me think that a long log time ago in a roygalaxy far far away it began life as a complete volume, maybe the tin front covers were ordered and printed the spines designed etc etc. Could it be that's one reason the back covers are bare now? More flexibility in final Finesse of contents? Only her hairdresser knows for sure

Or the complete single volume back cover ones WERE printed then scrapped then mmm it would be weird that only one was bare with glued-on info while the others weren't so those were changed too, nescessitating eliminating ChronoDonald2 from this run cus we have to save up on tin this year because the greenhouse effect is melting our polar caps and Burbank will end up underwater some day!

Mulder I smell a rat!

;)
Class316
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Class316 »

The Pluto cover is 100% accurate.

It's the complete Pluto from 1930-1947.
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

For those of you who don't venture to the front page and other sections enough, Jack's terrific review of <b>Mickey Mouse in Black & White Volume 2</b> has just been posted:
http://www.ultimatedisney.com/mmblackwhite2.html
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

The set's been out for over a week, and the review for almost a day, but in case you missed it, here it is:

<center>UltimateDisney.com presents

an Ultimate Guide to Disney DVD Review

a Leonard Maltin tin

Pluto in

<a href="http://www.ultimatedisney.com/pluto1.html"><b>Walt Disney Treasures: The Complete Pluto</b></a> (Volume 1)
</center>

Enjoy!
Poppins#1
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Poppins#1 »

Pardon me, for bumping an old thread, But I was just wondering about something. I didn't buy the Walt Disney Treasure Tins waves three and four because I was hoping Disney would do the same thing they did with waves one and two. After the first two waves went on moratorium, Disney issued a 7 title box set of all wave one and two without the tins. It was exclusive to Costco and I believe also the Disney Movie Club (of which I'm not a member). I bought the box set because it was cheaper than getting them individually and it takes up less space.

I didn't buy waves three and four in the tins because I was hoping they would do the same thing and make a box set available at Costco. Is there any hope that this will happen or am I just out of luck?
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

I thought they did the boxset just to offload the sets that had damaged tins?

I too was hoping for a boxset, or perhaps a new megaboxset with all four waves (despite the fact that I have CD, TL, and CP). That would be kickass man.

Escapay
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

As Escapay said, that box set was made up of DVDs that had been returned becasue the tins had been badly damaged. I think the chances of another box set are really slim.

If I were you I'd get wave 3 or 4 as soon as possible, as they're are not quite that difficult to get just yet!
Poppins#1
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Poppins#1 »

You're telling me that there were that many damaged tins? So many that they could repackage them and give an ample supply to every Costco in the country? I find that hard to believe. Escapay and Ichabod, where did you here that the boxset was from damaged tins? It seems more likely to me that there was a production overrun of discs because maybe they underestimated the yeild and they had all these extra discs with no tins.

At any rate, I think you're probably right that it won't happen again for wave 3 and 4. I should probably get the tins even though they won't match the rest of my set.
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Poppins#1 wrote:I should probably get the tins even though they won't match the rest of my set.
You can always take the keepcases out of the tins and then they'll match!
Poppins#1
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Poppins#1 »

Luke wrote:You can always take the keepcases out of the tins and then they'll match!
Wow! You mean there are keepcases inside the tins that are exactly like the ones in the box set? Since I never bought the tins, I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Poppins#1 wrote:Wow! You mean there are keepcases inside the tins that are exactly like the ones in the box set? Since I never bought the tins, I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.
Yep, I haven't seen the non-tin sets personally, but I'd assume they match the keepcases that are inside the tins. Except of course, Wave 4's keepcases were white, so they won't match perfectly. The horror! The horror! :)
MinnieMe
Special Edition

Post by MinnieMe »

Re: Damaged Tins.

I was looking on ebay for the treasures (never bought any on there, too expensive) and found that there had been a later limited production (approx 10,500) of the ones without tins (box sets).

I think that the tins were probably relatively expensive to make and they cut costs by making the boxed set. I don't think it was because thousands upon thousands of tins were returned after being damaged and they just happened to have the right amount to match them all up into boxed sets and sell them that way.

But who knows.
Lars Vermundsberget
Collector's Edition

Post by Lars Vermundsberget »

I can't tell if anyone actually knows, but I read that thing about damaged tins more than once around the time those seven-treasure sets appeared.
Bill W
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Bill W »

This same point has been brought up several times before and I'll repeat what I've said in the past: the Treasures in the Ultimate Treasure Chest sold at Costco and Disneydirect.com did not come from damaged tins. The 7 Treasures in the Ultimate Treasure Chest did not include the Lithographs that the back panel of the case talks about. There is no way on the planet that Buena Vista would pay someone to open up 73,500 DVD cases and remove a lithograph card (10,500 sets times 7 Treasures per set), assuming there were 10,500 sets produced.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised to see a similar set of Waves 3 and 4 in the near future. If I remember correctly, the first Ultimate Treasure Chest debuted in October, just prior to the planned December release of Wave 3.