Favourite of the Underused of Disney

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Favourite of the Underused of Disney

Post by Atlantica »

This post is to be dedicated to the underused moments / characters / films / park areas / songs / scores of Disney; anything that you think is wonderful or funny or heartbreaking or just plain brilliant that Disney choses to ignore, and as a result isn't in the public awareness as you feel it should.

My first pick will be for 'God Help The Outcasts' from The Hunchback of Notre Dame:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEEpavnk7Uw

It's heartbreaking, beautiful, and perfectly fits the moment. I would go as far as saying its one of the greatest songs in the Disney cannon; it makes me so sad its more or less forgotten by everyone bar the ardent Disney fans.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Re: Favourite of the Underused of Disney

Post by thedisneyspirit »

Eilonwy and Kida.

Also, The Jungle Book. People say it's a lesser Lion King but I find it a bit more enjoyable than TLK, maybe because it's not as pretentious as TLK.

Also, "Feed the Birds". I think it's a sweeter song than the iconic "When You Wish upon a Star", and less sugary.
tlc38tlc38
Special Edition

Post by tlc38tlc38 »

"Hercules", "The Black Cauldron", "Robin Hood", "The Fox and the Hound", "Pocahontas", "Lilo & Stitch"

And, "Baby Mine" from Dumbo. The best Disney song...EVER.
Walmart: the perfect place to shop for a headache at a discount price.
Darby
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Darby »

2 things immediately come to mind:

1. Its entire catalog of classic live-action films (especially from the Walt-era).

2. The Disneyland anthology show in its various incarnations.

Darby
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

The forgotten princesses (Tiger Lily, Eilonwy, Kida, Nancy).
The Black Cauldron as a whole.
Pete's Dragon, The Fox and the Hound, Oliver and Company, Atlantis, Treasure Planet.
The songs from The Rescuers.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Probably the television series "Gargoyles." Drives me nuts how under utilized this property is when it's owned by a company that profitizes everything. I've said it before and I'll say it again, but Disney is sitting on a gold mine in "Gargoyles." Ugh.
Tangled
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Tangled »

The package films from the 40s besides Fantasia. Sure, I wasn't too fond of them as Disney movies, but some of the specific shorts were gorgeous and truely spectacular feats of animation, and truely worth admiring on their own. I don't think enough people realize how ground breaking the Disney movies made between Bambi and Cinderella truly were, even if they were made to fit strict World War 2-era budget limitations.

Also, a very different example, but Gravity Falls. Disney just doesn't realize what a great and clever property they have on their hands...and they totally ignore it. It's the closest thing they have that can stand as competition to other popular current animated programing (I'm mostly thinking about Adventure Time here, as well as Regular Show and My Little Pony, with similar appeal and fanbases). Yet, it got nowhere near the amount of merchandising effort as Phineas and Ferb, which is a real shame. There's just so much potential past a TV show. I mean, they could make clothing, books, toys (I just want an official Waddles plush Disney), a video game or give it attention in the parks...nope. It's squandered to Disney XD and season 2 is a complete afterthought.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Oh my gosh blackcauldron85, The Rescuers songs !!!

I had totally forgotten about them; probably some of the most heartbreaking music put to a Disney film.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Atlantica wrote:Oh my gosh blackcauldron85, The Rescuers songs !!!

I had totally forgotten about them; probably some of the most heartbreaking music put to a Disney film.
I agree. For being as successful a film as it was when it came out, not only are the songs underused (I mean, in Disney compilation CDs, and the DisneyMania CDs, in the parks, etc.), but Bernard and Bianca really are underused; last year, Disney Store had a Bernard and Bianca Christmas ornament, and I was so excited to see them on some merchandise. So, really both Rescuers films in general, because even though TRDU didn't do amazing at the box office compared to other DACs of the era, the technological achievements on that film were huge, and of course the original film really helped the studio continue making animated films.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

The original is such an underrated Classic; its a shame its sort of been erased from the public conscience.

"….don't cry little one, make a wish for each sad little tear. Hold your head up, though no one is here …. someones waiting for you". :(
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

I love the scores to Song of the South, Bedknobs and Broomsticks and Pete's Dragon.
2Disney4Ever
Gold Classic Collection

Post by 2Disney4Ever »

My favorite underused Disney movies/cartoons would include:

Bonkers
Buzz Lightyear of Star Command
Honey, I Shrunk the Kids
Marsupilami
Nightmare Ned
Oliver & Company
Pepper Ann
Roger Rabbit
The Black Cauldron
The Great Mouse Detective
The Rescuers
Treasure Planet

I always felt that A Bug's Life was extremely underused also back when I was more into Pixar's work.

Love traditional Disney animation? Send your art to: http://2disney4ever.deviantart.com/
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

I don't think Roger Rabbit is that underrated. Nostalgia Kids like Doug Walker always speak fondly of it, and the cast managed to get Funko Pops of themselves recently, so I don't think they public has forgotten this film.
Tristy
Special Edition

Post by Tristy »

thedisneyspirit wrote:I don't think Roger Rabbit is that underrated. Nostalgia Kids like Doug Walker always speak fondly of it, and the cast managed to get Funko Pops of themselves recently, so I don't think they public has forgotten this film.
It's not so much underrated since everybody still talks about it. It's more because Roger is a product of both Disney and Spielberg that there isn't much seen of him. Though with the Funko Pops, they seem to be on good terms about it.
2Disney4Ever
Gold Classic Collection

Post by 2Disney4Ever »

thedisneyspirit wrote:I don't think Roger Rabbit is that underrated. Nostalgia Kids like Doug Walker always speak fondly of it, and the cast managed to get Funko Pops of themselves recently, so I don't think they public has forgotten this film.
I think it's more that Roger isn't used as much by Disney anymore as he was in the early 90's back when he was considered their next big cartoon star with the theatrical shorts and his huge presence in the theme parks.

Pity. I love Roger Rabbit to bits.

Love traditional Disney animation? Send your art to: http://2disney4ever.deviantart.com/
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Spoiler For Kingdom Keepers Books.

Judge Doom shows up in the final Kingdom Keepers Book and kills someone. Won't say who it is because I don't want to ruin it at all.
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx