Disney Princess Collection DVDs Press Release

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sully
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Sully »

And don't forget Princess Dot, who's included in Disney Princess books and merchandise. At least she's a real princess though. :roll:
LovelyBelle

Re: Where's the REAL Princess?

Post by LovelyBelle »

MisterMalificent wrote:Okay I know this is kinda picky but some of the Princesses from Disney propoganda arent princesses.

Belle is NOT a Princess, shes a cute librarian who befreinds a beast, that doesnt make her a princess.

Cinderella was only a princess by marriage, most of the movie she was a slave for an evil woman.

Alice is not a princess , she was a little girl who fell in a whole.

Tinkerbell is not a princess shes a little fairy.

Mulan ( although I love her to death) is not a princess

The real Princesses are Jasmine, Snow White, Aurora, Ariel, the girl from sword in the stone who remains forgotten.

And if no -princess heroines can be called princesses, what about Ezmerelda, Meg, Nala, Maid Marian, the girl from peter pan, Jane, Sally, Lilo, Kida,
Excuse me? Belle IS a princess, she married a PRINCE, and she wasn't even a librarian. Haven't you seen the movie?

Same with Cinderella. She marries a Prince. Plus, come on, she's like the most important princess! Her castle is the centre of WDW, it's on the little Walt Disney Pictures logo that comes on before the movies, and she certainly seems to be the most popular as far as merchandise.

Nobody says that Alice and Tinker Bell are princesses.

I am so sick of this whole who-is-a-princess debate... I mean, what does it matter, really? :evil: This is Disney we're talking about, not the United Kingdom!
DreamerQ18
Anniversary Edition

Post by DreamerQ18 »

LovelyBelle wrote:
MisterMalificent wrote:Okay I know this is kinda picky but some of the Princesses from Disney propoganda arent princesses.

Belle is NOT a Princess, shes a cute librarian who befreinds a beast, that doesnt make her a princess.

Cinderella was only a princess by marriage, most of the movie she was a slave for an evil woman.

Alice is not a princess , she was a little girl who fell in a whole.

Tinkerbell is not a princess shes a little fairy.

Mulan ( although I love her to death) is not a princess

The real Princesses are Jasmine, Snow White, Aurora, Ariel, the girl from sword in the stone who remains forgotten.

And if no -princess heroines can be called princesses, what about Ezmerelda, Meg, Nala, Maid Marian, the girl from peter pan, Jane, Sally, Lilo, Kida,
Excuse me? Belle IS a princess, she married a PRINCE, and she wasn't even a librarian. Haven't you seen the movie?

Same with Cinderella. She marries a Prince. Plus, come on, she's like the most important princess! Her castle is the centre of WDW, it's on the little Walt Disney Pictures logo that comes on before the movies, and she certainly seems to be the most popular as far as merchandise.

Nobody says that Alice and Tinker Bell are princesses.

I am so sick of this whole who-is-a-princess debate... I mean, what does it matter, really? :evil: This is Disney we're talking about, not the United Kingdom!
:lol: hehehehehe your last statement totaly made me laugh.

And I agree with everything you said about the Princess and Heroine subject (hem hem ) And Belle and Cinderella are so Princess the marry royalty... Yep :) thats all I have to say about that.
Little Red Henski
Special Edition

Post by Little Red Henski »

Well Alice is a queen in the original books. I only consider Snow White, Cinderella & Aurora to be real Disney princesses. :twisted: I consider Ariel, Belle, Jasmine & Pocahontis to be Esiner Princesses
DreamerQ18
Anniversary Edition

Post by DreamerQ18 »

Little Red Henski wrote:Well Alice is a queen in the original books. I only consider Snow White, Cinderella & Aurora to be real Disney princesses. :twisted: I consider Ariel, Belle, Jasmine & Pocahontis to be Esiner Princesses
Wow I didnt know about that whole Alice thing thats pretty cool wow learn somehting new everyday :) .
Howere I totaly beg to differ about the young ladies Ariel's father was King Triton and even if that dosnet count in your eyes she Married Prince Eric.

Belle same thing married a prince who just so happen to have been a beast before But only casue he was bad.

Jasmie her father is the ruler of Agrabah they live in a palace (sorry if my spelling is wrong) and they refer to her as princess every where she went.

Pochantas her father was the chief of the village she lived kind of like the a king when you think about it just a diffrent name . In my eyes I think they are.
Kram Nebuer
Anniversary Edition

Post by Kram Nebuer »

MisterMalificent wrote:And if no -princess heroines can be called princesses, what about Ezmerelda, Meg, Nala, Maid Marian, the girl from peter pan, Jane, Sally, Lilo, Kida,
MisterMalificent wrote:the girl from peter pan
That would be Wendy. :)

Nala, technically is a princess. If Simba and Mufasa are Lion Kings, then she and her sisters and mother and Sarabi and all those other females are Lion Queens and Princesses. Think about it. Mufasa was the only male surrounded by all the other female lions and here's little Nala. I wonder who her father is...Anyhow, in another thread (I think the Princess Coleection DVDs Press Release thread) we concluded Maid Marian as a Princess through King Richard. Kida was princess of Atlantis since her father was the ruler and Milo referred to them as the royal family.

Who the heck is Sally? Mayber you're confusing her with Penny from the Rescuers or the girl from Oliver and COmpany. The only character I can think of is the doll of Sid's sister from Toy Story.
<a href=http://kramnebuer.dvdaf.com/>My ºoº DVDs </a>
jedipir8

Post by jedipir8 »

Having never been to WDW i can't comment on that but seeing as WDL was walt's baby, i assume the emblem before the movies is actually the castle from WDL. And growing up in So Cal, and even working at WDL for a summer (Pieces of 8 was the funnest place to work FYI) I can tell you the castle is actually Sleeping Beauty's not Cinderella's.[/quote]
Starion
Anniversary Edition

Post by Starion »

Kram Nebuer wrote:Nala, technically is a princess. If Simba and Mufasa are Lion Kings, then she and her sisters and mother and Sarabi and all those other females are Lion Queens and Princesses. Think about it. Mufasa was the only male surrounded by all the other female lions and here's little Nala. I wonder who her father is.
I agree! Good point Kram Nebuer. :up: Also, Kiara is a princess. She even says that she is a princess... or "not just a princess, you know?" :)

Later
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Kram Nebuer wrote: Who the heck is Sally? Maybe you're confusing her with Penny from the Rescuers or the girl from Oliver and COmpany. The only character I can think of is the doll of Sid's sister from Toy Story.
Wasn't Sally the name of the girl in Nightmare Before Christmas? In that case, she's a Queen (if you follow the logical conclusion that she married Jack).

jedipir8- It may be that this particular logo wasn't struck up until after WDW was built. That's before my time, though, so I don't know. SB's castle is the center of DL, but Cinderella's Castle at WDW has definitely become the most famous across the country and globe.

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
pinkrenata
Anniversary Edition

Post by pinkrenata »

I believe we already established the fact that there is no specific guideline nor definition of what would be considered a Disney princess in this thread:

http://www.ultimatedisney.com/forum/vie ... php?t=3899
WIST #1 (The pinkrenata Edition) -- Kram Nebuer: *mouth full of Oreos* Why do you have a picture of Bobby Driscoll?

"I'm a nudist!" - Tommy Kirk
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

You know, this thread is pretty similar to the discussion we've already been having in the press release one. I'll merge them. Thanks, Renata!
"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president
Kram Nebuer
Anniversary Edition

Post by Kram Nebuer »

awallaceunc wrote:
Kram Nebuer wrote: Who the heck is Sally? Maybe you're confusing her with Penny from the Rescuers or the girl from Oliver and COmpany. The only character I can think of is the doll of Sid's sister from Toy Story.
Wasn't Sally the name of the girl in Nightmare Before Christmas? In that case, she's a Queen (if you follow the logical conclusion that she married Jack).

jedipir8- It may be that this particular logo wasn't struck up until after WDW was built. That's before my time, though, so I don't know. SB's castle is the center of DL, but Cinderella's Castle at WDW has definitely become the most famous across the country and globe.

-Aaron
Oh!! Okay. I guess I didn't think of her because I've never seen Nightmare Before Christmas. I almost saw it at a Christmas Family Reunion party, but we had to eat dinner once we started the tape, so I never saw it before.

You're right about Cinderella's Castle; I always think of it when thinking about Disney parks and it has a twin in Tokyo Disneyland. But the castle in the logo looks more like the SB castle in DL because its smaller and not as tall as Cinderella's. Just thought of something...did anyone see the 1995 trailer for SB on the SB DVD? I thought it was really cool that they made it really dramatic with the classical music.
<a href=http://kramnebuer.dvdaf.com/>My ºoº DVDs </a>
Mermaid Kelly
Anniversary Edition

Post by Mermaid Kelly »

Here's a link to hear and see the new song, "If You Can Dream", that will be on the three princess collection dvds! Watch it! It's pretty good! :)

http://www.totaleclips.com/player/splas ... pid=e19681
Image Image
anywhere_but_here

Little Mermaid Tv Serie

Post by anywhere_but_here »

Wow ! I've always been waiting for the Little Mermaid Tv Serie DVD release. :D Even if it's only a few episodes, I think it's great ! Does anyone know if there will be spanish or french laguages track :?
"There are things known and things unknown and in between are The Doors" - Jim Morrison
DisneyGirl
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DisneyGirl »

LovelyBelle wrote:
Little Red Henski wrote:I didn't know Mulan was a princess? Next thing you know Disney is going to start calling Kimpossible a Disney Princess. Why isn't there a Black Disney Princess?
Why should there be? Why does everything have to be PC??
I agree completly. I'm tired of seeing shows like Ghostwriter and other 'kids' shows that have one character from each ethnic background.

And I'd like to comment on Pocahontas and Mulan, though I'm sure it's been talked about before on this forum: Pocahontas is a chief's daughter, not a princess, and at the end of Mulan, Mulan hooks up with the army's general (general, right?)...hardly a princess.
DisneyGirl

Image After All These Years...& Still Wishing On Stars Image

My Collections
Joe Carioca
Collector's Edition

Post by Joe Carioca »

Well, being the daughter of the chief is kinda like being the daughter of the king/ruler, so Pocahontas can be considered a princess in her tribe.
DisneyGirl
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DisneyGirl »

Joe Carioca wrote: Well, being the daughter of the chief is kinda like being the daughter of the king/ruler, so Pocahontas is a princess in her tribe.

I guess it depends on how you look at it. Personally, here is who I consider to be a Disney Princess:

Snow White
Faline
Cinderella
Aurora
Ariel
Belle
Jasmine
Nala
Eilonwy
Kida
Pocahontas (I've changed my mind)
Meg

Dot, though she's from a Pixar film, she's still Disney.
I know MEg and Faline are iffy, but this is my own personal list.
chrisrose wrote:
Okay, I just have to say... what is up with the cutesy flirtatious looks on all of their faces?! Every single one of them is tilting her head down and looking up coyly... with an air of "aw shucks, do you really think I'm pwetty?" attitude about them. It's making me sick. Can't princesses be strong, brave and regal (like princes/kings)? I seem to recall Belle, Ariel and Jasmine at least had strong-willed and courageous personalities.

But I guess they (and all the young girls this is aimed at) should be nothing but helpless, dainty, ornamental little flirts. :roll:

Just you watch... when Mulan becomes a princess, it won't be a warrior princess! She'll become the very feminine girly-girl she couldn't be and didn't want to be in the original movie.
Chris, I have to agree with you. This whole marketing ploy with the Disney Princess is disgusting. I personally thought it was cute when it first came out, but having worked with kids from k-6th grade for the last four years has made me see what it does to kids. There are thousands of kids out there who firmly believe that they have to dress this way, act that way, be like this. I even had one girl whom I was watching who INSISTED everyone call her "Princess" and when we refused to since, obviously, it wasn't even close to her real name, she threw a tantrum and cried for FOUR hours.
Now I know that it's not Disney's fault. I, personally, blame the parents. While I am not a parent myself, I see nothing wrong with buying princess merchandise for my future child in moderation, and as long as they understand it's pretend....this seems to be lost on many families.
T-shirts and backpacks are one thing, but makeup sets and 'how to be a princess' dvds? Give me a break!
Mermaid Kelly wrote: I liked the look of Nani from Lilo and Stitch. She had more of the look of an average lady. Actually though, the look of the past Disney women isn't a bad look at all, they just have very skinny waists! :lol:
Yes I agree that Nani's figure is more realiztic, but those THIGHS, come on!
DisneyGirl

Image After All These Years...& Still Wishing On Stars Image

My Collections
Skullfarmer

The Belle story

Post by Skullfarmer »

Well, well...more direct-to-video garbage. I just want you guys to know
that "Mrs. Potts' Party" has been discredited, as well as the rest of
BELLE'S MAGICAL WORLD and THE ENCHANTED CHRISTMAS, due to
a paper I wrote on the films which can be read at the Internet Movie
Database...
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Just posted reviews of Stories ( http://www.ultimatedisney.com/princess-stories.html ) and Sing Along Songs ( http://www.ultimatedisney.com/princess-sing-along.html ). Was disappointed in the former and satisfied with the latter.
Loomis
Signature Collection
Location: Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Post by Loomis »

Luke wrote:Just posted reviews of Stories ( http://www.ultimatedisney.com/princess-stories.html )
Ooh! Pink keepcase!

The episodes would be worth owning, but probably not at that price.

The "new" shorts sound lame, and this sort of thing perpetuates the idea that DTV is crap.

Still, if it is released locally, and cheaper, I might look into it.

Apart from the pink keepcase, I don't think I'm convinced.

Thanks, Luke. For once, this site has STOPPED me from spending money.
Behind the Panels - Comic book news, reviews and podcast
The Reel Bits - All things film
Twitter - Follow me on Twitter