Disney Princess Collection DVDs Press Release

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Kram Nebuer
Anniversary Edition

Post by Kram Nebuer »

Just pondering, but...In the BATB Story behind the Story short, they said that Mulan is as well known in China as Cinderella is in western culture. Maybe someone misinterpreted this information and linked Mulan as a princess.

Or, maybe Disney just wanted to create more diversity in the group and made Mulan a princess. Or maybe the definition of princess changed without us knowing it. :lol:
<a href=http://kramnebuer.dvdaf.com/>My ºoº DVDs </a>
Leonia
Special Edition

Post by Leonia »

Kram Nebuer wrote:Just pondering, but...In the BATB Story behind the Story short, they said that Mulan is as well known in China as Cinderella is in western culture. Maybe someone misinterpreted this information and linked Mulan as a princess.
That theory sounds pretty plausible to me. It's a really thin analogy, though, IMO.
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Thanks, Leona. I like the poem, and it's cool to see the inspiration for the movie.

Was the movie well-received in China?

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
LovelyBelle

Post by LovelyBelle »

awallaceunc wrote: Was the movie well-received in China?
Can't answer that question, but we did watch it in Chinese in my Chinese class in High School. It was fun :)
Leonia
Special Edition

Post by Leonia »

-Aaron
According to IMDB.com, Mulan bombed in China.
Disney Mulls Mulan Failure In China
18 March 1999

Disney's Mulan has turned out to be an embarrassing flop for Disney in China. The official Xinhua news agency, citing film distribution officials, reported Wednesday that in Shanghai, China's biggest city, the film earned only $240,000, while theaters showing it in central Hunan province earned barely $30,000. The news agency quoted the officials as saying that the movie did poorly because the Mulan character looked and behaved differently from the classic figure with which the Chinese are familiar. One movie patron quoted in the dispatch faulted the character's "complexion, disposition and manner of behavior." Western reporters reporting from Beijing observed that pirated video and tapes and discs of the movie had been widely available in China for six months prior to the film's theatrical release.
Not sure if that's what happened, but when Mulan came out I do remember hearing my relatives (who live in China) complain to my Mom about how Mulan was "too Westernized."
chrisrose
Limited Issue

Post by chrisrose »

awallaceunc wrote:I honestly think this who princess merchandising frenzy is to blame for the death of the Disney Stores! It may be successful in and of itself, but you can't simply ignore all demographics except elementary-aged girls. And that's exactly who these DVDs are churned out for, so they hold no value for me. Definitely a non-purchase for me. Not even a rental.

-Aaron

AMEN to that! Another reason the Princess crap makes me puke.

Mermaid Kelly wrote:The "sexy six" princesseses are the ones that have been major-marketed in "princess merchandise".

Okay, I just have to say... what is up with the cutesy flirtatious looks on all of their faces?! Every single one of them is tilting her head down and looking up coyly... with an air of "aw shucks, do you really think I'm pwetty?" attitude about them. It's making me sick. Can't princesses be strong, brave and regal (like princes/kings)? I seem to recall Belle, Ariel and Jasmine at least had strong-willed and courageous personalities.

But I guess they (and all the young girls this is aimed at) should be nothing but helpless, dainty, ornamental little flirts. :roll:

Just you watch... when Mulan becomes a princess, it won't be a warrior princess! She'll become the very feminine girly-girl she couldn't be and didn't want to be in the original movie.
"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." -- Walt Disney
mvealf
Gold Classic Collection

Post by mvealf »

Joe Carioca wrote:Well, Pocahontas is not black, but she is not white either. :)
Nor was she a princess. She was a short heavy Eskimo woman that looked nothing like the long legged runway model that Disney has drawn. Political correctness has turned into political fantasy.
Prince Adam
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Adam »

Leonia wrote:

-Aaron
18 March 1999

Disney's Mulan has turned out to be an embarrassing flop for Disney in China. The official Xinhua news agency, citing film distribution officials, reported Wednesday that in Shanghai, China's biggest city, the film earned only $240,000, while theaters showing it in central Hunan province earned barely $30,000. The news agency quoted the officials as saying that the movie did poorly because the Mulan character looked and behaved differently from the classic figure with which the Chinese are familiar. One movie patron quoted in the dispatch faulted the character's "complexion, disposition and manner of behavior." Western reporters reporting from Beijing observed that pirated video and tapes and discs of the movie had been widely available in China for six months prior to the film's theatrical release.
Not sure if that's what happened, but when Mulan came out I do remember hearing my relatives (who live in China) complain to my Mom about how Mulan was "too Westernized."
Well, that's probably because it was made by "Westerners".
Defy Gravity...
Joe Carioca
Collector's Edition

Post by Joe Carioca »

mvealf wrote:
Joe Carioca wrote:Well, Pocahontas is not black, but she is not white either. :)
Nor was she a princess. She was a short heavy Eskimo woman that looked nothing like the long legged runway model that Disney has drawn. Political correctness has turned into political fantasy.
Well, that was the real Pocahontas... The Disney Pocahontas is supposed to be a (real) princess, since she is the only daughter of Chief Powhatan.
Prince Eric
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Eric »

I don't where you got your information that the real Pocahontas was an Eskimo, because she wasn't. She was nowhere even near that region of the United States. She was indeed, part of the Powahton tribe, and she was a princess, says so my dictionary and encyclopedia. :wink:
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Leona, thanks. This doesn't surprise me. When I watch Mulan, I always think of how rebellious against traditional Chinese culture the film's attitude is.

Oh, and in regards to what Chris said:

Image Image

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Twitter - @aaronspod
mvealf
Gold Classic Collection

Post by mvealf »

Prince Eric wrote:I don't where you got your information that the real Pocahontas was an Eskimo, because she wasn't. She was nowhere even near that region of the United States. She was indeed, part of the Powahton tribe, and she was a princess, says so my dictionary and encyclopedia. :wink:
Sorry, I didn't mean to say Eskimo, I meant to say Indian. But my point is that in reality, Pocahontas was short and heavy with a round face, and looked absolutely nothing like the Disney version. It's a shame that Disney thinks that women in starring roles must be changed to look like Hollywood's version of beautiful, tall and skinny.
Mermaid Kelly
Anniversary Edition

Post by Mermaid Kelly »

mvealf wrote:
Prince Eric wrote:It's a shame that Disney thinks that women in starring roles must be changed to look like Hollywood's version of beautiful, tall and skinny.
Yea I agree, for I am no "stick" myself. I liked the look of Nani from Lilo and Stitch. She had more of the look of an average lady. Actually though, the look of the past Disney women isn't a bad look at all, they just have very skinny waists! :lol:
Image Image
Kram Nebuer
Anniversary Edition

Post by Kram Nebuer »

Leonia wrote:

-Aaron
18 March 1999

I read somewhere else that a Chinese viewer claimed that Disney needed to research more carefully because some of the buildings looked more Japanese than Chinese.
<a href=http://kramnebuer.dvdaf.com/>My ºoº DVDs </a>
Leonia
Special Edition

Post by Leonia »

Kram Nebuer wrote: I read somewhere else that a Chinese viewer claimed that Disney needed to research more carefully because some of the buildings looked more Japanese than Chinese.
Hm. I'll have to wait and see for the SE to come out and have my sister watch it with me--she's a HUGE anime fan. (One of these days I'm going to ship her to Japan.)

A lot of my friends also commented that Disney needs to get their language straight since "Fa Mulan" makes no sense in either the Cantonese or Mandarin dialect. (It's either "Hwa Mu-lan" for Mandarin or "Fa Muk-lan" in Cantonese).
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

The UK Princess Party DVD has just had the following passed

00:21:57:01 | BELLE'S MAGICAL WORLD - MRS. POTTS' PARTY
00:23:48:02 | DISNEY'S THE LITTLE MERMAID - MESSAGE IN A BOTTLE

Episodes from the TV series.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Kram, that's very interesting. I know that there is a difference between the archictectural styles, though I personally can't distinguish them very well. Does anyone else who is in the know have an opinion on Mulan's buildings. I bet Yuki know! :D

As for the heroine's appearance, I've found that viewers can actually have greater empathy with rounder, 'lovably chunky' protagonists. Lilo is a good example of this. Instead of coming off as sexy, they come off as cute and adorable. That may be advancing one stereotype over another, but it does seem to be the case.

-Aaron
• Twitter - @aaronspod
MisterMalificent

Where's the REAL Princess?

Post by MisterMalificent »

Okay I know this is kinda picky but some of the Princesses from Disney propoganda arent princesses.

Belle is NOT a Princess, shes a cute librarian who befreinds a beast, that doesnt make her a princess.

Cinderella was only a princess by marriage, most of the movie she was a slave for an evil woman.

Alice is not a princess , she was a little girl who fell in a whole.

Tinkerbell is not a princess shes a little fairy.

Mulan ( although I love her to death) is not a princess

The real Princesses are Jasmine, Snow White, Aurora, Ariel, the girl from sword in the stone who remains forgotten.

And if no -princess heroines can be called princesses, what about Ezmerelda, Meg, Nala, Maid Marian, the girl from peter pan, Jane, Sally, Lilo, Kida,
Sully
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Sully »

Well, I can accept Cinderella and Belle as princesses, as they married in (just like Princess Di) as well as Pocahontas who is culturally equivalent to a princess.

Otherwise you're on target, and with Mulan, Alice and Tinkerbell, Disney Princess seems to be more a marketing term than anything based on reality.
Joe Carioca
Collector's Edition

Re: Where's the REAL Princess?

Post by Joe Carioca »

MisterMalificent wrote:The real Princesses are Jasmine, Snow White, Aurora, Ariel, the girl from sword in the stone who remains forgotten.
There is no princess in "The Sword In The Stone". I believe you're talking about Eilonwy from "The Black Cauldron", is that it?