Mickey vs Donald

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Todd_star
Gold Classic Collection

Mickey vs Donald

Post by Todd_star »

I was wondering which of these charecters is more popular in your country? I know that in the Us, Mickey is most famous.
But here in Norway Donald Duck is more popular.
Donald has his weekly magazines and monthly pocket books and many other magazines. Mickey got a monthly magazine.
Jens
Special Edition

Post by Jens »

I'm not sure the general audience here in Belgium feels the same way like I do but Mickey Mouse is surely my favorite. Donald Duck is just too pushy and stubborn and just hard to deal with. Mickey Mouse is calm and smart, he's the best! :D
Palan

Re: Mickey vs Donald

Post by Palan »

I think that Donald is the most popular of the two in a lot of European countries, certainly here in Denmark. Mickey has for me somehow always appeared as filler in the weekly Donald magazines.
And certainly no Mickey comics have ever been as good as the ones with Donald by Carl Barks and Don Rosa.
Mr. Toad
Diamond Edition

Post by Mr. Toad »

As for Canada - likely more for Mickey as being more recognizable.

As for the comics - I think the Donald ones were better because of the great Carl Banks, not because Donald was better.
Cartoon Freak

Mickey vs. Donald

Post by Cartoon Freak »

Hei Todd_star!

Jeg bor også i Norge!! :D

(I'm too from Norway, I just wrote)

I think Donald Duck is a more changeable charachter than Mickey Mouse. He's both funny, temperamental, angry, "mad", inventive, selfish and much much more. It's easier to write a HUMOROUS story about him I think, and the stories is often very varying and different (compared with the Mickey Mouse stories).

In many stories, Mickey Mouse JUST is "the best" who always "win"!

(But I've to impress that Mickey Mouse very often is a good character, and his manner and being now and then would be "put-upon" little wrong... Pat & Carol is one of they who "search for Mickey's mistakes and weaknesses. That's good I think!)

[/b]
Sincere,
Cartoon Freak, 14 (Norway)
Thad Komorowski

Post by Thad Komorowski »

JimmyJackJunior wrote:As for the comics - I think the Donald ones were better because of the great Carl Banks, not because Donald was better.
That's Barks, but I agree... Of course, Gottfredson's Mickey Mouse comic strip in the 1930s are excellent as well.

Barks also worked on the actual Donald Duck shorts (from 1937-1942), which explains why those shorts are more inventive and funny then the ones that followed...

-Thad
Captain Hook
Special Edition

Post by Captain Hook »

I'm partial to Donald, but I'm buying Mickey Mouse in Living Color 2 rather than the Donald collection, frankly because MMLC2 has Mickey's Christmas Carol/Prince and the Pauper/Beanstalk/and the Fantasia segment on it.
Cinderelly
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Cinderelly »

I too am partial to donald. He is just so much funnier and dramatic than Mickey. Mickey is fun-loving and sweet but not as interesting to watch.
Inigo: I do not mean to pry, but you don't by any chance happen to have six fingers on your right hand?
Westley: Do you always begin conversations this way?

Inigo: You seem a decent fellow. I hate to kill you.
Westley: You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die.
Prince Adam
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Adam »

Captain Hook wrote:I'm partial to Donald, but I'm buying Mickey Mouse in Living Color 2 rather than the Donald collection, frankly because MMLC2 has Mickey's Christmas Carol/Prince and the Pauper/Beanstalk/and the Fantasia segment on it.
I'm partial to Mickey, and will be buying his set. I just don't care for many of Donald's shorts, except for maybe "Toy Tinkers"
Defy Gravity...
wwwjim
Gold Classic Collection

Post by wwwjim »

Which one starred in more cartoons? I'd say that's a good measure of popularity right there?
Jim
Disney Fan in Maryland
MickeyMousePal
Signature Collection

Post by MickeyMousePal »

Mickey is more popular then Donald in like part of the whole world.

Mickey is the one who started it all and then Donald followed but, both characters are great to watch.

:P
The Simpsons Season 11 Buy it Now!

Fox Sunday lineup:

8:00 The Simpsons
8:30 King of the Hill
9:00 Family Guy
9:30 American Dad

Living in the 1980's:
quasi72
Gold Classic Collection

Post by quasi72 »

First of all, I adore those two people (they are not just cartoons, they are part of my family, almost): Mickey and Donald.

MICKEY is incredibly adorable and the best friend one could find. He is a role model and his good actions are very inspiring.

HOWEVER, with DONALD, I have a very special relationship: He is not the ideal, as Mickey. He becomes more real, since he has an incredible ability to bring down to earth actual situations, and reacting to them (in my opinion) more realistically than Mickey. My personality is much more like Donald's: COOL GUY, BUT YOU JUST DON'T WANNA MESS WITH HIM, TO TRIGGER HIS "OTHER SIDE".

:brick:
Sanctuary! Please, give me Sanctuary!
Lars Vermundsberget
Collector's Edition

Post by Lars Vermundsberget »

Her er enda en fra Norge!

Another Norwegian here.

The Disney comics were introduced to the Norwegian public in 1948 in a monthly (later weekly) magazine called - not Mickey Mouse, but - Donald Duck & Co. Donald's name is pretty much synonymous with Disney here. There have been various other Disney comics publications including a monthly Mickey Mouse (Mikke Mus), but the DD magazine stays in the top five of the sales statistics for magazines of any category.
DVDFreak
Limited Issue

Post by DVDFreak »

I also believe that Mickey is the more popular of the two. However, I can personally relate better to Donald, so therefore, I like Donald more than Mickey.
Yuki
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Yuki »

Here in Japan, Mickey is much more popular than Donald. I, for one, do not really have a favorite of the two, however. :wink:
Homer: Marge, I'm bored
Marge: Why don't you read something?
Homer: Because I'm trying to reduce my boredom

“Who cares about what's on the disc? I think Disney Guru's concern with the cover artwork is the most important thing.”
~Luke
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

I'm in America, and you're right, Mickey is definitely the more famous one here. Donald is immensely popular, though.

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Prince Adam
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Adam »

Personally, I like Mickey better, and he's more popular. But in the 1940's, Donald was by far the most popular.

But really, could you imagine yourself saying that it was all started by a duck? Donald couldn't have started the company.
Defy Gravity...
Cartoon Freak

Mickey vs. Donald

Post by Cartoon Freak »

Yes, Mickey is (and have always been) the most popular character in the Disney-univers (maybe the most popular in the whole world!...?)!

BUT, in fact I really don't understand it. I mean, Donald is a more exciting character I patently think. And he's more funny and humorous in my opinion. Mickey is a good character, indeed! But I think Donald is better.

Originally the discussion is: Which character is most popular in your country?

In Norway is Donald Duck also most popular. Since december 1948 has Donald Duck & Co been published. First monthly, so little escalation to weekly publishing.

I know that in the most countries, is Mickey Mouse definetely most popular! I think Donald Duck is most popular JUST in Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Finland. (I'm surely wrong...) :)

Mickey Mouse is most popular in the most of the countries.

Why? Oh, I don't know... Mickey Mouse is easy to understand, uncomplicated, and he does his best. It's very difficult to NOT like him I think. That claimed Disney himself! :D

But STILL, I think Donald Duck is a better and more variable character. He has a stronger personality than Mickey... But that's just my opinion...

Any comments? (I hope so!) :D
Sincere,
Todd_star
Gold Classic Collection

Re: Mickey vs. Donald

Post by Todd_star »

Cartoon Freak wrote:Originally the discussion is: Which character is most popular in your country?
Yeah it was orignally that it was all about!
But I don`t mind your opinion on which one you like most.
Mickey is universal and most famous, you can`t think about Disney without thinking about him.
But in mine country Donald is more popular than Mickey.

(Hallo Cartoon Freak)
Cartoon Freak

Post by Cartoon Freak »

I'm sorry, but I don't understand you at all, Todd_star...

My favourite character is Donald Duck becouse I think Mickey NOT is so very universal. He's not so variable and changeable. He can appear little boring sometimes (but I have to add it: he's much "wrong put-upon"... I mean... many Mickey stories is little bad I think...).

It's more frequently I read a VERY good Donald Duck story, than I read a VERY good Mickey Mouse story. Understand? Donald has also a much stronger personality I think. I've impressed it before here... :)

And no, I can't think about Disney without thinking about Mickey Mouse, and I've neither wrote it.

My favourite character is also DONALD DUCK! :)
The reason have I exhibitted before at this thread...

And yes, in our country (us Norwegians) is Donald Duck most popular, but in the most of the other countries is Mickey Mouse most popular, totally in the world: Mickey Mouse is most popular. (In fact I don't understand it, but well well...) :)

Do you understand me, Todd_star? If not, just write it, and I'll answer you and give you my opinion if you don't understand it. :)
Sincere,