Prince Charming's name is Henry?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Prince Charming's name is Henry?

Post by Sotiris »

Disney France revealed in a new TV spot advertising the Blu-ray/DVD release of Cinderella that Prince Charming's name is Henry (or Henri in French). So far, the only other name he's been referred to is Prince Otto August Ferdinand in 1971's Disney on Parade.

The thing is that up until now, his official name in France was Prince Charmant (= Charming), the same as in the U.S.

Last edited by Sotiris on Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Christopher_TCUIH
Special Edition

Post by Christopher_TCUIH »

The secret is finally revealed :o
Kraken Guard
Special Edition

Post by Kraken Guard »

But that still leaves the prince from Snow White!! :P

Unless there is something we don't know about Henry/Charming... :roll:
Mayhem
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Mayhem »

Nothing to say his name isn't Henry Charming now ;)
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Kraken Guard wrote:But that still leaves the prince from Snow White!! :P
Wasn't it said a year or so ago that his name was Ferdinand? Well, whether it's official or not, at least we have something to refer to them as now. The Prince - Ferdinand, Charming - Henri, and Beast - Adam.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
qindarka
Special Edition

Post by qindarka »

Disney's Divinity wrote:
Kraken Guard wrote:But that still leaves the prince from Snow White!! :P
Wasn't it said a year or so ago that his name was Ferdinand? Well, whether it's official or not, at least we have something to refer to them as now. The Prince - Ferdinand, Charming - Henri, and Beast - Adam.
I thought the Ferdinand thing was said to be false.
Kraken Guard
Special Edition

Post by Kraken Guard »

qindarka wrote:I thought the Ferdinand thing was said to be false.
So I've heard, although it still seems to be a fairly popular name among fans(Although maybe not as popular as Grimhilde(for the Queen), although I'm assuming that's more official). Not quite sure what the story is behind the Prince and the name 'Ferdinand'. :P
qindarka
Special Edition

Post by qindarka »

Who cares really? I just call them Prince Plot Device and Prince Plot Device 2.
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

qindarka wrote:Who cares really? I just call them Prince Plot Device and Prince Plot Device 2.
Not as cool as Prince McGuffin and Prince McGuffin the Second :D
ImageImageImageImage

Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney's Divinity wrote:Wasn't it said a year or so ago that his name was Ferdinand? Well, whether it's official or not, at least we have something to refer to them as now.
No, that's Ferdinand the Bull! Dave Smith, the Disney archivist, debunked that rumor.
Q: Is the rumor that Snow White’s prince’s name is Ferdinand true? If not, do you know how the rumor started?

Dave Smith: The rumor is untrue. It may have started way back in 1939 when Shirley Temple presented a special Academy Award to Walt Disney in honor of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. In her speech she called Walt, “…the daddy of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Mickey Mouse, Ferdinand, and all the others…” But that Ferdinand which she was referring to was not the Prince but Ferdinand the Bull, star of a 1938 cartoon of the same name, which also received an Academy Award.
Source: http://d23.disney.go.com/news/2013/05/d ... il-4-2013/

I've found the clip from where this rumor originated. It's pretty clear that Shirley Temple was referring to the short. The only thing official where the name Ferdinand is used is in two videos posted by Disney Latino, one titled Top 10: Primer Beso and the other Top 10: Momentos Románticos, in which they refer to him as "Príncipe Fernando" (= Prince Ferdinand).

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1pZicPj7hs

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diVmqhpIwcM

As for the Evil Queen's name, here's what it says in the FAQ section of the official Disney website.
Q: What is the name of the Prince in "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs"? What is the name of the Queen?

A: The Prince's name is never revealed in the Disney version of the story. He is simply referred to as "The Prince." The Queen is often referred to as "Queen Grimhilde" in Disney publications of the 1930s, but her name was never mentioned in the film. You can find lots more information about all of your favorite Disney characters in our online Disney Archives.
Source: http://disney.go.com/guestservices/faq?id=sno2

She's referred to as Queen Grimhilde in the 1937 comic strip adaptation of the film.

Source: http://filmic-light.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... comic.html

The libretto vocal book of "Descendants: The Musical" from 2020 refers to her as Grimhilde as well.

Source: https://www.mtishows.com/news/read-disn ... ense-today
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

Wow, Prince Henri/Henry? Nice! Henry was also the name of the "real" Prince Charming in the movie "Ever After: A Cinderella Story," based on Henry II of France.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Wow, that's pretty neat to finally know !

Unless it was just some random Disney Dude who plucked a name out of thin air ! :lol:
thelittleursula
Anniversary Edition

Post by thelittleursula »

So Henry had a child and named it Henry Jr and Henry Jr had Henry Jr Jr and then so forth and then eventually within the timeline gave birth to Henry the VIII th ?

So Henry the VIII th's grand grand grand grand grand Grandmother is Cinderella ? :o
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Wonder what Disney Duster will think of this ?! :shock:
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

qindarka wrote:Who cares really? I just call them Prince Plot Device and Prince Plot Device 2.
This.
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I don't know what to think of this.

I'm pretty sure Disney France just chose a name to call him and this isn't what his name really was when Walt Disney and his artists made the film. But my hope is that somehow, they found out it really was his name when it was first made.

If this is what they will officially call him, I will accept it. I would accept Snow White's prince's name as Prince Charming and Cinderella's prince's name as Henry, though I also accepted when Snow white's prince was The Prince and Cinderella's was Prince Charming.

I just wish we had more information on this. Do we need to see what the future holds? Disney's new Fantasyland update still has Prince Charming's Regla Carousel, not Prince Henry's Regal Carousel.
Kraken Guard
Special Edition

Post by Kraken Guard »

Disney Duster wrote:I don't know what to think of this.

I'm pretty sure Disney France just chose a name to call him and this isn't what his name really was when Walt Disney and his artists made the film. But my hope is that somehow, they found out it really was his name when it was first made.

If this is what they will officially call him, I will accept it. I would accept Snow White's prince's name as Prince Charming and Cinderella's prince's name as Henry, though I also accepted when Snow white's prince was The Prince and Cinderella's was Prince Charming.

I just wish we had more information on this. Do we need to see what the future holds? Disney's new Fantasyland update still has Prince Charming's Regla Carousel, not Prince Henry's Regal Carousel.

That IS kinda my assumption about the whole name. Still... :roll:

It'll be one of those 'All there in the Manual'... Things. :roll: :D
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Well, I guess this could give vague reference to Once Upon a Time's Henry, but then again that's probably just coincidence
Kraken Guard
Special Edition

Post by Kraken Guard »

ajmrowland wrote:Well, I guess this could give vague reference to Once Upon a Time's Henry, but then again that's probably just coincidence
... Or, is it fate?! :roll: :P :D
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Kraken Guard wrote:That IS kinda my assumption about the whole name. Still... :roll:

It'll be one of those 'All there in the Manual'... Things. :roll: :D
What do you mean "all there in the manual"?