DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Do you think Pinocchio should be made into a Broadway musical?
Yes 32%  32%  [ 9 ]
No 68%  68%  [ 19 ]
Total votes : 28
Author Message
 Post subject: Pinocchio on Stage
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:11 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:28 am
Posts: 2790
Location: Any Disney park you choose
I think that given the songs and the theme, I feel that it's high time that Pinocchio should get made into a Broadway musical. What do you think? :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:17 pm 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:52 pm
Posts: 1685
Location: United Kingdom
If Tarzan can be made into a musical anything can, but if they did Pinocchio, I hope they would use a puppet then a boy at the end


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:22 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:47 am
Posts: 4635
Location: UK
I'd be okay if they give it some time (perhaps three or four years), as I don't want Disney to get into the mode of shoving a stage play of every single film in their catalogue out every six months like they seem to be possibly falling into now (if they keep on following this path, in three years time prepare for stage musicals of The Black Cauldron and the True Life Adventure series). However, it may interest you that Lion King-on-stage director Julie Taymor is (or at least was) interested in adapting Pinocchio into a musical. The below quote is from a Jim Hill Media article from November 2003 and describes the situation:

Drew Hackney @ Jim Hill Media wrote:
Pinocchio
Remember that horrendous "Geppetto" musical on ABC starring Drew Carey? You know, the one starring the overbearing comedian who was under the horribly wrong impression that he was a singer? At the time of the movie's premiere, Julie Taymor started blabbing about directing and designing a stage version of "Pinocchio" for Disney, following on the heels of her "Lion King" success. La Taymor mentioned blending Disney's story with some of the darker elements found in Collodi's original tale, and possibly even using some songs and plot points from "Geppetto." Chances are that last idea was canned. At any rate, this show is far, far off, but still a very likely possibility.

http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/drew_hack ... /1443.aspx

_________________
-Joe

Blog | Deviantart


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:35 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure

Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:40 pm
Posts: 2377
Location: The Land of Lincoln
I'm not sure the a on-stage version of Pinocchio would be the greatest thing. I, for one, would much rather see a few other films be adopted into Broadway shows before this one. Films like Pocahontas, Hercules, Hunchback, and Aladdin. I just don't think taking a film who's creators have passed away and adding new stuff to it. It'd be easy to add more to those four movies because most of their creators can still add artistic choices to it, as well as approve the final story. I think disney should stay away from the older classics IMO. If people wouldn't want a sequel to Pinocchio, why would they want changes to the original story?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:37 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition

Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:44 am
Posts: 6166
Location: Michigan
Making Pinocchio into a broadway musical is not such a good idea. it worked for the Lion King because of the culture of it involving Africa.

_________________
My Blu-Ray Collection


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:49 pm 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2003 6:12 pm
Posts: 1267
Location: kuala lumpur, malaysia
i'd rather see a pocahontas musical and hunchback being translated into english.it's good greater and more original music than the beauty and the beast musical does.

_________________
do you still wait for me Dream Giver?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:14 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:38 am
Posts: 2262
Location: The Gator Nation!
In my humble opinion, NO, I don't really think that Pinocchio should be made into a Broadway musical. First of all I don't think it has the strongest story, second of all I think there are many other Disney films that should and/or could be made into a Broadway musical before Pinocchio. Just my opinion though...

_________________
Image
Signature courtesy of blackcauldron85!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:32 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:28 am
Posts: 2790
Location: Any Disney park you choose
singerguy04 wrote:
I'm not sure the a on-stage version of Pinocchio would be the greatest thing. I, for one, would much rather see a few other films be adopted into Broadway shows before this one. Films like Pocahontas, Hercules, Hunchback, and Aladdin. I just don't think taking a film who's creators have passed away and adding new stuff to it. It'd be easy to add more to those four movies because most of their creators can still add artistic choices to it, as well as approve the final story. I think disney should stay away from the older classics IMO. If people wouldn't want a sequel to Pinocchio, why would they want changes to the original story?


It was just an idea, for Pete's sake; no need to get so defensive about it. I just thought that it would be good as a musical. Besides, I don't think there is a comparison between B-way musicals and sequels.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:40 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:38 am
Posts: 2262
Location: The Gator Nation!
Big Disney Fan wrote:
singerguy04 wrote:
I'm not sure the a on-stage version of Pinocchio would be the greatest thing. I, for one, would much rather see a few other films be adopted into Broadway shows before this one. Films like Pocahontas, Hercules, Hunchback, and Aladdin. I just don't think taking a film who's creators have passed away and adding new stuff to it. It'd be easy to add more to those four movies because most of their creators can still add artistic choices to it, as well as approve the final story. I think disney should stay away from the older classics IMO. If people wouldn't want a sequel to Pinocchio, why would they want changes to the original story?


It was just an idea, for Pete's sake; no need to get so defensive about it. I just thought that it would be good as a musical. Besides, I don't think there is a comparison between B-way musicals and sequels.


Well... you did ask the people here "What do you think?"
People are simply responding with their thoughts on the matter.
No harm, no foul.

_________________
Image
Signature courtesy of blackcauldron85!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:50 pm 
Offline
Special Edition
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:06 pm
Posts: 333
Location: Texas
No... definately not. I think it's perfect where it is right now as an animation legend.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:15 am 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:02 pm
Posts: 12443
Location: Somewhere in Time and Space
singerguy04 wrote:
I just don't think taking a film who's creators have passed away and adding new stuff to it. It'd be easy to add more to those four movies because most of their creators can still add artistic choices to it, as well as approve the final story.

Bill Shakespeare didn't seem to mind when they decided to turn Romeo & Juliet into West Side Story.

Jane Austen had no complaints when Emma was adapted into Clueless.

Or more recently...

Ian Fleming seems to have no problems with rebooting the James Bond series with "Casino Royale" (2006).

Escapay

_________________
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:52 am 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure

Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:40 pm
Posts: 2377
Location: The Land of Lincoln
maybe it's just me, but when someone says "i just don't think" or "IMO" that it would imply not a wrong or right answer. you asked, i delivered. I'm also sorry if i came off as defensive or something, becuase thats not at all what i was trying to do.

Escapay, i can kind of see your point, but not really. I know it's been done before, Disney's done it with EVERY film they've animated basically. I just think that it'd be wiser to do more recent films. Actually, if i had my way i'd stop the whole Disney Classics on Broadway after The Little Mermaid. It'd be good to see them make original ideas for it, sorta like Aida.

I hope i was slightly more clear in this post. :P


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:57 am 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:29 am
Posts: 4673
Location: The place where they didn't build EuroDisney
I said no, because I just don't think that Pinocchio in its current form would work as a brodway musical. For it to work, drastic changes would be needed. Firstly the originaly is not a musical, but rather a film with songs so a larger, score with more songs would be needed. But by making such changes would make the film far removed from the original which then begs the question, why bother? If you're having to create songs and a score for an existing movie > stage production, why not just create a new musical? Quite frankly the other reason I said no is that I don't see what the obsession with translating every film to stage is and quite frankly if Disney is serious about upping it's stage content I wish they would concentrate on new original productions. They showed it could be done with "Aida", which admittedly was probably not the smash they would've wanted it was certainly a step on the ladder!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:55 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:28 am
Posts: 2790
Location: Any Disney park you choose
ichabod wrote:
I said no, because I just don't think that Pinocchio in its current form would work as a brodway musical. For it to work, drastic changes would be needed. Firstly the originaly is not a musical, but rather a film with songs so a larger, score with more songs would be needed. But by making such changes would make the film far removed from the original which then begs the question, why bother? If you're having to create songs and a score for an existing movie > stage production, why not just create a new musical? Quite frankly the other reason I said no is that I don't see what the obsession with translating every film to stage is and quite frankly if Disney is serious about upping it's stage content I wish they would concentrate on new original productions. They showed it could be done with "Aida", which admittedly was probably not the smash they would've wanted it was certainly a step on the ladder!


Alright already! It was just an idea, for heaven's sake! I'm sorry if I offended everyone! I feel sad that I hurt some feelings here. :( :cry:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:04 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:29 am
Posts: 4673
Location: The place where they didn't build EuroDisney
No one's feeling are hurt by this topic, but you did start a thread with a Yes / No question, so don't be surprised if some people vote 'No'.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:32 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2003 3:30 pm
Posts: 2950
Location: Walt Disney World
I voted no because I think "Pinocchio" is too much of an adventure story to be pulled off successfully on a stage. Films like "The Lion King" and "Beauty and the Beast" with more less sets and more music work well. In BATB, you need a castle, which they used well throughout the majority of the show, you have a woods which is achieved by lighting and a few trees, and you have Bell's house and town. In TLK, you have pride rock, the elephant's graveyard, and the African savana which is mostly pulled off through backdrops and lighting. "Pinocchio," however, needs a woodshop, a town, Strombolli's stage, Pleasure Island, and an ocean, and that is only including elements from the movie without taking into considderation what they might add from the book. Also, TLK and BATB have some pretty huge showstopping songs. "Pinocchio" has the classic "When You Wish Upon A Star" and the rest of the songs are good and catchy, but they are no "Circle of Life" or "Beauty and the Beast." I also don't know how keane I am about films made during Walt's time being turned into Broadway shows. I think that both "Peter Pan" and "Cinderella" should never be turned into stage shows because both have successful Broadway shows. In my opinion, the only Disney animated films the should be reincarnated as Broadway shows are "Aladdin," "The Hunchback of Notre Dame," and possibly "Pocahontas" because it is more adult themed and they even talk on the DVD about how the film always played more like a Broadway show. I didn't include "The Little Mermaid" because it is in the works and I'm a little skeptical about how they are going to be able to pull off the under water scenes, but I was skeptical of TLK and that was amazing! I haven't seen "Tarzan" or "Mary Poppins" yet, but I hear bad things about "Tarzan" from most people who've seen it and great things about MP, but that should have been on Broadway years ago.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:33 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:06 am
Posts: 11009
Pinocchio is becoming a stage musical!

Quote:
The puppet with the nose that grows every time he tells a fib is coming to the National Theatre. The powerhouse on the South Bank and Disney Theatricals have informally finalised a deal to develop a stage musical called — surprise, surprise — Pinocchio, that will be directed by John Tiffany and written by Enda Walsh. The show will combine elements from the classic 1940 Disney animated movie and the fantasy’s original source, The Adventures Of Pinocchio, which author Carlo Collidi serialised from 1881 for two years.

I can reveal that if a workshop later this year is successful, Pinocchio will be given the green light and premiere at the National in time for Christmas 2016. A spokeswoman for the theatre confirmed yesterday that talks between Disney and the NT regarding the musical are ‘ongoing’. The idea is that great songs such as When You Wish Upon A Star, Give A Little Whistle, Hi-Diddle-Dee-Dee (An Actor’s Life For Me), Little Wooden Head and I’ve Got No Strings, would feature in the stage version. But other songs written for the film and never used, as well as pieces penned during that period from the Disney catalogue, are also being made available to the show’s creative team.

NT artistic director Rufus Norris led the National’s team, while Disney executives were under the command of Disney Theatricals president Thomas Schumacher. Discussions have been going on behind the scenes since last year. Indeed, long before the National became involved, director Tiffany told Disney’s Schumacher that he wanted to have a go at bringing Pinocchio, the marionette carved from enchanted wood who wants to be a real boy, to the stage. Disney funded a small private workshop which allowed Tiffany to test out some of his ideas with four songs. Tiffany has already assembled his Pinocchio team, which will include designer Bob Crowley and choreographer and movement director Steven Hoggett.

Although Disney controls all rights to the 1940 classic, they are putting the artistic authority in the National’s hands, which means Pinocchio will be staged at the National without the Disney ‘possessory title’ (so no ‘Disney’s Pinocchio’ on the South Bank). ‘The aim is for the National to create a show that plays great at the National. That’s the only goal,’ a source close to the contractual talks told me. At present, there’s no deal for Disney to produce the show elsewhere, though I’m sure they will, once the National has had a couple of Christmas seasons with the magical marionette.
Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... stage.html

_________________
ImageImageImageImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:33 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:46 am
Posts: 3650
Location: Maryland, USA
National Theatre brings Pinocchio back to life on stage

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... life-stage


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:46 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:53 pm
Posts: 3345
Sotiris wrote:
Quote:
The puppet with the nose that grows every time he tells a fib is coming to the National Theatre. The powerhouse on the South Bank and Disney Theatricals have informally finalised a deal to develop a stage musical called — surprise, surprise — Pinocchio, that will be directed by John Tiffany and written by Enda Walsh. The show will combine elements from the classic 1940 Disney animated movie and the fantasy’s original source, The Adventures Of Pinocchio, which author Carlo Collidi serialised from 1881 for two years.

...


If that's the case, why do I get the sudden feeling it's going to be close to being musical!Hunchback level dark? The Disney and original Collidi versions of Pinocchio are pretty dark on their own merits. Imagine how much more terrifyingly dark the musical may become... :huh:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:10 am 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:02 am
Posts: 8840
Location: America
Well I hope this turns out good.

singerguy04 wrote:
If people wouldn't want a sequel to Pinocchio, why would they want changes to the original story?

You can think of the movie version of something and the stage show version of something as two different things, because you're not changing the original movie version, that already exists on it's own, the stage show is something different.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bruno_wbt, Google [Bot] and 21 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group