A few questions regarding some Disney soundtrack albums.

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Guitarman

A few questions regarding some Disney soundtrack albums.

Post by Guitarman »

Hello-

As the subject heading says, I have a few questions regarding some Disney soundtrack albums.

1.I have several Disney soundtrack albums and I am wondering if they are complete, or if there is any music missing from them. The first ones are “Snow White”, “Bambi”, “Dumbo”, “Peter Pan”, “Alice In Wonderland” and “101 Dalmatians”. These are all in the Classic Soundtrack Series.

Next up are the original soundtrack albums to “Oliver and Company” and “The Great Mouse Detective”.

2. Does anybody know whether or not titles in the Classic Soundtrack Series are complete or if they're missing music? How about The Legacy Collection?

Thank you.
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Re: A few questions regarding some Disney soundtrack albums.

Post by rodrigo_ca »

Your post totally send me through a rabbit hole. I'm looking for all your answers, but it may take a while. I promise I'll do my best to enlighten the current situation of every single title you asked.

Here's what I have so far for Snow White:

None of the releases contain the full score, since parts of the original master tapes were lost to time. The most known current versions of the soundtrack are all based on the 1993 release, which contains 24 tracks plus two bonus tracks. If the movie were to receive a totally complete, a lot of tracks would have to include sound effects and even voices at times, and this was the reason they were deemed unfit for release. In 1997, on the release of the Classic Soundtrack Series, 7 seconds of "Love's First Kiss" were recovered and that's about it.

Pinocchio:

Research inconclusive as of yet. All I know is that none of the soundtrack releases include "Little Wooden Head" as heard on the movie. It is assumed the vocal masters are long lost, and for this reason, this song is heard as an instrumental track.

(After I edited my post, I realized you didn't ask about Pinocchio. I don't know if I just got caught up with following the order of the release of the movies or I got confused with the Legacy Collection. Why didn't I delete it then? Because then I'd have no opportunity to show this: a radio play with the original cast of the movie. I guess it must have been common to perform movies on the radio in a time when movies weren't always available, but the funny thing is: this was performed months before the release of the movie! Can you imagine?)
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

Oliver & Co soundtrack definitely does not have all the music from the film. Im not a music expert and Im not really sure about the score itself, but it is missing the reprise to Why Should I Worry, which Ive always hated b/c the whole cast (minus Midler)sings along! also right when the credits hit there's a piece of music with a female corus that is also not in the soundtrack album. Im sure there's other stuff missing, really wish Intrada would release a full score version of the film including deleted songs( I read somewhere that Herbie Hancock was supposed to have made a song for the film that wasn't used.)
rb_canadian181
Gold Classic Collection

Post by rb_canadian181 »

rodrigo_ca wrote:In 1997, on the release of the Classic Soundtrack Series, 7 seconds of "Love's First Kiss" were recovered and that's about it.
Is this complete version on YouTube to compare with the other soundtrack release? I've mostly been listening to the 2001 album which was released to coincide with the DVD.
rb_canadian181
Gold Classic Collection

Post by rb_canadian181 »

Guitarman wrote:How about The Legacy Collection?
The Legacy Collection soundtracks have been fantastic because as far as I know, each one features a complete score from start to finish, and then some supplementary material.

The only way to potentially sway Disney to continue release Legacy Collection soundtracks is to buy them or stream them legally (Apple Music, Spotify etc). because quite frankly, the releases take a lot of time and budget to prepare and re-master and they will only continue to do so if it's profitable :) A lot of people felt as though the release of Beauty and the Beast as part of this collection would 'boost' sales due to popularity so hopefully that's the case and they'll continue!
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

rodrigo_ca wrote:All I know is that none of the soundtrack releases include "Little Wooden Head" as heard on the movie. It is assumed the vocal masters are long lost, and for this reason, this song is heard as an instrumental track.
So that's why the song isn't included in the soundtrack. I always thought it was strange that it only featured an instrumental version and not the real song. Why didn't they use the actual film as a source in this case? I guess the sound wouldn't be as good as the one from the master, but I think that's better than leaving the song out of the CD.
rodrigo_ca wrote:(After I edited my post, I realized you didn't ask about Pinocchio. I don't know if I just got caught up with following the order of the release of the movies or I got confused with the Legacy Collection. Why didn't I delete it then? Because then I'd have no opportunity to show this: a radio play with the original cast of the movie. I guess it must have been common to perform movies on the radio in a time when movies weren't always available, but the funny thing is: this was performed months before the release of the movie! Can you imagine?)
Really interesting! I didn't know they made these radio plays. Thanks for sharing!