DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:24 am 
Platinum Edition

This is nothing more than a far-fetched theory. Disney doesn't have a problem with mixing their IP as evident by Kingdom Hearts, Descendants, Wreck-It Ralph 2, the shelved Magic Kingdom etc. but not in the way of a shared cinematic universe.

Are The Disney Live Action Fairy Tale Films Building To A Shared Cinematic Universe?
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/disney/a ... se-a157390

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:38 pm 
Collector's Edition

I really hope not. And besides, we already have something like that albeit not in film form.

It's called Kingdom Hearts.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:44 pm 
Platinum Edition

I doubt it. I mean, what purpose would they have for it? It's not like they can put out movies with characters from the different re-makes like Belle v. Cinderella: Dawn of Jealousy, Princesses: Age of Glitter, or Villain Squad (although I'd kill to see that last one).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:56 pm 
Limited Edition

Isn't there some sort of princess superhero team-up film in the works, in the vein of the Avengers? I don't think it was Disney's project, but it was posted here and people assumed Disney would jump on the bandwagon.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:44 pm 
Platinum Edition

I wonder if Ralph Breaks The Internet is the first foray into seeing the girls together, and audiences reaction to it ?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:53 am 
Platinum Edition

If you could lump together Disney's live-action fairytale/fantasy movies which would you include and why?

I'd include remakes/reimaginings of animated films and live-action fairy tale adaptations produced by Walt Disney Pictures in the 2010s and onwards. Because there are dozens of projects in various stages of development, I'm only counting already-released and upcoming films that have been given a release date by Disney.

Here's my list:

The Sorcerer's Apprentice
Dumbo
Cinderella
Alice in Wonderland
Alice Through the Looking Glass
Maleficent
Mary Poppins Returns
The Jungle Book
Christopher Robin
Pete's Dragon
Beauty and the Beast
Aladdin
The Lion King
Mulan
Oz: The Great and Powerful
The Nutcracker and the Four Realms
Into the Woods

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:40 am 
Special Edition

This could be epic if well done but it's obviously not planned and this is just what happens when websites don't have a lot to report. To be fair, I'd rather see a live action Kingdom Hearts.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:32 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Sotiris wrote:
If you could lump together Disney's live-action fairytale/fantasy movies which would you include and why?

I'd include remakes/reimaginings of animated films and live-action fairy tale adaptations made after 2009. I wouldn't include sequels/prequels to older films like Mary Poppins Returns or Cruella. Because there are dozens of projects in various stages of development, I'm only counting already-released and upcoming films that have been given a release date by Disney. Here's my list:

The Sorcerer's Apprentice
Dumbo
Cinderella
Alice in Wonderland
Alice Through the Looking Glass
Maleficent
The Jungle Book
Christopher Robin
Pete's Dragon
Beauty and the Beast
Aladdin
The Lion King
Oz: The Great and Powerful
The Nutcracker and the Four Realms
Into the Woods

Mary Poppins Returns

I'd include all the ones that are essentially remakes/reboots/belated sequels of older Disney animated films (or live-action films with animated segments) or that have strong links to them. I'd add Mary Poppins Returns for that reason. Alice in Wonderland ultimately has very little to do with the original animated version aside from maybe a few references here and there, but Disney have sort of marketed it as a remake, and the same goes for The Sorcerer's Apprentice and its connections to Fantasia.

I wouldn't include Into the Woods as that's an adaptation of a Broadway musical (despite the constituent fairy tales all having been adapted into animated Disney films in some form or another at some point), and although Tchaikovsky's "Nutcracker Suite" was used in Fantasia, it was used pretty much out of context of both the original ballet scenario or the original story, so I'd exclude The Nutcracker and the Four Realms. And despite thematically being very similar to a lot of the films in that list, I wouldn't include Oz: The Great and Powerful.

As for a shared cinematic universe, I don't think they're aiming for that. It makes sense for Marvel since the original comic books regularly have characters in one series interacting with characters in other comic series, but it seems to be more of a novelty as regards Disney and only in certain contexts (mostly in merchandise or where the story requires it a la Wreck-it-Ralph 2 or Who Framed Roger Rabbit).

Blog | Deviantart

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:41 pm 
Platinum Edition

JeanGreyForever wrote:
Isn't there some sort of princess superhero team-up film in the works, in the vein of the Avengers? I don't think it was Disney's project, but it was posted here and people assumed Disney would jump on the bandwagon.

That project, tentatively called Princesses, was shopped around but Sony was the one who ended up buying it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:33 pm 
Limited Edition

Sotiris wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:

That project, tentatively called Princesses, was shopped around but Sony was the one ending up buying it.

I'm glad Disney stayed away from that. It sounded even worse than that CGI Prince Charming film.