Masterpiece Collection
Gold Classic Collection
Signature Collection
Special Edition
Anniversary Edition
Collector's Edition
Platinum Edition
Diamond Edition

So, what comes next? What do you think the name of their next wave of premium titles will be after Signature finishes its run?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:18 pm 
Limited Edition

I personally feel like Disney will quickly and quietly finish out the rest of the Signature Collection and abandon physical releases. They've already upped the releases from two to three a year. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if Disney kept these Signature films in print and just called it a day. We are approaching the release of the fifth and sixth films in the line and still no word on moratorium for Snow White, which should be out of print by now given its track record. With the streaming service coming next year I'm sure they'll want to really push that - as if they haven't already made it painfully clear that they couldn't care less about physical media.

The Platinum Edition releases were a huge deal because it was the first time a lot of the films made their disc debut, with all-new restorations and TONS of bonus features, Platinum releases were an event.

The Diamond line came along and it was great to see all these beloved films make their Blu-Ray debut, but it felt like less of an event because seemingly less effort was put into the releases by the time the last few films came along.

Now that we're getting the films as part of the Signature Collection, it's sort of a "what's-the-point" kind of feeling. The fans already have the Blu-Ray releases, and aside from the inclusion of the digital copy of the films, there's really no incentive to buy them, unless you missed out on the previous releases before they were Vaulted. Disney has used the exact same film transfers as they did on the films' Diamond counterpart, and they've essentially stripped the discs of any worthwhile bonus features. What selling point do they have for future re-releases of these films? I doubt we'll get another line after this, unless they release them on 4K UHD disc, but that seems unlikely.

It's a shame, Disney could have really redeemed themselves by going out with a bang and putting out Criterion-esque releases of the films for their fans, with all bonus features included and all versions of each film (where applicable), but they chose to go the other way.

UDer #3495 :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:27 pm 
Platinum Edition

I’d like Crystal Collection or something, where they have really nice cases (maybe clear/translucent, or something like the cover for Desperate Housewives’ first 4 seasons on DVD if anyone knows what I’m talking about).

But I know that’s not going to happen. Disney does not care about packaging, bonus features, etc. anymore and haven't since a third of the way through the Diamond line. They just shove the movies out there and rake in the dough. Which is why I skip 90% of their releases and re-releases.

--I wrote the above before reading DisneyFreak's post. I think DF's guess that they'll abandon physical releases altogether after the Signature Collection is very likely.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:40 am 
Platinum Edition

Sotiris wrote:
So, what comes next?

If I had my druthers, they'd licence to Criterion Collection so we'd get a more serious treatment of the films and their historical/cultural impact. But I know that won't happen.

Like Cubby and Divinity, I honestly feel this will be the last wave of these films on physical media, at least on such a large, mainstream level. 4K is the next step on the physical media front, but is much more niche than Blu-Ray was to DVD, so I could see the next collection as 4K re-issues, which would necessitate new transfers. But it wouldn't be on the same scale of marketing and availability as Blu-Ray and DVD were. For all we know, it could go the boutique studio route and issued in limited runs of 3,000 per title. That's what Twilight Time has done for seven years now, and what Olive Signature and Arrow Academy have started doing in the last year. At least Shout/Scream Factory does two different printings: a limited edition that usually has some physical collectible, and a regular release that has open-ended availability. And Disney is no stranger to the limited print run, as evident by their Walt Disney Treasures of yore.

But given how dedicated Disney is towards digital now (DisneyMoviesAnywhere merging with other studios for MoviesAnywhere, offering their films digitally two-to-three weeks before the physical release, soon owning a majority stake in Hulu in addition to creating their own streaming platform), the age of physical media as the dominant form of home entertainment is clearly coming to an end.

Albert

WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:38 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

I wish we would get a BD version of the Legacy Collection for all the films in the canon and hybrid features, with all of the bonus content released on different media formats throughout the years -- documentaries, deleted scenes, trailers, galleries, music videos, even DTV sequels (I would not have them advertised on the front cover though) -- and with beautiful, consistent cover art. But alas, it's only a silly pipe dream...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:28 pm 
Limited Edition

Mooky wrote:
I wish we would get a BD version of the Legacy Collection for all the films in the canon and hybrid features, with all of the bonus content released on different media formats throughout the years -- documentaries, deleted scenes, trailers, galleries, music videos, even DTV sequels (I would not have them advertised on the front cover though) -- and with beautiful, consistent cover art. But alas, it's only a silly pipe dream...

You had me until the DTV sequels lol. They could be hidden easter eggs though that only the ones who care can access. It's too bad that either this or a Criterion line of Disney films will likely never happen.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:40 am 
Platinum Edition

I'm expecting something like Legacy Collection to match with the CDs or Deluxe Edition.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:27 pm 
Limited Edition

Mooky wrote:

That certainly would be ideal. They definitely have enough space on one Blu-Ray disc to add more in terms of bonuses, so I think they would definitely be able to fit everything on at least two Blu-Ray discs. Of course, this would vary by film. I'd also like to see the films packaged with their sequels - I think a big reason why I haven't purchased many of the sequels' Blu-Ray re-releases is because some of those films are not worth the $20+, so to see them packaged with their original films would be great. I think $25-$30 for both films in one combo pack would be way more reasonable.

I've always loved most of Disney's VHS cover art, my favorite being the Black Diamond Classics releases. I'd love a Shout! Factory type of release with the interchanging cover art. It's a shame these films will never get the releases they deserve, but at least they're all on disc.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:43 am 
Platinum Edition

Crystal Collection would be cool, with that crystal packaging, but I love the Legacy Collection idea so much! I had thought they should do the Legacy Collection, but with the films and not just the soundtracks, before, but I love the whole idea Mooky said.

An idea that I have that I would love would be The Artist's Collection: all the top selling hand drawn Animated Classics with restorations that never changed any colors or lost any detail , and it had all the art they could fit in galleries, including promotional art, and had all the trailers, and had comprehensive, over and hour-long making of's with all the information and interviews they've ever had from past making of's, and had pencil animation tests of key or famous scenes from the movie, and the cover and disc art was drawn by good Disney artists, and they came with lithographs of the most famous or important moments from the film.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:14 am 
Limited Edition

I keep hoping that maybe Disney will release their remaining animated classics on 4K Ultra HD in the Walt Disney Signature Collection, but I don't see it happening anytime soon. When they announced the HD debut of Sleeping Beauty in 2008, they made a super big deal about it. Imagine just how good it would look in 4K.

But I agree with anyone who said that Digital HD will most likely take over, and that these physical releases will become a vanishing breed.

If you're a fan of Disney animation, like my Facebook fanpage

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:38 pm 
Limited Edition

Sicoe Vlad wrote:
I keep hoping that maybe Disney will release their remaining animated classics on 4K Ultra HD in the Walt Disney Signature Collection, but I don't see it happening anytime soon. When they announced the HD debut of Sleeping Beauty in 2008, they made a super big deal about it. Imagine just how good it would look in 4K.

But I agree with anyone who said that Digital HD will most likely take over, and that these physical releases will become a vanishing breed.

The films would look amazing in 4K. I think (and am hoping) that we will get to see them debut in 4K when Disney launches their streaming service.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:30 pm 
Limited Edition

DisneyFreak5282 wrote:
Sicoe Vlad wrote:

The films would look amazing in 4K. I think (and am hoping) that we will get to see them debut in 4K when Disney launches their streaming service.

Do you think that the 4K versions will be exclusive to the streaming service? Or that Disney will release them as physical releases in order to distinguish them from the films on the streaming service?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:38 pm 
Limited Edition

JeanGreyForever wrote:
Do you think that the 4K versions will be exclusive to the streaming service? Or that Disney will release them as physical releases in order to distinguish them from the films on the streaming service?

Considering how little we know about the streaming service, it's anyone's guess.

Given the way that Disney has (mis)treated their home media releases these past few years, I really wouldn't be surprised to see them exclusively available in 4K on their streaming service. Aside from (obviously) being in 4K, what other incentive would buyers have to purchase the films again on disc? I know we'd all like to see a definitive release of these films on disc, with every bonus feature previously available, all versions of the films, etc., but realistically it probably won't happen.

Despite being a relatively new format, I really can't see many people making the upgrade to 4K UHD in terms of buying movies on disc. The casual Disney fan already has their favorite movie(s) on disc - given the opportunity to buy these films in the Platinum, Diamond or Signature line - and even if they missed them while in print, the market is flooded with secondhand copies from so many releases, all for a reasonable price for most of them. Besides, the majority of people who still buy movies on disc are still buying DVDs (See here - https://forum.dvdtalk.com/13276836-post5004.html). If they can't be bothered to upgrade to Blu, there's a very slim chance people are upgrading to 4K.

Having had so many chances to buy these films over the past 10 - 15 years, it just wouldn't make sense to put out a 4K disc release for these films, and although Disney has been snubbing their home media releases in favor of digital, I almost wonder if Disney is testing the waters with 4K releases like Coco (even though it's PIXAR). Then again, if they didn't even want to release The Lion King on 4K, I don't have high hopes for any other 'classic' films.

That being said, perhaps Disney will try something new with their service. Maybe they will have some sort of "Virtual Vault", where that group of films is only available for streaming for a limited time before being taken off. Whatever the case may be, Disney has made it quite obvious that they don't care about their DVD and Blu-Ray releases for a long time now, so I'm not expecting any 4K UHD releases or a new home video line to come after the Signature films. I'm sure they'll be glad to be mostly done with physical media once the service launches.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:49 pm 

If I were working for Disney's home video department, I would recommend leaving the Signature Editions in print until the physical format dies. And while a lot of people would be happy to have the movies in 4K on the streaming service, I think there would be a market to release the movies on 4K discs. What I would do for a 4K physical release, especially for the big movies, is to aim that version more to the animation/Disney fan, kind of like the old laserdisc collections. I see that crowd leaning more to buying a physical release while I feel families would be happy enough with streaming.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:01 am 
Platinum Edition

I would love that. Something like the Special, Deluxe laserdiscs. That was when the Masterpiece moniker was used, I think.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:10 am 
Limited Edition

I loved those VHS and Laserdisc box sets and how certain Laserdisc sets had a plethora of special features. 4K is a pretty niche market, as are collectors, so conflating the two would make sense imo.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:58 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

In all honesty, I'm actually more disappointed that they didn't do Blu-Rays of old cartoon shorts (like the Walt Disney Treasures).

Meanwhile, I also saw on Disney's Facebook page (Disney Movies, I believe it's called) the short "Mickey's Trailer", alongside some information regarding Disney's nondescript streaming service, which is raising my hopes, although probably falsely, for them to show the shorts on that service. I say "probably falsely" because it's still too soon to see what's going to happen and they have been giving the shorts the shaft lately. We're lucky to get them to be shown once in a while on their Disney nights on TCM. So I don't know. I'm hoping they will show these cartoons on the new streaming service, but I don't know.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:34 pm 
Limited Edition

I heard somewhere that Disney has remastered all of their shorts and the rumored plan is to release them on their streaming service.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:51 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

JeanGreyForever wrote:
I heard somewhere that Disney has remastered all of their shorts and the rumored plan is to release them on their streaming service.

I hope you're right. I saw one, "Mickey's Trailer", on the Disney Movies page on Facebook, as I said, so here's hoping that they do have those classic shorts, and not just those newer Flash-animated Mickey cartoons.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 4:15 pm 

Isn't the The Incredibles 4K UHD blu ray a sign that Disney is willing to release their older films on 4K?