DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:22 pm 
Gold Collection

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/awards/13000-signed-petition-take-away-kobe-bryants-oscar-nomination-dear-basketball-156230.html

Quote:
While at least three animated films are dogged by sexual harassment/assault controversies at the Oscars this year, only one film has a nominee who has had rape charges filed against him.

The short is Dear Basketball. And while the film is directed by animation legend Glen Keane, its executive producer/writer/star Kobe Bryant is the other person nominated for the award. That means if the short wins an Oscar, Keane and Bryant would both receive an Oscar.

That news isn’t sitting well with a lot of people, and a petition to take away Bryant’s nomination has been launched on the community activism website Care2. Since its launch a couple days ago, the petition has received over 13,000 signatures, and that number is quickly climbing.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:43 pm 
Limited Edition

Poor Keane never seems to get a break.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:01 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

The assault allegations aren’t exactly new. Keane should have known what he was getting himself into.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:29 am 
Limited Edition

Oh are they? I don't follow sports at all so I've heard of Kobe Bryant but wasn't aware he was in the news for the wrong reasons. Are they recent allegations or would they have already been prominent before Keane worked with him?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:52 am 
Platinum Edition

JeanGreyForever wrote:
Are they recent allegations or would they have already been prominent before Keane worked with him?

The latter.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:45 pm 
Limited Edition

Sotiris wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:
Are they recent allegations or would they have already been prominent before Keane worked with him?

The latter.

Thanks for that. That makes sense since there wouldn't have been the stigma to work with an alleged offender like that the way there is now.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:20 am 
Limited Edition

I don’t think Kobe Bryant’s nomination will be taken away as the petition seeks, but this controversy could affect the short’s chances of winning, just like it happened to James Franco and his snub in the best actor category.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:37 pm 
Platinum Edition

^Honestly, I wouldn't mind if it didn't win. I've finally managed to watch the short in full and it's not that great. The only thing it has going for it is the animation. The animation is simply stunning. Some of the most impressive I've ever seen and possibly Glen's best work. But as a piece of filmmaking it's not that remarkable. It's sappy and superficial and basically screams 'vanity project'. It feels like a calculated attempt by Kobe to re-brand his image. I'd much rather have Glen win his first Oscar for a better project and one that isn't so closely associated with an alleged rapist. It's too bad "Duet" wasn't even nominated. That was much more indicative of Glen as a person and an artist than this one.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:02 pm 
Limited Edition

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:32 am 
Limited Edition

According to Goldderby charts, Dear Basketball is the favorite to win. And going by his NBA career, Bryant has a good chance at winning this. And if they give the Oscar to Pixar's Lou, they'll look like hypocrites.

Attachments:
#!001_Mkobe-brya489788062.jpg
#!001_Mkobe-brya489788062.jpg [ 103.31 KiB | Viewed 1072 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:56 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

I initially thought Dear Basketball would win the category, but with these allegations and the current movement in Hollywood, I think a lot of voters will steer clear of giving Bryant an Oscar (much like how the sexual assault allegations against James Franco probably played some role in him not getting nominated for The Disaster Artist).

Looking at the nominees, I think Garden Party will win. Like last year's winner Piper, it's a photo-realistic looking short featuring a cute animal doing funny things (a frog in that case). So it definitely seems like the kind of animated short that would appeal to voters.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:36 pm 
Limited Edition

yeah I love Glen but... he shouldnt have taken the work. Maybe he was hired and he sees Bryant only as a client...and likes to keep work relationships separate from a client's personal lives, but I dunno...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:42 pm 
Platinum Edition

I haven't seen most of Glen Keane's post-Disney work, which is due to laziness on my part. I don't know, I wish he hadn't taken this job, but it's not like animators are rich. He has to pay bills and feed his family just like anybody else.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:08 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

He's only done 3 projects since he left right?

Duet, that ballerina ad, and now the kobe short.

I know he's also played around with that VR stuff, but that's basically just doodling.

Edit: oh yeah, and that character introduction for that videogame.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:47 pm 
Limited Edition

Dear Basketball just won the Annie Award for Best Animated Short. If anyone is interested in watching the show, it's being live-streamed right now here: https://annieawards.org/watch-it-live/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:40 am 
Limited Edition

Sotiris wrote:
I'd much rather have Glen win his first Oscar for a better project and one that isn't so closely associated with an alleged rapist.

I’d prefer that too, although winning an Oscar is not so easy. He may never be this close of getting one again. Anyway, we’ll see if it can win with all the controversy. So far, however, it seems it isn’t affecting the short. Not only did it get the Annie, but Glen and Kobe also presented an award during the ceremony.

Last edited by D82 on Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:43 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Has he really not won one before? Even before the controversy I thought this was one of the less interesting projects of his. Duet was way better. But maybe its just because I'm no fan of basketball.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:04 am 
Limited Edition

Kyle wrote:
Has he really not won one before? Even before the controversy I thought this was one of the less interesting projects of his. Duet was way better. But maybe its just because I'm no fan of basketball.

If your a sports fan it helps, I'd be like Glen Keane's next short with Tom Brady "Dear Football", or Floyd Mayweather "Dear Boxing", or Tiger Woods "Dear Golf" :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:14 am 
Limited Edition

Kyle wrote:
Has he really not won one before?

I don't think so, I believe this is his first Oscar nomination.

I'm not a fan of basketball either, but I could relate to the passion for his dream Kobe shows in the short. I actually really liked it, especially the stunning animation, but also Bryant's narration. However, I agree with Sotiris that it screams "vanity project". If someone else had made it as an homage to him, it would be one thing, but to produce it himself seems a bit egocentric. And knowing that he's most likely a rapist, I understand if Oscar members don't vote for it, given that the short is all about him.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:36 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

DisneyEra wrote:
Kyle wrote:

If your a sports fan it helps, I'd be like Glen Keane's next short with Tom Brady "Dear Football", or Floyd Mayweather "Dear Boxing", or Tiger Woods "Dear Golf" :lol:

Dear boxing doesn't sound half bad actually. :lol: there's a lot of emotion you can play with there.