Disney Villainous

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Disney Villainous

Post by JeanGreyForever »

There's a new board game by Wonder Forge featuring six classic Disney villains. The game can feature 2-6 players and it was released in select stores a few days ago, but I think it still isn't available everywhere yet. It's really fun though from what I've played so far and the artwork commissioned for the cards is gorgeous.

Each villain has their own personal game board and card decks, including heroes and villains. The heroes fight you to keep you from fulfilling your objectives which differ for each villain. They're personalized which is nice so Ursula has to battle King Triton for his trident and steal his crown as well while Jafar has to unlock the Cave of Wonders with a scarab before finding the Genie Lamp and hypnotizing the Genie, etc.

This game isn't for small children though because it's pretty involved and can be complicated at times. I don't normally play strategy games and I'm not sure if this qualifies as one because it seems simpler than typical strategy games but it's definitely for older kids.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Rose Dome
Special Edition

Re: Disney Villainous

Post by Rose Dome »

Complicated, and playing as an Antagonist isn't for Me, but what a gorgeous look!
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Yes, the art is gorgeous! It's like painterly versions of all the animated films. I like Sleeping Beauty's art the most.

I played this with a friend who's also a former forum member. I would say it is a strategy game. I played three times and lost the first two times but won the last! It's pretty fun once you know what you're doing, lol.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

It takes a while to really understand the rules. I haven't really had anyone to play with yet but hope to remedy that soon.

BTW on the website, you can vote for future villains to be added.
http://www.wonderforge.com/games/disney ... voting.php

I'm not even going to bother with voting for Cruella since she seems like a shoe-in. Interestingly enough, there used to be a lot more villains on the list. Frollo, Stromboli, Ratigan, and pretty much every Pixar villain like Syndrome, Randall, Sid, etc. Even the WALL-E and Up villains. Not sure why they took all these characters left but kept Edgar as a choice lol.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

The friend I played with told me about the voting for villains thing and before I could tell him I would like the Evil Queen he voted for Lady Tremaine for me. Then I realized I would not just like playing her but I would also love to see gorgeous, painterly Cinderella art so I voted for her myself on the web site just now lol. We discussed why wasn't Frollo in it and we thought because he was too religious. And just like you we also wondered why Edgar was in it LOL!!!
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I'm guessing the Evil Queen will be a shoo-in along with Cruella (who they are using to promote the poll, even in the actual game's instructions manual) so I voted for Lady Tremaine. I'd much rather see her over a villainess like Mother Gothel or Yzma. As for male villains, I'm guessing Hades and Scar would most likely be in. I'd really just like to see Frollo and Gaston though.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, well that's awesome! But I actually like Mother Gothel and Yzma. Mother Gothel I would choose because she is more classic, though. I would like Gaston and Scar, too. Frollo and Hades bother me slightly because of religious issues.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I like Gothel and Yzma from the earlier concept versions of their movies (Rapunzel and Kingdom of the Sun). Yzma is still pretty funny but there are tons of films I'd rather see incorporated into this game before The Emperor's New Groove. Gothel is quite bland to me and it bothers me when I see her on Disney Villains merchandise over Lady Tremaine (or even Frollo for that matter). For example, the designer Disney Villain doll line featured Gothel over Lady Tremaine.

I remember you mentioned once that you were uncomfortable with the characters in Hercules because of your religious beliefs which is fair. It doesn't bother me very much because the characters are mythological and really nobody believes in the Greek gods anymore. I consider them along the lines of legends.

As for Frollo, why does he bother you exactly? He isn't a member of the clergy like he was in the book (and musical), which I can see why some Christians would be offended by.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh. I prefer funny version Yzma. Though, yes, The Emperor's New Groove isn't classic enough to be in this game. I like Mother Gothel completely though.

Actually Hercules only bothers me in one way: it wasn't done in a way other people feel it should have been to be a good movie or Disney classic. I like it, but the way they did it kind of doesn't feel right for Disney I guess.

Because Frollo does things in the name of God and is torn between his religious beliefs and lust, I find that too icky for the game.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Disney Duster wrote:Oh. I prefer funny version Yzma. Though, yes, The Emperor's New Groove isn't classic enough to be in this game. I like Mother Gothel completely though.

Actually Hercules only bothers me in one way: it wasn't done in a way other people feel it should have been to be a good movie or Disney classic. I like it, but it kind of doesn't feel right for Disney i guess.

Because Frollo does things in the name of God and is torn between his religious believes and lust, I find that too icky for the game.
I've always preferred the more dramatic and dark and threatening villains which is why I'm not a fan of Disney's take on Captain Hook or why I'm not a fan of Madam Mim either, even though she has quite a fanbase. I know Eartha Kitt, the voice actress for Yzma, was also disappointed with how her character changed. Although she still ended up liking the role, considering she stayed on for it despite the film's massive overhaul, she said that she preferred the work she did for the original rendition of Yzma. I have to agree with her, especially since her epic song, Snuff Out the Light, was cut.

I thought you meant that Hades and the Olympians being called gods offended your religious beliefs. I have a similar opinion with you on Hercules. I still enjoy the movie, but it isn't Disney enough for me (the sames goes for The Emperor's New Groove). I'm just not a big fan of Disney's comedies even if I can enjoy them. Films like Pocahontas and Hunchback resonate more with me which is why I would have liked to have seen a more traditional take on Greek mythology. For example, the way the Hercules movie opens with the traditional Charles Heston opening before it's hijacked by the Muses. I know Alan Menken was also expecting something more classical for the songs before Musker and Clements told him they wanted gospel singing.

When you were referring to Frollo, I thought you mean how you felt about him in general. I didn't realize you were referring to how he is too adult a character to be included in a kids game. I can understand that, although as a huge fan of Hunchback, I'm still hoping the film gets included. If a B-List movie like Robin Hood can be included with its somewhat strong but minor fanbase, I believe that a film like Hunchback could possibly get in as well.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I had no idea Eartha Kitt felt that way about Kingdom of the Sun! I can't remember how Mother Gothel was going to be much different from how she ended up, though.

I actually am glad we got The Emporer's New Groove instead of Kingdom of the Sun, because even though it's less "Disney", I think I would like it more. But we agree on Hercules.

It's not that I find Frollo too adult for a kid's game, especially as this is an older kid's and adult's game. I just don't think you should mix religion with being villainous in a game. But I wouldn't think it "wrong" or "bad" if he was in the game. I thought Prince John was in not for popularity but just a healthy mix of all kinds of villains (and a lack of notable male villains?).
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Disney Duster wrote:I had no idea Eartha Kitt felt that way about Kingdom of the Sun! I can't remember how Mother Gothel was going to be much different from how she ended up, though.

I actually am glad we got The Emporer's New Groove instead of Kingdom of the Sun, because even though it's less "Disney", I think I would like it more. But we agree on Hercules.

It's not that I find Frollo too adult for a kid's game, especially as this is an older kid's and adult's game. I just don't think you should mix religion with being villainous in a game. But I wouldn't think it "wrong" or "bad" if he was in the game. I thought Prince John was in not for popularity but just a healthy mix of all kinds of villains (and a lack of notable male villains?).
Unfortunately, I can't find a link as to where Eartha Kitt said that. Maybe it was in The Sweatbox but I'm not sure. Gothel had more of a Victorian governess design with the tight bun and a cane. Overall she looked more motherly. Apparently Keane designed her to look like a very affectionate and loving mother and she would have acted this way too...until she began to fear that she was losing control on Rapunzel. Then she would begin to show her true colors to reveal the monster underneath. It was all part of Keane's theme for the movie to showcase how you need to look deeper than appearances so Gothel may appear to be the picture perfect mother at first, but by the end you'd realize that she's truly evil and only using Rapunzel.

People seem to really enjoy The Emperor's New Groove for the most part, mainly because of how different it is from the typical Disney fare.

I wouldn't call Frollo religious though. He thinks he's religious but his real views are anything but which is why the Archdeacon (who actually represents the tenets of Christianity) opposes him. Frollo represents the religious hypocrite who is considered pious on the outside but is otherwise incompatible with true Christianity underneath. And if he was implemented in the game, there wouldn't be many religious references to him anyway except for his Hellfire song and maybe the ABCs he teaches to Quasimodo. Otherwise, he still represents a secular position as the minister of justice.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

It's ok, I don't need to see where Eartha Kitt said it. I prefer Mother Gothel's final design, but the motherly and then evil idea is better, though I think she had some motherly love for Rapunzel in the final film.

It's true Frollo isn't a good Christian. Hopefully they would keep Frollo's actions religion free.
Widdi
Anniversary Edition

Post by Widdi »

Played this at a board game cafe a couple weeks ago and absolutely loved it. Ordered a copy right away, but sadly it'll be awhile before it comes in as it's extremely back ordered. It's simple, but very flavorful and has a lot of replay value.

My partner and I are huge board game fans and it's so awesome that a Disney game is actually designed for more than just child audience for once. We have a couple other big Disney fans in our play group and I can't wait to introduce this to them.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I'm glad to hear that other people are enjoying this as well. I've always wanted to go to a board game cafe although I imagine it's more fun to do so if you have friends with you and none of my friends share my interests lol.
Disney Duster wrote:It's ok, I don't need to see where Eartha Kitt said it. I prefer Mother Gothel's final design, but the motherly and then evil idea is better, though I think she had some motherly love for Rapunzel in the final film.

It's true Frollo isn't a good Christian. Hopefully they would keep Frollo's actions religion free.
In the final film, I find her character confusing. It's difficult to tell if she really does love Rapunzel or just loves her for her hair. Maybe she's even deluded herself into thinking that she loves Rapunzel when that really isn't the case. Everyone seems to have a different take on it.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

It's true, we don't really know if she loves Rapunzel or not.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

This has been out for about a month now but there was an expansion pack called Disney Villainous: Wicked to the Core featuring 3 new characters: The Evil Queen, Hades, and Dr. Facilier. It's designed to be able to work with the original game or be played separately. All three new characters are slightly more complicated to play though so it's better to have some experience with the overall game and rules.

The first game was wildly successful and even won awards so I hope we can expect more expansion packs in the future. I'd love to see Lady Tremaine, Cruella, Gaston, and Frollo still.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, the Evil Queen and Facilier! Awesome!