Snow White 80th Anniversary

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Snow White 80th Anniversary

Post by Sotiris »

On December 21, we will be celebrating the 80th anniversary of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and Disney is preparing various events and merchandise around it. Feel free to discuss the one that started it all and its cultural significance.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Re: Snow White 80th Anniversary

Post by Vlad »

I bought that Cinestory Comic edition of the movie. It has the official 80th Anniversary logo on it.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Sicoe Vlad wrote:It has the official 80th Anniversary logo on it.
Could you post a picture of the logo?

Articles on upcoming events and collaborations for Snow White's 80th anniversary.

Kipling x Disney to release debut Snow White collection
https://fashionunited.com/news/fashion/ ... 7101617858

Bésame Cosmetics collaborated with Disney on a "Snow White" collection
https://hellogiggles.com/beauty/makeup/ ... ollection/

Saks Fifth Avenue Will Deck Their Windows With Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs This Holiday Season
https://style.disney.com/fashion/2017/1 ... w-display/

Saks Fifth Avenue and Disney Announce Holiday Collaboration to Celebrate 80th Anniversary of "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs"
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 98044.html
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Click on the image, and you’ll see the full cover, with the logo
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

^Thanks! That's a cool logo.

Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I had the same only red and black colors on white idea for a Snow White movie cover...oh well, I'll still draw it.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

They've been using those three colors for a while to represent Snow White on their makeup products. As someone who loves that aspect most from the original fairy tale, it's nice to see it again.

Here are products from the Bradford Exchange to commiserate Snow White's 80 anniversary. There's some more Snow White stuff as well but they've been on there forever so I didn't post them as they're not part of the Anniversary Line.

My favorite is the musical clock.
https://www.bradfordexchange.com/produc ... uckoo.html

I'm half-tempted to get this but I also really love the Alice in Wonderland one as well. I only wish they had done a better job with Snow White on here. Her face is really good but her dress is too different from the movie for my taste (although I should be used to that from the DP line). Dopey also annoyingly enough has the wrong color hat. It's strange since usually all the dwarfs except Dopey are miscolored. Sneezy's beard also seems a little longer than usual.

https://www.bradfordexchange.com/produc ... ector.html
There's this collector's plate. It's absolutely gorgeous with the green and gold trim, two colors that look amazing with this film.

There's also this music box which is the cheapest item on here. https://www.bradfordexchange.com/produc ... c-box.html
Apparently, it lights up underneath the glass cover to illuminate the artwork. There's a key as well, so I'm assuming it actually opens, unless it is just for show.

Finally, there's this panaroma of plates which is also really well done.
https://www.bradfordexchange.com/produc ... warfs.html
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Well, to tell about my overall memories and experiences with Snow White; As a toddler I got exposed to Disney through the books, merchandise and of course from From All of Us To All of You annual Christmas show (which is quite known here in Scandinavia) before seeing some of Disney's features and my love for Disney came out of that. However, I remember actually my parents taking me to see Snow White at the theaters very young, probably in the early nineties and Snow White was probably the first Disney canon feature I ever saw theatrically (the first Disney movie I ever saw being Ducktales the Movie in kinder garden).

What I recall most is how at the time I found Snow White too be quite short for a full-length feature, actually! Believe it or not! Overall, though liking it, I never was obsessed with it as a kid and I was put off by the grim and bittersweet parts. However, when the movie was eventually released on VHS for the first time (when I was ten), I remember getting it as a gift and gaining a bigger appreciation and affection for it. Otherwise, even in my adult years my affection and appreciation for the film has been present.
As a kid Cinderella was my favorite of Walt's fairy tales (yes, I'm straying away from the Princess-stamp, guys), while Sleeping Beauty was my least favorite, though finding the film tedious and unappealing in my first viewing (but just with Snow White and Fantasia, I grew to love it more as older). But growing older, I'm less appealed by Cinderella (frankly, I find now parts of that movie more tedious and unappealing). And no, I don't hate it, I still like parts of it, yet I feel that Cinderella is flawed on it's own terms; The scenes with Lucifer and the mice are just needless filler to pad the story, whereas the movie is throwing the stereotypes in a quite blatant way (the stepsisters nasty nature are enhanced in a forced way that is just contrived and though Lady Tremaine is genuinely menacing, I find her inferior to The Wicked Queen and Maleficent).
Last edited by DisneyFan09 on Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

So now what's your favorite Disney fairy tale movie? Snow White?
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Snow White has always been my favorite Disney movie. When I was a kid, my mom and dad bought me the storybook. I remember the illustration on the cover, with Snow White holding the apple, smiling with two bluebirds flying around her. I still have the book, and it's my most prized possession.

I did not see the movie until I was 5-6 years old, when my mom bought the VHS for Christmas. I didn't even know there was a movie, I was only familiar with the book I had. I read it so many times, that I had it memorized, and I was in love with the illustrations. So, naturally, I was beyond excited to see the movie itself. And it was love at first sight. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I loved the characters, especially Snow White and the Queen (I thought they were absolutely beautiful). The first Disney movies I saw were Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King, which I loved, but everything changed once Snow White came into my life. :lol: :lol: It has and will always have a very special place in my heart.

A few weeks ago, I arrived home from work, and I was in a particularly bad mood. I took my Blu-ray copy of the movie, and decided to give it a watch. My mom watched it with me. When the movie ended, she was looking at me, and told me, "It's like you're a different person when you watch it. You were smiling the whole way through." :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I know many people say that The Lion King or Frozen are the best Disney movies of all time, but for me that will always be Snow White. :)
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Disney Duster wrote:So now what's your favorite Disney fairy tale movie? Snow White?
Sorry if it seemed like I was talking down on Cinderella, that wasn't my intention. Now it stands between Snow White and Sleeping Beauty. I don't hate Cinderella at all, I'm mesmerized by parts of it. But my aforementioned rants are the reasons for liking it less than Walt's two other fairy tales.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

That's such a sweet story Vlad.

DisneyFan09 thanks for telling me that. Yea, the mice and cat scenes are too much filler (except you need the mice when they help Cinderella in the morning, steal the stepsisters' things, make the dress, and deliver the key) but I think the stepsisters are done perfectly! I do agree with you on Lady Tremaine to a degree. Maleficent is more awesome to me, but I think Lady Tremaine has more character than the Evil Queen.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

My childhood memories are mostly of watching the VHS. I watched some Disney films more than others, of course, but they all got regular rotation. Not to be negative, just honest: my memories were mostly boredom from this film, and the middle of it drags. I can appreciate it more from the standpoint of an adult now. Still not one of my favorites at all (even among Disney's first 5 films, I'd put it last), but it is a great film and I'm glad it's a beloved classic.

Hard to believe it's only 80 years old. How much things have changed since then. They don't even make hand-drawn films at Disney anymore.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
bruno_wbt
Anniversary Edition

Post by bruno_wbt »

Sofia Carson sings "With a Smile and a Song" to celebrate the 80th Anniversary :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZtPijAiAi4

I think this is the first time someone covers that song. It has always been one of my faves and I really love this cover by Sofia Carson, she has a very sweet voice.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

^It's not the first time but it's a Disney song that rarely gets covered. I like Sofia's voice; she sounds really well during live performances. I hope she covers Someday My Prince Will Come too.

Fashion designers are creating dresses inspired by Snow White for Saks Fifth Avenue.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPeZHdlMKz0

Behind-the-scenes at the Saks Fifth Avenue Snow White display
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2Nn6gXszpM
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

I first saw Snow White theatrically. There were actually two separate re-releases in the early 90s in the UK (one around 1991/2 and another in 1994) and I remember seeing both. I can't remember much of the first one (despite the expected shock of the Queen transforming into the witch), but then again, I was around 3. The latter one was actually with my grandmother, which I remember a lot more (I was 6). She had seen it as a girl in its first release, and despite being somewhat cynical, she seemed to relish watching it again and recounting to us her memories of watching it the first time round. A few months later, the VHS came out, which like many others, we got for Christmas.

As for now, I still have a soft spot for Snow White. I love the art direction (a sort of pastiche on 19th and early 20th century European illustration), the score and songs are outstanding, and the slower pace compared to modern animated films feels relaxing (but not boring). I've gone through phases where I don't like Snow White as much as I do or have done, and I will hands down always say that the two follow-ups (Pinocchio and Fantasia) are better films. Yet generally speaking, I think it is one of the best Disney films and it does have that very special aura of being the first Disney feature film made. Plus, the technical and storytelling innovations made to produce the film were certainly phenomenal.
bruno_wbt
Anniversary Edition

Post by bruno_wbt »

Sotiris wrote:^It's not the first time but it's a Disney song that rarely gets covered. I like Sofia's voice; she sounds really well during live performances. I hope she covers Someday My Prince Will Come too.

What other time did that song got covered? Maybe in a live performance? Because I can't think of any CD like Disneymania or anything.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

bruno_wbt wrote:What other time did that song got covered? Maybe in a live performance? Because I can't think of any CD like Disneymania or anything.
Here are the English-language renditions I was able to find (in chronological order):

Carmen Lombardo
Sonny Schuyler
Anne Lenner
Rose Marie Jun
Connie Zimet & Ron Marshall
Darlene Gillespie
Doris Day
Barbara Cook
Barbara Hendricks
Bradford Newquist
The Broadway Theatre Players
ProSound Karaoke Band
Danilla Riyadi
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Disney Duster wrote:DisneyFan09 thanks for telling me that.
No problem ;)
Wonderlicious wrote:I first saw Snow White theatrically. There were actually two separate re-releases in the early 90s in the UK (one around 1991/2 and another in 1994) and I remember seeing both.
Okay, it was probably around that former time where I saw it, since Norwegian releases pretty much were released around the same time of UK releases. But it never received a theatrical re-release in 1994 around here. Thanks for the head up!
bruno_wbt
Anniversary Edition

Post by bruno_wbt »

Sotiris wrote: Here are the English-language renditions I was able to find (in chronological order):
:o

Wow! Thank you so much!!!