DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Disney Buys Fox
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:05 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Jorge R. Gutierrez just confirmed that Book of Life is now Disney

https://twitter.com/mexopolis/status/941333170879729664

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:27 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Sotiris wrote:
And it's official! Disney bought most Fox's assets for $52.4 billion ($66.1 billion when including debt). Iger will remain CEO until the end of 2021.

Disney to Buy 21st Century Fox Assets for $52.4 Billion in Historic Hollywood Merger
http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/disney ... 202631242/

Well...this is cause for celebration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvX_5ym_ajI

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:55 pm 
Collector's Edition

disneyprincess11 wrote:
Jorge R. Gutierrez just confirmed that Book of Life is now Disney

https://twitter.com/mexopolis/status/941333170879729664

I imagine lots of people are gonna be salty about that.

Meh, as long as the X-Men are left unscathed in either the comics or movies (no recasting like you did with Spida-Man plz, the MCU just has an habit of ruining any Marvel characters I actually like) and leave alone the Simpsons I don't care.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:26 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

thedisneyspirit wrote:
Meh, as long as the X-Men are left unscathed in either the comics or movies (no recasting like you did with Spida-Man plz, the MCU just has an habit of ruining any Marvel characters I actually like) and leave alone the Simpsons I don't care.

Why do I have the uneasy feeling that that is something they will not do? At least as far as "The Simpsons" is concerned?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:46 pm 
Super Genius

While I prefer aas much diversity as possible in the form of different film studios, at least there is one good thing about the deal; the streaming business. In an ideal world there would be no more than a small handfull of streaming services to choose from. The only way for people in general to afford all of them is if they are few enough.

(And I am one of those who actually don't mind a total reboot of the X-Men universe.)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:57 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Current X-Men series wouldn't work in the MCU, what with multiple timelines, continuity issues and quasi-reboots within itself, and I believe that once X-Men: Dark Phoenix and The New Mutants are released next year, we can expect a full reboot that introduces the team into the MCU. The exception to this is Deadpool which doesn't truly fit with neither of the two main X-Men timelines (different Deadpool, different tone, different Colossus, no other X-Men), and can be easily fit into the MCU as it currently is. Provided Disney allows an R-rated movie into the franchise, of course.

I've actually grown tired of the MCU, or rather its current form, particularly the latest three movies (Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Spider-Man: Homecoming, and Thor: Ragnarok) were too heavy on (juvenile) jokes to the point of breaking every dramatic tension and ruining every serious moment. Some parts were virtually unwatchable. I just don't understand the amount of praise they're getting.

X-Men is my favororite superhero series, and it represents the perfect balance between DC's dourness and gloom and MCU's blandness and cheap jokes, and I'd hate to see it wrap up. However, the series is not as strong or viable as it was only three years ago: X-Men: Apocalypse was rather mediocre and undid a lot of X-Men: Days of Future's Past's goodwill, while Logan wrapped things up nicely for the character/actor/series, and I don't see it contuining past that point. Let the current series die with dignity. I guess a reboot would be a preferred option, though I can already sense that in Disney's hands it won't resemble the X-Men I fell in love with.

So yeah, keep Deadpool, reboot everything else, and get a Fantastic Four reboot ready for a 2020 release (2+0+2+0=4) in MCU's Phase 4. And please go back to the tone of Phase 1.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:29 pm 
Limited Edition

Avengers 4 will end with someone using the Reality Stone to fuse two universes: The current MCU and a new, rebooted universe where mutants exist. Expect this event to also introduce new versions of characters that will die in Avengers 3 and 4. It's convoluted and a little heavy handed, but it's exactly the type of thing Comic Books do all the time.

The only other way I can see it happening without an entire MCU reboot is if Scarlet Witch does a kind of reverse "No More Mutants" thing and causes a dormant X-gene to erupt in the human population. The big problem with this being that you would essentially have to start from square one with Professor X and Magneto rather than having them already having powers and creating the X-Men and The Brotherhood.

Also Doctor Doom will be the next overarching villain in the MCU and I can't freaking wait. Let Doom finally be the real threat he has always been in the comics on film.

Deadpool need not change. A couple throw-away jokes at the start of Deadpool 3 and Ryan Reynolds is good to go.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:17 pm 
Collector's Edition

The X-Men need to change desperately. Fox has had this franchise for 17 years now and been unable to do justice for most of the characters except a handful. I'm hoping for a full reboot with a completely new cast especially since it doesn't seem as though Patrick Stewart and Hugh Jackman will be returning, and the rest aren't really that linked to their characters.

Now I just want to see Anastasia get her due.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:42 pm 
Limited Edition

anyone think theyll do with the X-men what they did withFrozen? the most popular ones will appear in the Avengers/MCU films, but they will have their own separate franchise concerning stuff like game, animation, merchandise etc... the X-world is so vast that it can support being its own thing and the Avengers continues to be popular on its own.

as for Fox-Men, they kinda lost me with the 3rd film, so I'm game for whatever Disney does with them
with one exception:

a Generation X animated series... is all I ask for :P

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:22 am 
Limited Edition

Thoughts about this later.

For now...

https://youtu.be/6mhgmo8h6dI

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:05 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

An article about the future of Fox's animation businesses
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... ss-1068040

And an article about what the deal could mean for Star Wars on home video (PS. Last Jedi confirmed for Blu-ray 3D and 4K!):
http://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-tw ... 21417-1215

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:25 am 
Super Genius

Maybe we can finally see the re-release of the original Star Wars, which Fox had the rights too. Why would Disney say no to selling a DVD/Blu-Ray that would sell very well? The only reason would be of respect to George Lucas, who sadly doesn't want to see it in its original form again.

I agree that the juvenile humor in some of the latest Marvel movies could be toned down or even fully removed, but X-Men still needs to start all over. I can only speak for myself, but there have always been something about the X-Men movies from Fox that has been grinding my gears to some degree, to quote Peter Griffin, who will also join Disney soon.

Interestingly, all these studios were already connected somehow, and now they will end up under the same roof. Common knowledge for most people, but it is fun to mention it anyway:

Alexander Schure (who wanted to be a modern Walt Disney), Ed Catmull (who wanted to be a Disney animator when he was a kid) and Alvy Ray Smith and others at NYIT were all trying to create the first computer animated movie. They were headhunted by Lucasfilm, were later joined by Lasseter from Disney, and eventually created Pixar, which was later bought by Disney. Later Lucasfilm joined Disney.

Star Wars is said to have saved Marvel comics in the late 70s. Even if Roy Thomas think Marvel would somehow have been able to survive anyway, it is no doubt that the huge sales of the Star Wars comics brought in much needed money at a time when the whole comic book industry struggled. Marvel ended up with Disney too.

During the production of the Disney movie Tron, a team was formed that would later go out and create what would become known as Blue Sky Studios. It was bought by Fox, and is now reunited with Disney.

Also Fox was in trouble in the late 70s, and it is said that Star Wars literally saved them from bankruptcy. The movie's success and the fact that Lucas had the rights to all the merchandise allowed him to create Lucasfilm. And the financial success of movies from Pixar, Marvel and Lucasfilm is probably one of the reasons why Disney was able to make a deal with Fox.

Also, could this mean there is a possibility for a live action movie of Futurama? (If so, then please no heads in jars.)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:05 am 
Platinum Edition

I personally don't want to see X-Men rebooted. It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, but they already did a soft reboot with McAvoy/Fassbender/Lawrence, Sansa playing Jean Grey/Phoenix and so on. I think another reboot would be criticized similarly to Spider-Man: Homecoming.

I'm hoping Deadpool won't be affected--among so many other things...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:16 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

An official release of the Star Wars Holiday Special?!?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:54 am 
Collector's Edition

Rumpelstiltskin wrote:
Maybe we can finally see the re-release of the original Star Wars, which Fox had the rights too. Why would Disney say no to selling a DVD/Blu-Ray that would sell very well? The only reason would be of respect to George Lucas, who sadly doesn't want to see it in its original form again.

I agree that the juvenile humor in some of the latest Marvel movies could be toned down or even fully removed, but X-Men still needs to start all over. I can only speak for myself, but there have always been something about the X-Men movies from Fox that has been grinding my gears to some degree, to quote Peter Griffin, who will also join Disney soon.

Interestingly, all these studios were already connected somehow, and now they will end up under the same roof. Common knowledge for most people, but it is fun to mention it anyway:

Alexander Schure (who wanted to be a modern Walt Disney), Ed Catmull (who wanted to be a Disney animator when he was a kid) and Alvy Ray Smith and others at NYIT were all trying to create the first computer animated movie. They were headhunted by Lucasfilm, were later joined by Lasseter from Disney, and eventually created Pixar, which was later bought by Disney. Later Lucasfilm joined Disney.

Star Wars is said to have saved Marvel comics in the late 70s. Even if Roy Thomas think Marvel would somehow have been able to survive anyway, it is no doubt that the huge sales of the Star Wars comics brought in much needed money at a time when the whole comic book industry struggled. Marvel ended up with Disney too.

During the production of the Disney movie Tron, a team was formed that would later go out and create what would become known as Blue Sky Studios. It was bought by Fox, and is now reunited with Disney.

Also Fox was in trouble in the late 70s, and it is said that Star Wars literally saved them from bankruptcy. The movie's success and the fact that Lucas had the rights to all the merchandise allowed him to create Lucasfilm. And the financial success of movies from Pixar, Marvel and Lucasfilm is probably one of the reasons why Disney was able to make a deal with Fox.

Also, could this mean there is a possibility for a live action movie of Futurama? (If so, then please no heads in jars.)

Rumor has it that Lucas still has the power when it comes to releasing the unaltered original trilogy, and this deal doesn't change that. I think it was actually part of the deal with Disney when they first bought Star Wars that they couldn't release it without his permission.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:12 am 
Limited Edition

Upon further reflection it wouldn't be completely inconceivable that Mutants already exist in the MCU. Professor Xavier could already have the school in operation with the world at large having no idea that Mutants exist (though the idea that he wouldn't risk exposure of them to fight off someone like Thanos seems a bit much to take). If Mutants are already secretly in play then I could see them revealing themselves in the aftermath of Thanos. Especially if they use Magneto as a villain for someone else before introducing the team. Have him take advantage of broken world to expose a new threat that has always been there. We as the audience will of course know who that his abilities are mutant, but it could be something The Avengers have to discover. If they do Iron Man 4 (I could see them doing a 5th Avengers film as well with a smaller cast) Magneto would be a fantastic foe, with the Original X-team being revealed in the climactic battle after Magneto defeats the metal man. Have Nick Fury show up in the credits to announce that S.H.E.I.L.D. knew about Mutants all along (although with S.H.E.I.L.D. being controlled by Hydra for decades your suspension of disbelief would need to be pushed again, no way Hydra wouldn't use Mutants if they knew about them). Then do a standalone X-Men film explaining just how and why Xavier kept Mutants a secret and what's happening now that the world knows about them.

Rebooting or universe colliding would likely be the easiest solution, but I'm sure the right writers can make it work.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:24 am 
Limited Edition

I wasn't aware of this, even though I saw the thread a few weeks ago, but I thought it was a fake or a joke. Then I saw on Facebook the official announcement on Good Morning, America. This is very exciting. I wonder if the classic films in Fox's library, like The Sound Of Music will have receive any special treatments from Disney.

If you're a fan of Disney animation, like my Facebook fanpage

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:18 am 
Limited Edition

WDAS may have to updated that infamous Princess scene in Ralph Breaks the Internet next Thanksgiving: "Merida & Anastasia are from the other studios" :lol:

Attachments:
#!001_MicrosoMichelle-9192515.jpg
#!001_MicrosoMichelle-9192515.jpg [ 210.44 KiB | Viewed 221 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:44 am 
Platinum Edition

As previously reported, 20th Century Fox will most likely become a production label within Disney Studios.

Quote:
Disney is eager to take over Fox's TV production and distribution business, but how it plans to integrate Fox's film business is considered much more tenuous. There's widespread speculation that the film operation, headed by Stacey Snider, will be folded into Disney and become a label alongside Lucasfilm, Marvel Studios and Pixar, reducing the overall number of films that the six major studios feed theaters each year. Overseeing it all will be Disney Studios chairman Alan Horn, who runs the most successful film studio in Hollywood, including Disney's own live-action studio and Disney Animation Studios, in addition to Hollywood's most impressive stable of production silos. What is certain is that Fox will no longer be a full-fledged movie studio, since Disney wouldn't need two separate marketing and distribution divisions.

Iger said during the call that Disney is expected to keep Fox Searchlight and Fox 2000 in the studio fold on the movie side. Iger also said the Fox assets would allow Disney to expand its tentpole business. "But we also like being in the business of making quality movies. We're very impressed with what Fox Searchlight has accomplished from a quality perspective, and with Fox 2000, we fully intend to stay in those businesses,"
Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... em-1067517

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:16 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Interesting theories, but I still think they'll opt for a full reboot. Even with Spider-Man, they discarded both Tobey Maguire's and Andrew Garfield's version of the character, and started with a clean slate. I see the same thing happening with X-Men, especially with the current series' messy inconsistencies from one installment to another. I'm going to miss the cast, both old and new, arguably the finest ensemble cast in a comic book film. You just can't beat the combined star and acting powers of Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, Hugh Jackman, Michael Fassbender, Famke Janssen, Halle Berry, James McAvoy, Anna Paquin, Jennifer Lawrence, Kelsey Garmmer and Ellen Page.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next