DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:01 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

What does this mean? I do not know, but let's hope whoever steps in loves hand-drawn animation and physical home media:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainmen ... -1.3539425

"Bob Iger is giving up his Mickey Mouse ears.

The CEO of Disney confirmed Tuesday that he plans to leave the company in mid-2019.

“This time I mean it,” Iger joked at Vanity Fair's New Establishment Summit.

The 66-year-old Long Island native took over as CEO in 2005 and was responsible for the acquisition of Pixar in 2006, Marvel in 2009 and Lucasfilm in 2012.

Iger began his career at ABC and was named ABC Network Television Group president in 1993. He became the president of Walt Disney International in 1999 and took over as president and COO of Disney a year later.

His contract was originally supposed to expire in June 2016, but he was given a three-year extension as a consultant that paid $2 million for each of the first two years and $1 million for the final year.

Upcoming Disney blockbusters include “A Wrinkle in Time,” “Avengers: Infinity War” and “Star Wars: The Last Jedi.”"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:49 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

I want to say "thank goodness," but honestly, the next person might be worse. Yikes!

All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:09 pm 
Collector's Edition

Here's hoping that there might be some positive changes. Like a re-emphasis on physical media and a release of Song of the South.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:07 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Are they going to put Jon Lasetter in there?

I don't think they would but who knows. I'm ready for a change though. I'm not expecting a miracle or anything, but at the very least I'd like to see less live action remakes. Though at the rate they are going they will have already released the main ones by then.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:43 am 
Collector's Edition

Kyle wrote:

I don't think they would but who knows. I'm ready for a change though. I'm not expecting a miracle or anything, but at the very least I'd like to see less live action remakes. Though at the rate they are going they will have already released the main ones by then.

I think it'll just be Aladdin and Mulan by 2019. The only live-action films I'm interested in seeing now are Disney's neglected properties like The Sword in the Stone and The Chronicles of Prydain. Love the source material (especially for the latter) but did not like Disney's treatments, and both would fill the gap that Narnia used to fill in Disney's live-action collection.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:25 pm 
Limited Edition

maybe they can finally get X-Men and Fantastic Four back, or at least stop banning them from merchandise, animation, and other promotions!

Im not holding out much hope for 2d animation returning... as far as the average person(or CEO) is concerned hand drawn animation doesn't even exist anymore. :|

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:16 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Kyle wrote:

I think Kathleen Kennedy or Kevin Feige are more realistic than Lassiter. Even more realistically, I expect a senior executive like Alan Horn or someone new from the outside to fill that spot.

On the specific issue of physical media, I really wish Disney would start outsourcing to third party manufacturers like SHOUT! Factory or use the Disney Movie Club to do a better job with DVD-on-Demand. I just don't expect it. They don't even do a very good job of putting older legacy titles on streaming services all the time, so who knows?! While there are a lot of things out there, there is so much more that isn't.

All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:27 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

milojthatch wrote:
Kyle wrote:
On the specific issue of physical media, I really wish Disney would start outsourcing to third party manufacturers like SHOUT! Factory or use the Disney Movie Club to do a better job with DVD-on-Demand. I just don't expect it.

Well they seem to be open to the idea of sublicensing since they have deals with Lionsgate, Mill Creek, and now Kino Lorber.

And again, not for this feud with Amazon, they could use the opportunity of releasing catalog TV titles exclusively there.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:40 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Mickeyfan1990 wrote:
milojthatch wrote:
Kyle wrote:
On the specific issue of physical media, I really wish Disney would start outsourcing to third party manufacturers like SHOUT! Factory or use the Disney Movie Club to do a better job with DVD-on-Demand. I just don't expect it.

Well they seem to be open to the idea of sublicensing since they have deals with Lionsgate, Mill Creek, and now Kino Lorber.

And again, not for this feud with Amazon, they could use the opportunity of releasing catalog TV titles exclusively there.

Thus far any outsourcing hasn't been for shall we say hard Disney titles like say DuckTales or Honey I Shrunk the Kids: The Series. On the issue of Amazon, Disney did have a DVD-on-Demand service they were using through them and they let it die. I don't know what the odds are of them trying it again, at least there if anywhere.

-Walt Disney