D23 Expo 2017

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

D23 Expo 2017

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Fri Jul 14, 10:00am- The Walt Disney Company’s Celebrated Product Legacy and the Exciting Future Ahead- Get an inside look at the history of Disney’s beloved products and collectibles throughout the years, and a sneak peek at the product development process and some new products coming soon!

Fri Jul 14, 10:30am- From Screen to Page: Gravity Falls and Star vs. The Forces of Evil- Gravity Falls creator Alex Hirsch and Star vs. The Forces of Evil creator Daron Nefcy will join forces to share the unique process of taking a show from screen to page

Fri Jul 14, 11:00am- Mousequerade- watch dozens of finalists take the stage in this fan-favorite costume competition

Fri Jul 14, 11:30am- “Out of the night, when the full moon is bright” – 60 Years of the Horseman Known as Zorro- This presentation looks back at its sometimes rocky road to the screen, the many actors considered for the series, and some of the very special Disney touches that made it such a success. Hosted by Disney historian and author Bill Cotter.

Fri Jul 14, 1:15pm- Cup o’ Joe, a no-holds-barred panel on everything Marvel

Fri Jul 14, 1:30pm- Walking with Giants: A Virtual Visit to Walt Disney’s Hyperion Studio- Combining state-of-the-art technology with never-before-seen vintage imagery, fans will explore this legendary location where Walt and his team unlocked the secrets of animation and turned amusement into art. Hosted by animation historian Hans Perk.

Fri Jul 14, 2:30pm- Pixar and Walt Disney Animation Studios: The Upcoming Films, Hosted by John Lasseter

Fri Jul 14, 2:30- The Golden Girls: A Celebration of Friendship, Laughter, and Cheesecake- an unforgettable celebration of the enduring fan favorite, 25 years after the final episode

Fri Jul 14, 3:00pm- Ludwig Von Drake and Walt Disney’s Colorful TV Revolution- Disney writer and historian Jim Fanning shares a kaleidoscope of rare footage, seldom-seen stills, and some “kooky” surprises.

Fri Jul 14, 3:30pm- Pirates of the Caribbean: 50 Years of Swashbuckling Adventures in Disney Parks- Imagineers tracing the attractions' early origins to the latest technical achievements of Pirates of the Caribbean: Battle for the Sunken Treasure at Shanghai Disneyland.

Fri Jul 14, 4:15pm- Disney Legends 30th Anniversary- Host Leonard Maltin; Bill Farmer, Karen Dotrice, Andreas Deja, Bob Gurr, Dave Smith, Mark Hamill

Fri Jul 14, 4:30pm- Ink & Paint – The Women of Walt Disney’s Animation- Mindy Johnson, author of the forthcoming landmark volume Ink & Paint – The Women of Walt Disney’s Animation, introduces you to a panel showcasing some of the extraordinary artists who’ve made remarkable contributions to Walt Disney’s animation.

Fri Jul 14, 6:00pm- Melodies in Walt’s Time: The Music of Disney Live-Action Films- Celebrate the magical music of Walt’s live-action films with live performances of songs from Summer Magic, Mary Poppins, The Happiest Millionaire, The One and Only, Genuine, Original Family Band]/i], and more. Hosted by Whoopi Goldberg, the extravaganza will feature Lesley Ann Warren, Karen Dotrice, and other renowned guest stars, live musical performers, and a 20-voice chorus.

Fri Jul 14, 6:00pm- Park Stars: Original Characters of the Disney Parks- Join Imagineers Jason Grandt and Diana Brost as they take you on a journey around the world to meet many of the fun personalities that appear in Disney Parks attractions and shows.

Fri Jul 14, 6:00pm- Marvel Animation will hold a surprise-filled panel of sneak peeks, special guests, exclusive footage, and big announcements about the future of Marvel Animation

Sat Jul 15, 10:00am- Marc Davis Goes to WED – The Amazing Artistry and Designs of the Legendary Disney Imagineer- Join Pixar’s Pete Docter and Walt Disney Imagineering’s Christopher Merritt as they share amazing and unseen artwork and photographs they have discovered in the process of writing a new book on this Imagineering Legend.

Sat Jul 15, 10:30am- The Power of the Princess- Jodi Benson, Anika Noni Rose, and Auli‘i Cravalho take the stage to share stories from the sound booth and beyond.

Sat Jul 15, 11:30am- The Hidden Art of Disney – A Behind-the-Scenes Look at the They Drew as They Pleased Book Series- Author Didier Ghez reveals the fascinating detective work behind the making of the books and an exclusive preview of the upcoming volumes in the series.

Sat Jul 15, 12:15pm- Creating the Worlds in Pixar’s Universe- behind the scenes on a visual tour of the amazing worlds created in Pixar films

Sat Jul 15, 1:00pm- Level Up! The Walt Disney Company’s Video Game Showcase- Experience never-before-seen gameplay, trailers, special guests, and other unforgettable surprises from across the Disney, Star Wars, and Marvel games portfolios in this must-see showcase. Includes Star Wars Battlefront II and Kingdom Hearts III.

Sat Jul 15, 1:30pm- Walt, Kaye and Marceline: A Very Big, Small Town Story- Kaye Malins can reminisce about a lifetime of pixie-dust-filled moments with Walt, Roy, and Ruth Disney that seamlessly led her to her current role as Executive Director of the Walt Disney Hometown Museum

Sat Jul 15, 2:30pm- Olaf’s Frozen Adventure: A Sneak Peek at the New Frozen Short Film- exclusive and behind-the-scenes footage

Sat Jul 15, 3:00pm- Walt Disney Parks and Resorts- Disney Parks and Resorts Chairman Bob Chapek will take the stage during this presentation to share what’s new and what’s next

Sat Jul 15, 3:00pm- Disney and Pixar Did That? Advertisements and Animated Commercials- rarely seen advertising campaigns and animated commercials spanning from the 1930s to Pixar’s efforts of the 1990s.

Sat Jul 15, 6:00pm- A Kiss Goodnight with Disney Legends Richard Sherman and Floyd Norman- Join Disney Legend and music master Richard Sherman and Disney Legend and iconic animator Floyd Norman as they discuss their upcoming book, A Kiss Goodnight.

Sat Jul 15, 6:00pm- Yesterday’s Tomorrow: Disney’s Magical Mid-Century- Don Hahn’s new book Yesterday’s Tomorrow: Disney’s Magical Mid-Century is a valentine to Disney of the 50s and 60s, an era of optimism, relaxed lifestyle, and innovative design. Author Don Hahn takes us on a lavishly illustrated journey through the era with rarely seen art and photography of the mid-20th century reflecting the unique style that Walt Disney and his artists pioneered.

Sat Jul 15, 6:00pm- The Evolution of Pixar’s Characters- Join some of the legendary Pixar artists behind its most memorable characters as they share what it’s like to draw these loveable characters to life.

Sun Jul 16, 10:00am- Writing with Walt: Researching in the Magic Kingdom of Good Eating- This talk examines the research, interviews, and serendipity that led to the first food book about Walt Disney at home, the studio, and Disneyland. Marcy Smothers’ upcoming book, Eat Like Walt

Sun Jul 16, 11:30am- Bambi’s 75th Anniversary- personal stories from the voice cast, anecdotes behind the making of this film and its exquisite hand-drawn artwork, and much, much more

Sun Jul 16, 12:15pm- Inspiring Women of Imagineering- Expect to hear some inspiring personal stories and get an insider’s look at the Imagineering process from these creative and technical professionals building on Disney’s rich legacy of female Imagineers.

Sun Jul 16, 12:30pm- Zero to Hero: The Making of Hercules- Join directors John Musker and Ron Clements, animators Eric Goldberg and Ken Duncan, Susan Egan and Tate Donovan, as they share stories from the making of the 1997 fan-favorite film.

Sun Jul 16, 1:30pm- Magic in the Details: How Disney Historical Collections Continue to Inspire- Join Disney archivists and collection managers as they explain how historical materials from company collections help to extend the life of a given story beyond a project’s completion or end credits.

Sun Jul 16, 2:30pm- Voices of Disney Parks- talented voice actors share stories from their vocal vocations.

Sun Jul 16, 3:15pm- Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs: 80th Anniversary Screening

Sun Jul 16, 3:30pm- Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough – Celebrating 60 Years of Walt Disney’s Most Charming Tableaux- Join Imagineers Tony Baxter and Christopher Merritt as they take you through the history and development of this beloved attraction, from its beginnings in the 1950s, through to its “re-awakening” in 2008.

Sun Jul 16, 4:15pm- Maps of Disney Parks- Kingdom Keepers author Ridley Pearson, Disney Legend Marty Sklar, and fellow Imagineers will take the stage to explore the history of Disney Parks through Maps of Disney Parks: Charting 60 Years from California to Shanghai.

Sun Jul 16, 5:00pm- PopDisney: Six Degrees of Separation- How were the many worlds of Disney—such as Marvel, Lucasfilm, and the Muppets—all connected long before they were part of The Walt Disney Company? Join archivist Justin Arthur and Disney Character Voice Bret Iwan

Sun Jul 16, 6:00pm- Legends of Walt Disney Imagineering- Host John Stamos; Marty Sklar, Tony Baxter, Wayne Jackson

Sun Jul 16, 6:00pm- 90 Years of Oswald the Lucky Rabbit- Celebrating the 90th anniversary of Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, Dave Bossert and David Gerstein, authors of Oswald the Lucky Rabbit: The Search for the Lost Disney Cartoons, will showcase the definitive history of the iconic character.

And, don’t miss these exciting events throughout the weekend:

Center Stage- Located at the center of the D23 Expo show floor, get ready for live performances from Aimee Carrero and Lou Diamond Phillips (Elena of Avalor), Temecula Road, Tomasina, Billy Hill and the Hillbillies, and Susan Egan, singing favorites from Beauty and the Beast, drawing with Disney animators Eric Goldberg and Mark Henn and Marvel’s Brian Crosby, and the voice of Disneyland, Bill Rogers, will be on hand each day to record fans’ outgoing voicemail messages.

D23 Expo’s Ultimate Fan Street Party –– Making its way down Mickey Avenue twice daily, the street party will feature a live band, beloved Disney characters, and celebrity grand marshals. tan Lee and Mark Hamill will grand marshal the first cavalcade on Friday, July 14, followed by the Descendants 2 cast later that day.

While you’re on the show floor, don’t miss the DCPI pavilion, where guests will be able to preview and experience all-new cross-category offerings from Disney’s licensees, authors, and artists, including playing the latest games from Disney, Pixar, Marvel and Star Wars, immersing themselves in the pavilion’s park environment of outdoor play and creativity, or watching cooking demos in the kitchen environment featuring influencers from Disney Family and Disney Publishing Worldwide. Plus, you can check out the Oh My Disney Stage, where you can find celebrity guests, panels, performances, game shows, toy unboxings, and first looks, all weekend long.

https://d23.com/marvel-ous-experiences- ... -d23-expo/
https://d23.com/walt-disney-animation-s ... -d23-expo/
https://d23.com/galaxy-stories-disney-p ... -d23-expo/
https://d23.com/see-walt-disney-archive ... -schedule/
https://d23.com/celebrate-20-years-of-h ... -d23-expo/
https://d23.com/kingdom-hearts-iii-grav ... -d23-expo/
D82
Signature Collection

Re: D23 Expo 2017

Post by D82 »

Thanks for putting together this chronological list of all the different panels and events, blackcauldron85! Some of them seem really interesting. I hope I can go to a D23 expo someday.
blackcauldron85

You're welcome!!!! I wish that I could go, too. At least a lot of the info from the panels ends up online. :ears:
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

blackcauldron85 wrote:At least a lot of the info from the panels ends up online. :ears:
Yes, that's true. :D
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

kinda funny that they describe Hercules as a "fan-favorite" film. In comic book speak that usually means characters or comics that audiences like more than the company who owns them does. :P
RyGuy
Special Edition

Post by RyGuy »

Thanks blackcauldron85 for assembling this. Very helpful. I was having a hard time piecing the schedule together from the information D23 has put out online and you did a fantastic job! I will be there all 3 days. I'm not sure how many panels I will get to but I will recap as much as I can.

I definitely plan to go to the Zorro Panel and the WDAS and Pixar animation panel. I'm torn between the Marceline panel and the Olaf's Frozen Adventure panel. I don't think I can hit both.

I may also try to get to the princess panel and definitely want to get to the Kiss Goodnight panel. On Sunday, probably only the Disney maps panel.

I want to leave some time for the non-panel stuff because the last time I went to D23, I didn't really get to see any of that.
blackcauldron85

You're welcome!!! I'm super-jealous-- have loads of fun!!!! :banana:
blackcauldron85

Disney Store Announces Exclusives, New-Items, and Collectibles Available at D23 Expo
http://www.laughingplace.com/w/news/201 ... -d23-expo/
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

they are making dolls for Robin Hood, Pinocchio and new ones for Moana!

also its weird that they are labeling Robin Hood as a fairy tale, wouldn't it fit better under folk tale?
blackcauldron85

Disney Villains Stamps to Debut at D23 Expo

ABC Announces Once Upon a Time and Celebrity Family Feud is Coming to D23 Expo
blackcauldron85

D23 Expo reveals schedule for Disney Studios mega-presentations!
(Includes a Lion King panel!!)
http://thedisneyblog.com/2017/06/28/d23 ... entations/

*edit*
Here's the full schedule!!
Full D23 Expo 2017 schedule revealed as Disney’s biggest fan event approaches
http://www.insidethemagic.net/2017/06/f ... pproaches/
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

Does anybody know if the John Lasseter presentation is gonna be live streamed anywhere? I'm willing to watch anything.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

rodrigo_ca wrote:Does anybody know if the John Lasseter presentation is gonna be live streamed anywhere?
Nope. They aren't allowing any recording devices inside for this presentation.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

:'( :cry:
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

It's always been like this though. Not just this year.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

Forgetful mind hahaha
RyGuy
Special Edition

Post by RyGuy »

I am in queue for this right now. I will try to report back with as much as I can remember while it is fresh in my head!
RyGuy
Special Edition

Post by RyGuy »

Kristen Bell, Josh Gad, Sarah Silverman, all of the voices of the Disney princesses that still are alive (except Idina Mendel) Craig T Nelson, Holly Hunter, Samuel Jackson and Benjamin Bratt all were at the panel.

Not sure what else I can say that the media tweets didn't report.

No mention whatsoever of Gigantic though.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Here are a pair of live blogs from the animation presentation:

Live Updates from the D23 Disney Animation Panel!
http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/featur ... tion-panel

The Latest from Disney and Pixar Animation at D23 Expo (Live Blog)
http://nerdist.com/the-latest-from-disn ... live-blog/
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Highligts from the Disney and Pixar animation presentation:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxhcLRS5TWI[/youtube]