The Hunchback of Notre Dame (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

The Hunchback of Notre Dame (Live-Action)

Post by Sotiris »

I'm not sure if this means anything, but...
Q: What about a Hercules or a Hunchback remake?

Alan Menken: Possibly, I can’t say anything yet but I think Hunchback would make an amazing live action musical.
Source: http://www.nme.com/blogs/the-movies-blo ... st-2115930

Producer Roy Conli would like to see a live-action Hunchback too.
Q: Is there a Disney animated film, yours or otherwise, that you would really love to see live-action, and why?

Roy Conli: [...] They’ve done an amazing musical version of The Hunchback of Notre Dame that played actually in Germany, that’s great. It’s a musical, that’s one of my favorite scores.
Source: http://collider.com/roy-conli-interview ... -hearts-3/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Re: Hunchback Live-Action Remake?

Post by PatrickvD »

Fingers crossed. And no need for new songwriters. Stephen Schwartz is just fine.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Well, if Disney actually planned to remake this in live action, it would've been a pretty darn bold move. Since they've pretty much swept Hunchback under the rug and given it little attention, it would've been a huge leap to them to actually remake it. To say it the least.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I wonder what hot new thing Disney will ditch Schwartz for? Hmm.... Why not give Adele a go? She's well-known, probably looking for ways to get her EGOT, and has a lyrical style that's as much like Hunchback as Miranda's is The Little Mermaid. I know if I saw a poster of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Music by Alan Menken and Lyrics by Adele," that would be must-see for me. :up:
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
jazzflower92
Anniversary Edition

Post by jazzflower92 »

Give how many live action adaptions the Hunchback has had, I do think this could work.
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

Not exactly my favorite movie, and not a single catching song in my opinion, but I know there are others who like it. If they do make it as live action, why not just skip the whole musical thing? And no goat as a sidekick. Also no talking statues. Since it seems like it is all in his mind, it is probably meant to show that he is so lonely that his imagination makes up his own friends. But one could show him talk to the statues without them moving or answering back (if it was a fantasy it wouldn't be any problem, it's not).
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Here's hoping. This is my number one choice for a live-action film. This followed by Tarzan and a proper adaptation of Sleeping Beauty.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Rumpelstiltskin wrote:Not exactly my favorite movie, and not a single catching song in my opinion, but I know there are others who like it. If they do make it as live action, why not just skip the whole musical thing? And no goat as a sidekick. Also no talking statues. Since it seems like it is all in his mind, it is probably meant to show that he is so lonely that his imagination makes up his own friends. But one could show him talk to the statues without them moving or answering back (if it was a fantasy it wouldn't be any problem, it's not).
It has to have the music, as that is mainly what sets Disney's apart from other adaptations of Hunchback. And the music is beloved. The gargoyles could easily act alive but we see that it's just in his mind, just like when we see people's dreams and what else is going on in there mind and such in other movies. It doesn't have to be a fantasy. Think of A Beautiful Mind.
JeanGreyForever wrote:Here's hoping. This is my number one choice for a live-action film. This followed by Tarzan and a proper adaptation of Sleeping Beauty.
You mean your number one choice for a live-action film that hasn't been made yet, or at all?
jazzflower92
Anniversary Edition

Post by jazzflower92 »

Disney Duster wrote:
Rumpelstiltskin wrote:Not exactly my favorite movie, and not a single catching song in my opinion, but I know there are others who like it. If they do make it as live action, why not just skip the whole musical thing? And no goat as a sidekick. Also no talking statues. Since it seems like it is all in his mind, it is probably meant to show that he is so lonely that his imagination makes up his own friends. But one could show him talk to the statues without them moving or answering back (if it was a fantasy it wouldn't be any problem, it's not).
It has to have the music, as that is mainly what sets Disney's apart from other adaptations of Hunchback. And the music is beloved. The gargoyles could easily act alive but we see that it's just in his mind, just like when we see people's dreams and what else is going on in there mind and such in other movies. It doesn't have to be a fantasy. Think of A Beautiful Mind.
JeanGreyForever wrote:Here's hoping. This is my number one choice for a live-action film. This followed by Tarzan and a proper adaptation of Sleeping Beauty.
You mean your number one choice for a live-action film that hasn't been made yet, or at all?
You have to keep Dali, because he actually was in the original books.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

jazzflower92 wrote:Give how many live action adaptions the Hunchback has had, I do think this could work.
But never one from Disney, besides the animated feature. So Disney would be in hot waters.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

The film without music would not work just as Disney's Beauty and the Beast would not work without music. I would keep Djali. She's in the books and she would sell plushes to the kids.
ImageImage
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Djali's inclusion makes perfect sense, since he was in the novel after all.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yea, keep the goat in, too.
REINIER
Anniversary Edition

Post by REINIER »

No chance in Hellfire right? The only movie I would like Tim Burton to direct....instead of ruining Dumbo like he did Alice in Wonderland..
When it comes to brains, I got the lion-share,
but when it comes to bruth strength, I'm afraid I'm at the shallow end of the gene pool
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

^I dunno, it's very little fantastical to fully work with Burton's "whimsy" way of doing films. The closest parallel he could do is make it ala Sweeney Todd, but even then that's missing something to fully work well.

Maybe it could work with Guillermo del Toro but I don't know if it's really his style, but he mashes much better horror/dark period than other directors, even with a bit of fantasy if they wanna put the gargoyles or "Disney touch". I don't know if he's ever directed musicals tho.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Maybe now that Netflix is producing an adaptation, Disney will finally realize that Hunchback is actually popular and make their own live-action film.

Idris Elba To Direct & Star In ‘The Hunchback of Notre Dame’ Retelling From Netflix
http://deadline.com/2018/05/idris-elba- ... 202396788/
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

With Idris Elba involved, it might actually do well, too, which will make it more likely Disney will be inspired to do their own adaptation.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I'm excited for this. I've been hearing speculation about various Hunchback adaptations in the works so I'm glad one has finally been greenlighted. Hope Disney takes note.
ImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

When talking about the live-action remakes of Aladdin and The Little Mermaid, Menken said there are talks about bringing more of his animated films into the live-action realm. Do you think he was referring to Hunchback? There aren't a lot left. There's Pocahontas (which Disney wouldn't dare touch now because of the potential backlash), there's Hercules (which I doubt they'd remake at this time because of the upcoming stage adaptation), there's Home on the Range (could you imagine? :lol:), and there's Tangled (which I think is too recent to remake). My money's on Hunchback.
Q: Are you having fun doing so much revisiting? Are you eager to get some time to work on new original projects?

Alan Menken: Yes, yes—I’m answering the second question. I’m eager to go new, and I have new, here and there. BUT, I’m also blessed that people keep wanting to go back to the old. One of my animated musicals is being adapted to the stage now. It will be announced soon, but I can’t share it yet! It’s Mermaid coming, it’s Disenchanted which is coming along. Apparently another adaptation of Little Shop of Horrors is coming along. We’re talking about a lot of other animated [films] that I think are going to come to the screen. So yeah, there’s a lot going on.

Q: So I guess the problem is really that you were just too good from the start—no time for anything new because everyone wants you to keep redoing the same great stuff we all know and love!

Alan Menken: [Laughs.] I guess so. But, I get to write new songs and work with new people and that’s always a lot of fun.
Source: https://makeitbetter.net/entertainment/ ... l-miranda/
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Probably that would be Hunchback then so this sounds promising. Besides Hercules getting a stage adaptation, all other live-action films for it in recent years have flopped big time so I doubt Disney would be interested in pursuing it. I'd love for Menken to be describing Pocahontas as well but that's a bigger pipe dream than Hunchback at this point.
ImageImage