The lack of a summer release for a Disney animated feature.

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

The lack of a summer release for a Disney animated feature.

Post by DisneyFan09 »

For us who remember the heydays of Disney prior to Pixar's age, we'll remember that their animated features (starting with The Lion King) had their annual summer release. When Pixar started out, they had their annual Thanksgiving release, but all of that changed with Finding Nemo in 2003 (of course we could always summarize which films had a summer/fall release or whatnot, but that's not the point of this discussion, haha). It's rhetorical to summarize why, due to how Pixar was increasing their reputation and Disney decreasing. But now that Disney has made a name for themselves again, they haven't had a summer release for their animated features. Heck, though Pixar still has their annual summer release, they'll still keeping the Thanksgiving slot for some of their films. But now that Disney have gotten back on their track, shouldn't they been able to have a summer release?

I personally think they should. I miss the time when Disney animated features were summer events and were released on the summer. Though I'm not implying that I'm completely against the Thanksgiving slot, I still miss the summer slot. What do you guys say?
kbehm29
Anniversary Edition

Re: The lack of a summer release for a Disney animated featu

Post by kbehm29 »

It is always really hard for me to budget going to the movies with my large family over Thanksgiving or Christmas. I would much prefer at least one of them to be released in the summer. We missed Moana because I didn't have the money at the time. Of course, I bought the blu-ray the day it came out and now love it :)
Disneyland Trips: 1983, 1992, 1995, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2016, Aug 2018
Walt Disney World Trips: 1999, 2007, 2011, 2014, 2016, ~Dec 2018~, ~Apr 2019~
Favorite Disney Movies: Peter Pan, 101 Dalmatians, Tangled, The Princess and the Frog, Enchanted, FROZEN
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

OK, thanks for answering.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

I understand the nostalgia but from a business perspective it makes little sense anymore. Summer is overcrowded with movies and audiences are more and more leaning towards unconventional and less in-your-face movies during these months. Spring and fall offer opportunities for Disney to create their own tent poles. And it works, as competition is avoiding going head to head with them.

Zootopia made a billion in February. I doubt Cars 3 will be able to pull that off this summer.

Not considering the financial side, I have to say I prefer a more spread out movie year. I hope the Oscar movies will eventually also be spread out over the year instead of be crammed in December/January.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

Im old enough to remember when the norm was for them to be holiday season event releases(starting with Oliver & Company in 1988 and ending with TNBC 1993). Lion King was the first to switch to summer release b/c the film had to be pushed back due to its story problems.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

What you are talking about is the reality of modern Disney. With at least one, now soon two, Marvel films in the summer, and a PIXAR film and one live action film under the Disney banner, there isn't as much space for animated Disney anymore that time of the year. As it is, Star Wars has been moved from normally a May release to December now that its under the Disney umbrella. With Disney's blockbuster mentality and buying up non-Disney franchises, this trend is not surprising.

In the case of Moana, I really feel it should have been released in the summer last year and BFG should have been the Thanksgiving film. I bet both would have done better than they ended up doing had that switch been made IMO.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

milojthatch wrote:In the case of Moana, I really feel it should have been released in the summer last year and BFG should have been the Thanksgiving film. I bet both would have done better than they ended up doing had that switch been made IMO.
Agreed. Due to it's tropical premise, a summer release would've made perfect sense (Lilo & Stitch, anyone?).
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

Pixar films are often considered funny, light-hearted, and such, so they're perfect for the laid-backness of summer (not often, but that's the idea).

Whereas Disney always pushes for the more epic stories, family attractive stories, the "feels", which makes sense to push the films close to Christmas, so people feel more emotional about things.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

thedisneyspirit wrote:Pixar films are often considered funny, light-hearted, and such, so they're perfect for the laid-backness of summer (not often, but that's the idea).

Whereas Disney always pushes for the more epic stories, family attractive stories, the "feels", which makes sense to push the films close to Christmas, so people feel more emotional about things.
With that logic, explain The Good Dinosaur?
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

I have not seen that film and I can't remember when did it come out.

No need to be so passive aggressive when my initial comment wasn't even that douchey.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

thedisneyspirit wrote:Pixar films are often considered funny, light-hearted, and such, so they're perfect for the laid-backness of summer (not often, but that's the idea).

Hmmm....

Though I shan't object your former statement, Pixar's latest movies has been known for being deep, emotional tearjerkers. Besides, though Pixar can be lighthearted and fluffy, they can also make epic and grand stories as well.

And frankly, Disney haven't always had the epic quality either, though to be fair, their non-epic films are in minority. But if we're going to consider the non-epic films in the Revival era, the least epic films have been The Princess and the Frog, Wreck-It-Ralph and Zootopia (though the latter wasn't a Thanksgiving release).
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

thedisneyspirit wrote:I have not seen that film and I can't remember when did it come out.

No need to be so passive aggressive when my initial comment wasn't even that douchey.
No disrespect, I honesty want to hear your take on that film (a PIXAR film) being released during the holidays despite your original claim. I just want to hear your thought carried out, that's all. I'm not trying to start a fight, just better understand your thought.

The trouble with social media/chat rooms/texts/message boards is that everyone expects the worse and misunderstanding are all over the place. Frankly, I think the internet has lead to society becoming more angry, which is sad in my view. Anyways...

-Walt Disney