Favorite Disney Christmas featurette/TV special

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.

What is your favorite Disney Christmas special?

The Small One (1978)
No votes
Mickey's Christmas Carol (1983)
90%
Winnie the Pooh and Christmas Too (1991)
No votes
Prep & Landing (2009)
No votes
Prep & Landing: Naughty vs. Nice (2011)
No votes
Toy Story That Time Forgot (2014)
No votes
Olaf's Frozen Adventure (2017)
10%

Total votes: 10

D82
Signature Collection

Favorite Disney Christmas featurette/TV special

Post by D82 »

Now that Disney has made more Christmas featurettes in the latest years (the Prep & Landing TV specials, Toy Story That Time Forgot, Olaf's Frozen Adventure) and there's more to choose from, I thought it could be a good time to pick our favorite.

This is the first thread I create, so I hope I'm doing it right. Let me know if there's something wrong or if I left any Christmas special out. I've only included half-hour animated specials, but it doesn't have to be from these ones. You can select any other Disney special, short or Christmas episode that you like and say it in the comments. Also, I've created it as a poll, but you can rank them if you prefer.

My personal favorite is Mickey's Christmas Carol. I have fond memories of watching it as a child. It became like a tradition to watch it every Christmas in my family. I also think it's a good adaptation and the Disney characters are well cast in the roles (except maybe Goofy, but I think a funny character was perfect for that moment because it makes the scene less frightening for small children). And from the most recent ones, my favorite is the first Prep & Landing. I find the concept quite original and I love the characters, especially Wayne. Naughty vs. Nice is very good too, though not as much as the first, in my opinion. Olaf's Frozen Adventure was also very enjoyable and the songs are not bad, plus it has a good message, but I'm not sure yet where it would rank on my list.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Favorite Disney Christmas featurette/TV special

Post by Sotiris »

Mickey's Christmas Carol is my favorite one as well. I consider it, along with The Muppet Christmas Carol, the quintessential family adaptations of the novella.

Here's how I'd rank them. Ironically, Toy Story That Time Forgot is the most forgettable of them all.

Mickey's Christmas Carol
The Small One
Winnie the Pooh and Christmas Too
Prep & Landing
Prep & Landing: Naughty vs. Nice
Olaf's Frozen Adventure
Toy Story That Time Forgot
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Mickey's Christmas Carol and I agree that The Muppet's Christmas Carol is a great adaptation as well of the same story.

As much as I like the Toy Story special, it's barely Christmas themed at all, especially when you compare it to their Halloween special.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

Gotta give it to Mickey's Christmas Carol.

Burny Mattison should have gotten to direct more stories.
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:Ironically, Toy Story That Time Forgot is the most forgettable of them all.
I agree. I remember I was a bit disappointed when I first saw it. Toy Story of Terror was much better. And as JeanGreyForever says, it's barely Christmas themed at all.
Semaj wrote:Burny Mattison should have gotten to direct more stories.
Yes, it's a shame he hasn't been given more projects to direct. The two films in which he's a director, this one and The Great Mouse Detective, are both very good.