Opinions on Iger's Successors?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
JTurner
Gold Classic Collection

Opinions on Iger's Successors?

Post by JTurner »

Now that we know that Stoggs is stepping down, what are the positives and negatives of Iger's candidates for replacement?
Lady Cluck
Anniversary Edition

Re: Opinions on Iger's Successors?

Post by Lady Cluck »

Like most in the upper echelon of corporate power, they're all horrific narcissists with their heads up their behinds, and they'll inevitably disappoint the fans with the direction they push the company.

I certainly wouldn't get your hopes up for a "Disney savior."
LADY Image CLUCK
JTurner
Gold Classic Collection

Post by JTurner »

What about… Kathleen Kennedy? Curious.
msh1975
Gold Classic Collection

Post by msh1975 »

who ever the next person is I just hope they actually have the f****N balls to release song of the south on Blu-ray/dvd combo pack un-edited. there is nothing wrong with that movie. as far as im concerned theres plenty of movies out there that are so called racist/incorrect and not a damn word is said about it. jesse Jackson and al Sharpton can just go F themselves
JTurner
Gold Classic Collection

Post by JTurner »

msh1975 wrote:who ever the next person is I just hope they actually have the f****N balls to release song of the south on Blu-ray/dvd combo pack un-edited. there is nothing wrong with that movie. as far as im concerned theres plenty of movies out there that are so called racist/incorrect and not a damn word is said about it. jesse Jackson and al Sharpton can just go F themselves
I don't want to be "that guy", but I think there's a good reason why Disney would be afraid of releasing a movie like that in today's society. Whether intentional or not, there still are some scenes that some people may find potentially offensive. The tar baby scene, the "slaves" speaking in that exaggerated dialect, the glorification of said people working on the plantation… there are scenes that today's audiences would have a hard time swallowing, especially after Twelve Years A Slave. Seriously, after seeing that film, I couldn't look at Song of the South again.

That said, I do not think there's any justification from hiding the movie permanently from the public. Controversial though it is, the film WAS an important part of Disney's legacy from way back when, and with some narrative introductions and commentary, it would at least make the movie more playable.

The question is does Disney see the value in releasing a movie like this? Would it be a commercial success? Given how they think these days, it's hard to say.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

No new news, but Iger's getting a book deal:

Disney CEO signs retirement book deal
http://thedisneyblog.com/2016/10/18/dis ... book-deal/
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

JTurner wrote:
The question is does Disney see the value in releasing a movie like this? Would it be a commercial success? Given how they think these days, it's hard to say.
Yes, I think it would be very commercially successful? Why? Because of the controversy created by Disney not releasing the film for so long. People love controversy, and even if most people buying the film would hate it, the point is they would still by it.

If DIsney had just quietly released it 15 years ago on DVD, no one would care today.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Is Netflix Disney’s next big buy and is Reed Hastings its next CEO?
https://techcrunch.com/2016/11/13/is-ne ... -next-ceo/
(via Slashfilm.com)
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Oh, God, NO! Don't you dare screw with my Netflix. Turn your greedy eyes elsewhere.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Post by Musical Master »

Um...interesting choice?? :?
Disney, Pixar, Rodgers and Hammerstein, and Cinema fan