Newsies on Broadway

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
JiminyCrick91
Platinum Edition

Post by JiminyCrick91 »

blackcauldron85 wrote:
JiminyCrick91 wrote: that I actually got at 'How to Succeed...' the night before.
With Nick Jonas?!?! Did you meet him?!?!
So briefly it can barley be counted. :P There were so many girls pushing and such even before he came out that it was hard to get much more than a signature from anyone, even Beau Bridges who I'm sure these teenaged girls have no idea of. When he did sign my Playbill however he gave me a look that either said 'A bow tie... Nice' (as I have many and that night I wore a black one to that show before I bought the Nick Jonas H2$ one) or it may have said 'You are a dude... That's new'. Either way I found it sort of funny.

Night one of my four night trip I saw Peter & the Starcatcher (so did Michel Urie from How to Succeed, and Ugly Betty actually, as did John Lithgow who seemed to be taking a night off from his still packed, across the street, show ‘The Columnist’ .) and that cast was super cool. There were not that many of us for that so there was not even a gate or anything it was just a small group of us waiting for the company who spend loads of time with us. Celia Keenan-Bolger, for one, who is Andrew from Newsies's Tony nominated sister is about the sweetest person ever. She plays Molly in that show and seemed like she genuinely wanted to talk to everybody who saw it for hours and give us all hugs. Plus it did not hurt that I'm from about a half hour away from her home town, I was seeing her brother's show later in the week, and that was my FIRST Broadway show causing her sweetness to amplify even more. :P

The last night was Nice Work If You Can Get It. Some people went by without signing stuff, others went by after a few people, It seemed like only about three or four people made sure everybody who wanted to see them did, one of whom was Matthew Broderick who was visibly tired and seemed even a tad confused by the way the mob was working but plastered on a professional smile and was very gracious. I do not have any cast pictures from nights one or two because I didn't think of it until night two which was much too busy but I do have a picture with Mr. Broderick.

-Skyler
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Omg, you met Simba!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And haha @ Nick! He probably was happy about you being a guy AND the bow tie. It's like he's saying, nice style, buddy!!! :) :) :)

Gah, I am so happy for you that you had such an amazing time! I've been looking into prices and such for going this summer...not that I can afford it, but early Christmas money may have to happen. :p And there's a contest right now that ends tomorrow to win a date with Corbin Bleu and get free Godspell tickets (he's playing Jesus in that right now!), so gah, that would be super if I won!

Oh, and new Newsies video!

http://youtu.be/GbT-kHBBVgA

(For some reason, the embed code from Youtube never works anymore for me, like when I preview my post on here, there's just a blank spot...)
JiminyCrick91
Platinum Edition

Post by JiminyCrick91 »

blackcauldron85 wrote: (For some reason, the embed code from Youtube never works anymore for me, like when I preview my post on here, there's just a blank spot...)
I had that same thing last night when I was trying to post that Theater Talk show! Not sure what's up with it.

-Skyler
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

OMG! I'm getting intense! :huh: I want Newsies to win Best Musical. Once is a boring musical. The music is not strong and it doesn't look like musical. It's more like string family concert. Newsies is better than Once. I didn't see the shows because I don't live in New York. I want Disney to have revenge after what Spring Awakening did to Mary Poppins. But that was then, this is now. Of course, I'll be happy when Alan Menken receive his first Tony. But I want Newsies to win a Tony for Best Musical. If it didn't win, I will be so upset, I'll act like those girls even though I'm a guy: <iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4gdoqUuDlwE" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Sorry, it's the best I can find.
zackisthewalrus
Anniversary Edition

Post by zackisthewalrus »

TsWade2 wrote:OMG! I'm getting intense! :huh: I want Newsies to win Best Musical. Once is a boring musical. The music is not strong and it doesn't look like musical. It's more like string family concert. Newsies is better than Once. I didn't see the shows because I don't live in New York. I want Disney to have revenge after what Spring Awakening did to Mary Poppins. But that was then, this is now. Of course, I'll be happy when Alan Menken receive his first Tony. But I want Newsies to win a Tony for Best Musical. If it didn't win, I will be so upset, I'll act like those girls even though I'm a guy: <iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4gdoqUuDlwE" frameborder="0"></iframe>
To your comment about Spring Awakening beating Mary Poppins, all I'm gonna say is that I found Act I of Mary Poppins bland (although Act II is great), and Spring Awakening is one of my favorite show of the past 10 years.

I do think that Newsies should beat Once though. I would not be surprised, however, if Once takes the prize.
"No day but today."
My YouTube Channel
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

I can't exactly speak on Once's behalf because I didn't see it (but I heard from celebrities like Kristen Chenoweth and Ramin Karimloo via Twitter) that it was amazing.

And I certainly can't speak on Newsies' behalf either because I never saw the show, but plan to with my older sister when I come to NYC mid-July to visit her. However, the cast recording is quite promising and the movie was awesome. So I certainly hope this show and Alan get their well-deserved Tonys.

Off-topic: But seriously, why is PatrickVD's icon in the emoticon thingy? :?
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

zackisthewalrus wrote:
TsWade2 wrote:OMG! I'm getting intense! :huh: I want Newsies to win Best Musical. Once is a boring musical. The music is not strong and it doesn't look like musical. It's more like string family concert. Newsies is better than Once. I didn't see the shows because I don't live in New York. I want Disney to have revenge after what Spring Awakening did to Mary Poppins. But that was then, this is now. Of course, I'll be happy when Alan Menken receive his first Tony. But I want Newsies to win a Tony for Best Musical. If it didn't win, I will be so upset, I'll act like those girls even though I'm a guy: <iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4gdoqUuDlwE" frameborder="0"></iframe>
To your comment about Spring Awakening beating Mary Poppins, all I'm gonna say is that I found Act I of Mary Poppins bland (although Act II is great), and Spring Awakening is one of my favorite show of the past 10 years.

I do think that Newsies should beat Once though. I would not be surprised, however, if Once takes the prize.
Newsies is going to win. It better be! :evil:
JiminyCrick91
Platinum Edition

Post by JiminyCrick91 »

TsWade2 wrote:Newsies is going to win. It better be! :evil:
I've been rooting for them for months myself but you may be a little too crazed in this. It's not like not getting the Tony will close it or be the deciding factor on if it tours or not. It's a great show and will remain a great show with or without the spinning shine of a Tony near by. All we can really do it say 'Aww shucks' if 'Once' wins and maybe see what all the fuss is about when it tours or we are next in NY. Theatre can be catty but this is not something to get overly pissed about even though we are fans. Hell, even if we were actors in the show as an actor I know I can't be bitter about it. Say 'Aww shucks' and move on is what I try to do with a lot of disappointing things in life. It does not always work but it's a lot more healthy.

-Skyler
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

JiminyCrick91 wrote:
TsWade2 wrote:Newsies is going to win. It better be! :evil:
I've been rooting for them for months myself but you may be a little too crazed in this. It's not like not getting the Tony will close it or be the deciding factor on if it tours or not. It's a great show and will remain a great show with or without the spinning shine of a Tony near by. All we can really do it say 'Aww shucks' if 'Once' wins and maybe see what all the fuss is about when it tours or we are next in NY. Theatre can be catty but this is not something to get overly pissed about even though we are fans. Hell, even if we were actors in the show as an actor I know I can't be bitter about it. Say 'Aww shucks' and move on is what I try to do with a lot of disappointing things in life. It does not always work but it's a lot more healthy.

-Skyler
Oh allright. Although I didn't say Once is a bad show or controversial like Spring Awakening. If Alan Menken get his Tony which will most likley going to happen, than I'll be happy.
Last edited by TsWade2 on Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

ALAN MENKIN WON THE TONY AWARDS FOR BEST SCORE!

Sorry, I'm a little excited!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Looks like Once won Best Musical. My reaction?

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ALdfevUs3LA?rel=0" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Okay, I might be overreacting, but I kind of wanted Newsies to win, despite not seeing it yet.
DancingCrab
Anniversary Edition

Post by DancingCrab »

TsWade2 wrote:Newsies is better than Once. I didn't see the shows because I don't live in New York.
..........how interesting.
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

Newsies didn't win Best Musical?! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: <iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4xzR9tyWk3I" frameborder="0"></iframe>

But, on the lighter note, Alan Menken finally got his first Tony Award! YAY! :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: <iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ICupK3KZwFY" frameborder="0"></iframe>
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

If you haven't the show Once, you shouldn't complain because for all you know, you could like it more. It's like if I became upset at Meryl Streep winning the Oscar this year, even though I haven't seen The Iron Lady.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

estefan wrote:If you haven't the show Once, you shouldn't complain because for all you know, you could like it more. It's like if I became upset at Meryl Streep winning the Oscar this year, even though I haven't seen The Iron Lady.
I don't mean to be rude. It's just that, Disney hasn't won a Tony Award for Best Musical since The Lion King won for Best Musical. And it's been a longtime. Once is not really a bad or controversia show, I just think Theatre politics is hating Disney so much.
Last edited by TsWade2 on Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

Hey guys! Great news! Even though it didn't win a Tony Award for Best Musical, but I just found out that Newsies won a Broadway.com Audience Choice Award and Broadwayworld.com Award for Best Musical.

Here are the proofs: http://broadwayworld.com/article/2012-B ... e-20120606

and another: http://www.broadway.com/buzz/161818/new ... announced/

You know, after looking at those two Audience choice awards makes me feel better.
JiminyCrick91
Platinum Edition

Post by JiminyCrick91 »

I'm not sure how long Jeremy Jordan's contract is with the show but he has now signed on two be one of three series regulars that will replace Jaime Cepero (Ellis, the smarmy assistant), Raza Jaffrey (Dev, Katharine McPhee's Jealous boyfriend), Brian D’Arcy James (Frank, Debra Messing's husband) and Will Chase (Michael Swift, Debra Messing's on/off actor lover). Jordan will play 'a very sexy (and straight) Brooklyn-born singer with a self-destructive streak.'

This is very interesting considering Christian Borle will be leaving Peter & The Starcatcher some time in July if the casting notice for a new Black Stache is right. They must have Jordan at least until the date of the second extension in August, no?

http://tvline.com/2012/06/14/smash-jeremy-jordan/

-Skyler
zackisthewalrus
Anniversary Edition

Post by zackisthewalrus »

Just got back from seeing the show. Wow! What an experience! In my honest opinion, I think the movie is just okay. The show exceeded so many of my expectations. The performances were incredible, and the script for the show overall works so much better than the film. I thoroughly recommend seeing it if you're in NYC.
"No day but today."
My YouTube Channel
xxhplinkxx
Collector's Edition

Post by xxhplinkxx »

I saw Newsies on Broadway two nights ago and all I can say is... wow! It was freaking awesome! I knew I was going to love it but not as much as I did! The dances were amazing, the entire cast works so well together, the music, of course, is incredible. I cried twice! I just couldn't keep it together during Santa Fe! Jeremy Jordan wasn't doing the show, I actually was there on the Corey Cott's first night as Jack Kelly and he knocked it out of the park! Here's a few pics

The marquee outside

Waiting for the show to start

Got my Playbill signed by the cast!

Me with Corey Cott "Jack Kelly"

"Hip hop frightens you, doesn't it....Hmmm...Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate. Hate leads to endlessly posting threads about stupid white people. Hmmmmm....."

I love Siren!
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

That's awesome! I adore the soundtrack, the music is phenomenal. Even the new songs.