The Lion King (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

The Lion King (Live-Action)

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Re: Disney's Live Action "The Lion King"

Post by Wonderlicious »

:roll:

I can sorta accept remakes for films set in human worlds, but given that there aren't any human characters at all in The Lion King, wouldn't a "live-action remake" basically be an animated remake?
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

We have officially reached peak remake ridiculousness. What's next? Bambi?

Remember when Eisner wanted to remake the studio's 2D animated movies in CG? Well, it took a while but it's finally happening.

I would be more open to a film adaptation of the Broadway musical with humans involved but I really don't want a fully CG-animated Lion King with the unappealing quasi-photorealistic designs and uncanny valley-ish animation that was used in The Jungle Book.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Wonderlicious wrote::roll:

I can sorta accept remakes for films set in human worlds, but given that there aren't any human characters at all in The Lion King, wouldn't a "live-action remake" basically be an animated remake?
Exactly why I was hoping Disney would avoid this. Cinderella, Jungle Book, Alice, and Maleficent were remakes of the animated movie. This is a 100% remake of the animated movie.
Sotiris wrote:We have officially reached peak remake ridiculousness. What's next? Bambi?
100% agreed. And just wait for it.
Sotiris wrote:Remember when Eisner wanted to remake the studio's 2D animated movies in CG? Well, it took a while but it's finally happening.
That was my first thought exactly. It seems like Disney is trying to replace the beloved movies with live-action that are "cool" and "hip," especially what they're going to do with TLM. Disney is becoming a sell-out. :down:
Sotiris wrote:I would be more open to a film adaptation of the Broadway musical with humans involved.
I used to want that, but thinking about, it would be awkward. Not as awkward as this though.
ce1ticmoon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ce1ticmoon »

Wonderlicious wrote:I can sorta accept remakes for films set in human worlds, but given that there aren't any human characters at all in The Lion King, wouldn't a "live-action remake" basically be an animated remake?
Well, if you notice, the text from the official press release actually says nothing of it being live-action... That's a term that the people reporting the story are using, but the press release simply calls it a "reimagining," also emphasizing that it follows the "technologically groundbreaking" Jungle Book. That possibly points to Disney being well aware that this couldn't be considered a "live-action" remake, and that the focus will be on the effects/CGI used in TJB.

But yeah, I can't see the appeal in this either. I haven't seen TJB, and while I thought the animation in the trailer was generally very impressive, I agree that it does seem to enter the uncanny valley once the animals start taking and the unrealistic mouth animation is coupled with the realistic animal designs. I still really have no desire to see it, even with how well it was received, though I will probably see it eventually.

And you can bet Bambi will be coming somewhere down the line... :lol: :huh:
Warm Regards
Special Edition

Post by Warm Regards »

If this were to be a live action remake with //human// variants of the characters, then sure, sign me up.

I have little interest in seeing all CG animals in a buffet of visual effects.

Who cares if the trees look real, or if the animals have detailed fur? It's putting concern over the wrong things.

Plus at least Bambi is an older property that, one can argue, can benefit from some resurgence with a remake. (Knock on wood, don't let it be.)

The Lion King has always been a sizable property that never became obscure in the 20+ years of it's existence. So, eh...

Also, tangential point from the article:
Translated into eight different languages, its 23 global productions have been seen by more than 85 million people across every continent except Antarctica
Guys, I have a business idea! :lol:
Tristy
Special Edition

Post by Tristy »

disneyprincess11 wrote:Well...who didn't see this coming?

http://www.insidethemagic.net/2016/09/a ... n-favreau/

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDGyPRr9-AE[/youtube]

But seriously guys. Enough is enough.

Oh and one other thing I want to emphasize towards Disney in regards to the movie that started this trend:

ALICE IN WONDERLAND STARTED OFF AS A BOOK!!! IT DIDN'T START OFF WITH THE MOVIE!!!
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

dammit! I really didnt want this one to happen. :angry:
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Sotiris wrote:We have officially reached peak remake ridiculousness. What's next? Bambi?
I think we already crossed that threshold with the Dumbo re-make.

I actually got the live-action TJB in the mail just an hour ago, so I can finally watch it. But even not having seen it yet, carrying over the same director from TJB is probably a good idea considering how well-received that film was. I hope they include "Shadowlands," "He Lives in You," and "Endless Night" from the musical. I love "The Madness of King Scar," too, but they probably will want Scar to be as serious as possible in a live-action version, and it wouldn't fit with that take on him.

So, of the '90s, we have live-action versions of TLM, B&tB, Aladdin (and the Genies prequel), TLK, and Mulan coming. I'm sure Disney will do Tarzan, too (if they still have the rights); they'll just wait until time has forgotten that Tarzan film made this past year by another studio, which won't take too long. Maybe eventually we'll also get Ursula/The Sea Witch to go with Maleficent and Cruella. I know it will never happen, but I would like Pocahontas and Hercules re-makes that were more similar to the actual legend and myth (with maybe a few of the animated films' songs tacked on).
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

I guess Eisner gets the last laugh anyway.... Toy Story 4.... CGI Lion King...

Disney is rapidly approaching the uninspided age of Cinderella 2. The difference is the budget and ultimately the quality.

Yuck.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Well well. It took some longer time than expected, but I saw this coming. But it would've been a suprise if they didn't made this. An acquaintance of mine mentioned that he would've liked to see this version of The Lion King and now his dream will come true.

Let's hope that it will be good. The animation will be decent and the movie will bear a certain homage and resemblance to it's hand drawn counterpart.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

All I have to say is one thing:

Disney and Favreau? Don't you dare screw this up for us! :evil:
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I would have liked this better if it was actually live-action and about a human kingdom or tribe. But otherwise, I'm kinda excited for this especially since the makers did such a good job on The Jungle Book.

Now there's really no excuse not to make Pocahontas and Hunchback.
Disney's Divinity wrote:So, of the '90s, we have live-action versions of TLM, B&tB, Aladdin (and the Genies prequel), TLK, and Mulan coming. I'm sure Disney will do Tarzan, too (if they still have the rights); they'll just wait until time has forgotten that Tarzan film made this past year by another studio, which won't take too long.
Disney hasn't had the rights for Tarzan for several years now, but I hope they do get them back, not just to make a live-action movie, but also to give their original Tarzan more love.
Last edited by JeanGreyForever on Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

From a financial sense, Disney would be crazy not to. From a creative sense, this current trend of making remakes of their animated films really feels like the end of Disney's creative rope. What the hey are they going to do in 20 years?! I fear the trend that comes next from them!
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

milojthatch wrote:From a financial sense, Disney would be crazy not to. From a creative sense, this current trend of making remakes of their animated films really feels like the end of Disney's creative rope. What the hey are they going to do in 20 years?! I fear the trend that comes next from them!
Make remakes of the remakes. :wink:
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

I welcome this news as I see it as one step closer (on a long road) to getting live action remakes of the movies I would really like to see: Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame and Hercules. I only hope the fairytale/remake trend will last long enough for Disney to come to Pocahontas, Hunchback and Hercules. (Would also like to see Aladdin and Mulan, but it seems like that is already in motion. I only hope Disney will follow through with these projects.)

Since this will be featuring original songs from the original classic, I would hope for them to include the best songs from the Broadway musical: Shadowland, Endless Night and He Lives In You. But seeing how they skipped all the Broadway songs from Beauty and the Beast and instead decided to write a couple of new songs to add to the original songs, I don't think Disney will add any of the Lion King Broadway songs to this remake.
Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful
Tristy
Special Edition

Post by Tristy »

milojthatch wrote:From a financial sense, Disney would be crazy not to. From a creative sense, this current trend of making remakes of their animated films really feels like the end of Disney's creative rope. What the hey are they going to do in 20 years?! I fear the trend that comes next from them!
Well, they could make more films that are more original and not remakes of their own films. I mean look at how successful John Carter, Tomorrowland and The BFG. Oh! :smack: :smack: Silly me! I forgot. Those didn't do well at the box office!
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

Tristy wrote:
Well, they could make more films that are more original and not remakes of their own films. I mean look at how successful John Carter, Tomorrowland and The BFG. Oh! :smack: :smack: Silly me! I forgot. Those didn't do well at the box office!
From the 1950's to the 1990's, Disney had a slew of original films that did very well at the box office, so your point is invalid. It's all about how much they spend and what the project is.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
Tangled
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Tangled »

I think that people undermine how much the film industry has changed since the 90s. People buy familiar films now because if they were looking for something unique they'd simply watch Youtube or Netflix. Gone are the days of dropping money on a movie ticket "just to try an original story out", since there are so many alternatives to seeing a movie in theatres nowadays. The main exceptions are either original CGI-animated films from reputable studios or films with a lot of Oscar-buzz. Otherwise, people like paying to see things that they already have invested time into, be it a sequel, reboot, or part of some huge canon a la Marvel.

It's the same reason why Disney has only built rides based on movies at Walt Disney World and Disneyland in the last decade. Popular IPs have power. Disney probably assumes that people don't have enough time to learn new stories or characters, so they just want their favorite stories to continue. Which is a shame, because if Disney never took risks on original stories, we'd never have The Lion King in the first place. They would have probably used all their valuable resources on Pocahontas.

Still, despite all that, I guess I'm just indifferent. I'm so used to Disney announcing reboots that I feel no nostalgic emotional attachment anymore. I understand how The Jungle Book (2016) may have improved upon The Jungle Book (1969), but I honestly struggle to see how Disney would attempt to improve The Lion King and its sheer impact. Like, I honestly couldn't imagine The Circle of Life being done any better. If it were an adaptation of the musical, however, that I could completely get behind. I could also imagine them just taking out all of the dialogue and musical numbers and attempting to emulate a nature documentary, but I can't imagine that going down well with most Lion King fans.
Tristy
Special Edition

Post by Tristy »

milojthatch wrote:
Tristy wrote: Well, they could make more films that are more original and not remakes of their own films. I mean look at how successful John Carter, Tomorrowland and The BFG. Oh! :smack: :smack: Silly me! I forgot. Those didn't do well at the box office!
From the 1950's to the 1990's, Disney had a slew of original films that did very well at the box office, so your point is invalid. It's all about how much they spend and what the project is.

I guess I should have been more specific. I meant the films they're doing nowadays.