Star Wars: The Last Jedi

All topics on all things Lucasfilm.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Re: Star Wars Episode VIII

Post by Kyle »

JeanGreyForever wrote:I wonder if they'll kill her off in this film or kill her off in the next one, maybe using some unused footage or telling us about her death rather than showing us (like in the opening scrawl).
There are more ways to write a character off than killing you know. They might think of something clever.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Kyle wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:I wonder if they'll kill her off in this film or kill her off in the next one, maybe using some unused footage or telling us about her death rather than showing us (like in the opening scrawl).
There are more ways to write a character off than killing you know. They might think of something clever.
You mean like what they did with Han? There's no way they can explain Leia's absence from the plotline, except for her being dead. Frankly anything else (like she's taking a sabbatical) would be a disservice to the fans.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

The first reactions from the people who have already seen the film are quite positive:

‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ Early Buzz: A Surprising, Funny and Jaw-Dropping Sequel
http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-the- ... ng-sequel/
WillytheDino
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WillytheDino »

I saw the movie a couple of days ago and it was amazing.
An improvement from episode VII.
'All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.' - Walt Disney
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

This was easily my favorite Star Wars film since the original trilogy. It had some weaknesses and the first act was clunky but once it got going it was incredible.

So much love for this film. Visually it was an absolute sight to behold. 9/10
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I just came back from seeing this-- it was sooo good! Spoilers below:

I cried when Luke 'died'- I wasn't expecting that. I was very upset with Rey for a good chunk of the film-- for my husband and I, at least, nothing was predictible. Like w/ Laura Dern's character- good twist. I have been shipping Rey and Finn for 2 years; I like Rose, I really do, but I'm conflicted! I really wonder how Leia will be explained in Ep. 9. I loved the Porgs from the first time I saw them-- they did not disappoint! but I wanted more Chewie/Porg time! And I thought that BB-9E would have at least a little bigger of a role.

I thought it was edge-of-my-seat awesome, and I just can't wait to see it again, and I want the next chapter!!!!
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

I found it rather mediocre if not outright bad. Bloated, at least 30 minutes too long, excruciatingly slow at times, with plot points and plot twists that didn't go anywhere, wasted characters, and some really bad attempts at humor. The only reason it gets a passing grade from me are Luke and Rey / Kylo Ren and Snoke scenes. I thought The Force Awakens was underwhelming, but I would take another TFA over this.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Absolutely loved it!!! I've loved all the new films (Force Awakens, Rogue One), but this one was even more amazing which I didn't think was possible. Even with the increased running time, I didn't want the film to end and I'm desperately waiting for the next film now. Unlike the last two films, I decided this time to not read the spoilers so I could be surprised for once in the theaters, which was no easy task after seeing how divisive this film has been, but I'm glad that I didn't know what to expect. I loved the Porgs and the audience seemed to love them as well. There were many claps especially towards the end. The humor was not overused at all, despite what some people said, and the audience seemed to be in agreement with me on that.
I'm surprised we didn't see more of BB-9E as well considering how prominent he was in the marketing and especially toys. I also thought Phasma would have a bigger role but I completely forgot about her until she showed up right at the end. I was pleasantly surprised that Snoke was killed off so soon. Wasn't expecting that at all. I heard a lot of complaints about Rose so I was wary of her initially, but I'm not sure what the complaints are about. She was a great character as well. The kiss was the one thing I spoiled for myself and I'm not sure either whether I like Rose better with Finn or Rey, or for that matter, Rey with Finn or Ben. The scenes with Rey, Luke, and Ben were especially captivating. I also loved that before Leia's death, we were able to see her use her force powers for once. It was bittersweet to see the old guard die like Ackbar, Luke, and of course Leia for the next film, but I'm attached enough to the new characters that it's all right. I do hope R2 can get more of a role in the next film, since he was barely in this one. Was also surprised that Finn and Rey have no screentime except at the very end. Was glad they introduced Rey and Poe to each other though.
ImageImage
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I really do wonder what they will do between each movie with regards to Princess Leia :|
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Atlantica wrote:I really do wonder what they will do between each movie with regards to Princess Leia :|
People think there will be a time jump between this film and the next and Leia will have passed away during that time.
ImageImage
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I saw it yesterday. I think it's the best, so far. I keep wondering what will happen to Leia in the next movie.
Hogi Bear
Special Edition
Location: New Zealand - Population: 60+ Million Sheep Origin: Unknown

Post by Hogi Bear »

Well, I'm not a Star Wars fan or anything, but the box office is what interests me here, so I thought I'd throw my predictions in.

My guess after analysing Box Office numbers (US) for both The Last Jedi and The Force Awakens is:

North American Box Office: $590-630 Million ($625M for a single number)
International Box Office: $670-850 Million (hard one to judge, but maybe a multiplier of 3.5x from opening week/weekend)

This would result in a worldwide box office of $1.2 to $1.5 billion give or take. I'm going to guess $1.3 Billion.

My two cents anyway.
No signature needed - Kyoto Animation put out some beautiful animation
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

The Last Jedi has crossed the billion dollar mark internationally and has already surpassed Beauty and the Beast at the domestic box office:

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/box-o ... 202650420/
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Coming to DVD, Blu-ray, and 4K Ultra March 27th!!!:

https://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/ ... 22018-0800

"All right, just as we expected, Disney and Lucasfilm have just officially announced director Rian Johnson’s Star Wars: The Last Jedi for Blu-ray, DVD, and 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray release on 3/27, with the Digital/Movies Anywhere release set for 3/13.

Here’s something exciting for 4K fans from the press release: “This release will mark Disney’s first title available on 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray disc in both Dolby Vision™ HDR and Dolby Atmos® immersive audio, delivering consumers a transformative viewing experience.”"

"Also exciting: “Director Rian Johnson takes fans on an intimate journey into the creation of Star Wars: The Last Jedi in a feature-length documentary, explaining his unique interpretation of the Force, detailing the painstaking process of creating Snoke, and deconstructing action-packed scenes from the film such as the epic space battle and the final confrontation.”

The full list of extras on the Blu-ray versions includes The Director and the Jedi feature-length documentary, audio commentary by writer-director Rian Johnson, 2 featurettes (Balance of the Force and Andy Serkis Live! (One Night Only)), 3 scene breakdowns (including Lighting the Spark: Creating the Space Battle, Snoke and Mirrors, and Showdown on Crait), and 14 deleted scenes with introduction and optional commentary by writer-director Rian Johnson (we believe 20-30 minutes worth of material in all).

As mentioned before, audio on the 4K Ultra HD will be 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos, while the Blu-ray will feature 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio. Star Wars: The Last Jedi was also shot digitally in the ARRIRAW codec (in 2.8, 3.4, and 6.5K) and finished to a native 4K Digital Intermediate, so the title should look spectacular on UHD."

Some more details on the extras:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=22899

And the in-store exclusives:

Target:
https://www.target.com/p/x/-/A-53211599 ... &lnm=81938

Best Buy:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/star-wars- ... Id=6169016
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/star-wars- ... Id=6166202

Disney Store:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Star-Wars ... ay/199714/

Walmart:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Star-Wars ... ay/195642/
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi

There's been a lot of misinformation about Disney's take on Star Wars, particularly TLJ, so I thought I'd post some links which may illuminate the true situation more.

TLJ has gotten a lot of flack for being so divisive but most people don't realize that The Empire Strikes Back was similarly met with a lot of mixed reception when it was released. These two links chronicle some of those fan reactions.
http://www.acriticalhit.com/fans-react- ... back-1980/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MOA6aHx5mg

At the same time, TLJ audience scores were clearly tampered with and here is more information on that.
https://www.cinemablend.com/news/174582 ... ence-score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVYwqepVCY0&t=3s
ImageImage
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

My love for the movie really grew since TRoS so I decided to get the 4K steelbook. I didn't get the film on 4K back then cause I assumed they'd release a trilogy box set, but since I don't think I'll watch TRoS again, I decided to go ahead and get the steelbook since I don't think they sell it with a slipcover anymore. I might get it again with TFA if they reissue the film, which actually might be for the best cause then the slipcover will match.
I also ordered a talking porg plush that moves its wings and a BB8 that is controlled by an app.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

farerb wrote:My love for the movie really grew since TRoS so I decided to get the 4K steelbook. I didn't get the film on 4K back then cause I assumed they'd release a trilogy box set, but since I don't think I'll watch TRoS again, I decided to go ahead and get the steelbook since I don't think they sell it with a slipcover anymore. I might get it again with TFA if they reissue the film, which actually might be for the best cause then the slipcover will match.
I also ordered a talking porg plush that moves its wings and a BB8 that is controlled by an app.
Are you not interested in picking up the 4K Skywalker Saga set? I want those bonus discs.

I heard BB-8 is cheaper now that TROS is out, is that true?
ImageImage
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

JeanGreyForever wrote:
farerb wrote:My love for the movie really grew since TRoS so I decided to get the 4K steelbook. I didn't get the film on 4K back then cause I assumed they'd release a trilogy box set, but since I don't think I'll watch TRoS again, I decided to go ahead and get the steelbook since I don't think they sell it with a slipcover anymore. I might get it again with TFA if they reissue the film, which actually might be for the best cause then the slipcover will match.
Are you not interested in picking up the 4K Skywalker Saga set? I want those bonus discs.

I don't plan to buy the set because the only films I'm interested are TFA and TLJ.

I don't know what it used to cost. I bought it at $43.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

farerb wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote: Are you not interested in picking up the 4K Skywalker Saga set? I want those bonus discs.

I don't plan to buy the set because the only films I'm interested are TFA and TLJ.

I don't know what it used to cost. I bought it at $43.
That makes sense then. $250 is a waste for just two films.

That sounds like a steal. I'll have to look for something like that in stores near me.
ImageImage
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I see that's it's now $43 on Amazon, but when I bought it it was $54. I guess it depends on the store, cause I didn't buy it from Amazon, but from a third party seller who ships with Amazon.