Black Panther

All topics on all things Marvel.
Disneyphile
Special Edition

Black Panther

Post by Disneyphile »

“Creed” director Ryan Coogler is in negotiations to direct “Black Panther” for Marvel and Disney, an individual with knowledge of the situation has told TheWrap.

Marvel declined to comment.

Chadwick Boseman is set to star as T’Challa, the titular superhero from the fictional African nation of Wakanda, where parts of “Black Panther” will take place. The character will first be introduced in “Captain America: Civil War.”
https://www.thewrap.com/creeds-ryan-coo ... el-disney/
ce1ticmoon
Gold Classic Collection

Re: Marvel's "Black Panther"

Post by ce1ticmoon »

I haven't seen Fruitvale Station, but Creed was really good. I think Coogler is a great choice for this film. The reviews for Civil War are trickling in, and the reception to Chadwick Boseman's performance as T'Challa/Black Panther is very positive. I know next to nothing about this character and the movie is still two years away, but I'm really looking forward to this.
ce1ticmoon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ce1ticmoon »

Chadwick Boseman was great as Black Panther in Civil War!

Apparently Michael B. Jordan has been cast (no surprise considering he was the star in Coogler's previous two films), and Lupita Nyong'o is also in negotiations to star.

Each new piece of info makes me look forward to this film more!
ce1ticmoon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ce1ticmoon »

I'm surprised this thread hasn't had any activity for almost two years.... I know the Marvel threads don't get that much traffic, but still.

Anyway, the Rotten Tomatoes score is at 98% right now with a very high average rating. It might still go down a bit in the coming weeks, but this will probably be the best-reviewed Marvel film to date.

Every piece of news that has come out about this movie over the past couple of years has made it increasingly more promising, and I am now at peak excitement. This is definitely the most excited I've been for a Marvel movie since Civil War. The casting is amazing, the production and costume design look beautiful, and it looks like Coogler was able to inject a lot of his own style into this.

And I really love the theatrical poster. I mean, it's the usual super-busy, cramming-every-character-into-the-poster thing that Marvel has been doing since the beginning, but they usually look pretty bad. They've really been able to turn this around with Thor: Ragnarok and Black Panther.

Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I don't know if it was posted on this forum somewhere or other, but I'd read last week about Facebook recently having shut down groups that were attempting to tank the film in ratings on RottenTomatoes. Apparently because the film is about a black hero, with a majority black and female cast--let's just call it what it is. Very similar to the hate campaign against the Ghostbusters remake a year or two back because the cast was all female; they even hacked Leslie Jones and dumped private information out to the public to hurt her. The world is full of evil. Disgusting. I'm really very surprised something similar didn't happen to Wonder Woman?

Anyway, this looks amazing and one of the movies I'm most looking forward to seeing. I hope it does wonderfully period. But I'm also cheering for its success to rub the above-mentioned scum of the world's noses in it.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I don't know if it was posted on this forum somewhere or other, but I'd read last week about Facebook recently having shut down groups that were attempting to tank the film in ratings on RottenTomatoes. Apparently because the film is about a black hero, with a majority black and female cast--let's just call it what it is. Very similar to the hate campaign against the Ghostbusters remake a year or two back because the cast was all female; they even hacked Leslie Jones and dumped private information out to the public to hurt her. The world is full of evil. Disgusting. I'm really very surprised something similar didn't happen to Wonder Woman?

Anyway, this looks amazing and one of the movies I'm most looking forward to seeing. I hope it does wonderfully period. But I'm also cheering for its success to rub the above-mentioned scum of the world's noses in it.
I think after the failure of previous DC films, no one expected Wonder Woman to be good. Also a large portion of these hackers are DCU fans who despise the MCU films for succeeding. They hate Disney and believe that Disney buys off critics for writing rave reviews, which is why they attacked The Last Jedi as well.
Last edited by JeanGreyForever on Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
ce1ticmoon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ce1ticmoon »

I think I read the Facebook group thing was actually DC fan group, that wants to tank all Marvel films going forward, but I think we'd be kidding ourselves if we thought it was a coincidence that this is the first film they come out and target. I mean, I know the whole DC vs Marvel fan wars often go to unbelievable levels on the Internet (and I'm sure there are a fair share of fanboys willing to go out of their way to downvote the other side), but the whole DC fan aspect of this particular instance definitely feels like a front for something more ugly.

Regarding Wonder Woman, if you look around, there are plenty of people who are sour about its critical success and praise among general audience. Like with BP, they think that the cultural/social significance of the films blind people to the actual merits of them. But, well, first off, I don't see what's bad about some people getting a little over-excited about the films because of those cultural/social significances. Reviews are largely subjective, so if those sentiments play into critical and/or public perception, so what? But more importantly, these really aren't the films they should be targeting with such arguments.

WW compared favorably against the other DC films in most people's eyes by being a good film that was much more coherent and enjoyable to watch. And while people generally thought it was a very good to great film, and many celebrated its cultural importance, very few people were actually proclaiming it to be the movie of the year or a masterpiece or anything, so I feel like, what exactly are you even crying about? I know I read an article or two that claimed WW should have been nominated for Best Picture, which I personally don't agree with, but in general, I don't think it was overpraised at all. It was a really good superhero movie that got really good reviews, and people came out to see it in droves (becoming the highest grossing DC Extended Universe film domestically). End of story. It amazes me that some people can be so angry about this.

And I obviously haven't seen BP yet, but considering the fact that Marvel has generally already had a pretty good track record when it comes to producing films that both critics and general audiences like, and then considering the amount of talent involved (a stellar cast, many of whom have been nominated for or have won various prestigious awards, a promising young writer/director with 2/2 universally acclaimed films, an Oscar-nominated cinematographer, one of the greatest musicians of this generation), it's really no surprise that this is emerging as one of the most praised superhero films to date. Yeah, people are hyping this thing in part because of it's cultural and social significance, and sure, some people will have some 'bias' because of that (again, though, not really a bad thing), but if any superhero film has the potential to be Best Picture-worthy, this one just might be it. I don't know, maybe I'm overhyping it now, lol. But I hope not, and I don't think so.
Mayhem
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Mayhem »

Wonder Woman was good. The Last Jedi was pretty good. Ghostbusters was dire. I've heard from someone who has seen Black Panther that it's as good as you'd expect in general from Marvel. So whether they are good or not, is probably not a factor, and just because it's fan groups of an opposite "clan" trying to diss a film because they don't like an aspect of it unrelated to whether it's a good film or not.

Also, didn't realise Forrest Whitaker was in the film until seeing the poster as I haven't seen him in the trailer!
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
ce1ticmoon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ce1ticmoon »

I saw this tonight, and aside from a few moments of subpar CG work and obvious green screen, I thought everything was top notch. There was so much hype that I was a little afraid I'd be disappointed when I actually saw it, but I'm happy to say I was engaged from beginning to end. I'd have to see it again, but I feel like it will easily slide in to my personal top 3 along with The Winter Soldier and Civil War.

First off, the visuals were great (aside from the aforementioned issues)--the Afrofuturistic production design and the costumes really stand out as impressive. (Speaking of, they really should have had Janelle Monae in this somehow... she would have been perfect for this sort of thing. Maybe next time.) The soundtrack was also really great. The African beats were incorporated well, and it was probably one of the more memorable soundtracks in the MCU so far.

I really liked how the film focused on T'challa struggling with his personal feelings regarding his father's past actions. In that way, the film felt smaller and more personal. But simultaneously, it also felt really epic because the storyline was so.... Shakespearean in a way? The internal political conflict and crazy, royal family drama and all that. And I really liked how the film addressed Wakanda's responsibility in the world at large, and questioned the way it isolated itself from the rest of the world.

And I maybe I'm a bit partial to Michael B. Jordan ever since Friday Night Lights, but I felt he was really the stand-out in this film. Obviously, credit needs to go to the writing as well, but he was definitely one of the strongest CBM/MCU villains yet. He was brutal and heinous, yet very sympathetic in a lot of ways. I somewhat wishhe would have survived this film.

MCU Phase 3 in general has just been really consistently great, and the streak continues with BP.

BTW, just crazy box office!
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I finally saw the film and I loved it. I think it might be one of my top favorites from Marvel too. I'm really glad it's having such a great success.
ce1ticmoon wrote:But simultaneously, it also felt really epic because the storyline was so.... Shakespearean in a way? The internal political conflict and crazy, royal family drama and all that.
That and also the film's setting, I guess, made me think of The Lion King a couple of times, but I really liked that aspect of the film.
ce1ticmoon wrote:And I maybe I'm a bit partial to Michael B. Jordan ever since Friday Night Lights, but I felt he was really the stand-out in this film. Obviously, credit needs to go to the writing as well, but he was definitely one of the strongest CBM/MCU villains yet. He was brutal and heinous, yet very sympathetic in a lot of ways. I somewhat wishhe would have survived this film.
I was wishing he would survive too. Though he was really bad, you understood why he had become the way he was. By the end of the film, it didn’t seem likely he would be redeemed, but I thought he would maybe escape. However, I think his end in the movie was well done.
Disney's Divinity

I'm so glad you enjoyed it, D82! :)

Off-topic, but I saw Chadwick Boseman in Marshall the other day and I have to say he's a great actor. The movie itself was just okay--kind of lifeless in that Oscar bait way that some films can be--but Boseman was a highlight. I mean, I already knew he was good in the Black Panther role because of his cameo in Captain America: Civil War, only this proves he's capable of other roles. I need to check out his other films now.

Also, there is something so inexplicably attractive about him. I've heard a lot of talk about Michael B. Jordan being hot and don't quite get it, although he is pretty buff... :P With Boseman, it's not even the way he looks (although that would be enough), but he just has it. Confidence, charisma, I'm not sure I could pinpoint it.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

I saw the film a couple of weeks ago and I also really enjoyed it. It was great.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:Off-topic, but I saw Chadwick Boseman in Marshall the other day and I have to say he's a great actor. The movie itself was just okay--kind of lifeless in that Oscar bait way that some films can be--but Boseman was a highlight. I mean, I already knew he was good in the Black Panther role because of his cameo in Captain America: Civil War, only this proves he's capable of other roles. I need to check out his other films now.
I watched that film recently too and also 42, another movie starred by him. The release of Black Panther was near and I realized I hadn’t seen any of his films except for Civil War and I was curious to know what other works he had done. 42 is a similar type of movie and he does a good job in it too, but it was also Marshall where I realized he was a good actor and that he had charisma. I think he was better there than in Black Panther, though he’s great in the latter as well.
Disney's Divinity

I read this passed a billion worldwide. I'm happy it's done so well.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

The overseas success is the best thing about this. Hollywood has always defended its predominantly white casting choices for main roles by saying black movies don’t do well overseas. They can’t hide behind this lie anymore. It opened to $66 million in China.

Marvel is on a successful streak right now.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Went yesterday with my buds to see this. It was amazing. I think it's the best Marvel so far, after Doctor Strange. I loved everything about it. The fight scenes were beautifully choreographed, and the villain is the strongest one yet. :) The score was amazing as well.

Makes me so excited for the new Avengers movie!
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I read this passed a billion worldwide. I'm happy it's done so well.
Me too. It's breaking a lot of records.
PatrickvD wrote:The overseas success is the best thing about this. Hollywood has always defended its predominantly white casting choices for main roles by saying black movies don’t do well overseas. They can’t hide behind this lie anymore. It opened to $66 million in China.
Yes, that's the best thing. I'm glad Disney is the studio who is risking in this regard with films like this one or A Wrinkle In Time.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Black Panther continues its impressive box office run:
In North America, the superhero film passed Titanic ($659.4 million) to become the No. 3 title of all time — where it will rest — behind Star Wars: The Force Awakens ($936.7 million) and Avatar ($760.5 million). Worldwide, Black Panther will soon pass Star Wars: The Last Jedi ($1.333 billion) to rank as the No. 9 title of all time.
Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... 1m-1100795
Disney's Divinity

Wow, even I didn't expect it to do this well. :pink:
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^I didn't expect it either. I wasn't even sure if it was going to be successful, given that it wasn't a sequel or a spin-off, it didn't have "cameos" of well-known Marvel characters from other films (like Iron-Man in Spider-Man: Homecoming), and also a bit because it featured an almost entire black cast. So I've been pleasantly surprised by all it has achieved so far.