The Walt Disney Signature Collection

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: The Walt Disney Signature Collection

Post by Escapay »

pikachufan1336 wrote:Interesting, but how do we know if there is going to be three per year. Just because it happened once this year doesn't mean it will happen again.
The Platinum Edition line went from one a year to two a year, as did the Diamond Edition line. But this was the early-aughties/early-teens when physical media was still a dominant consumer product. We're in uncharted territory now as digital streaming is largely coming to the forefront: Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, MoviesAnywhere, Disney's Unnamed Streaming Service. Physical media sales, especially on catalog titles, are dropping every year.

The Signature Collection line started with two titles a year, but this year surprised everyone by dropping three. The sparsity of new content made for the releases shows that Disney is more keen on getting the product out there again rather than making it worth a wait, as evident by this year's three releases. There simply will not be time to space out these physical releases to two a year and have it overlap with Disney's streaming service. By then, most consumers would be happy to spend $$/month to have every Disney film available at the click of a button, rather than going to a store and buying a disc. Three releases a year is not only probable, but it's likely gonna be the last time these films get a physical media release. It's a limited window to work with, especially with catalog titles. Many people who were content with buying the Diamond Editions are passing on the Signature Collections, and for good reason.
JeanGreyForever wrote:Fantasia's placement depends on whether or not Disney will still go by tradition and only release it in every year ending with an 0.
That's not even a tradition, just a convenient timing for the past two home media releases. Fantasia has been released multiple times in theatres: 1940-41 as a roadshow release, 1942 as a general release, and re-issues in 1946, 1956, 1963, 1969, 1977, 1982, 1985, and 1990. It took 50 years before the "tradition" started, and even then, its first home media release would take place a year later in November 1991.

The November 2000 release was the studio's big holiday catalog release, as "Platinum Edition" as we know it didn't exist yet (though a few old-timers look to the Fantasia Anthology as the pilot entry of what would become that series), and also a way to connect the original film to its sequel Fantasia 2000. Its release more-or-less delayed Fantasia 2000 hitting DVD when it normally would have, as around this time (throughout the 90s/00s, really), new films got home video release 6 months after its debut, Fantasia 2000 took 11.

When Disney originally announced in 2003 that they'd expand the Platinum Edition line to include four more titles (Pinocchio, Fantasia, Peter Pan, and Sleeping Beauty), all but Fantasia saw release. Peter Pan wound up in the Spring 2007 slot, Sleeping Beauty in Fall 2008, and Pinocchio in Spring 2009. At that point, many assumed, Fantasia would close it out as Fall 2009. But instead, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs came out that fall, starting the "Diamond Edition" line, and announcing in its booklet that the displaced Fantasia would come the following year. Of course, by the time 2010 actually rolled around, Beauty and the Beast was moved from Spring 2010 to Fall 2010, and Fantasia again got kicked out of the line, instead seeing a release in November 2010 as a Two-Movie Collection with Fantasia 2000. So I honestly would not be surprised to see Fantasia released as a mid-level Signature Collection in June of next year, especially as the other predictions fall more in line with what Disney plans to do regarding live-action remakes. Unless we suddenly get an announcement of Pastoral Symphony: The Movie, I can't see them holding out Fantasia for 10 years simply because it's a new "tradition."

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

For next year, my predictions would be

Lady and the Tramp (February 2018)
The Jungle Book (June 2018)
Cinderella (September 2018)
pikachufan1336
Gold Classic Collection

Post by pikachufan1336 »

Escapay wrote:

The Signature Collection line started with two titles a year, but this year surprised everyone by dropping three. The sparsity of new content made for the releases shows that Disney is more keen on getting the product out there again rather than making it worth a wait, as evident by this year's three releases. There simply will not be time to space out these physical releases to two a year and have it overlap with Disney's streaming service. By then, most consumers would be happy to spend $$/month to have every Disney film available at the click of a button, rather than going to a store and buying a disc. Three releases a year is not only probable, but it's likely gonna be the last time these films get a physical media release. It's a limited window to work with, especially with catalog titles. Many people who were content with buying the Diamond Editions are passing on the Signature Collections, and for good reason.
JeanGreyForever wrote:Fantasia's placement depends on whether or not Disney will still go by tradition and only release it in every year ending with an 0.
That's not even a tradition, just a convenient timing for the past two home media releases. Fantasia has been released multiple times in theatres: 1940-41 as a roadshow release, 1942 as a general release, and re-issues in 1946, 1956, 1963, 1969, 1977, 1982, 1985, and 1990. It took 50 years before the "tradition" started, and even then, its first home media release would take place a year later in November 1991.

The November 2000 release was the studio's big holiday catalog release, as "Platinum Edition" as we know it didn't exist yet (though a few old-timers look to the Fantasia Anthology as the pilot entry of what would become that series), and also a way to connect the original film to its sequel Fantasia 2000. Its release more-or-less delayed Fantasia 2000 hitting DVD when it normally would have, as around this time (throughout the 90s/00s, really), new films got home video release 6 months after its debut, Fantasia 2000 took 11.

When Disney originally announced in 2003 that they'd expand the Platinum Edition line to include four more titles (Pinocchio, Fantasia, Peter Pan, and Sleeping Beauty), all but Fantasia saw release. Peter Pan wound up in the Spring 2007 slot, Sleeping Beauty in Fall 2008, and Pinocchio in Spring 2009. At that point, many assumed, Fantasia would close it out as Fall 2009. But instead, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs came out that fall, starting the "Diamond Edition" line, and announcing in its booklet that the displaced Fantasia would come the following year. Of course, by the time 2010 actually rolled around, Beauty and the Beast was moved from Spring 2010 to Fall 2010, and Fantasia again got kicked out of the line, instead seeing a release in November 2010 as a Two-Movie Collection with Fantasia 2000. So I honestly would not be surprised to see Fantasia released as a mid-level Signature Collection in June of next year, especially as the other predictions fall more in line with what Disney plans to do regarding live-action remakes. Unless we suddenly get an announcement of Pastoral Symphony: The Movie, I can't see them holding out Fantasia for 10 years simply because it's a new "tradition."

Albert
If I learned anything from the line ups is that nothing is set in stone until the pre-order.

I called Disney Home Entertainment and asked why Sleeping Beauty is in the Signature Edition trailer but not online.
Their answer was: I wouldn't trust the websites completely (even if it was their own website).
That is their version of saying "nothing is official until the pre-order"
Which is why I was surprised that Fantasia was in the line up but not Alice/Dumbo, as I mentioned earlier. They're in the same situation: They have been announced as part of the line up at one point but it never happened.

Every single line up has not gone through with every release they "announce".

Alice/Dumbo/Fantasia were at one point announced as Platinum edition, but it didn't happen.

Pinocchio/Fantasia were announced as Diamond but it never happened.

And Aladdin was "delayed" for QUITE a while. In fact I wonder had it not have been for Robin Williams' Death if they would have released it at all on Diamond.

As for the "3 per year", I'm not saying I don't see the logic behind it. It would make sense for them to do that. But we have 0 proof is this was or wasn't a one time thing.

At this point, it COULD be Alice/Dumbo/Fantasia/whatever.
Hell they might even do the newer Revival movies.
We don't know
I'm not saying these will happen but if it does I won't be surprised.

I am 100% positive Lady and the Tramp will be the next one. That's my best bet anyway.
WHEN I'm not sure. Someone mentioned earlier that an announcement will be made when Coco's pre-orders will come up, which I find the most likely.
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Please stop block-quoting when you only need to refer to certain parts of a post.
pikachufan1336 wrote:If I learned anything from the line ups is that nothing is set in stone until the pre-order.
If you're not gonna trust anything until then, what's the point of you questioning mine or anyone else's educated guesses on the release schedule based on past patterns?
pikachufan1336 wrote:Which is why I was surprised that Fantasia was in the line up but not Alice/Dumbo, as I mentioned earlier. They're in the same situation: They have been announced as part of the line up at one point but it never happened.

Every single line up has not gone through with every release they "announce".

Alice/Dumbo/Fantasia were at one point announced as Platinum edition, but it didn't happen.
Alice in Wonderland and Dumbo will never join the studio's prestige line, be it Platinum Edition, Diamond Edition, Signature Collection. For as long as home media has existed, they have always been used as evergreen titles that forever stay on the market. The desire for them to join the prestige line is a noble one, but marketing and sales history of the past 36 years (when Dumbo hit VHS and Betamax via Fotomat rental tapes) shows it will not happen. I doubt it will happen now just because some people online want it to.
pikachufan1336 wrote:And Aladdin was "delayed" for QUITE a while. In fact I wonder had it not have been for Robin Williams' Death if they would have released it at all on Diamond.
Aladdin was not formally announced as part of the Diamond Edition line until the Blu-Ray guide for Lady and the Tramp slotted it as Spring 2013. The very first press release from 2009 about the Diamond Edition series made no mention of it at all. There were plenty of factors in the delay of Aladdin that we are not privy to, only speculation. A lot of it was hearsay and unsubstantiated rumors, there are plenty of threads here about it. My personal thinking is they removed it from the line at first in order to market it with the eventual release of the stage musical on Broadway, as it took a long time to get there from its first 2011 production in Seattle. For the longest time, folks speculated it would get a standalone "20th Anniversary Edition" release in 2012 until the Lady and the Tramp Blu-Ray guide announced it for Spring 2013. International Blu-Ray releases for titles like Aladdin, The Jungle Book, Peter Pan etc. showed that the length of a film's home media moratorium was no longer set in stone anyway, but that the films included would still eventually see American release. And even thought Peter Pan ended up taking the Spring 2013 slot, the main point is, Aladdin eventually came out as a Diamond Edition. Regardless how long it took, Disney still included it in the line. I'd rather take stock in Disney's past release patterns than a fan's wishful thinking. Alice and Wonderland and Dumbo had to settle for Blu-Ray debuts in 2011 with sets that could have easily been labeled Diamond Edition as well, but its re-issues have just been quiet ones via DisneyMovieClub last year.
pikachufan1336 wrote:At this point, it COULD be Alice/Dumbo/Fantasia/whatever.
It won't be. I'm relying on past release patterns and the general history of Disney home video. You're relying on simply wanting them to be included in the line.

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
pikachufan1336
Gold Classic Collection

Post by pikachufan1336 »

1. the "quoting" thing was a mistake, my bad.
2. As I've said earlier I couldn't care less about what's on Diamond/Platinum/Whatever. I don't need a movie to get special treatment and I don't need a marketing tool to tell me what movies good by some special title. For example: I LOVE Robin Hood, and I hate The Lion King, I don't need a marketing tool to tell me otherwise/ shape my opinion. I was just curious and fascinated as to whats the deal with the treatments of those movies and the recent history with their releases that's it. I'm happy with my regular blu rays.
3. I've mentioned in earlier posts my thinking behind it, and I've used facts, not fan based opinion or theories or whatever. I don't want to repeat myself nor do I need to. But long story short: Based on what I've seen, the reason those two are not in the vault has more to do with technicality reasons than them not being as successful as others. Of course it doesn't do as well as the actual diamonds because they don't have a limited time offering,it's not fair to measure up to those standards. Yet they still break the top 100 best selling blu rays. I agree I don't think it will ever happen, at least not soon. What I'm saying is IF it will happen it's not going to blow anyone's minds. That's all I meant.
4. I never said I don't believe you I'm saying I just take everything with a grain of salt as far as release schedules go. That's all.

Right now all I care about is when Lady and the Tramp is coming up bro, that's it.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

JeanGreyForever wrote:Fantasia's placement depends on whether or not Disney will still go by tradition and only release it in every year ending with an 0. The fact that it is still on Netflix makes me doubt that they'll release it next year. Might be better to wait until after Disney has removed their content from Netflix. I also wonder if Fantasia 2000 will be included or not. It's not on the main website anymore, nor is Fantasia listed as a 2 movie collection, so I wonder if it'll be given the same treatment that other sequels like Bambi 2 have gotten. A minor release with the pomp and circumstance.

I just hope that whenever Cinderella comes out, it'll be with a new and improved restoration. There's no excuse that we've had the same shoddy transfer for more than a decade now, one that apparently was always known to be flawed, or at least by the time the Blu-Ray came out. Seeing as how Disney hasn't bothered to change any of their transfers yet (except for the missing clouds from The Lion King), I'm skeptical as to whether or not they'll do anything for Cinderella. It's the most flawed transfer in the Signature Edition line besides BATB which Disney doesn't seem to be bothered by.
Was Bambi 2 a standalone release or did it come with the Signature Edition?

Yes, they did fix the clouds in The Lion King but they also issued replacements for The Little Mermaid.

I still wonder what the filmakers really want BatB to look like.

I hope Cinderella gets fixed as well and I personally do have faith in it.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Disney Duster wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:Fantasia's placement depends on whether or not Disney will still go by tradition and only release it in every year ending with an 0. The fact that it is still on Netflix makes me doubt that they'll release it next year. Might be better to wait until after Disney has removed their content from Netflix. I also wonder if Fantasia 2000 will be included or not. It's not on the main website anymore, nor is Fantasia listed as a 2 movie collection, so I wonder if it'll be given the same treatment that other sequels like Bambi 2 have gotten. A minor release with the pomp and circumstance.

I just hope that whenever Cinderella comes out, it'll be with a new and improved restoration. There's no excuse that we've had the same shoddy transfer for more than a decade now, one that apparently was always known to be flawed, or at least by the time the Blu-Ray came out. Seeing as how Disney hasn't bothered to change any of their transfers yet (except for the missing clouds from The Lion King), I'm skeptical as to whether or not they'll do anything for Cinderella. It's the most flawed transfer in the Signature Edition line besides BATB which Disney doesn't seem to be bothered by.
Was Bambi 2 a standalone release or did it come with the Signature Edition?

Yes, they did fix the clouds in The Lion King but they also issued replacements for The Little Mermaid.

I still wonder what the filmakers really want BatB to look like.

I hope Cinderella gets fixed as well and I personally do have faith in it.
Bambi 2 was a standalone release. So far all the sequels for the Diamond/Signature line have gotten separate releases from the main movie, except Fantasia 2000 which makes sense since this movie was not a cheap direct-to-video sequel. However on the Disney Signature website, Fantasia 2000 isn't listed, so I wonder if it will be packaged with Fantasia again or not.

The Little Mermaid replacement was for the Diamond line though. For all the Signature line movies, they've reused the same transfer as Diamond Editions except for Lion King, since they fixed the one cloud issue. However otherwise the transfer for that movie is also the same. So I'm afraid that by this pattern, Disney might be lazy and throw the previous Cinderella transfer into the Signature Edition as well. I'd like to have faith but I have very little when it comes to Disney's home video department.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Thanks for the info. The fixed clouds give me hope.
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Lady and The Tramp is officially the next title in the Signature line as Zeus Online reveals that pre-orders will start on January 12th, 2018 (to clarify, it will NOT be released on that day, it's when pre-ordering will be available) which is also the same day pre-orders for Coco will begin:

http://zeusonline.ca/320032
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Disney Duster wrote:Thanks for the info. The fixed clouds give me hope.
That would give me hope but the BATB Signature Edition definitely doesn't. Then again, Disney has always treated BATB's home video transfers in a strange way so I'm hoping that's an exception, and Disney will fix any future restorations, namely Cinderella.
Mickeyfan1990 wrote:Lady and The Tramp is officially the next title in the Signature line as Zeus Online reveals that pre-orders will start on January 12th, 2018 (to clarify, it will NOT be released on that day, it's when pre-ordering will be available) which is also the same day pre-orders for Coco will begin:

That's great to know. Although it probably won't be released in time for Valentine's Day, it'll be close around to that time so certain predictions came true.
ImageImage
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Cool! I missed out on the previous Blu-ray of Lady and the Tramp. I did manage to find the DVD version. I already had the Platinum Edition DVD.

Would this be worth the upgrade to HD?
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Sicoe Vlad wrote:Cool! I missed out on the previous Blu-ray of Lady and the Tramp. I did manage to find the DVD version. I already had the Platinum Edition DVD.

Would this be worth the upgrade to HD?

If you love the movie then yes. Though if there are extras that aren't ported over from the Diamond Edition, you better get that too.
REINIER
Anniversary Edition

Post by REINIER »

I wonder if we will ever see 4K restorations of 2D animation...I know it'll probably never happen considering the fact that the source material is at best 2K ..or so I read some where. .but I like to think my shelves will eventually be filled with more than just 3 versions of the same bluray output..Diamond. ..signature..or platinum. ..I could care less..pristine output with all extra's imaginable is all I need ..and then I woke up :-p
When it comes to brains, I got the lion-share,
but when it comes to bruth strength, I'm afraid I'm at the shallow end of the gene pool
Matt
Anniversary Edition

Post by Matt »

Mickeyfan1990 wrote:Lady and The Tramp is officially the next title in the Signature line as Zeus Online reveals that pre-orders will start on January 12th, 2018 (to clarify, it will NOT be released on that day, it's when pre-ordering will be available) which is also the same day pre-orders for Coco will begin:

I wonder if Lady and the Tramp 2 will not be a DMC exclusive. I definitely want that on digital as well.
I most likely will skip Lady and the Tramp if nothing new and worthily isn’t on it.
I feel the last Blu-ray was good. No need to double dip again.
pikachufan1336
Gold Classic Collection

Post by pikachufan1336 »

YEAY PUPPIES!!!!

Gee, I wonder what the cover will look like
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Fantasia and Fantasia 2000 are being removed from Netflix (not any other Disney movie) which makes me wonder if we can expect to see them soon for a new Blu-Ray release.
https://www.bustle.com/p/everything-lea ... ht-7553301
ImageImage
DisneyFreak5282
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFreak5282 »

Matt wrote: I wonder if Lady and the Tramp 2 will not be a DMC exclusive. I definitely want that on digital as well.
I most likely will skip Lady and the Tramp if nothing new and worthily isn’t on it.
I feel the last Blu-ray was good. No need to double dip again.
I'll most likely pick it up for the digital copy (I only bought the non-DC Diamond Edition). These releases will be a tough sell for me once they start re-releasing those last 5 Diamond films.
UDer #3495 :D
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
DisneyFreak5282
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFreak5282 »

Multi-Screen Edition? I'm not too keen on the frame or that subtitle. Aside from that, it looks nice.
UDer #3495 :D
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I love the cover.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"