Tangled: The Series

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
D82
Signature Collection

Re: Tangled: The Series

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:I thought the finale was a little disappointing. They didn't really explain the mythology around the sun drop and the moon drop and their interconnection, we didn't learn what Varian's father wrote in that piece of paper, and it wasn't made clear whether the rocks will now stop growing on their own. Is the kingdom still in danger of getting destroyed by the rocks or not? If Rapunzel can control them now why doesn't she remove them? And the whole thing with the rocks suddenly becoming arrows she has to follow was a bit silly of an idea.
You're right, they left many things unresolved. I guess I wasn't disappointed because I have become used to them not revealing much each episode and I didn't expect to get the answer to all those things. But I agree that they should have explained better if the rocks are still a menace to the kingdom or not. Anyway, I'm looking forward to season 2 and, of course, also to the new songs. The Jeremy Jordan/Eden Espinosa duet sounds interesting. I wonder what will be the context of that song. And if I remember it correctly, I think there's also a Eugene solo confirmed for season 2.

Well, since the first season has finished, I thought I'd try to rank the songs (I'm not including the reprises nor the show's end credits song):

1. Let Me Make You Proud
2. Wind in My Hair
3. Set Yourself Free
4. Life After Happily Ever After
5. I’ve Got This
6. Ready As I’ll Ever Be
7. Listen Up
8. Friendship Song
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:Well, since the first season has finished, I thought I'd try to rank the songs (I'm not including the reprises nor the show's end credits song)
That's a fun idea. Here's my ranking:

1. Wind in My Hair
2. Set Yourself Free
3. Life After Happily Ever After
4. Let Me Make You Proud
5. I’ve Got This
6. Ready As I’ll Ever Be
7. Listen Up
8. Friendship Song
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

I agree I would have liked to have learned more about the rocks and the whole magic behind how Rapunzel's hair/the flower/sundrop works. I did love that one song where the whole cast sings, & especially liked hearing Cass sing!

and with the main cast leaving Corona behind & going on a journey next season I hope they leave the bar thugs behind, especially that dumb little drunk midget who Ive never found funny since the original film, yeesh enough with him already!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The first season soundtrack of Tangled: The Series is now available on Spotify, Amazon, iTunes, Google Play, Napster, and Tidal.

rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

I hope they release an actual CD once the series is over. However, it's nice to hear good studio versions of the songs. My rip of Let Me Make You Proud was... something haha

Interesting release from Disney
https://www.amazon.com/Tangled-Rapunzel ... the+series

Also, given that the description says "This edition will publish for the beginning of season two" and the release date is set for June 5... (is this old news? sorry if so!)
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

anybody think they should make an Art of book for this series? :up:
taei
Special Edition

Post by taei »

I just got done binge watching this show.. and I am shocked... shocked... shocked!! At how much I enjoyed it!

I mean, the pilot movie skewed more younger than I would have liked it to, but after watching the show, I can safely say that this is probably the most mature and sophisticated animated series Disney Channel has done in a really long time, and probably the second best show based off a movie (after Timon and Pumbaa of course).

I particularly enjoyed the continuation of the stuff that happened in the movie. Rapunzel's journey to becoming a queen was really well done, I'm glad she wasn't just relegated to planning birthday parties. I loved the fact that she had to deal with difficult situations and reap the consequences of her decisions. Brilliant! Her relationship with Eugene is truly, the best and most ideal that Disney has done. Her parents though... I thought her mother was barely existent in the show (Although I did like that she didn't forgive Eugene for the ring)... And Rapunzel's relationship with her father kept fluttering between good and bad.. I just wish they had more scenes dedicated to the 3 of them. Also, I can't believe that they destroyed the tower.... It was just so shocking!

I pretty much didn't like any of the new characters, except for Varian. I can't believe that they actually had the guts to turn him into a full fledged villain, with an understandable motive. Cassandra was just there to appeal to every audience's BFF... Her stories are very typical and she stole focus from the main non-family relationship that Rapunzel has, which is with Eugene. Lance was just a disaster from day 1... I do not want him to come back for season 2.

Lastly, I wanted to mention that it was great for them to add a fantasy element to the story, like the ghosts and the cult. They've created a rich world on an empty canvas, and I can't wait to see what they add to it!

Overall, I really enjoyed this season, and I loved that they didn't reveal a lot about the spikes. It will be interesting to see who shows up in season 2 and who doesn't.
"In every age, Family is king,
and the bravest journeys, are never taken alone."
-Brave.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Is Jeffrey Tambor still going to be on the show? You'd think with his allegations, that Big Nose might be written out, but I've yet to hear anything about it.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

New "Inside the Journal" videos:

- Bad Hair Day | Inside the Journal | Tangled: The Series | Disney Channel
- Pascal | Inside the Journal | Tangled: The Series | Disney Channel
- Royal Wardrobe | Inside the Journal | Tangled: The Series | Disney Channel
- Freckles | Inside the Journal | Tangled: The Series | Disney Channel
- Role Models | Inside the Journal | Tangled: The Series | Disney Channel

Avaitor wrote:Is Jeffrey Tambor still going to be on the show? You'd think with his allegations, that Big Nose might be written out, but I've yet to hear anything about it.
It has been announced this week that he won't return for the next season of Transparent, the show he starred in. So, he most likely won't return to Tangled: The Series either. I don't think his character will be written out, though. I guess they'll just hire a new actor to do his voice.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Taylor Louderman sings Life After Happily Ever After during The Broadway Princess Party at Feinstein's/54 Below.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Tom Caulfield, one of the directors on the series, revealed that an early idea was to have a moon flower created by the moon drop instead of the black spikes. Honestly, that idea is much more interesting and consistent with Tangled mythology than what we got.

Source: https://twitter.com/TomCaulfield01/stat ... 7144515584
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

They could always explore the idea of a moon flower in the next season.

I still haven't seen the last episode of the first season. I was out the day it first aired and I thought it would re-run, but it's like the show just vanished from the Disney Channel immediately after that last episode. That's really odd to me. Did the show not do well in ratings?
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I still haven't seen the last episode of the first season. I was out the day it first aired and I thought it would re-run, but it's like the show just vanished from the Disney Channel immediately after that last episode. That's really odd to me. Did the show not do well in ratings?
The show is still available OnDemand.

There's a possibility they might move the show to Disney XD.
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I agree with Sotiris about the moon flower.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The Daytime Emmy nominations are out and none of the songs were nominated. :glare: So, both the Primetime and the Daytime Emmys have snubbed them now. :roll: The series did garner three nominations though in the categories Casting for an Animated Series, Individual Achievement in Animation (Tom Caulfield), and Music Direction and Composition (Kevin Kliesch).
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:OK, then that would make 25 episodes, which is closer to what they said.
If you include the four "short cuts" shorts together, that makes 25.5 episodes. :P
rodrigo_ca wrote:I hope they release an actual CD once the series is over.
Disney Japan released a physical CD of the first season which includes the songs in English as well as in Japanese.

Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/BglfncFl8yH/
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:The Daytime Emmy nominations are out and none of the songs were nominated. :glare: So, both the Primetime and the Daytime Emmys have snubbed them now. :roll: The series did garner three nominations though in the categories Casting for an Animated Series, Individual Achievement in Animation (Tom Caulfield), and Music Direction and Composition (Kevin Kliesch).
I don't understand why they still don't nominate any of the songs. The ones they've selected (at least the ones I found online) aren't half as good as them. Is the TV Academy also against Menken? I'm glad the show got at least those three nominations.

Sotiris wrote:
D82 wrote:OK, then that would make 25 episodes, which is closer to what they said.
If you include the four "short cuts" shorts together, that makes 25.5 episodes. :P
:lol: That makes a huge difference. They were wrong by only 1.5 episodes then. :wink:

Sotiris wrote:Disney Japan released a physical CD of the first season which includes the songs in English as well as in Japanese.
That's great! I hope it gets released in other countries as well.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Why is he ignored in ever single aspect of every awards ceremony in recent years ?! Is there a vendetta against him ?

The songs in the show are beautiful, and more than worthy of a nomination.

I still can't get over the fact that Tangled itself wasn't nominated for Best Animated Film at the Oscars either :roll:
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:I don't understand why they still don't nominate any of the songs. The ones they've selected (at least the ones I found online) aren't half as good as them. Is the TV Academy also against Menken?
I know, right? Sometimes I wonder if it's just me. If I'm being biased. But I then listen to the songs that were nominated and almost all of them are incredibly bad. It's so perplexing. I never understood how the music branch of the Emmys works, what their process is or what their criteria are. They're much more unpredictable than the Oscars. I don't want to blame it on Emmy voters having something against him. They have no reason to. It's true most of his TV work has gone unrecognized. His work on Sesame Street, Polly, Lincoln, the first season of Galavant, Tangled etc was really good and should have been noticed. Maybe it's ageism, maybe it's because he's not in vogue anymore as a songwriter or maybe the projects he's been attached to just didn't become very popular. Tangled: The Series isn't as popular as other animated TV shows out there and the show has earned very few nominations and awards collectively compared to them. Maybe it has something to do with that or maybe it's something else altogether. It really boggles the mind. :shrug:
Atlantica wrote:Why is he ignored in ever single aspect of every awards ceremony in recent years ?! Is there a vendetta against him?
I've often wondered the same thing. He hasn't won a competitive award since his Tony in 2012 despite his continuous high-quality work in various mediums.
Atlantica wrote:I still can't get over the fact that Tangled itself wasn't nominated for Best Animated Film at the Oscars either.
I'm much more bitter about "I See the Light" losing to Newman's horrendous "We Belong Together". There were only three slots available that year instead of the usual five in the Best Animated Film category so I can understand Tangled slipping through the cracks but the Pixar song was so bad, its win was much more egregious. That song should have never been nominated, let alone win.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

UGH, I still remember how awful it was when "We Belong Together" won--and that was after Randy Newman lost with better songs from a Disney film the previous year, too. Even though I loved Toy Story 3, I just....ugh...! Best not to let the rage come back to me. :lol:
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"