DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:30 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

I come to terms that it won't be a musical and it does make sense with the serious tone. But, the fact that they're replacing Shang with some random guy is ridiculous and that is what making me lose my interest.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:06 am 
Collector's Edition

They're gonna do everything to appeal to the Chinese market. If there's something they don't like or don't want, Disney will go and change the film to suit their needs. Their wallets matter the most after all.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:12 pm 
Platinum Edition

Exclusive: 'Mulan' Director Niki Caro Says No Songs in the Upcoming Remake
https://www.moviefone.com/2017/03/17/mu ... niki-caro/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:58 am 
Gold Collection

It doesn't make sense to me. There are already a fair number of serious, live action Chinese Mulan adaptions, so why remove everything unique to the animated Disney film in the live action remake of the said film? Where's the appeal in another Mulan adaption that doesn't stand out in that mainland Chinese market? (It doesn't help that I've read and watched a few stories that feature classical Chinese war heroines, so the concept they're going for is nothing unique in my book.)

I grew up watching a HK-dubbed camrip of Mulan, which is as Chinese as one can get. Saltiest salty salt.

At the very least, this live action masterpiece exists.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:32 am 
Platinum Edition

kiseki wrote:
It doesn't make sense to me. There are already a fair number of serious, live action Chinese Mulan adaptations, so why remove everything unique to the animated Disney film in the live action remake of the said film?

That's exactly how I feel.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:03 pm 
Platinum Edition

kiseki, what is the backstory to that video? Was it a school production filmed ("Mulan Jr.?")? Was it a tv special? Did they do the whole film?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:38 pm 
Platinum Edition

I’ve probably said it before, but the lack of songs doesn’t bother me about this re-make (although I would like if they put "Reflection" or "I'll Make a Man Out of You" in the credits, sort of like "So This Is Love" and "Bibbidi Bobbidi Boo" appear in the credits of Cinderella 2015). Cutting Shang is what’s put me off.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:03 pm 
Gold Collection

blackcauldron85 wrote:
kiseki, what is the backstory to that video? Was it a school production filmed ("Mulan Jr.?")? Was it a tv special? Did they do the whole film?

No idea. That YT channel has (re)uploaded a number of film reproductions exclusively starring children. They filmed their own musical take on the Mulan legend, borrowing three songs (...and...My Heart Will Go On) as well as a few scenes from the Disney version.
[Part 1] [Part 2] [Part 3] [BTS #1] [BTS #2]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:29 am 
Gold Collection

After the backlash from fans, I wouldn't be surprised if disney decides to add songs. Also considering how well beauty and the beast is doing. The movie isn't in production yet anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:45 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

WonderNeverOz wrote:
After the backlash from fans, I wouldn't be surprised if disney decides to add songs. Also considering how well beauty and the beast is doing. The movie isn't in production yet anyway.

It's beginning filming this summer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:29 am 
Limited Edition

I think it is ridiculous that the songs won't be used in the movie, it is what is making these live action movies a bigger success! At the very least, they should just put in two songs (similar to the Jungle Book): Reflection and I'll Make a Man Out of You. They will regret it if they don't, at least for the U.S. market.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:24 pm 
Collector's Edition

I'm not really that upset by the lack of songs. The original film was hardly a musical anyway with only four songs and I don't know anyone who really cares for A Girl Worth Fighting For. There's a reason most people consider Mulan to be the weakest soundtrack from the Disney Renaissance. I'd be fine if Reflection and I'll Make a Man Out of You are just end-credits songs. Replacing Shang with Chen is the annoying bit to me.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:54 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Now that the previous (non-musical) live actions versions of the story has been already mentioned, I guess that I could stray away from that argument :P. However, though this comment will get me some hate, I don't consider the non-musical decision a problem. I was never too keen on the songs from Mulan, which at their best didn't were the strongest in the Disney canon anyway. The best song being I'll Make A Man Out of You and Honor to Us All at a second place. However, A Girl Worth Fighting For is simply awful, at least melodically and Reflection is bland and forgettable (in my opinion). The orchestration around the songs are bad (in my opinion) and Mulan is perhaps musically the very weakest of the nineties bunch (as well with the score, which was underwhelming). And yeah, I know I'm probably repeating myself, but this was an opportunity to do so ;)

Perhaps the non-musical structure will be a strength, due to the epic and grand scope of the premise. Perhaps the movie could really benefit from a non-musical policy. The musical segments were the weakest part of last years The Jungle Book and they felt completely out of place (with some inferior orchestrations). I haven't seen Beauty and the Beast yet, but I will tonight.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:59 am 
Collector's Edition

I find it really interesting though. People complain about the new Beauty and the Beast being a beat by beat version too similar to its animated predecessor but when Mulan doesn't have songs...GASP! Which is it guys?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:52 pm 
Platinum Edition

‘Mulan’ Director Says Disney’s Live-Action Remake Will Be a “Girly Martial Arts Extravaganza”
http://www.slashfilm.com/mulan-remake-g ... ravaganza/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:49 pm 
Limited Edition

Tristy wrote:
I find it really interesting though. People complain about the new Beauty and the Beast being a beat by beat version too similar to its animated predecessor but when Mulan doesn't have songs...GASP! Which is it guys?

Some people are just never satisfied and like to complain.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:03 am 
Platinum Edition

Tristy wrote:
People complain about the new Beauty and the Beast being a beat by beat version too similar to its animated predecessor but when Mulan doesn't have songs...GASP! Which is it guys?

Maybe it's not the same people who are making the complaints?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:17 pm 
Platinum Edition

A music-less ‘Mulan’? It’s far from written in stone
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/mo ... story.html

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:41 pm 
Collector's Edition

Sotiris wrote:

I wouldn't be shocked if they decided to add songs because of all the backlash. Personally I would love if they got Stephen Schwartz to come back and use the songs he wrote for the film including Written in Stone which is one of my favorite deleted Disney songs.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:48 am 
Platinum Edition

JeanGreyForever wrote:
Sotiris wrote:

I wouldn't be shocked if they decided to add songs because of all the backlash. Personally I would love if they got Stephen Schwartz to come back and use the songs he wrote for the film including Written in Stone which is one of my favorite deleted Disney songs.
That would be a dream.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next