DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:45 pm 
Limited Edition

I'm glad they have cast a Chinese actress. According to Wikipedia, she's also a singer, so maybe that means the film is going to have songs after all. I saw her in The Forbidden Kingdom (which, by the way, was directed by Rob Minkoff, director of The Lion King), but I don't remember her character there much. I'm a bit surprised they have chosen a 30-year-old for the role when Mulan is only 18 or so in the animated film, though I guess this actress could probably pass for someone younger than her age.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:50 pm 
Collector's Edition

D82 wrote:
I'm glad they have cast a Chinese actress.

Well it's the only thing. Disney nowadays wouldn't do whitewashing, they know better than that. And also, while Americans/ Europeans wouldn't have given two shits if they had cast a Japanese or Korean actress, in Asia they would. In Asia there's this whole subdivision amidst the different countries and the Chinese don't like being mixed up with the Japanese, etc etc. It could've caused a huge uproar in Asia if they didn't took care of her nationality.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:58 pm 
Limited Edition

thedisneyspirit wrote:
In Asia there's this whole subdivision amidst the different countries and the Chinese don't like being mixed up with the Japanese, etc etc. It could've caused a huge uproar in Asia if they didn't took care of her nationality.

You're right. But I think that not only happens in Asia. For example, I remember some years ago a Spanish actor was cast to perform the famous Mexican comedian Cantinflas and that was quite controversial in Mexico.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:55 am 
Collector's Edition

D82 wrote:
thedisneyspirit wrote:
In Asia there's this whole subdivision amidst the different countries and the Chinese don't like being mixed up with the Japanese, etc etc. It could've caused a huge uproar in Asia if they didn't took care of her nationality.

You're right. But I think that not only happens in Asia. For example, I remember some years ago a Spanish actor was cast to perform the famous Mexican comedian Cantinflas and that was quite controversial in Mexico.

You can also expect that the SJWs would loose it if this happened, like with Jasmine's casting.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6