DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:19 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Disney's Divinity wrote:
I don't see the animal sidekicks in TSP as any more superfluous than those in...well, any Disney movie.

I thought the sidekicks were the best part of the movie. Speed and Puffin were so likable and endearing. I didn't like Jean-Bob, though, he was too snotty and unlikable.

Quote:
There will never be another Sleeping Beauty. I don't think there's anyone at Disney who could make something that beautiful. Or, rather, Disney wouldn't allow it anyway.

Unfortunately it won't. To quote that was said in the "Making off"-documentary; "Sleeping Beauty belongs to a rare era of animation that we won't ever see again".

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:18 pm 
Limited Edition

I do think that Disney has to keep in mind the era the film takes place in.

For example, Tangled takes place in around 1800? When the plans of this film were made, I expected it to be a film with characters from around 1800 in behaviour, reactions, looks, speech, etc. They did this very well in Sleeping Beauty. It is very unrealistic that Rapunzel in that time would be as feminist as she is, and lift her eyebrow at a comment from Flynn, or smack him with a pan or have very 2000+ language, such as "It's like 7.15".

But it's ot only the female characters. A character like Flynn would never have said the things he does in that time.

I get that people like this very modern approach, because it's what they recognize. But you have to be careful that it stays true to the story. I feel that in the modern films they go way too far overboard. Imagine the prince of Cinderella or Snowwhite saying to them: "Here comes the smolder" or "whoa! Sorry, Blondie. I don't do backstory" or "I totally have a thing for brunettes".

Also, there were some so called "funny" modern jokes in Princess and the Frog, which already feel very 2000 to me. So if they at least kept it true to the time the actual story of the film took place in , it would have felt truthful.

Edit: I am surprised that Rapunzel did not have a mobile phone, I bet the filmmakers would have thought it was funny. It seems they are too scared to stay truthful to an era. It is just as bad in the musical versions of animated films, in The Little Mermaid, Flounder sings: she treats me like sashimi, leftover from last week? :| It seems that they are too scared to not throw every moment away with a silly joke.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:04 pm 
Special Edition

Marky_198 wrote:
I do think that Disney has to keep in mind the era the film takes place in.

You're acting like this is a new thing. It's basically Disney's trademark to take old-fashioned tales and rewrite them so that they are marketable to modern audiences.

Their early princesses (Snow White, Cinderella, Aurora) all conform to the then "modern" standards of beauty during their films' original release dates. The Jungle Book and The Aristocats both use jazz music despite it not fitting their film's settings at all (Princess and the Frog, on the other hand...). Ariel speaks and acts like an 80s teenager. And don't get me even started on Jiminy Cricket...or Tinkerbell...or Baloo...or the Genie...or the Gargoyles...or Mushu...all comedic sidekick characters in stories set in the past that were designed to resonate with their films' "modern" audiences.

Disney transforms fairy tales to appeal to the children of the current era. That's part of the reason they've become so rich. Since children are raised on Disney films, Disney also takes it upon themselves to create strong (often female) role models, such as Rapunzel or Tiana. Sure, realistically, Rapunzel would have probably been more reserved and timid if she were a real girl in the 1700s, but its much easier for little girls to look up to someone who actually takes initiative and can defend herself. That's probably also part of the reason why Frozen was such a hit.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:20 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Disney Duster wrote:
Cinderella defeated the villain in her film. The villain is not defeated until she reveals the other shoe. It wasn't a genius idea she had, but an idea and action nontheless.

Sorry for bumping this thread, I came across this looking for something (yes, I lack a life :P) and you make a pretty valid point; Cinderella does redeems her own fate by revealing her other slipper and somewhat defeating the villain.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:29 pm 
Platinum Edition

I can only imagine how Moana must've sent angeldude into a frenzy.. :P

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:33 pm 
Platinum Edition

DisneyFan09 wrote:
Disney Duster wrote:
Cinderella defeated the villain in her film. The villain is not defeated until she reveals the other shoe. It wasn't a genius idea she had, but an idea and action nontheless.

Sorry for bumping this thread, I came across this looking for something (yes, I lack a life :P) and you make a pretty valid point; Cinderella does redeems her own fate by revealing her other slipper and somewhat defeating the villain.

Why thank you. I know it is the prince's high position and power that saves her, but it is also Cinderella's idea to use the other slipper that is needed for the defeat of the villain, her salvation, and the happy ending.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:17 am 
Limited Edition

Disney's Divinity wrote:
I can only imagine how Moana must've sent angeldude into a frenzy.. :P

rotfl

I forgot about this insane thread. It's even more disturbing to read in a post-Trump world. Gee...I wonder who Angeldude voted for :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:30 pm 
Limited Edition

I think this is an interesting thread. I enjoy freedom of speech and listening to others' opinions. I prefer the early Disney princesses just because I think they were animated more beautifully and the stories and songs were more memorable.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:01 am 
Collector's Edition

The only downside with today's princesses is that the majority of them seem derivative. Like they follow the pattern of "quirky sheltered optimist girl knows nothing of the world and embarks on an ADVENTURE with a snarky weary guy and shenanigans happen".

Anna, Rapunzel and Moana follow this pattern (Judy too). I see why Elsa struck a chord with many since she is different from the mold. (Granted, Tiana was also, but most people don't seem to care for her- she's a great character but her film is lacking in some aspects. You could blame that to racism, or to PATF not being that good a movie, or just that Disney hadn't released a good film in years, so they wouldn't be getting butts into theaters with just one movie).