Captain America: Civil War

All topics on all things Marvel.
Disneyphile
Special Edition

Captain America: Civil War

Post by Disneyphile »

Spider-Man is getting a mighty Marvel makeover.

Sony Pictures, which has been the steward of the franchise since 1999, is partnering up with Disney-owned Marvel Studios to bring a new version of the Spider-Man character to life.

As part of the revamp, the new Spider-Man will first appear in a Marvel film. The companies are not revealing details but that movie is likely to be Captain America: Civil War; the character was a major player in the comics storyline.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... ios-772127
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Re: Captain America: Civil War

Post by Barbossa »

Thank you North Korea!

:roll: :wink:
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

About damn time!

... That's all I have to say. ;)
Disneyphile
Special Edition

Post by Disneyphile »

More plot details from Elizabeth Olsen.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/ ... /?a=124926
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

Barbossa wrote:Thank you North Korea!

:roll: :wink:
lol! too bad they didnt hack Fox. :(
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

Disneyphile wrote:
Spider-Man is getting a mighty Marvel makeover.

Sony Pictures, which has been the steward of the franchise since 1999, is partnering up with Disney-owned Marvel Studios to bring a new version of the Spider-Man character to life.

As part of the revamp, the new Spider-Man will first appear in a Marvel film. The companies are not revealing details but that movie is likely to be Captain America: Civil War; the character was a major player in the comics storyline.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... ios-772127
As nice as it is to see Spidey in MCU, the following article saddens me knowing that I will not see my favourite Superhero franchise continued. Even if only to have Andrew be in Civil War, I am going to miss him along with all of the other actors. They WERE their characters and made up for any flaws that the movies had, which quite frankly compared to some of the MCU crap that some think is actually "good", these movies were near perfect masterpieces
http://www.movienewsguide.com/amazing-s ... -see/92847
Disneyphile
Special Edition

Post by Disneyphile »

ce1ticmoon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ce1ticmoon »

Love it, and I'm super hyped now! I love how they've really put the bulk of the emphasis on Steve's personal story, and I'm glad that it doesn't seem that Bucky's story is getting sidelined at all. He actually seems to be a much more important character here than he was in The Winter Soldier. And it's great to see Falcon get a lot of emphasis in the trailer as well. This has made me very confident that this will indeed very much be a Captain America movie first and foremost, and not another Avengers movie like many were speculating.

And I like the "Divided We Fall" catchphrase that they are going with in the posters. I think it's poignant, and I'm glad they aren't going with the whole "Whose side are you on?" thing, which never really did it for me. (Though I suppose that could still be coming.)
ce1ticmoon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ce1ticmoon »

The reviews are trickling in and the reception seems quite good. Getting really, really hyped now!
Disneyphile
Special Edition

Post by Disneyphile »

So who has seen this one? I saw it on Saturday in IMAX, and even the first morning showing was packed! My wife and I had to sit in separate rows, since there weren't two empty seats together. We both loved it. I know it's getting boring to say, but this is another Marvel home run.
Lady Cluck
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lady Cluck »

This was fantastic. I couldn't believe how many characters were packed into this with all being serviced well. They really make these characters come to life, including lesser known ones like Ant Man and Black Panther. Loved the new Spider-Man as well.

Marvel is on a roll. Their most recent projects have definitely been their strongest in general and I hope they keep it up. The last two Captain Americas are probably the crown jewel of the franchise, serving as both compelling character dramas and amazing action films.
LADY Image CLUCK
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

I have yet to see this, but I'm thinking I probably will. I haven't seen too many Marvel films (or even superhero films, really), but I have seen the two previous Captain America ones and I was pleasantly impressed by them. It's good to see that Civil War is one of, if not the, best of the Marvel films.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
ce1ticmoon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ce1ticmoon »

I saw this on opening night (pre-opening night?--Thursday), and I was very happy with it as well.

I think I need to see it at least another time to make a better assessment, but my initial reaction is that it isn't quite as good as The Winter Soldier, which I was blown away by the first time I saw it. For right now, I'd probably place Civil War at #2 or #3 among the MCU films, in direct competition with Guardians of the Galaxy. In any case, it is definitely one of the highlights of the MCU so far.

Overall, I agree with the assessment that it did a really great job of juggling a lot of characters, yet still managing to be a Steve Rogers/Captain America film first and foremost. All of the heroes got a chance to shine, some more than others, of course, but the Russos have done an amazing job at striking a great balance. I loved T'Challa/Black Panther--I felt that his inclusion into the film was very organic, Boseman's portrayal was great, and I can't wait to see what Ryan Coogler will do with the character. (And maybe Bucky will be in the film too!?)

I've seen some comments from people who think that this film had "yet another weak Marvel villain," but I actually think it was the complete opposite. Sure, the villain wasn't flashy or causing world-ending damage, but Baron Zemo was portrayed with subtlety, and he is actually one of the only Marvel villains to have succeeded in his plan, which here, was to tear apart the Avengers. While there was already some disagreement brewing among the Avengers before he came into the picture, he is the one who cemented and expanded the rift among the heroes. And it seems like we may yet see him in the future.

One criticism I have, though, is how short-changed characters like Crossbones and Agent 13 were. I'm pretty sure they would have had much larger roles in a third Captain America film that didn't go for the Civil War storyline. I'm not particularly invested in these characters, but I felt that the end of The Winter Soldier definitely set the characters up for more prominent roles in the future, so while it isn't a huge criticism, I just felt it was kinda a missed opportunity, and I feel a bit sorry for the actors. At least Agent 13 is still alive and has a chance to reprise her role though. Killing off Crossbones so quickly seemed like somewhat of a waste.

And I really loved Ant-Man and Spider-Man--in a lot of ways they stole the show. (Basically all of the good humor came from them.) But, I also felt they were the least organically included in this film. They were thrown into the brawl without any real prior connection to these characters, or any type of organic integration (unlike, say, Black Panther). It just seemed a bit forced when they had no personal stakes in the conflict and no ties to any of the Avengers (and no, I don't count Scott and Sam as having any real connection). But this is a small criticism, since they were actually integrated into the story fairly well despite having little to no business being there.

One thing that this film really did, though, for better or for worse, was to cement the serialized nature of the MCU. I felt that Age of Ultron was absolutely essential viewing for understanding and enjoying a lot of what went down in this film, and the ending is sure to affect many of the MCU films going forward. I mean, the films have always been connected, but it seems that Marvel is increasingly relying on the audience to have seen all of their films. At this point, I'm pretty committed to seeing all of the films, so I don't mind, and it actually makes it more fun, but people who only want to see films with their favorite characters will probably become increasingly lost as the story moves forward.