DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:05 pm 
Platinum Edition

I listened to the OBC recording a few days ago and thought it was very good. I like the cast outside of Clopin (even if Patrick Page of course doesn't match Tony Jay) … although strangely, I liked “Topsy Turvy” more here than in the movie? Not vocally, but functionally, I guess. It might be because of the addition of "Rhythm of the Tambourine" and "Rest and Recreation" in the middle that makes it work better? Altogether, it reminds me of "Portobello Road" in a way, as far as capturing a partying atmosphere. Anyway, I especially loved Ciara Renée as Esmeralda; her voice reminded me of Audra McDonald at moments. The use of “Someday” was fantastic, imo. I’ve never been fond of the way the song’s tacked on at the end and it always felt very cheesy that way, but the musical made me like it.

I know they both involve Stephen Schwartz--so it wasn't surprising--but I was greatly reminded of Wicked during most of the narration additions. "Made of Stone" sounded just like "No Good Deed," too. The only thing that annoyed me is how a couple of the songs taken from the film aren’t given time to breathe. “God Help the Outcasts” and “Hellfire” sound like they are rushing to the finish line compared to what’s in the film. Because I loved Renée, I was disappointed they did that to “GHtO” because I would've liked to hear her version of an arrangement closer to the film's. Except for "Into Notre Dame," "Flight Into Egypt" and "Rhythm of the Tambourine," the new songs didn't stand out to me, but they were all serviceable and none were bad at least.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:21 am 
Collector's Edition

I still have to get this! I'm so broke at the moment, though, it may be a while! I've listened to a few tracks on Youtube, and I'm all ready starting to get antsy about it! I really love Made of Stone and Esmeralda. Out There is pretty great. The Bells of Notre Dame still gives me chills, even though it's a lot clunkier here than in the film. I don't much care for this Clopin at all, I'm afraid. It's hard to hold a candle to Paul Kandel. Topsy-Turvy and The Court of Miracles just feel...off to me. In a Place of Miracles isn't as bad as I thought it would be, but I'm still not sold on it. (I like that Quasi's reprise of Heaven's Light is tucked in there now!) I still haven't really listened to any of Esmeralda's songs or the Finale (I'm trying to save SOME surprises for when I actually buy the album!) but I definitely like it so far! I think, naturally, that the film versions are still THE classic versions of these songs, but it's so nice to hear them with 'fresh ears.' It's almost hard to believe that I've been obsessed with this score for 20 years now!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:18 pm 
Limited Edition

I continue to hope that Disney will continue it's legacy soundtrack collection and include the Hunchback score. So many (cut) songs could be featured there and it would be nice to have the complete score (including Quasimodo's short reprise of "Heaven's Light") released.

Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:05 am 
Collector's Edition

Took my family to see The Little Mermaid at La Mirada Theater for the Performing Arts tonight and was surprised to see HoND will be there in September!

(sometimes it's awesome to live in SoCal again)

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Tom-Hewitt-and-Lesli-Margherita-to-Star-in-HUNCHBACK-OF-NOTRE-DAME-as-Part-of-La-Miradas-2016-17-Season-20160421

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:48 am 
Special Edition

Prince Edward wrote:
I continue to hope that Disney will continue it's legacy soundtrack collection and include the Hunchback score. So many (cut) songs could be featured there and it would be nice to have the complete score (including Quasimodo's short reprise of "Heaven's Light") released.

I second that motion! :) :up:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:28 am 
Platinum Edition

Disney's Hunchback of Notre Dame to Receive New Outdoor Production
http://www.theatermania.com/utah-theate ... 74623.html

Slow Burn Theatre to Stage 'HUNCHBACK', TITANIC and More in 2016-17
http://www.broadwayworld.com/fort-laude ... 7-20160226

Tom Hewitt and Lesli Margherita to Star in HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME as Part of La Mirada's 2016-17 Season
http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/To ... n-20160421

THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME Having Its New England Premiere at Maine's Ogunquit Playhouse
http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/TH ... e-20160711

What Ever Happened to Hunchback?
http://www.playbill.com/article/what-ev ... -hunchback

New musical ‘The Hunchback of Notre Dame’ premieres at Music Circus
http://www.villagelife.com/entertainmen ... ic-circus/

Deaf actor in lead role for Music Circus’ darker ‘Hunchback’
http://www.sacbee.com/entertainment/art ... 50247.html

Deaf Actor Plays Lead Role at Music Circus
http://fox40.com/2016/08/19/deaf-actor- ... ic-circus/

An authentically deaf 'Hunchback'
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/deaf ... sical.html

For the First Time, One of Classic Literature's Iconic Deaf Characters is Being Played by a Deaf Actor
http://www.laweekly.com/arts/for-the-fi ... or-7363612

Photo Flash: First Look at Deaf Actor John McGinty, Lesli Margherita, Mark Jacoby and More in HUNCHBACK at Music Circus
http://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwmusic/a ... s-20160824

BWW Feature: Slow Burn Theatre Company's THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME
http://www.broadwayworld.com/fort-laude ... E-20160917

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:03 pm 
Limited Edition

Bought the soundtrack on iTunes (and I plan to get it on CD), and I think it's really, really great! I hope the stage version will get a proper Broadway treatment at some point. A live action musical movie would also have been cool.

Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:50 am 
Collector's Edition

So I saw the show tonight in LaMirada. It was decent, but after seeing it, I can kind of see why they decided not to put it on Broadway.

What worked: the songs. Every song was really good. I can't think of any that were useless or that fell flat (can't say the same of any other Disney on Broadway show, with maybe the exception of Aladdin). The staging. They recycled the main set piece and cleverly lit in each scene such that the same set functione as the inside of a church, the outside of a church, a village square, a prison cell, a brothel, the court of miracles . . . Almost all of it believable. The additional story/story tweaks. If you've listened to the soundtrack you know a bit more of Frollo's backstory and that was carried through and developed during the show. Frollo is more tortured and repressed in this version rather than maniacal like he seems to be in the film. The gargoyles. That was really surprising to me. I always felt like they detracted from the story in the film, but the way they are used on stage drives the story forward, but doesn't detract from it.

What didn't work: the pacing. Much like TPatF, the story is so rushed and the pacing is so swift that what should be "kick you in the feels" moments (Top of the World, In a Place of Miracles, Someday) feel very forced. They don't leave any room for there to be any chemistry between Phoebus and Esmeralsa so they don't come off as believable. And consequently you don't feel much sympathy for Quasimodo either. The tone. There is zero levity in this show. I think I heard maybe one chuckle the entire time. i wasn't expecting it to be Aladdin-funny or anything, but even Topsy Turvy didn't manage to be a bright spot.

The story ends differently than the movie Esmeralda dies, not just swoons but it works.

Anyway, those were my thoughts/impressions. Others may very well receive it differently. I did enjoy the show a lot, just not as much as I thought I would.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:50 am 
Platinum Edition

RyGuy wrote:
The tone. There is zero levity in this show. I think I heard maybe one chuckle the entire time. i wasn't expecting it to be Aladdin-funny or anything, but even Topsy Turvy didn't manage to be a bright spot.

The story ends differently than the movie Esmeralda dies, not just swoons but it works.

I don't think the tone has a problem that would keep it from Broadway. It has a dark, serious, mature tone - that's perfect for Broadway for the adult crowd. As for the ending, just to let you know, that's the original book's ending, if you didn't know.

I felt really bad for Quasimodo so I don't think there was a problem there, but maybe the pacing really is off.

Glad you liked the rest of it. I really can't remember a bad song from the show, either.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:13 pm 
Platinum Edition

The show's coming to Germany in April 2017! We've come full circle! :P

Update: Disney Germany has released music videos for the songs Out There and Someday.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:38 pm 
Limited Edition

I'm excited it's returning to Germany. And I love the logo! Maybe the success in other countries will spark an interest for Disney to bring it to Broadway.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:39 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Sotiris wrote:
The show's coming to Germany in April 2017! We've come full circle! :P

Indeed ;)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:45 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

This is really the only one that has any business being turned into a live action remake. It would be glorious. I've been listening to the musical's soundtrack and it really is fantastic. The new songs are great and the reprises of familiar tunes hit all the right beats. Menken's magnum opus as far as I'm concerned.

I doubt Disney would go there though. It would take balls and they have none.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:32 pm 
Platinum Edition

Yea, I SO agree PatrickvD. But I wonder if enough people loved it, or if it made enough money elsewhere, or if the right people were in charge, or Disney finally did get their balls back...someday, it could be made. Someday...when they are wiser, when the world's older, when they have learned... I bet it could be a great contender for Best Picture.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:12 pm 
Platinum Edition

Poster for the Japanese production.

Source: http://stagemanager.net/current-future-projects/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:44 pm 
Limited Edition

I'm glad the musical is coming to more countries. Hope the story gets more love!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:39 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

ProfessorRatigan wrote:
I couldn't be happier that it's coming to Broadway at last... But, I can't help but feel, as a major fan of the original film and one of its steadfast defenders, that they're kind of letting us down by distancing themselves from the film so much. Like, "Oh, THAT piece of shit? The one you guys have loved and stood by all these years? Well, we're going to go in a DRASTIC direction from THAT." I don't know. I just wish they'd STAND UP for their original vision, instead of trying to cater to the Hugo purists, who are going to hate this regardless of what they do (which is ironic, considering that Victor Hugo HIMSELF adapted Hunchback into an opera that made even bigger changes to the source material than DISNEY'S did. Not only did Esmeralda live in the opera 'La Esmeralda,' but Frollo did as well. And Phoebus, who SURVIVES in the book, dies. It's WAY more drastic than anything Disney did, but ssh, don't tell the book's fans...)

In short, I hated nearly every character in that damned book. I like the Disney version BECAUSE it's the Disney version and not an exact replica of the book. We all ready HAVE the damned book. If you want that version of the story, READ IT! It's there. So, why not stay truer to the spirit of the animated film? This is all speculation, of course, based upon what I've read of the changes that have been made. Some of them (explicitly making Frollo a former priest), I'm TOTALLY down with. But, cutting the Gargoyles? Changing Clopin so radically? Killing Esmeralda? I can't say these are making me anything other than anxious. :huh:

Hey there, ProfessorRatigan. I'm writing a blog entry about the stage adaptation of this movie. Just wondering, could I use your words in my entry?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:39 am 
Platinum Edition

Ciara Renée sings Someday/God Help the Outcasts during The Broadway Princess Party at Feinstein's/54 Below.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:42 am 
Limited Edition

I'm glad she hasn't completely left the role behind yet. I loved her performance and especially how similar she sounded to Disney's Esmeralda.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:37 pm 
Collector's Edition

DisneyFan09 wrote:
ProfessorRatigan wrote:
I couldn't be happier that it's coming to Broadway at last... But, I can't help but feel, as a major fan of the original film and one of its steadfast defenders, that they're kind of letting us down by distancing themselves from the film so much. Like, "Oh, THAT piece of shit? The one you guys have loved and stood by all these years? Well, we're going to go in a DRASTIC direction from THAT." I don't know. I just wish they'd STAND UP for their original vision, instead of trying to cater to the Hugo purists, who are going to hate this regardless of what they do (which is ironic, considering that Victor Hugo HIMSELF adapted Hunchback into an opera that made even bigger changes to the source material than DISNEY'S did. Not only did Esmeralda live in the opera 'La Esmeralda,' but Frollo did as well. And Phoebus, who SURVIVES in the book, dies. It's WAY more drastic than anything Disney did, but ssh, don't tell the book's fans...)

In short, I hated nearly every character in that damned book. I like the Disney version BECAUSE it's the Disney version and not an exact replica of the book. We all ready HAVE the damned book. If you want that version of the story, READ IT! It's there. So, why not stay truer to the spirit of the animated film? This is all speculation, of course, based upon what I've read of the changes that have been made. Some of them (explicitly making Frollo a former priest), I'm TOTALLY down with. But, cutting the Gargoyles? Changing Clopin so radically? Killing Esmeralda? I can't say these are making me anything other than anxious. :huh:

Hey there, ProfessorRatigan. I'm writing a blog entry about the stage adaptation of this movie. Just wondering, could I use your words in my entry?

Oh, wow. Sorry, I JUST saw this! Yes, you may! But I have to say: this post was written QUITE some time ago (well before the soundtrack to the stage-show was released). I have since actually gotten to listen to it and, while I think it has SOME minor issues, I couldn't be more happy with how Hunchback was handled for the stage. My anxieties were overblown, but, Hunchback, the original Disney film, means more to me than I can put into words (though that hasn't stopped me from typing endlessly about it, as many forum members here will surely attest! :lol: ).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next