What is up with this year's catalog DVDs?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
buffalobill
Anniversary Edition

What is up with this year's catalog DVDs?

Post by buffalobill »

Is there no consistency applied to the newly & upcoming releases? I'm looking forward to a ton of titles set for release but according to our review Computer Wore Tennis Shoes is non oar, yet Now You See Him, Now You Don't will be oar. Can't they even get the Medfield comedies all uniform? Love Bug SE is of course oar but all the sequels will not. I've just recently sent an email detailing to Disney the money they're losing & will lose if they continue to show absolutely NO respect for the films that helped build the Disney live action movie name. I got the usual thanks for your input, we'll forward it to the marketing dept. response & you can call blah blah blah. They say that the 50+ catalog titles set for the rest of the year will all be oar. I BET 1/2 at least are not. We'll get more Blackbeard's Ghosts & Gnome-Mobiles but since J6P will buy them they may not realize how many sales they are losing. Doesn't anyone at Disneydvd care any more??? Or did they ever???
15 gallon 7 pint blood donor as of 1-4-11. Done donating. Apparently having Cancer makes you kind of ineligible to donate.
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

I think they've gotten a tiny bit better with this year's releases than the catalogue releases of mid-2002 through all of 2003. But the sad truth is they were more consistently delivering widescreen presentations of their films in their earliest live action discs, like 1998 and 1999. Admittedly, these were not enhanced for 16 x 9 televisions, but they were nearly always widescreen. That they ignored their classic library of live action titles is disappointing not just because we had to wait so long to get them on DVD, but because they've been rushing them all out and most with the 'fullscreen is fine' mentality.

Widescreen releases of "Those Calloways", "The Absent Minded Professor" (the black and white reissue), and now "Now You See Him..." give hope for some titles (beyond the first-class Vault Disney SE line), but it's still disappointing that the overwhelming majority that should be widescreen aren't. Like you, I'm highly suspicious that the rest of this year's catalogue output will be OAR.

It's particularly distressing when the rest of the world can get 16x9-enhanced DVDs of nearly all the live action films from 1980 to the present, at least.
woody8713

Post by woody8713 »

i dont know what im dooooing :oops: