DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:36 pm 
Special Edition

milojthatch wrote:
disneyphilip wrote:
milojthatch wrote:
Disney TV Animation has jumped the shark. It now feels more like Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon than Disney. It's too bad, what I wouldn't give for a return to the "Disney Afternoon" feel of 20+ years ago!

I disagree.

Why? Unless you can honestly tell me that Wonder Over Yonder fits with the tones of such classics as Peter Pan, The Jungle Book and The Lion King? In the late 90's, Disney TV Animation was trying to buck the "feel" of traditional Disney tone and not be locked into one kind of show, and hey, I get that. Even Walt Disney liked to play with styles. The difference is between say a Gravity Falls vs. a Gargoyles is that Gargoyles at it's heart still had that Disney tone. Like Greg Weisman once told me, look at Night on Bald Mountain an example of that.So even when DTVA was experimenting, the shows still felt like Disney.

Then we come to today, an era where Disney seems ashamed that they are Disney. You are free to disagree of course (which I'm sure makes the suites at Disney happy), but I feel very strongly that 9 out of 10 times, modern Disney TV Animation lacks that Disney magic that stuff from the 80's, 90's and even early 2000's had. These days Disney is just another studio making ho hum movies and shows, and that makes me sad. :(

In all honesty you are correct in your assumption, but at what point do you feel the downward spiral begun?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:59 pm 
Special Edition

milojthatch wrote:
Again, that is just proving my point. Those character designs for “Billy Dilley’s Super-Duper Subterranean Summer” and “Country Club” feel more at home with Cartoon Network than something with the "Disney" name on it. I want to say I'm disappointed, but at this point, it's kind of expected sadly. I still have hope for DuckTales 2017. I want that to be good. From the promo image, it might have more a Barks feel to it than the original show, which I'm fully down with.

Funny you should mention Cartoon Network Studio which started as subdivision of Hanna-Barbera. I feel modern Cartoon Network Studio shows are having the exact same problem when compaired to classic Hanna-Barbera shows that they lacking "heart" and "magic" compared to the earlier HB product and the exact same trend as with Disney TV animation and every other studio still in operation seems to be following this trend far as TV animation goes. Which tells me that this is rather culture problem in the American TV industry or we grew up. Although I would think its the former as there has been compelling and apealing theatrical animation made since mid-2000s.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:13 pm 
Collector's Edition

Let us begin by stating the obvious. In a creative sense or just plain basic animation aesthetic I for one am appaled by what graces the tv screen on a daily bases. The lack of basic anatomy in most animated characters turns my stomach as much as it hurts my eyes. The music and dialogue of any show is below any standard when compared to previous, earlier 80's & 90's outings. I for one blame Pokemon and Shin Chan albeit mildly amusing. It started off a trend from which anything that followed was more bizarre and horendous than what came before. All beauty was lost never to be found again. Disney added insult to injury. Most recently with the 7D's..a show that one can only assume would have Walt roll in his grave should he have been alive today. It's as If The Lion King and Snow white are fainted memory. Lost to us forever to make place for less and less art. The magic word? Haste! Why spend hours and hours on end in story meetings when one can spit out something in a matter of seconds. ..7D im looking at you again! As long as people will turn their children towards the screen ..It's good enough for the masses. Cynic? No..Realist? Yes.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:08 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

REINIER wrote:
It's as If The Lion King and Snow white are fainted memory.
That's a bit of an odd thing to say considering we have a very well done (for tv) Lion King spinoff.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:30 pm 
Platinum Edition

I think Reinier was referring to the animation quality of the feature films.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:00 am 
Collector's Edition

@Kyle...not my best example, but you see my point...@ Disney Divinity..actually I meant a little of both. ..as much as I enjoyed the latter feautures (2000 & onwards) imo none came close to what came before

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 3:33 am 
Platinum Edition

The intro for the series "Billy Dilley’s Super-Duper Subterranean Summer" has been released. Why does Disney keep making these? :huh:

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 5:16 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Heil Donald Duck wrote:

In all honesty you are correct in your assumption, but at what point do you feel the downward spiral begun?

That's a good question. I could say it started with Shnookums and Meat back in 1995 or even Pepper Ann a few years later, but they were exceptions to the rule at the time. No, I guess I'd have to say it really started once Disney TV Animation moved from syndication and network television and was made exclusively for cable. Many of the series in the 2000's straddled the line between being traditionally Disney and copying Cartoon Network, with more of those series tipping closer to the feel of a Cartoon Network show. The Buzz on Maggie and The Replacements come to mind.

However, I guess I'd have to say they didn't officially cross that barrier until the 2010's with Fish Hooks, Gravity Falls and Wonder Over Yonder. I'd say the last staunchly "Disney" DTVA series was 2006's Lilo and Stitch: The Series, which like the film it's based on, maintained it's own style while still holding onto traditional Disney styles. I miss those days. :(

The irony is that I am well aware that a number of creatives from The Disney Afternoon and One Saturday Morning days actually like the way it is today better. I know this becuase a few of them have told me as much directly or I have read their comments in general. Despite that, I personally am not a fan. I decided a long time ago what I expect from my favorite animation studio and I see no reason to alter that view today even if they have. The Disney style made Disney the brand unique and for decades was the envy of most of the animation world. Frankly, you could slap any other studio's logos on the shows coming out of DTVA today and I doubt few would know the difference. I find that sad, but maybe the saddest part is how many "fans" are OK with this. Lots of folks these days more interested in the outside of the package than the inside. It's tragic.

Heil Donald Duck wrote:
Funny you should mention Cartoon Network Studio which started as subdivision of Hanna-Barbera. I feel modern Cartoon Network Studio shows are having the exact same problem when compaired to classic Hanna-Barbera shows that they lacking "heart" and "magic" compared to the earlier HB product and the exact same trend as with Disney TV animation and every other studio still in operation seems to be following this trend far as TV animation goes. Which tells me that this is rather culture problem in the American TV industry or we grew up. Although I would think its the former as there has been compelling and apealing theatrical animation made since mid-2000s.

After Warner Bros. bought Turner and Hanna-Barbera, I don't really feel that anything original on Cartoon Network could be thought of as H-B in the traditional sense. However, let's not forget that well before Warner joined the party, H-B was starting to shift gears with What a Cartoon Show, which ultimately gave rise to the early years of original series on CN and really shaped that brand. All of that happened at least a year before WB. I kind of feel however that at that time the TV cartoon landscape was so diverse and H-B, the once proud king of TV cartons was in such decline, that What a Cartoon Show was sort of their way of screaming to the world that they were still there.

I should also point out that I personally have no issue with different styles of animation and in fact see it as a good thing for animation as a while to diversify. The world needs things like UPA, Don Bluth or Nick Toons. I just don't feel that most of that is appropriate for Disney, that's all.

All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:05 pm 
Platinum Edition

Disney has released the intro to "Big City Greens" (formerly known as "Country Club") which is scheduled to premiere in 2018 on Disney XD.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:59 pm 
Limited Edition

The walls at Disney Television Animation have been decorated with the characters from the shows they have done over the years, including the Disney Afternoon series:

http://disneytvanimation.com/post/16630 ... e-them-all
https://twitter.com/NicoColaleo/status/ ... 2711361537
https://twitter.com/ScottDPeterson1/sta ... 4837635072

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:07 am 
Platinum Edition

DTVA's working on a new show called "Amphibia" (formerly known as "Amphibioland").

Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/BcLfdQKFjOD/