Song of the South

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Khonnor
Special Edition

Re: Song of the South

Post by Khonnor »

Is the 6 disc set still for sale somewhere or am I not looking in the right place? :-)
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Gurgi30 wrote:That's really all that's needed from So Dear unless you don't have the movie. I'll give a review of the contents of the Treasure like set once I've gotten it and had a chance to watch it.
Yeah, I already have the regular DVD but I was searching for the Brazilian one and I couldn't find it anywhere for a reasonable price.
Khonnor wrote:Is the 6 disc set still for sale somewhere or am I not looking in the right place? :-)
I think it's sold out because the listing is down. I've asked the seller if there are plans to restock and make more, because I'm starting to have a nagging suspicion that the seller may have just made the one.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Khonnor
Special Edition

Post by Khonnor »

JeanGreyForever wrote: I think it's sold out because the listing is down. I've asked the seller if there are plans to restock and make more, because I'm starting to have a nagging suspicion that the seller may have just made the one.
Great. Please share what their response is. :)
Gurgi30
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Gurgi30 »

I think their was just the one listed but it also sounded like he/she can/will make more when reading the description. I hope you get a favorable response. The seller has some other very interesting stuff not available on DVD.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Khonnor wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote: I think it's sold out because the listing is down. I've asked the seller if there are plans to restock and make more, because I'm starting to have a nagging suspicion that the seller may have just made the one.
Great. Please share what their response is. :)
They will be back on stock at the beginning of next week. :) So there's definitely more than one.
ImageImage
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

I feel like since Disney is fantasy they could have had Uncle Remus leave the plantation for a better, free and independent life. I know the film is only supposed to be fantasy in the stories he tells, but I say the film isn't exactly historical either.
Khonnor
Special Edition

Post by Khonnor »

JeanGreyForever wrote:They will be back on stock at the beginning of next week. :) So there's definitely more than one.
Great. Thanks for the update.
So, did anyone from here order this specific set and could share their thoughts on the content and quality?
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Khonnor wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:They will be back on stock at the beginning of next week. :) So there's definitely more than one.
Great. Thanks for the update.
So, did anyone from here order this specific set and could share their thoughts on the content and quality?
Gurgi30 ordered it and said he would post a review after it arrives.
ImageImage
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

For anyone who purchased the 6-disc set, has it arrived yet, and if so, what are your thoughts on it? I was going to purchase one, but I wanted to wait for a review just in case.
ImageImage
Khonnor
Special Edition

Post by Khonnor »

I purchased the 6disc set as well about a week ago and it arrived yesterday. It looks pretty authentic and well made for a homemade bootleg. I haven't checked the discs yet for quality but I don't expect much since these are VHS rips and tv-rips. Will probably watch between Christmas and New year's.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Khonnor wrote:I purchased the 6disc set as well about a week ago and it arrived yesterday. It looks pretty authentic and well made for a homemade bootleg. I haven't checked the discs yet for quality but I don't expect much since these are VHS rips and tv-rips. Will probably watch between Christmas and New year's.
Thanks for the info. I guess I have no reason now not to buy one as well, so I'm excited for this.
ImageImage
geniuswalt
Gold Classic Collection

Post by geniuswalt »

Definitely not breaking news (it's from February 2017)
But was not aware until now

"Also, new 4K restoration work has been done on Disney’s Song of the South to fix certain shots previously out of alignment (because of a faulty camera used during the original photography), though no public release is currently planned."
http://www.digitalbits.com/columns/my-t ... 22417-0100
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

geniuswalt wrote:Definitely not breaking news (it's from February 2017)
But was not aware until now

"Also, new 4K restoration work has been done on Disney’s Song of the South to fix certain shots previously out of alignment (because of a faulty camera used during the original photography), though no public release is currently planned."
http://www.digitalbits.com/columns/my-t ... 22417-0100
It's great that they at least take care of preserving the film. And it's actually quite encouraging, maybe it means something else and they don't rule out a release in the future.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I purchased the six-disc set and it arrived in perfect condition and super promptly! I don't have a DVD player right now for me to review the discs, but hopefully in a few weeks time, I'll be able to do that so anyone on the fence about the product can make up their mind.
ImageImage
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I finally got around to checking out the 6-disc set. No one ever said that a link couldn't be included so here it is. The full listing of bonus features is included here alongside pictures of the packaging and the disc art.
https://www.bonanza.com/listings/Walt-D ... /552280929

The packaging is really well done and in the Disney Treasures style but without the tin cannister. There's even an insert which features information on the film and some promotional images, which is better than anything Disney's been including in their releases lately.

Disc 1 is from MayanCastleDVD which the DVD menu also shows before this logo fades away. A few members on this site have said before that this version has the best picture quality out of all the other editions. I'd describe it as low-level DVD quality myself, but I suppose it's the best of what's out there. Because of this, it also has the fewest bonus features, which isn't an issue since the other discs included a plethora of bonus features. There are no subtitles on this disc though, or for that matter, on any of the discs.

Disc 2 is also the movie but a slightly lower picture quality which I would describe as VHS quality. There are also several more bonus features and weirdly enough, even the entire film soundtrack. For some reason, when you start playing a bonus features, the next ones automatically start up as well and this continues with the soundtrack. Whenever the soundtrack finishes, my DVD would freeze up my entire Blu-Ray player unless I unplugged it. I'm not sure if this would happen to other people as well though.

Disc 3 includes more bonus features, but a lot of the disc's content isn't really related to Song of the South. There are several shorts, both Disney and non-Disney, which have been "banned" from the US such as De Sebben Dwarfs and Disney's own The Martins and the Coys. I'm assuming the latter will likely be redundant so rumor has it that Melody Time and Make Mine Music will be uncensored when they're released on Blu-Ray like Saludos Amigos was. Several Donald WWII shorts are on here as well for those who don't have the Treasures War set. They have Sing-Along songs from the Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah VHS, but interestingly enough, not all of them are included. All the ones after Casey Junior aren't on the DVD for some reason, and the quality of these songs aren't very nice being from VHS and all, but I guess they're a nice enough addition.

Disc 4 is the Disneyland Episode telling the story of Joel Chandler Harris and it's also not the best quality, but that's to be expected and it's nice enough to have anyway.

Disc 5 is the soundtrack which makes the inclusion of the soundtrack on Disc 2 incredibly redundant.

Disc 6 is So Dear to My Heart and it's the Brazilian version which is the best version of the film. Unlike the others, this is a real Disney DVD and the menu will open up to ask you if you want to watch the film in English, Portuguese, or Spanish. The reason the Brazilian version is best is because it features almost 30 minutes of unused footage, which don't come with sound but do feature commentary. The US DVD didn't have this for some reason and instead included some shorts that were barely related to the film in the first place. The Brazilian DVD is incredibly difficult to track down now, so this seems to be the easiest way to get this film in its best DVD offering. Since this is an actual Disney DVD, it does feature subtitles.

Overall, I would recommend this as the definitive home video release of Song of the South. It features the best picture quality with I think all the bonus features that have been available so far, plus the soundtrack. And you get its sister film, So Dear to My Heart in its best DVD version which can't be easily found otherwise. The price is double the normal price for a DVD but that makes sense for 6 discs that cover two films and I found the seller trustworthy and the item came packaged safely and in very little time.
ImageImage