The Lion Guard

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Patricier21
Special Edition

Re: Lion King spin-off "The Lion Guard' to air on Disney Jun

Post by Patricier21 »

disneyprincess11 wrote:Brand new trailer

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/lio ... d=33038872

So, this confirms that this place during Lion King 2 with young Kiara, being present. Despite flaws, the animation looks gorgeous. But, man. Simba's voice :lol:
Judging by the movie, it looks like the series will be pretty good. Only complaint is that Rob Lowe just doesn't cut it as Simba. Cam Carke or Mathew Broderick need to come back, like how John Goodman came back for season 2 of Emperor's New School
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

ok, first of all,
begin zoology nerd rant:

Ill say it again, I hate hate the scavengers are evil mentality they are pushing(educational my ass.) Id love to see an episode where they get rid of all the scavengers only to find the Pride Lands knee deep in rotting carcasses after a week. Also I assume that Shenzi's clan never came back after the 2nd film and this is a new clan we're seeing, but why are they being lead by a male? Hyenas are matriarchal. Finally, I hate the cheetah's design, it doesn't look like a cheetah, the head is wrong, the spots are wrong, the ears are way too big, she bugs the hell out of me!

end zoology nerd rant...

ok that aside, it was ok but nothing special, I mean, yeah, its a toddler show. Some of the face animation is really good but some of the animation when the characters are walking is awful, especially when they show the lions at a distance. Also why did the adult characters shrink? The adult lions look like midgets and Pumba is now the same size as the cubs. I hate the honey badger, he's probably only in this show b/c of an internet meme.
jazzflower92
Anniversary Edition

Post by jazzflower92 »

unprincess wrote:ok, first of all,
begin zoology nerd rant:

Ill say it again, I hate hate the scavengers are evil mentality they are pushing(educational my ass.) Id love to see an episode where they get rid of all the scavengers only to find the Pride Lands knee deep in rotting carcasses after a week. Also I assume that Shenzi's clan never came back after the 2nd film and this is a new clan we're seeing, but why are they being lead by a male? Hyenas are matriarchal. Finally, I hate the cheetah's design, it doesn't look like a cheetah, the head is wrong, the spots are wrong, the ears are way too big, she bugs the hell out of me!

end zoology nerd rant...

ok that aside, it was ok but nothing special, I mean, yeah, its a toddler show. Some of the face animation is really good but some of the animation when the characters are walking is awful, especially when they show the lions at a distance. Also why did the adult characters shrink? The adult lions look like midgets and Pumba is now the same size as the cubs. I hate the honey badger, he's probably only in this show b/c of an internet meme.
The hyenas are shown here not to be scavengers but hunters who overeat their share. Also I have this theory that the clan is actually full of male hyenas kicked out from their original clans. Interesting tidbit is the fact that male hyenas don't stay with their birth clan while female hyenas do.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

actually thats a nice idea. Maybe the hyena trio from the first film come back as "reformed" hyenas who learn to only scavange(even though real hyenas are hunters as well.) A bit cheesy, but again its a kids show...

I forgot to mention, Rob Lowe is an awful replacement for Broderick, his voice is too deep. At least Timon & Rafiki's new voices are better matches to the originals.
stevemcqueen
Gold Classic Collection

Post by stevemcqueen »

The Lion Guard: Return Of The Roar will be released on DVD February 2nd, 2016:

http://dvdlist.kazart.com/queryDVD2.php3?id=285655
http://zeusonline.ca/267353
http://store.cineplex.com/store/recordd ... rod2370039#

No listing for a Blu-ray release at the moment.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Just finished it. Not bad at all. The animation was for the most part pretty solid for a tv production. There was definitely some wonky walk cycles in there though. And you can tell there's almost a puppet quality to the movements, but its not typical flash cutout animation either. The best way I think of to describe it is animated vector curves.

Rob Lowe was literally the worst part about the whole thing. Seriously, If we absolutely can't have matthew broderick, at least find a decent sound alike. This was just Rob speaking slowly.

Other nitpicks: catch phrase overuse, over-sized canine teeth in the designs. Badly animated extras.

I'll be curious to see if the actual series will take a noticeable step down in quality/budget animation wise. Sometimes they put more into these tv movies than the series proper.
REINIER
Anniversary Edition

Post by REINIER »

I wonder wether this will see a home video release. ..and If so ..will it be blu or dvd...
When it comes to brains, I got the lion-share,
but when it comes to bruth strength, I'm afraid I'm at the shallow end of the gene pool
REINIER
Anniversary Edition

Post by REINIER »

I wonder wether this will see a home video release. ..and If so ..will it be blu or dvd...
When it comes to brains, I got the lion-share,
but when it comes to bruth strength, I'm afraid I'm at the shallow end of the gene pool
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

VideoETA reports that The Lion Guard: Return of the Roar is also set for Blu-ray February 2016!!!:
http://videoeta.com/movie/179652/the-li ... -the-roar/

This is of course very positive news, but Disney should consider this also for their other shows like Gravity Falls and Wander Over Yonder.

UPDATE 12/12: Turns out it's only coming to DVD.

Also, series premiere next month!:
http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/the-lio ... 201657485/
Last edited by Mickeyfan1990 on Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Well, this is....confusing....
Kovu, Nuka, and Vitani will all guest star on The Lion Guard and will be voiced by their original voice actors: James Marsden, Andy Dick, and Lacey Chabert, respectively, Entertainment Weekly reports. All are children of Zira (who will, for now, not appear in The Lion Guard) and descendants of Scar. Kovu, of course, goes on to be Kiara’s love interest.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/09/li ... ate-disney
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

I dont care, we get to see more Vitani, yeay! but they should have recast Nuka...just b/c Andy Dick is a horrible human being who shouldnt be getting work anywhere.

I guess they'll be a clique of "bad" lion bullies. Interesting.
Will be eagerly awaiting that positive hyena character.
Last edited by unprincess on Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nachonaco
Special Edition

Post by nachonaco »

My guess is it's a 'this is your future' type episode.
Man has a dream
And that's the start
He follows his dream
With mind and heart
And when it becomes a reality
It's a dream come true
For you and me!
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I saw the first episode. It was a little boring, but I'll try to watch the series. Interesting that they're taking Simba's Pride into account since the cheapquels are usually ignored. Of course, I actually didn't mind SP, so I'm okay with the choice.

I hope Disney makes more TV series based on old properties.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I saw the first episode. It was a little boring, but I'll try to watch the series. Interesting that they're taking Simba's Pride into account since the cheapquels are usually ignored. Of course, I actually didn't mind SP, so I'm okay with the choice.
Personally I thought the cheapquels weren't that horrible when Disney first launched them. And they acutally got worse afterwards And due to "SP" being one of the firsts, it belongs to the category. It's a cute and endearing movie, though it's hampered by a weak screenplay and sparse character development. But it would be strange if "SP" wasn't taken into consideration, despite the weird addition of Kion.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

This is a clip from the actual first episode, introducing friendly hyena Jasiri.
https://youtu.be/amhhzjbQRMk

Finally! good job Disney, GOOD JOB ! :up:
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

What makes this the first episode and not the rise of makku?
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

I read in some places its described as the first episode? Maybe it airs b4 the one with the crocs on Disney JR/Channel this friday?
#1JasmineFan
Limited Issue

Post by #1JasmineFan »

Aloha! I hope everyone is doing well! I didn't like LG: Return of the Roar much. But I DID LOVE Never Judge a Hyena by its spots! Jasiri is my favorite character, then comes Kion! I love Kiara as well, but I've loved her ever since SP. I'm so glad they created a good hyena for once. I've probably listened to Jasiri's episode at least twelve times or more! While I liked Rise of Makuu, Never Judge a Hyena is my #1 favorite so far! I like how Jasiri acknowledged Janja and his two stooges (that's what I call them) don't adheer to the circle of life, but that doesn't mean all hyenas don't. She's an awesome character and a much needed contrast. I hope we see more of her in future episodes! If anyone is interested, I'm writing an LG fanfic called Sisi Ni Sawa. It's over on fanfiction.net I'm excited for Can't Wait to Be Queen! What did everyone else think of Jasiri or Siri, as I affectionately call her.
"We're more similar than you think, Kion. Sisi ni sawa." Jasiri
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

I loved Jasiri! she was everything I was hoping for! Ive only seen 2 eps so far, I missed the 3rd one b/c I only get Disney Channel and they only air the show once a bit too early for me to catch it. Im hoping to catch up with them all eventually.
I hope we see more of Jasiri and I really hope we get merch of her soon! I so'd buy a plush of her!