Moana (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Moana (Live-Action)

Post by rodrigo_ca »

Just announced at Disney 2023 Annual Meeting of Shareholders Webcast

EDIT:
JUST ANNOUNCED: From Dwayne Johnson and Auli’i Cravalho, a live-action reimagining of Disney’s Moana is in the works!
https://twitter.com/DisneyStudios/statu ... 4922818560
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Re: Moana (Live-action)

Post by Farerb »

The announcement:
https://youtu.be/cHXB-5woeHw

This is a movie that is only six and a half years old :roll:
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Creativity is officially dead at Disney. Wow.
PatchofBlue
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PatchofBlue »

Creativity.png
Creativity.png (253.27 KiB) Viewed 2190 times
robster16
Special Edition

Post by robster16 »

Thanks, I hate it!

It’s time people stop watching this endless barrage of live action remakes. What will Disney do when they run out of original animated content to remake?! Implode or cease to exist?! It has to STOP!!!
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

They'll obviously make animated remakes of the live-actions

I'm still trying to find signs this is an elaborate April Fools joke on the wrong date
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Jared Bush confirms that he will be involved:
https://twitter.com/thejaredbush/status ... H0nZg&s=19

He also confirms that the TV series is still happening:
https://twitter.com/thejaredbush/status ... _0wig&s=19
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Disney is money-hungry so no surprises there, but I believe Dwayne Johnson was instrumental in making this happen. After the debacle that was Black Adam, he's desperate for a franchise/exposure.
"A typical ideologue of all things social justice for the sake of sounding smart and politically proper."

:bow:
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

At least with the Renaissance films and older, I can understand the appeal of cashing in on nostalgia from those who grew up on them. But three-year-olds who saw Moana in theaters would be ten now. A good amount of the children who've grown up with Moana are still children. Who is this for?
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Mooky wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:20 pm Disney is money-hungry so no surprises there, but I believe Dwayne Johnson was instrumental in making this happen. After the debacle that was Black Adam, he's desperate for a franchise/exposure.
That would explain why Moana was chosen as opposed to something a little older like The Princess and the Frog or Tangled.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Avaitor wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:23 pm At least with the Renaissance films and older, I can understand the appeal of cashing in on nostalgia from those who grew up on them. But three-year-olds who saw Moana in theaters would be ten now. A good amount of the children who've grown up with Moana are still children. Who is this for?
I guess you can say that it's not really different than doing a Broadway production shortly after the original film, like Beauty and the Beast, I also heard that Eisner thought about remaking Beauty and the Beast in live action back in the 90s, but it was supposed to be based on the Broadway production and probably with the same cast.
PatchofBlue
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PatchofBlue »

Farerb wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:42 pm
Avaitor wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:23 pm At least with the Renaissance films and older, I can understand the appeal of cashing in on nostalgia from those who grew up on them. But three-year-olds who saw Moana in theaters would be ten now. A good amount of the children who've grown up with Moana are still children. Who is this for?
I guess you can say that it's not really different than doing a Broadway production shortly after the original film, like Beauty and the Beast, I also heard that Eisner thought about remaking Beauty and the Beast in live action back in the 90s, but it was supposed to be based on the Broadway production and probably with the same cast.

I'd say that adapting a film for the stage (or vice-versa) is still jumping mediums in a way that animation to live action isn't. I would take a stage adaptation of Moana in a heartbeat. Don't need a *ahem* watered-down photorealistic retread of a movie made less than a decade ago.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I don't need either to be honest, or a TV series, but I prefer all of them to Moana 2 without Musker and Clements.
robster16
Special Edition

Post by robster16 »

This feels pointless and an insult to the entire animation department, to remake this 6,5 year old movie with the exact same cast and crew! People should refuse to go see this! They won’t, but it’s ridiculous! A kick in the teeth of the animation medium!
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I didn't like Moana that much, to be honest. So, I have really little interest in the remake.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Just the other day, I was thinking why Disney doesn't do more with the Moana property since it's so popular. It's constantly on the top ten most watched streaming movies. It may even be more beloved than Frozen. However, I didn't expect this announcement. This will be the first GC movie from the studio to get a remake. To me the fact that it's such a recent movie doesn't make it worse than remaking Snow White or Beauty and the Beast, though, but it's true it's more surprising. Personally, I would've much preferred a sequel, even without Musker and Clements.
Mooky wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:20 pm Disney is money-hungry so no surprises there, but I believe Dwayne Johnson was instrumental in making this happen. After the debacle that was Black Adam, he's desperate for a franchise/exposure.
I think you're right, but Bob Iger probably had a lot to do with it too. It wasn't clear to me from the video, but it seems Dwayne plans to reprise his role as Maui, so most likely that's also part of why he wants to do it now before he's too old to play the character. Moana herself, though, most likely will be played by a new actress. I suspect Auli'i Cravalho has been given a producer credit as compensation for not appearing. She may get the role of Nani in the Lilo & Stitch remake now too, for the same reason.
Farerb wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:14 pm He also confirms that the TV series is still happening:
I was wondering if this announcement meant the TV series had been cancelled. I'm glad that's not the case.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

We need the Disney vault back. When that thing ended all this evil was unleashed.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Personally, I think a live-action film might be a little better with Dwayne Johnson in real life versus Maui's animated design. I mean, the newer films rely on 3D, which lacks the appeal of hand-drawn animation and most of them (Moana being one of those) aiming to be as hyper-realistic as possible to the point it felt like...why is this movie not just in live-action if that's what you want it to look like???

As for its existence: I, for one, am not surprised. I knew they would move on to TP&TF, Tangled, Frozen, and Moana after a few years. Somehow I don't think Miranda will be treated as disrespectfully as he treated Menken on the TLM remake though. Although I think this soundtrack would be better if they saddled him with another composer like the Lopezes or Pasek & Paul, whereas I don't think Menken or Elton John needed the help quite as much.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

UmbrellaFish wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:26 pm
Mooky wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:20 pmDisney is money-hungry so no surprises there, but I believe Dwayne Johnson was instrumental in making this happen. After the debacle that was Black Adam, he's desperate for a franchise/exposure.
That would explain why Moana was chosen as opposed to something a little older like The Princess and the Frog or Tangled.
I know for a fact that a Tangled live-action remake was in development before the pandemic hit, but got pushed to the back burner since. There have been rumors about TPatF and Frozen getting remakes too, but I can't vouch for those. It's indeed surprising Moana is getting one first, but I agree with Mooky that The Rock was probably the one who pushed for this to move forward so quickly. I wonder what impact this development will have on Jungle Cruise 2. Will it be delayed or will it be cancelled?
D82 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:09 pmIt wasn't clear to me from the video, but it seems Dwayne plans to reprise his role as Maui, so most likely that's also part of why he wants to do it now before he's too old to play the character. Moana herself, though, most likely will be played by a new actress. I suspect Auli'i Cravalho has been given a producer credit as compensation for not appearing. She may get the role of Nani in the Lilo & Stitch remake now too, for the same reason.
It wasn't clear from the video, but it was mentioned in the press release he's reprising his role which makes it weirder that Auli'i isn't returning as Moana. Did Disney not offer her the part? That seems unlikely. She's still in the same age range and it's not that there other actresses of Pacific Island descent with more star power than her. I think she was the one who didn't want to come back. Then again, the remake it's still in early development and years away from hitting theaters, so maybe she'll change her mind and decide to play the part after all.
Avaitor wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:23 pmAt least with the Renaissance films and older, I can understand the appeal of cashing in on nostalgia from those who grew up on them. But three-year-olds who saw Moana in theaters would be ten now. A good amount of the children who've grown up with Moana are still children. Who is this for?
I don't think that's an issue. This isn't aimed at adults who grew up with the original like with other remakes; it's aimed at parents and kids who are watching Moana on a loop on Disney+. This will be an opportunity to watch more Moana and have a family outing together at the theater.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Re: Moana (Live-Action)

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

Man, I feel bad that The Rock decided this was his only way to get a W after an L in trying to take over DC at WB with Black Adam's failure.

Oh well. Looks like the hierarchy in the Disney Live-Action Multiverse is about to change...