Once Upon a Time (ABC TV Series)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

I started watching this on Hulu today so I wandered into this thread. :) I kept thinking it felt like some kind of mash-up between Snow White and Enchanted.

Anyway, it's interesting to be informed that I apparently haven't been an adult for the past 17 years and that my entertainment preferences hold back those that have better taste . . . but hey, at least people can assume I have more money than brains! :p
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

AliceinWonderland, yea, I meant Snow White lol!

Tsom, I'm actually a little surprised by your reaction. Don't you think fairy tale characters can be three-dimensional but still be true to how they were originally written? Don't you think Disney's characters, which believe in good, fairy tale ideals no matter what, are three-dimensional? Like Cinderella? Though I suppose even Cinderella almost gave up hope for one moment...but she wasn't nearly as bitter and cynical as Snow White! The reason we loved Snow White, or any fairy tale heroes, was because they were the opposite of cynical!

Kraken Guard, just like you, this show did make me think about Disney's live-action movie of Maleficent and worry about it, too, but this is definately a different take on Maleficent where she's hardly the same character and it's more like she just has her role i.e. fairy that cursed a princess. And has a magic staff and horns. I think the real live-action Maleficent will be much more faithful and better! But this also did remind me of the Tenth Kingdom and yes, I find the Tenth Kingdom to be way better, but they are two different shows with different ideas and very different approaches, too.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

enigmawing wrote:Anyway, it's interesting to be informed that I apparently haven't been an adult for the past 17 years and that my entertainment preferences hold back those that have better taste . . . but hey, at least people can assume I have more money than brains! :p
:lol: Priceless! :thumb:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

Disney Duster, I don't think of the characters in OUAT as Disney characters. I see them as the characters in their respective fairy tales, even though some of them, like Maleficent, share the same name as their Disney counterparts. I know the creators said that this show is an extension of the Disney characters or something to that effect, but they didn't say the characters will be verbatim like the Disney creations. Snow White as an innocent, naive princess may work for a 1930s audience, but not a 2011 audience. I loved how Snow White had given up on love because it makes her love story with Prince James even more romantic in my opinion.

I know you're all about characters and situations remaining true to their original form (Ex. Rapunzel and Tangled) but I welcome new retellings and interpretations of the same source material, which is why I can't wait for Cinderella's story this Sunday! :-)
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Well it is true these aren't the actual Disney characters. I guess I thought this change to Snow White was even more different than any previous change. Like a totally different character.

But we both can look forward to Cinderella's episode and the rest of the show!
supertalies
Special Edition

Post by supertalies »

I think the fact she gave up on love makes it even more sad she lost it again. She finally found love with James, only to lose it again, and not even rembembering having it.

By the way, Belle has been cast!

Her name is Emilie de Ravin and she played in Lost.

Belle will appear in a future episode and her storyline will also involve Rumplestilskin.
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

Yep, I just found out about Belle! She's slated to appear on episode 12!
supertalies
Special Edition

Post by supertalies »

Six new sneak peeks with Cinderella, including Cinderella and prince Thomas' wedding. Snow White and James were there! :lol:

Also, it seems Cinderella is 19 in the real world (so she's a teen mom, just like Emma was) and her name in Fairytale land is Ella (Cinderella is probably just the name the stepsisters gave her).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwVXIEfdj1I
Sneak Peek 1:
"All magic comes with a price."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rra3JlkTAZ4
Sneak Peek 2:
"There are no fairy godmothers."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzqyZVF2oa4
Sneak Peek 3:
"Anyone can change her life."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFDlIEJJSnc
Sneak Peek 4:
"I'm pregnant."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AScnT7SLr5Q
Sneak Peek 5:
"It's a precious object."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avjYSo2pcnE
Sneak Peek 6:
"It all comes down to the number seven."
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

Awh, Snow White and Cinderella are friends! This is just like The 10th Kingdom where Snow White's son married Cinderella's daughter and they became in-laws. :-)
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

tsom wrote:This is just like The 10th Kingdom where Snow White's son married Cinderella's daughter and they became in-laws.
How did you know this?!
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

Disney Duster wrote:
tsom wrote:This is just like The 10th Kingdom where Snow White's son married Cinderella's daughter and they became in-laws.
How did you know this?!
I don't think it is stated in the movie itself, but I read it somewhere and it is mentioned in a variety of websites and postings about the miniseries. Plus, I think there was a novelization of the movie and further explained people and relationships. Yep, Cinderella was Prince Wendell's maternal grandmother. Also, it makes sense thinking about it. Two powerful royal households (House of Snow White and House of Cinderella) coming together through a marriage. And I think Prince Wendell had to pass some kind of test given by Cinderella during his coronation night. Who better to do it than his grandmother?

Now, this means that Cinderella's daughter was killed by Virginia's mom, but then Cinderella herself out-lived Snow White.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Now wait a sec, Prince Wendell is Snow White's son and Virginia's evil queen mom killed his wife, Cinderella's daughter? I don't remember her killing her Cinderella's daughter in the series either.
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

Snow White is Prince Wendell's paternal grandmother. If you remember, they mentioned something about Virginia's mom killing Wendell's mother by poison, then marrying his father, then killing him as well. If Cinderella's daughter was Wendell's mother, then Virginia's mom must have killed her. This also means Snow White's son was killed by poison as well.
jediliz
Special Edition

Post by jediliz »

I AM loving this show and I don't watch much on the non cable channels (meaning CBS, NBC or ABC). I watch one or two Disney shows....but this Once Upon a Time series.....very unique and interesting and nailbiting and suspenseful and everything else and when they had that opening line about going into our world....and a curse....I immediately thought of Enchanted....minus the music of course.

I'm trying to figure out who Kathrine is in the fairy tale world....I think she's that crazy fiancee that prince james was going to marry....but didn't.

And I am trying to figure out what Snow White did to the queen to get her so angry.....
Disney Channel died when they stopped airing movies with Haley mills (Parent Trap and Pollyanna) and fun adventure movies like Swiss Family Robinson. R.I.P. the REAL Disney Channel. Date of Death: When the shows became teenie bopperish.
supertalies
Special Edition

Post by supertalies »

jediliz wrote:I think she's that crazy fiancee that prince james was going to marry....but didn't. .
She is. :)

However, we don't know which fairytale character she is.
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

I have a theory that James's fiancee is either some random princess the writers made up, or she's the princess from "The Frog Prince". The princess in that fairy tale is the only princess I know that was spoiled and selfish, or at least started off that way.
supertalies
Special Edition

Post by supertalies »

A lot of people also say she's princess Odette from the Swan Lake, because of the feathers on her dress.

I guess we'll have to wait and see. :wink:

Also, here are the first 10 minutes from the next episode:

http://www.spoilertv.com/2011/11/once-u ... of_12.html
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

Tonight's episode was awesome! The funny thing is that Ashley is the name of Cinderella's daughter in The 10th Kingdom, and in OUAT, that's the name of Cinderella's real world counterpart.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Of course! Now I get it! ASHley. CINDERella.

I am surprised that no one's saying how sad they were when Cinderella's fairy godmother got blown up! I mean...I was apalled, and really pretty saddened. I thought Rumplestiltskin was just gonna use the wand to bring her fairy godmother to her, or he stole it and made a deal before giving it back to her godmother, not kill her! It was kinda a wtf shocker moment. She comes in all sparkling and warm and soothing and about to make something wonderful happen and then...kaboom! I officially hate Rumplestiltskin now! He's worse than the queen!

I don't get how they can change the fairy tales that much. It would have made more sense (and no unecessary killing!) to have the godmother do all she did in how the story goes, but Rumpelstiltskin, as a guest at the ball, says to Cinderella, "I know the magic will end...but what if I made it last forever?" And then he makes the deal with her, and he uses his own magic to make her shoe fall and lead the prince to use it to find her. What do you think? Maybe he would even do wicked magic to the stepfamily to stop them from keeping her from the slipper fitting, that would be funny and great to see!

Aaand...since Rumpelstiltskin used the wand instead of just his own magic to transform Cinderella, it should have had that gold magic "dust" effect that belonged to the wand and fairy godmother. You know me and details like that. :P

Aside from all that...it was a great episode, beautiful costumes, scenery, acting, and twists and turns. The subject of the episode strangely touched on our recent abortion topic... The only thing is, everyone was saying how Cinderella and Ashley should change their lives themselves because their are no fairy godmothers...but lo and behold, it is Emma who acts as her fairy godmother to save her and her baby. Was that supposed to be the point? She was trying to run away to change her life, but it was best that she had a friend to help her?
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

Snow White: This is truly a night for celebration. Do you realize what an inspiration you are to everyone?

Cinderella: All I did was get married.

Snow White: All you did was show that anyone can change her life. I'm proud of you.

That was my favorite scene! I love how everyone accepted Cinderella, even though she was a commoner. :-)

And Duster, I really like your idea! But I guess there was only so much that can be shown! I really hope the Cinderella story is not done yet!