Once Upon a Time (ABC TV Series)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

atlanticaunderthesea wrote:
ajmrowland wrote:When I have money, you know I'll be watching this cuz It sounds that good.
.....is that sarcasm ? Sorry if I'm wrong, just sounds like it.
Nope. I've been very interested but never really watched the show at all. and I'm broke right now.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Four weeks from Sunday and our beloved series will be back on the air. Season Two begins Sunday, September 30th at 8 pm Eastern and Pacific and 7 Central.

Hope that most of you also bought Season One on DVD to relive the magic and get caught up on all the behind-the-scenes stuff.

I am ready for the new season to start.

For those who watch "Grimm", it had an early start two weeks ago and it has really started off strong. Love both of these shows.
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

I heard Grimm had a really hard time with its logic and characters in the first season.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

ajmrowland wrote:
atlanticaunderthesea wrote: .....is that sarcasm ? Sorry if I'm wrong, just sounds like it.
Nope. I've been very interested but never really watched the show at all. and I'm broke right now.
Well when you get round to watching it, I'm sure you will enjoy it! It is such an amazing show. on itunes UK they are only £1.89 for a episode in SD; maybe try one on there ?

You guys are so lucky, we have to wait until Spring !
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

I just finished THE ENTIRE FIRST SEASON of "Once Upon a Time". I decided to check out all of it due to all the hype going around it. What did I think of it?

I LOVED IT.

But before I even begin to talk about why I loved it so much, let me get the negatives out of the way first. I will join everyone in the belief that the show does have flawed script writing. The concept is fantastic, the back stories for each character and how they are tied to present day Storybrooke is fantastic. But it also features some really stilted, at times wooden, and even silly dialogue. It kind of reminds me of the Wachowski Brothers (The Matrix) in that they feel like the dialogue needs to be grand, epic and theatrical, and instead comes off as being pretentious as silly. "Once Upon a Time" doesn't go that far, but it is noticeable. There are also some stories that just seem to "end", like Ruby's story.

Then there's the first half of the first season. We get this elaborate, epic set up along with fascinating flashbacks for each character. Then we get what is basically a very pretty soap opera with all the love triangles, the backstabbing, the two female leads butting heads constant, so on and so forth. I feel the show loses steam when it focuses on the tired relationship stories...

HOWEVER.

The show greatly succeeds at one thing: keeping the audience interested and watching till the end. I feel this is set up greatly thanks to all the flashbacks and back stories the show presents to us. Part of that successful equation in the characters of Henry and Emma. I did read once that some believed that the characters weren't all that interesting and failed as characters because they weren't as developed as the other characters.

I will agree that the show gets us to sympathize with the two of them, and that their schtick does grow old at times. But for me at least, I didn't mind these flaws. Because I saw them as our guides to the complex story. Emma, despite being the hero, is more like a blank slate for the viewer to relate to. She, like us, is confused about everything going on in Storybrooke, seeking answers that are not given right away, and just like Emma, we stick around and try to make the best out of everything just to see a conclusion through it all. Emma also represents our emotions as we witness the events. Emma gets angry because we get angry. We grow happy at the same time as she does.

Henry is our guide, a part of us that does that these characters are real. He is there to make sense of everything, and we believe him. I do agree that they should have let us know why he knows so much about the curse while he isn't related to any of the characters or stories. But for me, his role as a guide as great, and at the end we grow to be fond of him to make the ending that more powerful.

Speaking of which, we already know that the characters are cursed. The fun of it all is seeing how they will eventually break out of it, and how their present lives mimic or contrast their stories in the realms. I loved that the stories manage to pay tribute to the classic stories and even Disney, while still putting a new spin on them. It doesn't feel critical or satirical, like "oh these stories are rubbish, we must make them realistic to meet our standards blah blah blah", but it doesn't keep them light or fluffy in terms of characterization and plot.

Snow White, for example, gets the biggest push here (notable since the main characters ARE from this story). I loved that it is a very layered story, that it is more than just a "vain woman gets jealous of beautiful young lady" story. The fact that they made the Queen's past a complex one is more than fantastic in my eyes. The Queen/Regina is a very effective villain for that: she does have a reason as to why she is so angry and bitter, and we sympathize with her for that, but we still don't forgive her sins and what she did to the other characters.

The stories they told were also great. My favorites so far are Dreamy/Grumpy's story, Jiminy Cricket's story (the one with his parents), and Prince Charming's story (with King Midas). I can't say there are any bad ones for me, Riding Hood's story seemed to be the weakest for me, and that still took me by surprise. The Belle/Rump story was also a favorite of mine, and I believe that's when the story took a turn for the better.

I think that after episode 15 or so, the stories finally realized that things needed to be stepped up in terms of conflict. All we were getting were stories of how Emma tried to foil Regina, and Regina always had the upper hand. But once the "murder" takes place, we finally see just how Regina can be and we get a plot worth investing time in.

As for the season finale, I LOVED how it finished a major story arc. I was afraid that Once Upon a Time was going to turn into one of those goal driven shows where they try to establish an ending, but never reach it. The season finale did a good job of closing the first arc of the story while teasing the second arc. I hope that season 2 manages to close the book (no pun intended) on some of the other story arcs, and that the fairy tales they choose to tell are there to provide something engage, not be included for the sake of fanservice and "because they could" (something I think happened with Glee, but that's another thread to troll :p ).

So long story short: Once Upon a Time is worthy of its praise and hype. It is still a fairly flawed show, but I am glad that I saw it, and can't wait to see what happens in season two.
ImageImageImageImage

Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oB-vEoE65M8" frameborder="0"></iframe>
supertalies
Special Edition

Post by supertalies »

That looks awesome :D
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

How many of you are watching the ABC Marathon of "Once Upon A Time"? It all started Sunday with the first four episodes, and will continue through the 30th of September, with four episodes each Sunday until we get our opening of Season Two.

It really makes a difference to watch four episodes back to back and some of the back stories make a lot better sense now.
jediliz
Special Edition

Post by jediliz »

dvdjunkie wrote:How many of you are watching the ABC Marathon of "Once Upon A Time"? It all started Sunday with the first four episodes, and will continue through the 30th of September, with four episodes each Sunday until we get our opening of Season Two.

It really makes a difference to watch four episodes back to back and some of the back stories make a lot better sense now.
um.....Revenge repeats on the 16th and then the Emmys are on the 23rd.

If you want to do a marathon, purchase season 1 on dvd or blu ray and watch at home minus the commercial breaks ABC would take. ABC didn't air the first 4 episodes...it was more like Episode 1, Red's episode, then the last two this past weekend. Revenge gets a repeat marthon next sunday.
Disney Channel died when they stopped airing movies with Haley mills (Parent Trap and Pollyanna) and fun adventure movies like Swiss Family Robinson. R.I.P. the REAL Disney Channel. Date of Death: When the shows became teenie bopperish.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

jediliz wrote: If you want to do a marathon, purchase season 1 on dvd or blu ray and watch at home minus the commercial breaks ABC would take.
Has anyone here bought the DVD or Blu-Ray yet (or is it not out)? I plan to buy it eventually once it comes down to $40. I've heard the season 1 set has a lot of cut material, which I would like to know more about.

I don't know if the show will stay on the same level quality-wise through season 2 or not--a lot of shows suffer in their second seasons--but I'd be surprised if this show lasts more than 4-5 seasons at the most. Still, I'm interested in where they might be going after the finale.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

jediliz wrote:
.Revenge repeats on the 16th
Check your entertainment guide, because next Sunday at 6 pm Central time we get another four episodes of "Once Upon A Time" and that is what my DVR says, I just checked.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Oh my gosh, did you guys see the ABC fall promo ?! It is so so so exciting!

I can't link it on here sadly, as I am at work, but did you guys manage to catch it ?
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

YES ! I am so glad that they went with this poster in the end.

Epic.

http://www.cinemablend.com/television/O ... 46861.html
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

....and the promo I mentioned previously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVs3z2lGxwY.

(Sorry for all the posts).
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

I'm about midway through the first season on Netflix. Really enjoying the show so far, and just saw a reference to Space Paranoids! :D
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Oh my gosh this is COOL !

http://www.youtube.com/MagicIsComing

Just watch the video .... doesn't end up being what you think!
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

"Once Upon A Time" returns this Sunday at 7pm Eastern/6 CEntral beginning with an hour-long review of Season One and then at 8 pm will be the Season Two premier episode.

I know where I will be at 6 pm on Sunday, and it won't be watching Football. This is probably my favorite show on the ABC schedule right now.
AladdinFan
Special Edition

Post by AladdinFan »

Can't wait for OUAT and Revenge. Both shows are addicting. My Sundays night.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

It still hurts that we can't see them until the Spring :cry: