DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:48 am 
Offline
Collector's Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:29 pm
Posts: 778
For anyone who has either edition of the book, does it talk about the time period that the animated Beauty and the Beast is set in? I got a chance to skim through it, but I only found a date of 1709 which one of the earlier drafts was set in.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:24 am 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 4:44 pm
Posts: 2453
Location: Sarajevo, B&H Gender: Male
DisneyFan09 wrote:
To answer your question, Mooky. It's essentially the same book, just with a new (black) cover and a couple of new pages with the New Fantasyland attraction and the live action remake. The rest of the pages are still there.

Thank you very much! I assume you don't have any pictures of it other than what can be found online?
JeanGreyForever wrote:
For anyone who has either edition of the book, does it talk about the time period that the animated Beauty and the Beast is set in? I got a chance to skim through it, but I only found a date of 1709 which one of the earlier drafts was set in.

No problem, I'll be sure to check it again and get back to you.

I also received my copy of "Aladdin: A Whole New World - The Road to Broadway and Beyond" yesterday. I've only skimmed through it quickly and it's a gorgeous, lush book, but... I was under the impression it would also cover the making of the animated film in great detail, but it seems to be just about the Broadway show. I'll have to go through it thoroughly to confirm it (there were no reviews on Amazon prior to my purchase and there still are none).

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:09 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 4:44 pm
Posts: 2453
Location: Sarajevo, B&H Gender: Male
Okay, I checked the book again and the only date mentioned is, like you said, 1709, and it pertains to the original script (Richard Purdum's version of the film). The quote is:
Quote:
Linda's initial script was set in eighteenth century France; the artists in London chose 1709 as the date. But the later years of Louis XIV were rather drab. [...] By that time, men had stopped wearing the huge court wigs and long coats. They hadn't really adopted what we think of as the classic eighteenth-century style.

No subsequent mention of the year the film is set in is made in the book as far as I can tell.

As for "A Whole New World - The Road to Broadway and Beyond", I read it in more detail, and no, there isn't practically anything about the original film other than it being the source of inspiration for the show and a couple of stills. There is a section on music and lyrics though with pages dedicated to Howard Ashman, Alan Menken, and Tim Rice, which are actually quite nice and informative. The book is amazing otherwise, very nicely made, with high quality images and in-depth coverage of the show's history and production. However, I expected (and would have preferred) something more about the 1992 film. Here's hoping another book about Aladdin comes out soon, perhaps close to the live-action version's release? For now, "Disney's Aladdin: The Making of an Animated Film" will have to do. If you're a fan of the Broadway show you'll really enjoy "A Whole New World" and it's a must-have, but for others I wouldn't recommend the purchase.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:57 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:02 am
Posts: 8442
Location: America
The best Aladdin book there has been so far for the actual film is probably "Disney's Aladdin: The Making of an Animated Film". I haven't read the whole thing. It's weird I even bought it because Aladdin is not high in my Disney top favorites list. I kind of read it to read about the magic parts. Anyway, from what I saw of the book, it looks like the best for Aladdin fans.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:35 pm 
Offline
Collector's Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:29 pm
Posts: 778
Mooky wrote:
Okay, I checked the book again and the only date mentioned is, like you said, 1709, and it pertains to the original script (Richard Purdum's version of the film). The quote is:
Quote:
Linda's initial script was set in eighteenth century France; the artists in London chose 1709 as the date. But the later years of Louis XIV were rather drab. [...] By that time, men had stopped wearing the huge court wigs and long coats. They hadn't really adopted what we think of as the classic eighteenth-century style.

No subsequent mention of the year the film is set in is made in the book as far as I can tell.

Thank you so much for checking! It's funny how we know the official time period for the earlier draft of the film and even the live-action film but not the actual animated film itself. What I found interesting were some of the earlier plotlines the film nearly had. The one where the prince is one of three brothers was really crazy imo...even more so than Rapunzel Unbraided and any other wacky ideas for Disney films.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:24 am 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:02 am
Posts: 8442
Location: America
Quote:
Linda's initial script was set in eighteenth century France; the artists in London chose 1709 as the date. But the later years of Louis XIV were rather drab. [...] By that time, men had stopped wearing the huge court wigs and long coats. They hadn't really adopted what we think of as the classic eighteenth-century style.

This makes no sense. Louis XIV reigned until 1715. That was just beginning of the "eighteenth-century style". If not, then it makes no sense that in the live-action film that is set in the 1740's, the men are wearing big wigs and long coats!

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:24 pm 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:00 pm
Posts: 1276
Disney Duster wrote:
The best Aladdin book there has been so far for the actual film is probably "Disney's Aladdin: The Making of an Animated Film". I haven't read the whole thing. It's weird I even bought it because Aladdin is not high in my Disney top favorites list. I kind of read it to read about the magic parts. Anyway, from what I saw of the book, it looks like the best for Aladdin fans.

is that the first book that came out back when the movie was released in 1992? I have that book and its a shame that its still really the only book about the film available out there. It has an ok selection of concept art and animation drawing but the quality of the film stills is pretty terrible.

there a re a number of Disney classic animated films that really need good or updated making of books.
(Im not counting books that were part of dvd release box sets.)

Fantasia-it has a very old one but it really needs a new version with better film stills
Bambi-again an older book is available but it needs a new one.
Dumbo
Peter Pan
Lady & the Tramp
Sleeping Beauty
101 Dalmatians
Jungle Book
Aristocats
Little Mermaid-how has this not gotten a decent art book after all these years!
Aladdin-

didn't list Cinderella or Alice as Im not sure how extensive the recent art books tied to the live action films were. Also only listed the films Disney feels are classic/popular. I would love one for Oliver & Company but I doubt that will ever get an art of book, lol.

_________________
Support To Belong
Hullabaloo


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:38 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:59 pm
Posts: 3744
Location: S.H.I.E.L.D. Headquarters
unprincess wrote:
there a re a number of Disney classic animated films that really need good or updated making of books.
(Im not counting books that were part of dvd release box sets.)

Fantasia-it has a very old one but it really needs a new version with better film stills
Bambi-again an older book is available but it needs a new one.
Dumbo
Peter Pan
Lady & the Tramp
Sleeping Beauty
101 Dalmatians
Jungle Book
Aristocats
Little Mermaid-how has this not gotten a decent art book after all these years!
Aladdin-

didn't list Cinderella or Alice as Im not sure how extensive the recent art books tied to the live action films were. Also only listed the films Disney feels are classic/popular. I would love one for Oliver & Company but I doubt that will ever get an art of book, lol.


Charles Solomon's "Once Upon a Dream" is an excellent book on the making of Sleeping Beauty. It has a section devoted to "Maleficent", but is mostly about the animation. It follows the same format as "A Wish Your Heart Makes" and "Tale as Old as Time".

Now that Mr. Solomon has written three books of a similar nature, I expect more to follow in that style for Aladdin, Little Mermaid and others when their live-action remakes come out.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:31 am 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 4:44 pm
Posts: 2453
Location: Sarajevo, B&H Gender: Male
JeanGreyForever wrote:
Thank you so much for checking!

You're welcome :).
unprincess wrote:
is that the first book that came out back when the movie was released in 1992? I have that book and its a shame that its still really the only book about the film available out there. It has an ok selection of concept art and animation drawing but the quality of the film stills is pretty terrible.

Yes, that's the one. It's infamous for never actually mentioning Robin Williams' name due to his falling out with Disney at the time. He's referred to as "the voice of the Genie" throughout the book. Another advantage of a new Aladdin book would be righting that wrong.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:28 pm 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:00 pm
Posts: 1276
^oh yes I remember reading about that and thinking how awkward that was back then. That's definitely another reason we need a new book.

Quote:
Charles Solomon's "Once Upon a Dream" is an excellent book on the making of Sleeping Beauty. It has a section devoted to "Maleficent", but is mostly about the animation. It follows the same format as "A Wish Your Heart Makes" and "Tale as Old as Time".



I thought I read here that the Maleficent book wasn't as extensive on the animated film coverage as it was on the live action one. Maybe I confused it with one of the other recent books that covers both the classic animated and live action films?

also I wonder why the live action Jungle Book didn't get a section of its book devoted to the animated film.

_________________
Support To Belong
Hullabaloo


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:39 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:02 am
Posts: 8442
Location: America
From what I remember, the Sleeping Beauty Once Upon a Dream book just didn't cover as much as the animated film as it could have or should have. It didn't even mention how Prince Phillip was originally going to be on a scavenger hunt in the forest before he finds Briar Rose. I dunno. It could have had more I thought. However, I thought the Cinderella A Wish Your Heart Makes book was perfect. I don't think I very much at all felt anything was lacking. Myabe more from the version of the film that was going to have two balls, Maurice Rapf's version of the story, or more on the stepmother's character and Cinderella's sweet vs. intelligent making of the character.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:19 pm 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:00 pm
Posts: 1276
^thanks! Hopefully someday they will make complete art books for the Walt Era classic films like the ones that already exist for Snow White & Pinocchio.

_________________
Support To Belong
Hullabaloo


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:43 am 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:02 am
Posts: 8442
Location: America
Yes. Indeed. There kind of does exist one for Sleeping Beauty by Pierre Lambert. The only downside to it (other than being in French) is that it doesn't really delve into how Sleeping Beauty came to it's look. It's more focused on the actual backgrounds and cels. But maybe that's what you're looking for? He did books for Snow White and Pinocchio so, maybe that's actually the same guy who did the books you are thinking of, so Sleeping Beauty got what you wanted?

Here's a link to buy it on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Belle-Bois-Dorma ... B00FHBV3A8

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:13 am 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:54 am
Posts: 11726
Location: USA
Here’s A Book About The Hundreds Of Women Artists Who Helped Create The Disney Classics
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/books/heres- ... 50384.html

I just pre-ordered this!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:43 pm 
Offline
Collector's Edition
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 3:58 am
Posts: 961
Location: Timisoara, Romania
Any new Snow White books for the 80th Anniversary?

Beside the new Cinestory Comic. Already pre-ordered that one :D

_________________
Image

If you're a fan of Disney animation, like my Facebook fanpage


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:47 am 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:02 am
Posts: 8442
Location: America
It turns out the Pierre Lambert Sleeping Beauty book does talk about and show how Sleeping Beauty got it's look, but it doesn't go into the story of the film, at least that I'm aware of.

Also, I don't know if all the second wave of Disney Princess "The Story of" books will be coming out. The Jasmine one came out but may have poor binding apparently. But the Auora one was supposed to come out this past September, then this October, but now it says it isn't coming in October and is available in used condition at $500 from other sellers?!

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:45 am 
Offline
Collector's Edition
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:15 am
Posts: 760
Location: NETHERLANDS, THE
Can any one tell me where I can hunt down
Image

_________________
When it comes to brains, I got the lion-share,
but when it comes to bruth strength, I'm afraid I'm at the shallow end of the gene pool
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:24 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:26 pm
Posts: 9233
Location: North Carolina Gender: Male
Did anyone ever get Taschen's 620 page art book that went through 1968? I was just thinking of getting it myself, but I'd like to ask someone who has it how much detail is placed on each film (including short films) and how much is put on other things (shorts, f.e.)? Thanks if there's anyone who bought it and can comment.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:15 pm 
Offline
Collector's Edition
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:15 am
Posts: 760
Location: NETHERLANDS, THE
Hey Divinity! As someone who has more than a few books regarding this time period I bought it and was simply overwhelmed by the detail involved. ..good from cover to cover..hungry for more ;) look here ... https://youtu.be/WB3_MVW3pes

_________________
When it comes to brains, I got the lion-share,
but when it comes to bruth strength, I'm afraid I'm at the shallow end of the gene pool
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:21 am 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:54 am
Posts: 11726
Location: USA
^ Thanks for that video, Reiner! I've had this book on my Amazon wish list, but didn't want to pay that price w/o knowing what's in it. (And P.S., it's on sale for only $116 right now on Amazon.)

Also, I *just* discovered a new Eyvind Earle book!
Awaking Beauty: The Art of Eyvind Earle by Ioan Szasz that came out last month.

And there's also the new Oswald book:
Oswald the Lucky Rabbit: The Search for the Lost Disney Cartoons by David A. Bossert


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group